facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Martial arts thread

Quote:
  1. To practice properly Aikido, you must:
    Calm the spirit and return to the source.
    Cleanse the body and spirit by removing all malice, selfishness, and desire.
  2. Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love.
  3. Budo is not a means of felling the opponent by force or by lethal weapons. Neither is it intended to lead the world to destruction by arms and other illegitimate means. True Budo calls for bringing the inner energy of the universe in order, protecting the peace of the world , as well as preserving, everything in nature in its right form.
    If your opponent tries to pull you, let him pull. Don't pull against him; pull in unison with him.
    Aikido does not rely on weapons or brute force to succeed; instead we put ourselves in tune with the universe, maintain peace in our own realms, nurture life, and prevent death and destruction. The true meaning of the term "samurai" is one who serves and adheres to the power of love.
  4. Foster and polish the warrior spirit while serving in the world; illuminate the path according to your inner light.
  5. Even though our path is completely different from the warrior arts of the past, it is not necessary to abandon totally the old ways. Absorb venerable traditions into this Art by clothing them with fresh garments, and building on the classic styles to create better forms.
  6. Day after day train your heart out, refining your technique: Use the One to strike the Many! That is the discipline of the Warrior.
  7. The Way of a Warrior cannot be encompassed by words or in letters: grasp the essence and move on toward realization!
  8. The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit.
  9. Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.
  10. Instructors can impart only a fraction of the teaching. It is through your own devoted practice that the mysteries of Aikido are brought to life.
  11. The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love, and sincerity; the heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship. Emphasis on the physical aspects of warriorship is futile, for the power of the body is always limited.
  12. A true warrior is always armed with three things: the radiant sword of pacification; the mirror of bravery, wisdom, and friendship; and the precious jewel of enlightenment.
    Aikido is the principle of non-resistance. Because it is non-resistant, it is victorious from the beginning. Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. Aikido is invincible because it contends with nothing.
  13. There are no contests in Aikido. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within.
  14. To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is Aikido.
  15. The totally awakened warrior can freely utilize all elements contained in heaven and earth. The true warrior learns how to correctly perceive the activity of the universe and how to transform martial techniques into vehicles of purity, goodness, and beauty. A warrior's mind and body must be permeated with enlightened wisdom and deep calm.
  16. It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses.
  17. A good stance and posture reflect a proper state of mind.
  18. The key to good technique is to keep your hands, feet, and hips straight and centered. If you are centered, you can move freely. The physical center is your belly; if your mind is set there as well, you are assured of victory in any endeavor.
  19. Move like a beam of light: fly like lightning, strike like thunder, whirl in circles around a stable center.
  20. Techniques employ four qualities that reflect the nature of our world. Depending on the circumstance, you should be: hard as a diamond, flexible as a willow, smooth-flowing like water, or as empty as space.
  21. If your opponent strikes with fire, counter with water, becoming completely fluid and free-flowing. Water, by its nature, never collides with or breaks against anything. On the contrary, it swallows up any attack harmlessly.
  22. The techniques of Aikido are neither fast nor slow, nor are they inside or outside. They transcend time and space.
  23. When an opponent comes forward, move in and greet him; if he wants to pull back, send him on his way.
  24. The body should be triangular, the mind circular. The triangle represents the generation of energy and is the most stable physical posture. The circle symbolizes serenity and perfection, the source of unlimited techniques. The square stands for solidity, the basis of applied control.
  25. Always try to be in communion with heaven and earth; then the world will appear in its true light. Self-conceit will vanish, and you can blend with any attack.
  26. If your heart is large enough to envelop your adversaries, you can see right through them and avoid their attacks. And once you envelop them, you will be able to guide them along the path indicated to you by heaven and earth.
  27. Free of weakness ignore the sharp attacks of your enemies: Step in and act!
  28. Do not look upon this world with fear and loathing. Bravely face whatever the gods offer.
  29. Life itself is always a trial. In training, you must test and polish yourself in order to face the great challenges of life. Transcend the realm of life and death, and then you will be able to make your way calmly and safely through any crisis that confronts you.
  30. Be grateful even for hardship, setbacks, and bad people. Dealing with such obstacles is an essential part of training in Aikido.
  31. Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.
  32. In extreme situations, the entire universe becomes our foe; at such critical times, unity of mind and technique is essential - do not let your heart waver!
  33. At the instant a warrior confronts a foe, all things come into focus.
  34. Even when called out by a single foe, remain on guard, for you are always surrounded by a host of enemies.
  35. In our techniques we enter completely into, blend totally with, and control firmly an attack. Strength resides where one's ki is concentrated and stable; confusion and maliciousness arise when ki stagnates.
  36. There are two type of ki: ordinary ki and true ki. Ordinary ki is coarse and heavy; true ki is light and versatile. In order to perform well, you have to liberate yourself from ordinary ki and permeate your organs with true ki. That is the basis of powerful technique.
  37. In Aikido we never attack. An attack is proof that one is out of control. Never run away from any kind of challenge, but do not try to suppress or control an opponent unnaturally. Let attackers come any way they like and then blend with them. Never chase after opponents. Redirect each attack and get firmly behind it.
  38. Seeing me before him, the enemy attacks, but by that time I am already standing safely behind him.
  39. When attacked, unify the upper, middle, and lower parts of your body. Enter, turn, and blend with your opponent, front and back, right and left.
  40. Your spirit is the true shield.
  41. Opponents confront us continually, but actually there is no opponent there. Enter deeply into an attack and neutralize it as you draw that misdirected force into your own sphere.
  42. Do not stare into the eyes of your opponent: he may mesmerize you. Do not fix your gaze on his sword: he may intimidate you. Do not focus on your opponent at all: he may absorb your energy. The essence of training is to bring your opponent completely into your sphere. Then you can stand where you like.
  43. Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.
  44. Left and right, avoid all cuts and parries. Seize your opponents' minds and scatter them all!
  45. The real Art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses. The Way of a Warrior, the Art of Politics, is to stop trouble before it starts. It consists in defeating your adversaries spiritually by making them realize the folly of their actions. The Way of a Warrior is to establish harmony.
  46. In your training do not be in a hurry, for it takes a minimum of ten years to master the basics and advance to the first rung. Never think of yourself as an all-knowing, perfected master; you must continue to train daily with your friends and students and progress together in Aikido.
  47. Progress comes to those who train and train. Reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere.
  48. Fiddling with this and that technique is of no avail. Simply act decisively without reserve!
  49. If you perceive the true form of heaven and earth, you will be enlightened to your own true form. If you are enlightened about a certain principle, you can put it into practice. After each practical application, reflect on your efforts. Progress continually like this.
  50. Aikido can be summed up like this: True victory is self-victory; let that day arrive quickly! "True victory" means unflinching courage; "self-victory" symbolizes unflagging effort; and "let that day arrive quickly" represents the glorious moment of triumph in the here and now.
  51. Cast off limiting thoughts and return to true emptiness. Stand in the midst of the Great Void. This is the secret of the Way of a Warrior.
  52. The techniques of Aikido change constantly; every encounter is unique, and the appropriate response should emerge naturally. Today's techniques will be different tomorrow. Do not get caught up with the form and appearance of a challenge. Aikido has no form - it is the study of the spirit.
  53. Ultimately, you must forget about technique. The further you progress, the fewer teachings there are. The Great Path is really No Path.
http://www.fightingmaster.com/master...iba/quotes.htm

