facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 4, 2006, 12:11 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Why don't we consider new players?

If anyone has ever seen Nazmus sadat batting, he may feel that he can be included. recently I gone through cricinfo statistics and found that he is consistent with bat too, and if I am not wrong by the end phases of last national league He scored consecutive centuries and half centuries for five six matches, and in the recent A team- zimbabwe A series, He made no contribution is first few matches and then once became familiar with international cricket, he scored a century and a 90-something.

In recent tour of development squad to india, I believe he scored 50 almost in all test innings. Mehrab Jr is playing with him and is overshadowed by nazmus Sadat because nazmus sadat gets run very very quickly. he can bowl but not good though.

Another Option I saw was Jahirul islam omi, though I have not seen him play, but he is also consistent in dev squad tours. he plays in one down in dev squad.

last option can be Golam mabud, wicket keeper batsman. one of the top run geting batsman in last season. most importantly he is a keeper and opener, 2 in one. his age is on mid 20.

National League-4 days
Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50

Golam Mabud 10 20 1 721 122 37.94 57.95 1 4
Nazmus Sadat 6 12 0 661 151 55.08 58.28 2 3

May be off topic, but what about that tall young bowler Safaq Al Zabir, one of the most successful and economical attacking pace bowler in last season? Time to think of him I guess.

One-Day National League bowling
Name Mat O M R W Ave Best 4w 5w SR Econ

Shafaq 8 77 15 205 19 10.78 5-24 - 1 24.3 2.66
Nazmus 6 44 2 223 12 18.58 4-59 1 - 22.0 5.06

Please dont be offended in I am too curious about young and fresh player. I just can't stand Habibul bashar's oneday batting and captaincy. players like SN and sakib-al-Hasan are required.

naz
www.nazworld.com

Old November 4, 2006, 02:23 AM
BC Editorial Team

I have a cousin, who is scoring double centuries in the para moholla cricket. I can't stand to see some of the cricketes in the Dhaka League. My cousin's average is 200 - I saw he should captain the Mohammedan Club team and open the batting.

Also I have a neighbour who is - because of a pituitary gland problem - 6'9" tall. He terrorises the opposition when he plays with the junior moholla team. True he has not gotten too many wickets when he has stepped up to the older para moholla cricket but he's economic. He should definitely play. Never mind that one of the fastest bowlers in the Dhaka League can't get a game. My neighbour should still play.

Please don't be offended that the grass is always greener for me on the other side of the fence.
Old November 4, 2006, 03:04 AM
Club Cricketer

razab,
I believe you know more than me. But I seriously believe that this nazmus sadat and Zahirul islam omi can be very handy for bangladesh.
Please congratulate me if Both Nazmus Sadat and Safaq Al Zabir get Chance in BD cricket team within a year :-)
Old November 4, 2006, 03:10 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbssr
razab,
Please congratulate me if Both Nazmus Sadat and Safaq Al Zabir get Chance in BD cricket team within a year :-)
Getting into the team is nothing. But if these guys are in and perform at a high level for at least 1 calendar year - I shall gladly buy you a cold, non-alcoholic beverage
Old November 4, 2006, 03:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Missing ATM, Koi din por por.......
Old November 4, 2006, 10:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i am eager to see marshal ayub. he scored 82 from 15 balls in office league.
Old November 4, 2006, 08:57 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
i am eager to see marshal ayub. he scored 82 from 15 balls in office league.
82 of 15, thats 5.46runs per ball, thats crazy, is this for real?

they were probably bowling under-arm
Old November 4, 2006, 11:51 PM
Club Cricketer

alrounder marshal ayub looks so thin! anyways if he could bowl better and consistently, he would be a great asset for BD.
Old November 5, 2006, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

82 off 15 without any boundaries :p

now beat that!
Old November 5, 2006, 02:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Naz,

Your question about why Golam Mabud isn't included in the team reminds me of a similar question Miraz bhai asked why don't we include Mashfiq in this discussion.

What we finally figured is that, there is a general disagreement about whether Pilot can be replaced by someone who hasn't shown his talent yet. But then again, how can someone show their talent unless they're given a chance to. That apart, replacing Pilot isn't going to be easy before the WC. My speculation is that this is the same way that the team will continue until the WC. After that, senior players may be removed...including Rafiq. This will make space for new players to be accomodated in the team.

