facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 7, 2007, 03:56 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Steve Waugh
Default Tushar Imran article on Daily Star

It's for Tushar's taking
Mohammad Isam

With the day's practice almost over, fielding coach Salahuddin was putting up one skier after another towards Tushar Imran, the last man in the dapper coach's radar. “You can't expect them to come to you,” said Salahuddin to the talented middle-order batsman, who was visibly waning after a tough day's workout at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur yesterday.

But he had enough breath, after his stint under those 20 or so high catches, to admit that the tour for which he is working hard for is quite big, but not make-or-break big.

“I want to be part of this setup for a longer period of time. Hopefully, I can get a big knock that will ease the pressure. That is what I am looking for,” said Tushar after morning's training session of the Tigers, who preparing for this month's tour of New Zealand.

“It will be a vital tour because I would also like to establish my place in the Test side.”

That big knock has long been elusive to Tushar. Two fifties in 39 one-day internationals is mediocre collection for a batsman of his quality. Both those knocks came early in his career and since then, nothing has gone right for Tushar at the big stage, although he has become a mainstay in local cricket and has done exceedingly well for Bangladesh A.

As his teammates started gathering their gears under the pleasant winter afternoon sun, Tushar explained that he took up the responsibility of batting at the crucial number three position during the Tigers' tour of Sri Lanka in July but had failed.

“I have been in and out for so long with little guarantee for place in my earlier days in the Bangladesh team. But I disappointed myself when given the opportunity in Sri Lanka, having had a few good years in domestic cricket and for the A team,” said the 24-year-old batsman, who went through all the drills coach Jamie Siddons had prepared for his new charges on the third day of practice.

For most of the batsmen, Siddons had a session each in the centre-wicket and one in the indoors nearby. The centre-wicket practice has drawn most attention as the net bowlers, attired in New Zealand's black, bowled from 18 yards. There was a certain sense of excitement from some when wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim wore one on his helmet. There were some miscued hooks and pulls but it was heartening to see that the batsmen were adjusting well, especially skipper Mohammad Ashraful.

Siddons is making sure that no stone is unturned as far as preparation goes. A bowling machine set 15-20 yards away from a hard, marble-top surface with an upturned table (doubling as a slanted bat) near where a batsman would stand to face an 80mph delivery. An attendant lets a ball through the machine that pitches on that surface and hits the face of the table, resulting in slip catches. Siddons surely is well aware of Bangladesh's poor catching.

Tushar seems to have understood that, apart from fielding well, the team also needs a batsman of his experience to take up seaming challenge that waits in New Zealand.

“I know that a big responsibility will be on me and Ashraful to take care of the innings and I think that I am to belong here, I must score runs,” said Tushar, not breathless anymore.
Source>>

Last edited by reverse_swing; December 7, 2007 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: mod.content: source link added

Old December 7, 2007, 04:09 AM
Club Cricketer

the new catching method was fantastic. I think it saves a lot of time and basically, makes sense. But I'm afraid the 18-yard technique with the net bowlers could backfire.
Old December 7, 2007, 05:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
the new catching method was fantastic. I think it saves a lot of time and basically, makes sense. But I'm afraid the 18-yard technique with the net bowlers could backfire.
I agree, the new techniques being brought in by Siddons are exceptionally creative. The New Zealand tour will give us a small indication of how effective these techniques are.

Could you ellaborate how exactly the 18-yard technique will backfire?
Old December 7, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I wished he would make it 15 feet or less. As for injury, make them wear all sorts of protective gears.
Old December 7, 2007, 09:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
I agree, the new techniques being brought in by Siddons are exceptionally creative. The New Zealand tour will give us a small indication of how effective these techniques are.

I think bowlers might feel like they are not bowling as quick when the bowl in the match and the fuller length delivery may be a problem for them to excute. But i doubt they did that all throughout the camp. Siddons isn't stupid he's aware of that. It was so to give the batters some practice. I also quite like the slip catches using bowling machine against a slanted table to allow slip catching practices. He was one of the best slippers around in Australian and by extension in the world. I quite like the innovative drills. More prep, better situation prep before games is a must. Expect results now.
Old December 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
I think bowlers might feel like they are not bowling as quick when the bowl in the match and the fuller length delivery may be a problem for them to excute. But i doubt they did that all throughout the camp. Siddons isn't stupid he's aware of that. It was so to give the batters some practice. I also quite like the slip catches using bowling machine against a slanted table to allow slip catching practices. He was one of the best slippers around in Australian and by extension in the world. I quite like the innovative drills. More prep, better situation prep before games is a must. Expect results now.

