facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 20, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagol
Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Looks like he wasn't able to convince the Indian board of a longer than 1 year contract.
Where did this definitive bit of news come from? There is so much baseless speculation going on.
Didn't claim that that was definitive. That was speculation on my part, hence the words 'seems like.' However, it isn't baseless. I heard from a couple of decent sources that there was an initial offer from India on which Whatmore and the BCCI had talks. In any case, after the way Samir got abused on this forum after he wrote about his chat with Whatmore, there was no way I was going to write about it on this forum. If there was some such offer and negotiations based on it, it obviously didn't work out in the end.

And in any case, what does it matter? He is with us for the next two years and thats what counts!

Old April 20, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Agreed. All the previuous discussions based on speculations, rumors, half-truths etc has been rendered mute. Actually we may now close all the other threads regarding that "saga" for last couple of weeks. It is indeed a great news to have him signed up until after the world cup. For the sake of continuity it was paramount that we re-sign him. It would have set us back a year or so had he left us at this juncture. His job with us is not even half done. We are just begining to see a semblance of the right combination in the team after two years of some what experimentation. We have established the opening position, middle order and the bowlers for the test team. It is important that now he sees it through as it becomes a cohesive and combative unit. Another two years will ensure that we stay the course as he guides the ship. Its a good day for us and we should look forward to his renewed tenure.
Old April 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Well put!
Old April 20, 2005, 01:34 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by pilot fan
..According to Cricinfo’s sources in Bangladesh, Whatmore was very much in the running to take over the India job from John Wright, but was persuaded to stay on until the end of the World Cup.....
hmm... I still do wonder which sources..
Old April 20, 2005, 01:38 PM
Cricket Legend

It's a great news to have him with us for next two more years. But mind it - only for two more years not more. We have to look for plan B, plan C etc. at the end of his present tenure of contract.
Old April 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
Test Cricketer

That means he won't stay with us eventhough Bangladesh comes out with something extraordinary in the 2007 world cup? I wish he stays and commits himself to Bangladesh unless they are no longer a pushover and becomes a force to be reckoned with, like he did with Sri Lanka. However, but at the moment, all focus on the England tour.
Old April 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think this is the time to think about whether he will stay with us past the 2007 world cup! Its too early. Plus, we might not want him after 2007, even if we do great in the world cup. A team needs to keep evolving and new coaching methods, new styles always add a new dimension. Having Whatmore as our coach has been and continues to be a blessing for BD cricket, but two years later, we may feel that we need someone new! This discussion is useless right now.

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 8:22 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old April 20, 2005, 03:45 PM
Cricket Sage

"Whatmore in now processing to rebuild the team with a set of Under-19 players who are expected to be revealed as a super power in the next World Cup. " NewAge

NewAge

Asha Ta ektu Beshi hoee Gelo na
Old April 20, 2005, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

The poor staff correspondent was trying to end with a flourish and made a hash of it. New Age needs a better proof reader for the Sports section.
Old April 20, 2005, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

So what was the new salary? Is it $180K per some of the published reports that he was at 15/month and had nearly doubled from the 100K they were paying him before?
Old April 20, 2005, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

10,000 USD after tax plus other facilities about 13,000 USD. Next year it will increase 10% more.
Old April 20, 2005, 04:44 PM
Cricket Legend

I mean 13,000 USD per month
Old April 20, 2005, 04:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Wow. That is a lot of money. $156 000 US a year. If only i could get that much money.
Old April 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Whatmore sign for 2 more year with Bangladesh.

CricinfoWhatmore untill 2007 in Bangladesh. Cricinfo
Old April 20, 2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Merged to this thread.

Please read this topic
Old April 20, 2005, 10:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Didn't see the thread in the front page. Sorry chief.
Old April 20, 2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by shujan
Didn't see the thread in the front page. Sorry chief.
Happens to the best of us. I have done it too
Old April 20, 2005, 11:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

mishti koi?
Old April 20, 2005, 11:14 PM
BC Editorial Team

I think Whatmore just gave us all a master-lesson in BATNA
Old April 21, 2005, 03:49 AM
Club Cricketer

John Wright's salary in comparison is a meager $40K per year.

