facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 4, 2012, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Default CI: Law: "Bangladesh Future is Bright"

Stuart Law, the outgoing Bangladesh coach, has said the future of Bangladesh cricket is bright with young players such as Nasir Hossain in the national team and exciting talent waiting in the wings. However, he pointed out that the youngsters would need to be handled properly.

Law, who resigned recently after being in-charge of the Bangladesh team for nine months, was particularly pleased with Anamul Haque, the top-order batsman who was part of the Asia Cup squad but didn't make his international debut. "Young [Anamul Haque] Bijoy is a quality player," he said, "Especially during the BPL, he looked like he was born to perform."

The 19-year-old Khulna batsman has scored heavily in domestic cricket this season, topping the first-class batting charts with 816 runs, apart from five centuries in all formats. Anamul's form won him a place in the Asia Cup squad in March but he couldn't find a place in the eleven. During one of those days, something that Anamul said stuck with Law.

"The one thing he said to me which I will never forget. We were sitting in the dugout during one of the Asia Cup matches and I asked him, 'Where would you like to bat?' He said, 'I want to be No. 3, I want to be the best player in the world.' And I said, if that comes across, good on you."

Law also praised two other youngsters. "I have been trying to see Mominul Haque get into the team. He's scored runs in the A team tours. We've been discussing him at lengths in selection meetings. He looked like a quality young player. [Abul Hasan] Raju, I love him. Bowls quick, 140-plus, has the slower ball and will get better as he plays more."

The growth of the youngsters was the underlying theme of Law's reign as the head coach as he wanted a few more performers within the team apart from Shakib Al Hasan and Tamim Iqbal. Nasir made his international debut against Zimbabwe in August in Law's first series in charge and since then he has scored a Test fifty, made an ODI hundred and seen Bangladesh through to a win against Sri Lanka.

"You look for the standout players and those two [Shakib and Tamim] have been carrying Bangladesh for a while. I told the rest of the team that it is not about two players. It's about other people sticking their hand up and doing well. Guys like Nasir [have] come through, he's basically up there with Shakib and Tamim."

Stuart Law on Nasir Hossain: "He's basically up there with Shakib and Tamim." © AFP

But Law made it clear that he wasn't looking to alienate the big performers who had to do well day in day out. He especially had gracious words for the world's No. 1 allrounder though he reminded Shakib to take care of his fitness.

"He's professional on the field but off the field he's different. I don't mean this in a bad way, but he could be fitter. He's admitted that he can work a bit harder on those aspects.

"But when he gets out on the cricket field, he creates something out of nothing. He's a beautiful player to watch when he's going great with the bat. I was probably in that boat as well, so I can understand. I didn't like training, I liked playing."

The reason for Law leaving in May rather than the end of June was Bangladesh's lack of international cricket. In fact, Bangladesh won't be seeing Test match action till November, which will be eleven months since their last Test in December 2011.

Law believes this would hurt the team and requested the Bangladesh Cricket Board to plan well ahead of time. "What they need to do is to play more. Let's target West Indies, New Zealand and teams like Ireland and Scotland. Let's oblige to the Associate countries and play four-dayers with them, whenever we get time between international commitments."

Law, who leaves the country on Sunday, said that for providing ample opportunities to cricketers, Bangladesh's domestic cricket needs restructuring.

"The domestic cricket here is a structure of which there's no blueprint anywhere else in the world. It stops, it starts. It would be nice to see these games taking place in these days, rather than two teams have a fall-out and the whole tournament is suspended. That's not good for cricket in this country.

"I know it's a different culture but as an outsider looking in, it can't be good for cricket. We are all trying to say that domestic cricket is where we want our cricketers to learn, they're learning by sitting back. That's not helping them at all."

Edited by Devashish Fuloria

Mohammad Isam is senior sports reporter at the Daily Star in Dhaka

Feeds: Mohammad Isam
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/563725.html

Old May 4, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Good to know, wish he had stayed.

Here's hoping we see Anamul in the next series, which atm looks to be the T20 WC.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:46 AM
MLC World Series I

Praises for Anamul, good to hear!
Old May 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

very well said coach! Wish he stayed longer. Let's hope Anamul. Mominul and Abul Hasan do well as they are expected.....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Thanks for sharing Zulfiquar Bhai.. was reading the Bangla version and whoever did the translation just ruined the tone of the interview.. Isam as always did a great job.. Nice interview..

Thanks to Law for showing trust in each and every team member (not only Shakib and Tamim) and inspire them to do even better.. It's also good to see how he is supporting the younger lot (Nasir, Anamul, Momin, Raju)
Old May 4, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Nice editing Zsayeed bhai....and as usual great interview Isam bhai
Old May 4, 2012, 11:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Law was potentially a great coach for us. Very impressed by his knowledge of the young, upcoming players. He backed Mominul even before the BPL which showed that he had been following domestic cricket and the A team tours. Too bad he couldn't stay on.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
But Law made it clear that he wasn't looking to alienate the big performers who had to do well day in day out. He especially had gracious words for the world's No. 1 allrounder though he reminded Shakib to take care of his fitness.