Old November 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Cricket Savant

This philosophy can be applied to pretty much anything. Anyways I found it profound.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:28 PM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

`````````````Yes, I switched my Yoga sessions with````````````
````````````````````````````|````````````````````` ```````
````````````````````````````|````````````````````` ```````
``````` ```````````````````` V````````````````````````````

Old November 27, 2011, 12:05 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

On a serious note, I tried Shotokan karate for two years and a bit of Wu Shu and Tai Chi when I used to live in Bei Jing but I didn't have the patience to continue on with it. I admire anyone who is able to practise a martial art/yoga consistently.
Old November 27, 2011, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Zeeshan, for an interesting perspective of Aikido, read Robert Twigger's Angry White Pyjamas -- a description of how aikido is actually taught to be an effective martial art in a short period of time, instead of the more nebulous feel-good version taught in some western dojos.

As in all martial arts, there are both component and incompetent exponents. I recall once sparring with an aikidoka, which consisted of us both waiting expectantly for about five minutes before laughing and heading out for a drink -- we were each expecting the other to provide us with some unrooted momentum that we could take advantage of, and neither of us were willing to supply any.

Frankly, the people who really weird me out are the good Tai chi guys. I've been choked out and knocked out by exponents of several different arts; but there at least I knew what was coming. The problem I have with good (I emphasize this point, because most aren't) Tai chi guys is that my eyes and my sense of touch don't agree with where their centerline is. Which is disconcerting because my style depends on attacking the opponent's centerline.