John Wright makes -
Per Month Per Year
----------- ---------
Rs 157,000 (US $3,296) Rs 18,84,000 (US$ 39,554)
Old April 21, 2005, 03:55 AM

Seems too cheap to me compare to our coach!
Old April 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default More Rumors about Whatmore

Quote:
But Whatmore, the Australian who transformed Sri Lanka, could soon have another nation on his multi-ethnic CV. He is in talks with India, who have just parted company with John Wright, and the extension he signed with Bangladesh yesterday has an opt-out clause he might well be invoking in mid-summer.
source : Daily Telegraph
Old April 21, 2005, 12:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Thats just great! to Bangladesh and Whatmore!
Old April 21, 2005, 12:42 PM
BC Editorial Team

uh oh - opt out clause eh? The more I read about this situation, the more some of the gloss comes off Whatmore. An active coach shilling to the media? Isn't that kinda like Rameez being PCB CEO and a commentator? If that is an an agent principal problem, I don't know what is.
Old April 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...sh/4469217.stm
Whatmore aims to make Tigers roar
By Anna Thompson

Dav Whatmore is not a man who likes to leave jobs half done.

Whatmore celebrates Bangladesh's win over India in Chittagong
Which is why he has agreed to a contract extension as Bangladesh coach, with his next big task their first ever tour of England.

He can see there is talent in a squad which has been struggling along since it was launched into the Test arena five years ago.

The 51-year-old told BBC Sport: "My employers were very, very keen I stay with them and they have been pretty happy with the progress of the team."

Whatmore has been Bangladesh coach since June 2003 and under his tutelage they won their first Test series, beating Zimbabwe 1-0 in January this year, and have also recorded a one-day win over India in Calcutta.

Whatmore says a new domestic four-day competition in the country and the implementation of a high performance unit have improved Bangladeshi cricket in the last couple of years.

He said: "There are continuing challenges along the way because the national team has only begun their journey.

"They are pretty much a young group of players, not necessarily in years but in experience.

"I went in with my eyes open and I feel the real improvement will take a little bit longer than perhaps I first expected.

"Having said that we are definitely on the right track and there is talent. There are a few more youngsters who definitely will play for their country in time."

We are keen to make an impression to really test and push the opposition

Dav Whatmore
More: Whatmore signs new deal

Whatmore and his squad will head to England next month for a two-Test series and the one-day NatWest Series, which incorporates world champions Australia.

It is not going to be easy for Whatmore - especially as his side have never played in English conditions in May - but he is hoping they will put up a fight.

"It's going to be extremely tough, there is no question about it," Whatmore admitted.

"But having said that we are keen to make an impression to really test and push the opposition.

"I'm not going to make predictions but we are looking forward to the tour very much.

"In Test matches, we are playing the second-ranked team in the world so that's very difficult in itself and in the home conditions is even more difficult."

We are in the process of making stars - we haven't got the stars yet

Dav Whatmore
It is going to be a steep learning curve for the side but Whatmore believes this could be a positive thing.

"What I want to see is mistakes that are made not being repeated too often and our objectives are to do well in the game and for individual players to meet their targets.

"If I go on certain comments made by people in England they feel none of the Bangladesh players can play.

"But that's a nice little carrot for our boys to motivate themselves to do well.

"We are in the process of making stars, we haven't got the stars yet. It's exciting to be a part of a group who is striving to reach that level."

Although Whatmore has signed a two-year deal, the chance of becoming India coach is still a big attraction and he is not ruling it out in the near future.

But for now he is concentrating on Bangladesh and their progression in the Test and one-day arenas.

"I'd like to translate a lot of our effort into a few more wins along the way," he said.

But against England and Australia that is going to be a tough ask indeed.