Bhai Ntl team bowler r bowling 22 yard its the net bowlers (from academy or some where else) doing the 16/18 yard so don't worry be happy... and read the articles carefully...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 7, 2007, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Well even if Siddons fails ( I wont call it a failure as his tenure would be only a month old then) with New Zealand, it seems like he will apply all his knowledge as an excellent player and an assistant coach from Australia. I mean, seriously, we got the best coach with an exceptional credentials. He is the best trained coach we got to-date. Will he turn out to be another Chappel? I dont think so. Either way, expect few Test wins pretty soon,, he didnt leave Australia to be part of a losing team,,,
Old December 7, 2007, 12:24 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Sound like he is really determined to make a room for himself in the team...
Only if he could translate those promises into runs....
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
Cricket Sage

I good score and there will be some breathing room for Tushar.

Sometime a player needs new opportunity under new leadership... Dav was a motivator ... but looks like our current coach is a innovative teacher... who knows ... ..may he can make a Misbah out of Tushar.
Old December 7, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I good score and there will be some breathing room for Tushar.

Sometime a player needs new opportunity under new leadership... Dav was a motivator ... but looks like our current coach is a innovative teacher... who knows ... ..may he can make a Misbah out of Tushar.

All of us herein BC really hope something like this very earnestly.
Old December 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Hope Tushar Imran will get some good innings, he is really a good batsman, just need to get a big innings.
Old December 7, 2007, 05:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I have said this before and I will say it again, for Tushar, its just a mental thing. He has the talent and ability to score consistently but just cant convert them yet in the big arena. He always had insecurity of losing his place in the side. If we stand by him and support him then we may just find a consistent batsman that BD has been looking for all these years. I hope and pray that he performs.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
Test Cricketer

tushar didnt get enough chances. he has been performing consistently in domestic cricket but he never got enough chances. he plays one match and gets dropped for next ten match. he never got to play an entire series. guys like alok rajin got alot more chances.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mash & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoun
tushar didnt get enough chances. he has been performing consistently in domestic cricket but he never got enough chances. he plays one match and gets dropped for next ten match. he never got to play an entire series. guys like alok rajin got alot more chances.
DON'T say Tushar never got any chances or enough chances. That would be so funny.
Old December 7, 2007, 08:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megh
DON'T say Tushar never got any chances or enough chances. That would be so funny.
How about enough consistent chances to prove his consistency?
Old December 8, 2007, 03:25 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king

I went there 2-3 times and saw that when the Net bowlers were at it, the batsmen simply didn't play. Good. But when the regular fast bowlers (Mashrafe, Shahadat, Nazmul), the batsmen just go at them like crazy as if the cut in pace is to hit.

Bowlers such as Oram or Gillespie will trouble the Tigers batsmen throughout.
Old December 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I went there 2-3 times and saw that when the Net bowlers were at it, the batsmen simply didn't play. Good. But when the regular fast bowlers (Mashrafe, Shahadat, Nazmul), the batsmen just go at them like crazy as if the cut in pace is to hit.

Bowlers such as Oram or Gillespie will trouble the Tigers batsmen throughout.
You went there and saw them practice live? Thats nice!
But maybe they are going at the regular fast bowlers because those fast balls are now seeming slower and more easy to play than before?!?
Old December 8, 2007, 12:12 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozy
You went there and saw them practice live? Thats nice!
But maybe they are going at the regular fast bowlers because those fast balls are now seeming slower and more easy to play than before?!?
yeah, i agree..but that's for amateur cricket. they're professionals and have an obligation to play according to the merit of the ball.

Anyways, I am going tomorrow and see the last day's work.
Old December 8, 2007, 01:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Tushar and Alok Kapali are the two players highly rated by fans, and then when they go to play cannot fulfill fans' expectations. Is it tachnique or temperament?