But on average, if you put up a club boxer against say, a McDojo black belt, my money will be on the boxer.
Old November 27, 2011, 04:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Me and my wife are planning to go to our neighbourhood Kang-Fu School run by a mentally unstable Viet-Nam vet!! I am excited I will finally learn do the Bruce Lee Flying Kick ..I always want to do that!
Old November 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
Cricket Savant

You guys are clown barrind doc. LOL @ equating yoga with serious martial arts. Anyhoo lot of people take it here in us and unlike bd where it may be considered esotertic, luxury and time waste, if you find real school, for instance ockickboxing where you can tell them i referred to you...tell em gopal sent you and see how they treat you...it really helps your overall coordination and mental being.. i find when i dont exercise my hemispheres tend to unsynchronized with mood swings...

IT IS NOT LIKE HOW YOU SEE IN TV!

With advent of mma and others it has progressed remarkably since the days of shongshod bhaban dojos...
Old January 10, 2012, 12:49 AM
Cricket Savant

This story never fails to inspire me...

Quote:
HISTORICAL FICTION
by Rocky Gunn and Kazuko Sakura

Jingoro sat comfortably by the fireplace, surrounded by his young grandchildren. He had served in the Emperor's army for twenty years and had been awarded the highest honors for his meritorious service. He had worked his way up from a young foot soldier to a wise and respected counselor who was pursued not only for his knowledge in military affairs but for his uncommon understanding of people and situations. Now retired from the service of his country, Jingoro spent many happy hours recounting his life and experiences for his grandchildren. The children profited from hearing the rich and entertaining stories in addition to the beneficial advice concerning their personal and social well being.
Often they would interrupt their grandfather and ask about the meaning of certain parables. Such was the case on this occasion when one of the eager listeners spoke up and said, "Grandfather, I don't understand."
"What don't you understand, Hana?" Jingoro replied, smiling softly as he answered his youngest granddaughter.
"How could the samurai trust that other man? How could he have known that the other man was a good person?"
"Sometimes we must use other ways besides what we can see if we are to succeed in our desires."
"How can you know what you cannot see?" questioned another child.
"Close your eyes, children", Jingoro ordered gently. "Now, then. Can you still see me?"
"No, Grandfather", cried the children.
"But you know I am still here."
The children laughed as they opened their eyes.
"Of course we know," they all exclaimed. "We saw you before we closed our eyes and we could also hear you."
"But if you could not see or hear me, I would still be here, wouldn't I?"
The youngsters all nodded in agreement.
"No think hard, children," Jingoro persisted. "How else could you know I was here?"
Silence followed. After a while, Hana said, "I think I could feel that you were here, Grandfather."
"What do you man, Hana?" asked Jingoro.
The girl closed her eyes as she continued. "I can see you even with my eyes closed, Grandfather." The children all began to laugh but Jingoro interrupted.
"Listen, my children. There are many ways to know of things without seeing them with your eyes and hearing them with your ears. These abilities are important, but beyond them, there is another part of you. Your soul. If you try hard enough, think deep enough, and concentrate correctly, you may be able to open a new path of vision. You can see beyond the limits of your eyes and ears."
Failing to grasp the full meaning of the grandfather's words, the children left the living room and ran outside to enjoy the few remaining rays of the day's fading sun. It would be dark very soon.
It was several days later when Jingoro sat on his favorite chair by the fireplace trying to repair a broken harness. His gray hair and weathered face reflected the years of labor he had endured. Although in his sixties, the old warrior still possessed the alertness and energy of a much younger man. The old man pondered the memories of his youth as he worked diligently on the harness. How much longer could the wisdom of an experienced mind continue to compensate for the failings of an aged and worn body?

