facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 17, 2017, 01:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Anyone want to 2 tickets to the Bangladesh-Australia Champions Trophy match???

Buddy and mine had to cancel our planned trip to the UK and we have 2 tickets in the "silver" section up for grabs.

We are asking $35 USD for each ticket, so if anyone wants it, please let me know. We are the in US, btw.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old April 17, 2017, 01:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Who is getting married?
Old April 17, 2017, 01:53 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

does $35 include air fare and hotel?
Old April 17, 2017, 05:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: MashTamimFiqur al Hasan

i would like to take this bro
Old April 17, 2017, 07:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Who is getting married?
Buzlam na...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 17, 2017, 07:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
does $35 include air fare and hotel?
Good one. That would have been a sweet deal!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 18, 2017, 03:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Anyone please going and will observe Fasting, please can you write to the Oval to provide a prayer area. I will InshahAllah write to them myself.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Buzlam na...
Wahid bhaiya, Bujhba kamney!!! We don't cancel overseas Cricket game/vacation unless it is VERRRRY important. Was thinking you must be getting married or what else can block the planned trip?
Old April 18, 2017, 12:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Wahid bhaiya, Bujhba kamney!!! We don't cancel overseas Cricket game/vacation unless it is VERRRRY important. Was thinking you must be getting married or what else can block the planned trip?
Nikkah korte 5 minute o lage na...trip cancel korbu keno?

No buddy had work related conflicts...so we both have to try and convince Delta to refund us our airfare now. Fortunately, we didnt book the hotel.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 18, 2017, 03:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Nikkah korte 5 minute o lage na...trip cancel korbu keno?

No buddy had work related conflicts...so we both have to try and convince Delta to refund us our airfare now. Fortunately, we didnt book the hotel.
tomar jonno 5 minute laage...

There is a rule in life... nothing stops for nobody. Your buddy has work related conflicts.. you don't.

I have a friend who scheduled a trip to spain couple of years ago with a friend... So they went to the airport and my friend found out she has a passport that is to expire in less than 3 months (you can't visit europe with a passport that will expire in 3 months - some things u learn from experience or lack of planning maybe)...

you know what that other friend did... boarded the plane and left for spain...

you should do the same... find someone else to go with or go by yourself.... These days alone trip are better than tagging with someone else.. it's a new thing ppl travelling by themselves.

Good luck.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
tomar jonno 5 minute laage...

There is a rule in life... nothing stops for nobody. Your buddy has work related conflicts.. you don't.

I have a friend who scheduled a trip to spain couple of years ago with a friend... So they went to the airport and my friend found out she has a passport that is to expire in less than 3 months (you can't visit europe with a passport that will expire in 3 months - some things u learn from experience or lack of planning maybe)...

you know what that other friend did... boarded the plane and left for spain...

you should do the same... find someone else to go with or go by yourself.... These days alone trip are better than tagging with someone else.. it's a new thing ppl travelling by themselves.

Good luck.
Actually I wanted to cancel before him. I have heard anecdotal stories of people being harassed by TSA upon returning to the US.

With my dictatorial name, dark skin thats a risk Id like to avoid for the time being. And if I somehow survive that, unlike most other Bengalis, I have lips big enough to confuse me for Black Panther.

My friend said, "we can't let the islamophobes win." My answer is its not a cricket match with winners and losers.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 18, 2017, 09:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

No offense but that is the dumbest reason to cancel a trip .... specially when you are American born .... don't believe everything you hear ... AIR travel these days is an inconvenience for most ppl these days... if u travel a lot u can also consider signing up for global entry that may make things a little easier ....

Anyways it's a personal choice ..besides cricket games aren't really that enjoyable from stadium ... one of the few sports u can't appreciate the nuances live ...
Old April 18, 2017, 10:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
No offense but that is the dumbest reason to cancel a trip .... specially when you are American born .... don't believe everything you hear ... AIR travel these days is an inconvenience for most ppl these days... if u travel a lot u can also consider signing up for global entry that may make things a little easier ....

Anyways it's a personal choice ..besides cricket games aren't really that enjoyable from stadium ... one of the few sports u can't appreciate the nuances live ...
Well I have friends who cancelled a trip overseas for that very reason, and his wife is a white woman named Rachel.

