facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul
Default "A nation’s players in denial" by Ian Pont

If ever a nation’s fans deserved success it is undoubtedly Bangladesh. That’s because through thick and thin, good andbad, for betters or for worse, the fans show up hoping for a miracle. That miracle is a Test win at home or a series win against a Top 8 team fully stocked with its quota of players.
Yet despite that miracle never appearing, the fans shout themselves into a stupor. They cheer every run. They shout forevery wicket. They even scream when the team wins the toss. That kind of blind support shoul dbe reserved for a nation’s heroes. That elevation of status to ‘legend’ should be held back and only bestowed on those whoreally warrant it. http://cricketsoccer.com/a-nations-players-in-denial/

Old November 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Like I said on another thread here I'll state this again

Our players should watch the 2nd innings of SA batting over and over and over again. Unfortunately many of our fans think, what's the point of playing boring? Why not entertain the crowd? This is the main problem with our fans and also the other subcontinental teams fans. Yesterday I saw Harbhajan hitting a 4 off Panesar and the fans were jumping up and down like they've just won the match. What ended up happening? Harbhajan gets out soon after not doing anything prevent an Indian collapse and India suffered a massive 10 wicket defeat.

Then the even bigger problem with our players and the other subcontinental teams, primarily India and Pakistan, they look to entertain the crowd more than playing for results. Otherwise why do you see players like Tamim and Shakib being on a roll but then all of a sudden play a T20 shot and then get out? This is where the professionalism lacks in our players and fans compared to places like Australia, South Africa and England. It's time our players stop thinking about entertaining the crowd and focus on results. Drawing matches are far more important than looking pretty and eventually losing.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Thank you Ian.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Yes thank you coach Ian for the article by the way. I wish this article was put all over the papers in Bangladesh and also Cricinfo. Also thanks Saifulsohel for posting this article.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Having spent a year working with Ranji Trophy team Haryana, I can state that Bangladesh as a nation would be better served attempting to get into that system in the same way that Namibia has done with South Africa, and Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland have done with England.
Great Idea Ian. We should sent our 'A' Team to participate in Indian Ranji Trophy every year.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Those making it to the national team seem to lack the all round ‘best practice’ approach to the game that other teams take for granted now. It’s a deep-rooted misunderstanding that in some way, some how, the responsibility is someone else’s, and not those playing the game.
This post deserves a separate post on its own. a great point... No-one else will do it for you, you have to do it yourself!
Old November 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

Good article. I really do think we should send a team to play in the ranji trophy every year. Players like Anamul, Taskin would benefit from this. But we all know this will never happen. Like Ian said a player has to do his part, do what he is paid for. For example if tamim did his part, he wouldn't have this bhuri. Rafique used to run laps beside the buriganga river and when someone asked him why he does that even during his days off, he replied cricket was how he earned money, so he had no choice but to stay fit and yet better. It's sad to see players with better facilities at their disposal do less than their predecessors.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Good article by Ian. Almost sums up what we feel.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:44 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

If the Ranji will allow a team from Bangladesh, I am all for it. Our boys will learn a bit about test batting and bowling. Hopefully.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Ranji will not allow us. Indians won't allow us in anything. I have said this from my experience of 34 years.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

^ I think they will allow but we have to be the one to ask as we are the ones in need. I bet if Saber was the BCB president he would've taken some steps in that direction.
Old November 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Agree with what Ian is saying here. The board may be run by a bunch of morons, but the bolods that end up representing us on the field deserve a fair share of the blame. Guys like Mushy, Tamim, Shakib and Nasir are capable of delivering more often (only Shakib has been fairly consistent, the HC needs to *whip* the rest) and the other idiots in the lineup need to shed the laziness, aim higher and work much harder. Don't just blame it all on the NCL being a crap hole.

Quote:
I have a love affair with Bangladesh
Quote:
The excuse culture that exists
But coach but coach, no offense but aren't you dipping into the same bucket of excuses to pull out a "Oh, BCB hasn't contacted me", "Oh, players don't want to learn"? If you are indeed in love, why let the BCB or the laziness of a handful of pansies get in the way? Why not take matters into your own hands, apply for the HC position and/or get in touch with Tommy Miah and/or start a branch of your own academy in Bangladesh? Why not fight for your love? Why not win her through proaction instead of taking a more passive stance?

Now that Richard McInnes has indicated he doesn't want the HC position, you are our only hope coach. Only you can save us from all the Abuls, Mofeezes and Mokhleses that are making a mockery out of Test cricket and a nation built on the qualities of courage and valor. Only you can *whip* our sissies into winners (since Jurgensen won't). Only you can help put a smile on four year old Sayem's face, a face that, albeit young, has already been worn down by the continuous failures of, as you put it aptly, the nation's greatest heroes (I like to call them zeroes, but oh well). Please don't let Sayem, who has the perfect cover drive, one that would humble the late Sir Don, get shipped to Australia in pursuit of a better life. His parents need him in their lives, everyone in Bangladesh needs him in his/her life.
Old November 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

I respect the love and passion shown by Ian Pont. I am very suprised that a good coach Like Ian is not applying for other roles like Zimbabwe Head coach Role or Domestic roles even in IPL or BBL. If i am wrong please correct me, we can see that he does not have a job now and is looking for one, why are other nations not interested in him like Pakistan (Recent). Ian should be thankful to BCB for giving him a opportunity to become a coach @ International level. I can't imagine Ian being part of Dhaka Gladitors if he was the coach of Nederlands or some county teams. I think BCB gave Ian some name amongst Bangladeshi's, honest question to everyone would be.. who knew Ian Pont before he got hired by BCB as Bowling Coach. BCB gave him the international appeal. I think even know Ian Pont is not a big name brand, amongst bangladeshi, maybe. That's why its hard for Ian to get a job and if he does most likely it has to be with Bangladesh becuase that is where he is known sort of well.
Old November 26, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Agree with what Ian is saying here. The board may be run by a bunch of morons, but the bolods that end up representing us on the field deserve a fair share of the blame. Guys like Mushy, Tamim, Shakib and Nasir are capable of delivering more often (only Shakib has been fairly consistent, the HC needs to *whip* the rest) and the other idiots in the lineup need to shed the laziness, aim higher and work much harder. Don't just blame it all on the NCL being a crap hole.