CALL TO ARMS

Jingoro's quiet thoughts were suddenly shattered by the shouts of his daughter-in-law and the thundering hoofbeats of approaching horses. There was more shouting and screaming as he ran laboriously to the window.
"What's happening?" Jingoro cried. "What's going on?" He looked out into the yard and saw only darkness. Soo, his daughter-in-law, sobbing and weeping, entered the house and pleaded in anguish, "Grandfather... please take care of the children."
"What's happening?" the frustrated old man demanded to know.
"It's Honjiro and his band of outlaws we've heard about. They've come to rob us," the daughter-in-law said. "But they won't stop at that. They've run over little Hana, and they've hung your son up and are going to murder him."
Clutching at Jingoro's clothes, the daughter-in-law screamed, "You must take the children and run. Try to save your lives." Quickly, she turned and bolted out the door before Jingoro could even utter a word. Realizing that he could not escape with the children by running away, Jingoro reacted as he had been trained to react many years before. Instinctively, he reached for his weapon, which hung over the front door of the house, then stepped outside and surveyed the goings on in the yard. Despite the desperation of the moment, it felt good to the old man to once again grip his kusarigama, a hand held sickle. It was a short sword hafted onto a hardwood handle. From the handle hung a weighted chain.
Jingoro listened carefully to the screams of his son's family and the terrible laughter of the bandits. The sky was now dark, and with the scene set in his mind, he stepped briskly to the center of the yard. Immediately, the clamor around him died out, and the bandits all turned their attention to the old man and his curious weapon.
"Old man," one of the bandits shouted in a mocking tone, "what do you think you are going to do with that chain in the dark? Old men can't fight, and they can't see at night."
Jingoro turned toward the intruder and replied defiantly, "Step forward, coward, and find out."
The bandit scoffed and said, "That weapon you hold takes a trained warrior." Five or six other mocking voices followed with a chorus of jeers.
"Take what you want and leave us along," Jingoro said. "If you do not harm my family, I will not harm you."
"No, no," the bandit said laughing. "I don't think we could do that. We're going to take everything, your lives included. It's getting darker, old man. We'll just wait and watch you beat yourself to death with your own chain." The other bandits laughed again.
"Very well," the old warrior said quietly as he remained standing erect. The situation seemed very familiar to him.
Two of the men approached and playfully waved their swords at the lonely, darkened figure. But as they got within striking distance, Jingoro lashed out with his kusarigama, instantly and simultaneously striking one of the attackers in the neck with the chain and cutting the other with the sharp double-edged blade. The two men fell, and once again the voice of the bandit leader shouted from a corner of the yard.
"So, old one, you are a warrior. Too bad it's so dark. You might be able to give the rest of us a pretty good fight if you could see us better. But we have the edge, old man. We have young eyes, and there are four of us. Get ready, old man. You are about to die by torture."
Jingoro said nothing and instead quietly prepared for the next attack by listening carefully to the movements of his enemies.
Quickly, three of the men took positions surrounding Jingoro, who responded by swinging his chain at a furious velocity. In a few short seconds, the end of the iron weight had gathered enough momentum to crush the skull of the nearest assailant. Side-stepping quickly, the cagey combat veteran snared the sword of one of the other outlaws, then yanked the off-balanced bandit forward and killed him with the blade that jutted out from the wooden handle. But before Jingoro could untangle his kusarigama, the third assassin drove a sword deep into the old man's back. Jingoro winced as he felt the cold steel blade invade his weary body. But applying his many years of yoroi kumi-uchi, he wheeled around in the dark, a powerful hip-and-leg lock that slammed the surprised enemy to the ground. A swift movement of the short blade finished the technique.
Covered with the blood of the five outlaws he had already slain, and bleeding mortally from his own wound, Jingoro struggled to remain erect as he faced the bandit leader, Monjiro.
"Well, old man, you've done yourself in," Monjiro said with a snicker.
"So it seems," the battered warrior conceded. "But at least I was spared the disgrace of dying by the sword of a coward like you." Jingoro stood very still and studied the movements of the only remaining bandit.
"Well, old man," retorted the now angry Monjiro, "we'll see what we can do about that." The bandit mounted his horse and charged at the ancient warrior, who waited with his blood-stained Kusarigama. Monjiro slashed wildly with his sword as the horse came upon the standing target, but Jingoro, anticipating the attack precisely, jumped back and avoided the blow. The horse turned and charged once more, and again the old man stepped clear, through this time the loss of blood and strength forced him to his knees after the attacker had passed. The bandit laughed as he raised his sword for the kill and turned his animal for the final charge.
Determined to save his family and die on his own terms, Jingoro reached inward for his last effort and struggled to his feet. He counted the hoofbeats as the horse galloped across the dark yard, and at the proper moment ducked the menacing swipe of Monjiro's lade and lashed out with the kusarigama. The chain caught the arm of the attacker and flung him to the ground, and a final blow with the hardwood handle eliminated the last of the six bandits.
Jingoro remained standing for a few moments, painfully savoring the most important triumph of his long and celebrated career. But by the time his son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren had freed themselves from their shackles, the old man had fallen to the ground. He attempted to find the sky but saw only darkness, the same darkness that had helped him defeat his enemies.
The grandchildren ran over and called out to him through their tears. The old man smiled at them gently, as he had so many times before, and whispered his final message. "Children, please remember what I told you. You must try to see beyond what your eyes see. Close your eyes and read my heart."
Then Jingoro, an old man who had gone blind twenty years before his greatest victory, closed his own eyes for the last time.
http://www.aikidoofashland.net/stories/historical.htm
Old January 11, 2012, 07:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