I agree its probably overly paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

I was actually looking forward more to visiting the tourist areas, shopping at Herrods, and trying to figure out what the big deal about 'soi fita' in East London. My buddy is a real Bengali, although he speaks with a marked American accent. It would have been a good week to practice my Sylheti skills and introduce him to Sylheti culture.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 19, 2017, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Dayum... I am gonna be traveling to the US in June and am pretty worried they will block me in the immigration for no reason. I even have a valid visa from 2014 that expires in 5 years. Just emailed the consulate here asking for details on whether I am still allowed. Bloody hell!! I have too much self pride in being questioned and harassed! But with what I am hearing things are not looking good is it?
Old April 19, 2017, 02:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Dayum... I am gonna be traveling to the US in June and am pretty worried they will block me in the immigration for no reason. I even have a valid visa from 2014 that expires in 5 years. Just emailed the consulate here asking for details on whether I am still allowed. Bloody hell!! I have too much self pride in being questioned and harassed! But with what I am hearing things are not looking good is it?
Its possible. Not everyone will have problems, but some people are guaranteed too. Law of averages.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 19, 2017, 03:12 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
I am going to San Fran in May so I can tell you the results
Old April 19, 2017, 07:38 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Quote:
Well I have friends who cancelled a trip overseas for that very reason, and his wife is a white woman named Rachel.

I was actually looking forward more to visiting the tourist areas, shopping at Herrods, and trying to figure out what the big deal about 'soi fita' in East London. My buddy is a real Bengali, although he speaks with a marked American accent. It would have been a good week to practice my Sylheti skills and introduce him to Sylheti culture.
Herrod is overrated. Dont go anywhere near East London.
Im visiting my uncle next year. God forbid they harasse me. I will end up getting banned from USA
Old April 19, 2017, 07:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Quote:

Im visiting my uncle next year. God forbid they harasse me. I will end up getting banned from USA
Old April 19, 2017, 08:32 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I am going to San Fran in May so I can tell you the results
Any plan to visit NY then?
Old April 19, 2017, 10:00 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I do have the same paranoia like Alfie. But my biggest worry is that BD will not play well and then I can't justify all this travelling and hassle.

days off from work, traveling paranoia, getting molested by airport security, flying across the Atlantic, updating my social media feeds regularly to show I am cool as I travel, plus all the hotel and food cost -- to only see Tamim dancing down the track. Is it worth it?
Old April 19, 2017, 02:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepu
They have good desi food at Herrods. Im wouldnt buy anything else. But if Herrods is over-rated than they all are.

I have khala, khalu, cousins in East London. I need to polish my Sylheti skills...Ajfar can attest to how poor it is!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 19, 2017, 04:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Travel was always a hassle in/out of United States for people with a skin color other than white and/or Muslim/Islamic ethnicity/name post 9/11. Nothing new. even Comedian Trevor Noah was profiled . American Olympic fencer Ibtihaaj Mohammad and even Mohammad Ali's son was profiled and harassed at the airport. .

I can understand sister Ibtihaaj Mohammd's case. People were expecting her to win some Gold for US.
Old April 19, 2017, 09:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I do have the same paranoia like Alfie. But my biggest worry is that BD will not play well and then I can't justify all this travelling and hassle.

days off from work, traveling paranoia, getting molested by airport security, flying across the Atlantic, updating my social media feeds regularly to show I am cool as I travel, plus all the hotel and food cost -- to only see Tamim dancing down the track. Is it worth it?
this totally reminded me of my own experience during the last World Cup. I traveled from Sydney to Melbourne to watch BD v SL. Took me 12 hours by car and stayed at a person's house. Slept uncomfortably and dealt with so much hassle. Get to the ground and before you know it SL are like 330/1 or something. Witnessed like 6 drop catches. And then first over Tamim gets a duck and bowled by Malinga. Most pointless journey of my life.

However the only memorable moment was when Soumya hit like 3/4 consecutive boundaries off some glorious cover drives. Worst thing is I get home and search everywhere be it google or youtube to find highlights of the shots Soumya played and its literally nowhere to be found on the internet. So the only memorable moment I have i cant even re-live it.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
this totally reminded me of my own experience during the last World Cup. I traveled from Sydney to Melbourne to watch BD v SL. Took me 12 hours by car and stayed at a person's house. Slept uncomfortably and dealt with so much hassle. Get to the ground and before you know it SL are like 330/1 or something. Witnessed like 6 drop catches. And then first over Tamim gets a duck and bowled by Malinga. Most pointless journey of my life.