But coach but coach, no offense but aren't you dipping into the same bucket of excuses to pull out a "Oh, BCB hasn't contacted me", "Oh, players don't want to learn"? If you are indeed in love, why let the BCB or the laziness of a handful of pansies get in the way? Why not take matters into your own hands, apply for the HC position and/or get in touch with Tommy Miah and/or start a branch of your own academy in Bangladesh? Why not fight for your love? Why not win her through proaction instead of taking a more passive stance?

Now that Richard McInnes has indicated he doesn't want the HC position, you are our only hope coach. Only you can save us from all the Abuls, Mofeezes and Mokhleses that are making a mockery out of Test cricket and a nation built on the qualities of courage and valor. Only you can *whip* our sissies into winners (since Jurgensen won't). Only you can help put a smile on four year old Sayem's face, a face that, albeit young, has already been worn down by the continuous failures of, as you put it aptly, the nation's greatest heroes (I like to call them zeroes, but oh well). Please don't let Sayem, who has the perfect cover drive, one that would humble the late Sir Don, get shipped to Australia in pursuit of a better life. His parents need him in their lives, everyone in Bangladesh needs him in his/her life.
wonderful, wonderfully put AsifTheManRahman Valid points raised
Old November 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Sack jurgenson,hire Ian.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:04 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:

Ian, how about it? We would love to have you. Either as the Head Coach or in Tommy Miah's academy. Let the love blossom into a marriage.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:

Firstly, thank you for the support to be Head Coach.

Some facts for you before you get carried away though:

1. The BCB does not want me to be head coach. They have had several chances to speak with me about it after Jamie Siddons left (after Siddons, before Law, after Law, before Pybus, after Pybus). Even before this, I said to the BCB that I would only be interested in staying on (when I left in March 2011), if I might be considered for any HC vacancy. This has never happened.

2. Tommy Miah knows me well. I have met him and dined with him and discussed his project near Sylhet, 18 months ago in London. I have heard nothing from him since.

3. I don't have a bucket of excuses. Read points 2 and 3 above. I cannot force anyone to want me.

I run a highly successful coaching business, which is growing. The only way I could/would completely give this up is if financially it was worthwhile. The bowling coach role was not, which is why I couldn't stay beyond 6 months.

I can run various projects if they are not full-time for this reason and is why I travel to India and work globally with individual players privately.

But let me repeat: the BCB has never shown any interest in having me as Head Coach, nor have they responded to my requests to help set up a Pace Academy in Bangladesh, neither have Beximco or Grameenphone shown any interest in my approaches about this and neither has Tommy Miah asked me to be a part of his set up.

My stance is far from passive - you just have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Cricket Sage

(BC) Public... chanda tulo.. chanda.
negotiate with dada bhai a discount rate and establish a funding for just one scolarship for one promising FB for each year.

BC Public will vote and select one player to send him to dada bhai-er mini camp.

BC public in Londo can provide free food and place to stay to minimize chanda amount.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
negotiate with dada bhai a discount rate and establish a funding for just one scolarship for one promising FB for each year.

BC Public will vote and select one player to send him to dada bhai-er mini camp.

BC public in Londo can provide free food and place to stay to minimize chanda amount.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

good idea bro, in return do we expect likes of Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Lasith Malinga to be produced. lets be realistic, can we even produce players in the same level as Staurt Broad, Zaheer Khan, Umar Gul . I am not being realistic, more realistic approach would be under the guidance of Ian Pont can we produce players like Wayne Parnell, Tim Bresnan, Irfan Pathan? if that happens and if Ian Pont can grantee this, then count me in.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar89
good idea bro, in return do we expect likes of Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Lasith Malinga to be produced. lets be realistic, can we even produce players in the same level as Staurt Broad, Zaheer Khan, Umar Gul . I am not being realistic, more realistic approach would be under the guidance of Ian Pont can we produce players like Wayne Parnell, Tim Bresnan, Irfan Pathan? if that happens and if Ian Pont can grantee this, then count me in.
Forget about all those players. Even If there is an assurance of another Mash, I am all for it..
Old November 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:

Koto kore dite hobe bolen? Ami 100 BD taka porjonto wada korte raji asi
Old November 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Koto kore dite hobe bolen? Ami 100 BD taka porjonto wada korte raji asi
I think that is less than £1 in London,UK. Minimum requirement is atleast 10,000 taka, which I think is £100 UK Currency
Old November 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

*wrong thread*
Old November 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden
*wrong thread*
Yes and wrong person too... You haven't followed how the ex cricketers of Zim has got involved at that time to improve team performance.....I can't see him doing anything without them.... You are making too straight forward Evaluation...in normal situation a head coach would have got the credit straight, as you did.