I used to do kung-fu when I was a kid, it's quite common here in hong kong
Old January 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I read Zee BC article bio (which has been changed now) at the bottom. I'm guessing it didn't joke about his Martial Arts skills?
Old January 14, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
I read Zee BC article bio (which has been changed now) at the bottom. I'm guessing it didn't joke about his Martial Arts skills?
I am 5'7.5" (yes that itty-bitty .5 counts). My first epiphany came when I saw a four feet Indian kid (a bit mastaan type) ruffle up a South African hard-core guy. But after coming to America it seems people are hprny about big 8 feet bulky guys and always about size this and size that with Madden like commentary, NFL and WWF/E. But back of my mind having seen two or three fights, I know that size has nothing compared with the state of mind generated by pure raw emotion. BC (Assad and Bimuda) also of the size type people.

Size only takes you so far. Muhammad Ali was genius not because of his size, but to rattle his opponents with trash talk, winning it before getting in the ring, superior feetwork and dancy bodyworks.

Again, it's the size of the fight that counts. Also in muay thai class I saw these skinny *** thai kids and another guy who is kind of my hero because he is my height could outmaneuver people taller and bigger than them. Fearlessness is another ingredient. (His name was Cub and I was so awed by his work, he was mechanical almost, that my instructor gave me the best advice that I apply even in maths: It's not gonna happen overnight.

As for me, did 2 years of aikido, 2 months of krav maga, 6 months of muay thai, 1 month of fencing (lol 1 month counts man!!), 2 years of filipino martial arts...the latter is the only one I like.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 14, 2012, 03:31 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Breath. Got it all off your chest? On a serious note, so you could probably take out everyone in bc.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Breath. Got it all off your chest? On a serious note, so you could probably take out everyone in bc.
Have you seen Rifat? That man is ripped yo. He got six packs and shirtless when he walks down the university he is hot and he KNOWS it. He rejected like 29 girls already.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 14, 2012, 03:58 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Six packs doesn't mean tough. I have half showing 8 packs, no kidding. I have the 8 packs genes. I haven't been working out since the holidays. So I can take on Rifat. Wait. Who's Rifat? He is the highly religious one? Or is he "religious"?
Old January 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

My rule of Fighting if you have no back up

One guy, take his *** to the cleaners, restrain yourself but don't hesitate, go hard and fast.

Two-four guys, try to talk smack to them, act like you're a stone cold assassin, and only engage, when theyre momentarily distracted. Lead with a damaging blow to the first guy, a nice karate kick (yoku geri (side snap kick) or elbow (if you're close) should take care of the first guy. You have to dictate the tempo of the fight, but if you see a moment where your enemy drops his guard, take him out. The guys will be cautious after seeing you deal the damaging blows to their former comrades, and you should just be able to fend them, with punches and jabs, they get too close, elbow to the temple please.

5-10+ guys, ...... 'N****a I hope you can run'
Old January 15, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Nafi,

No offense, but I've known at least one nidan who got himself killed going up against two guys -- they had a knife. Frankly, unless something really critical is about to occur (rape, homicide, etc.) just avoid getting into the fight in the first place. Ego or pride isn't worth it. If it's a mugger, give him the wallet, cell phone, etc. Those are replaceable, life isn't.

In grad school I lived for a while in a not particularly "nice" neighborhood and got to know my neighbors fairly well. Many of them were people who carried at least a knife or gun on them at all times, and would have had no hesitation in immediately escalating to using them; several were arrested and imprisoned subsequently for precisely those reasons. Bluntly, unless you're going up against some dojo/dojang-trained character, realize that your opponent/s won't play fair. And unlike silat/arnis/kali folk, I find most Japanese and Korean stylists overestimate their capabilities against edged weapons. For that matter, I still maintain that a good club boxer would clobber your average McDojo shodan 9 times out of 10.

It's good to know how to fight; it's better yet to avoid them.
Old January 15, 2012, 01:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Have you seen Rifat? That man is ripped yo. He got six packs and shirtless when he walks down the university he is hot and he KNOWS it. He rejected like 29 girls already.
I really appreciate your admiration of me ALhamdulillah! but I must let you know, You need not have six pack abs and walk shirtless to attract women, you just gotta have "it"...now, what is "it"... i don't know? go ask a girl and find out ?

In reality I am a tad overweight and very fragile when it comes to arm-wrestling.