However the only memorable moment was when Soumya hit like 3/4 consecutive boundaries off some glorious cover drives. Worst thing is I get home and search everywhere be it google or youtube to find highlights of the shots Soumya played and its literally nowhere to be found on the internet. So the only memorable moment I have i cant even re-live it.
I have a story as well along these lines, equally if not even more heartbreaking and it even has a BC connection.

In the year 2012, the T20 WC was held in Sri Lanka, couldn't miss it this time as I missed the 2011 wc at home and I actually cried that time, first WC at home and I saw the cheerful celebration everywhere on youtube and whoever I talked to on the phone. Was living in Singapore at that time btw, so had to go this time, went with 6 other friends and the whole trip was organized around the first match between NZ and Bangladesh. The BC connection was that I contact Zunaid bhai before the trip and got Rabeed Imam's email address and organized a meet and greet with the players before the match, we were all students and had a Bengali community in Singapore so we actually carried two posters with everyone's signature and inspirational messages. Well, the original one was lost in the airport by the friend that was carrying it though, I went back to the airport and searched everywhere, couldnt find it, so had to forge up another one. I remember I signed for 5 others, when we took a picture with Mushfique everyone asked this is not the original poster and had to tell the story of what happened only then. That was quite embarrassing.

Anyways, stayed in SL for 5 days, traveled to a lot of places around the island. Kandy, Galle, Colombo in those 5 days and I loved Sri Lanka. I could go on and on but I would love to go back there, and it is so cheap. I remember once the sea started on the way to Galle it stayed that way. Lovely sceneries and everyone actually seemed very friendly and accomodating. Anyways, before the game started we were all excited to meet the players, I knew the hotel they were staying because Rabeed Imam had emailed me and let me know, so reached the hotel and I see all the players just wondering around looking at us but not really talking to us. Only Ashraful came and said oh you are the ones that flew in from Singapore, "khelar por dekha hobe", I shook hands with Tamim Iqbal and took photos with him and told him I recently changed my facebook nick to "Tanvir Iqbal Khan", at that time everyone was doing it and he actually laughed and seemed like a really nice guy. When we met Saqlain Mustaq he seemed friendly and said "Watching games is good but remember to pray for Namaz too", we had a hindu friend among us and he was like "Why is he telling me this". Thanks to Rabeed Imam and Zunaid bhai for setting that up too, unfortunately that was the only high point in that tour. We took everyone's signature on a bat we bought from Kandy, on the way to the hotelm, what happened to those bats after the match was another story. We went to the stadium playing "Cholo Bangladesh" on repeat mode, we were feeling really proud to be Bangladeshis. Although the feeling got destroyed in the next few hours.

What was to follow was a devastating series of blows by Kalam bhai. Reached century in no time, I remember Mashrafe started with 5 wides and it went just downhill after that. Only Nasir scored a half century and there was no other high point I could remember. Nasir took a spectacular catch right infront of us too diving. The way Kalam bhai scored a century took away all the fun we were about to have in the tour, we had tickets for West Indies vs Australia we didn't watch that, we also could have stayed back for the Pak game but chose not to. With the super 8 out of the question basically we lost all motivation to watch cricket, having traveled all the way there. When we came out of the stadium a couple of Sri Lankan kids were even mocking us calling us things like "Bangla stupidd". All of us had Bangladeshi jerseys on, and even painted our face with the flag so it was easy to spot us.

After the match obviously we didn't go back and meet Ashraful and co. I think if we went back there that night they would have been more welcoming, maybe. I sometimes blame myself, what if their concentration and focus had waned because of us being there before the match. One thing I did notice though at that time the players seemed unaffected with the loss. Like you could tell they just didn't care if they lost, I never told this to anyone but that's what it really looked like from outside. Well I guess these are all superstitions or guesses. So Zunaid bhai told me to write up a story on my experience in exchange to him helping me meet the players, after all these years here I am writing it, but I hope I made up with my piece on the Afghanistan match that happened in Canberra. Yah didn't write it till now because as you can imagine, I had a nightmarish experience going all the way to Sri Lanka from Singapore, spending tonnes of money, hyping the trip up and eventually getting thrashed left right and centre.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:46 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Any plan to visit NY then?
Not this time Roman Bro