"He's professional on the field but off the field he's different. I don't mean this in a bad way, but he could be fitter. He's admitted that he can work a bit harder on those aspects.
Hmm so Shakib doesn't like to train? Interesting. I thought that Tamim would be the reluctant one in that aspect.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

So Law was planning to make the team like this:
ODI
1.Tamim
2.Anamul
3.Mominul
4.Nasir
5.Shakib
6.Mushy
8.Mash
9.Sunny/Raj
10.Nazmul
11.Abul Hasan
Old May 4, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Mods might need to do some merging... I can see the same topic being discussed in a few different threads.....
Old May 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
So Law was planning to make the team like this:
ODI
Probably like this:
1.Tamim
2.IK
3.Anamul
4.Mominul
5.Nasir
6.Shakib
7.Mushy
8.Mash
9.Sunny/Raj
10.Nazmul
11.Abul Hasan
Old May 4, 2012, 11:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Good Bye coach.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Hmm so Shakib doesn't like to train? Interesting. I thought that Tamim would be the reluctant one in that aspect.
shakib admitted it repeatedly.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Goodbye Law. Thank you for uniting the team and breaking up the TamSha. This was bigger than the Asia Cup.

As for Shakib:
If you only ever give 90% in training then you will only ever give 90% when it matters. - Michael Owen

So Shakib imagine Shakib at 100%. He'll burst through all the charts and rankings.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Those are strong words from Anamul. Will he be able to back those words up? I sure hope so. He doesn't have to be the world's best batsman but if he can perform well and be a world class player, then I'll be happy. Also it's interesting to see that he wants to be a #3 batsman rather then an opener. Well both positions are still uncertain so he could grab either 1 but if he feels more comfortable there then he should bat at #3.

Also it seems that coach Law really liked Mominul as he kept on bringing his name up. He looks like a special talent as well. I see it being tougher for Mominul since our middle order is already pretty much set with Mahmudullah being the weakest link but even he's the VC. He should still be in XV and should be training with the team so that he can be ready once his time has come.

Also it seems he really likes Abul Hasan. He was pretty impressive in the BPL with his build, run up and pace. He seems to still be a project so he should be given time before he gets a go. Since our pace department is weak, he should be kept around the national team and then given a go.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:26 PM
Cricket Sage

I'm sick of hearing future is bright future is this future is that. I want the damn future to get here already. Future er kotha shunte ar bhalo lage na, let's talk present.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Goodbye Law. Thank you for uniting the team and breaking up the TamSha. This was bigger than the Asia Cup.

As for Shakib:
If you only ever give 90% in training then you will only ever give 90% when it matters. - Michael Owen

So Shakib imagine Shakib at 100%. He'll burst through all the charts and rankings.
Lots of people talk about Shakibs 'laziness' in training. So i would say Shakib puts in about 70% in training. We need Shakib to train hard so youngsters have a good role model to look upto. Ian Pont mentioned this before.

And as for Anamul. Im happy he has hunger to perform at the international stage. Hopefully this will allow him to stay away from the Aftabs and the Ashrafuls.

Old May 4, 2012, 11:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Wish he stayed a little longer
Old May 5, 2012, 01:04 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
I'm sick of hearing future is bright future is this future is that. I want the damn future to get here already. Future er kotha shunte ar bhalo lage na, let's talk present.
Moner moto ekta kotha bolla re bhai !!
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 5, 2012, 12:22 PM
Street Cricketer

We have been hearing this for last 10 years. The fact is that Bangladesh are still a minnow .They never took the next big step like Sri Lanka did in 90s. Crying like sissy girls after losing finals will get some sympathy from fans but not the non minnow status. For that you have to perform well and win more than just one in 20 odd games.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

^^Oh yeah.....just wait till t20 WC. I won't be surprised if you are not from Bangladesh!
Old May 5, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Probably like this:
1.Tamim
2.IK
3.Anamul
4.Mominul
5.Nasir
6.Shakib
7.Mushy
8.Mash
9.Sunny/Raj
10.Nazmul
11.Abul Hasan
I dont think Law was happy with Imrul.Rather he was probably disappointed with him and he was searching another option.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla & Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by itduzz
We have been hearing this for last 10 years. The fact is that Bangladesh are still a minnow .They never took the next big step like Sri Lanka did in 90s. Crying like sissy girls after losing finals will get some sympathy from fans but not the non minnow status. For that you have to perform well and win more than just one in 20 odd games.
Huh...you blokes never stop. Why on Earth you're calling BD a minnow.
They're improving. If you talk about India, Australia and all others, they have been playing cricket since 1700. And BD was introduced in cricket in 1999 I reckon. You see the difference, fellow? So, think twice, thrice, and so on before you say such things.
No offence.
Old May 5, 2012, 05:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
ok itduzz the only thing dazed is that big head of yours. Just a quick question if you saw a little baby trying to walk and kept falling down would you push her to the floor?

I would say yes because you sound like that type of person it.

Bangladesh are trying to step up to the big league. They are trying and if people like you keep pushing Bangladesh down with all this hate then all you do is spread hate. No love? No support? Then dont even bother watching cricket

Dont know why haters hate on Bangladesh but is it because they are jealous we beat India and Srilanka?

Have you ever heard of a word called support? Search it up in the dictionary.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Last edited by BengaliPagol; May 5, 2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old May 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
"Never gets boring
And haters in your face you just ignore ‘em
Don’t know what they talking **** for
Seems n***** get theirs you just trynna get yours

You smile for the cameras live life like a superstar
Don’t care what they say
You reach for the stars
Got everything you always dreamed or thought about
And everyone knows who you are
"