If new players are brought in at this time, BD team will fail to perform even to what extent they are performing now (meaning, they're already under-performing now). The current strategy is this: send in as many "mature" player as possible, because sending players with zero international level exposure will not help.

And to reiterate on your thought as to we need more of SN type players, yes we really do. Having said that, I meant players who have worked their way up. We don't want another Ashraful who just got put in the team, without proper exposure at different levels. Doing that won't generate new players as much as it will get rid of potential talents.
Old November 5, 2006, 04:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I think Nazmus Sadat's career is going to be looking bright soon with a few opportnities coming around the corner.

I'd also love to see Safaq Al Zabir too ... Syed Rasel is a bit too slow and I think he needs work on his action (his bowling arm hangs like a deformed rat).

You mentioned Golam Mabud ... what about Golam Rahman! He has great stats!
Old November 5, 2006, 04:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

About Mushfiqur Rahim ... he is surely Bangladesh's next keeper ... but I think Bangladesh has the habit of playing rookies too early. Most test playing nations wait until the player is at least 22+ years old before throwing them into the international scene. Bangladesh tends to play players at 19 years old, which is just a tiny bit too early.

Rahim will have a huge career ahead of him. He'll be playing for Bangladesh for at least 12+ years, so there is no need to rush him. Pilot still has about 3 years left in him. He is really experienced and I think Bangladesh needs to continure to keep its squad experienced before rushing in new blood. But there no doubt is a LOT of good talent hanging around and each U/19 team keeps getting better and better.
Old November 5, 2006, 06:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Mushfiqur Rahim should play as batsman in the team. His performance was better then Reza during HP and under 19. Pilot can be the keeper at the same time Mushfiq should be playing cricket in international level.
Old November 5, 2006, 06:50 AM
Cricket Legend

enough of young player. Just play with this set for the nxt 2 yrs. Rahim can play as W/K in some of the ODI but in bigger match Pilot is a must. We do not want any missed stumping or catches behind the wicket
Old November 5, 2006, 07:02 AM
Club Cricketer

Here is a small idea out of my dumb head.

Since we can not host big nations due to their busy schedule and because of the fact that any humiliating defeat will be exposed to media, why don’t we host A teams and B teams of test nations and let them play with our rookies in the name of A team. If our teams lose consecutively, world will not be after us, and may not notice at all. Look at the Schedule of BD. How many match we play? If we could have 6 to 7 A team tour in BD each year, then probably we could avoid such long interval between cricket festivals.

Having said that I know BCB does not want to host A teams since its expensive and very low return in monetary terms. But if we think developing the next string of sideliners its the most cost effective. say, each month there will be matches for our A team, and they will be kept in match practice all the year long. As it is their (our players) chance buildup their good career I don’t think they will complain. So without paying for expensive foreign coach and match fee, we can have them shaped up and ready to fire. Just think, if one A team player plays 15 unofficial tests in a calendar year (with other A teams of course) how beneficial that can be!

I know young players are risky to put into the field straight. but What I heard that these guys are playing cricket from this very young age for pure professional interest. they want career and that is what their parents want. I love this change in common attitude.
Old November 5, 2006, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Naz, you have my full support on A-team issue, BCB should try to organize A-team serieses as frequently as possible. Matter of fact, other Test nation A-teams are playing each other more often than ever before. But the question is how enthusiastic other boards are to send their A-teams over to Bangladesh ? Especially right now, other Test nations, except England, have their own domestic leagues going on and I doubt any of those countries will ask their players to compromise their commitments to their FC teams for an A-team tour to Bangladesh.

Anyway, I hope you will be glad to hear that England A-team is coming to Bangladesh right before the WC'07 starts. Since the national team will be over in West Indies by then, Nazmus, Marshal, Nadif, and whoever else may show their potential during the ongoing domestic season, will get their chances to prove whether they are mature enough to step up to the next level.
Old November 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

in and perform at a high level for at least 1 calendar year - and my opinion is getting into the national team and performing at the highest level for one calendar year is nothing - its what happens afterwards - that's where we need to concentrate on.
Old November 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Let us not worry about not considering new players. Because the way things are going, after a successful or a semi-successful world cup, our team will enter into the test arena with stronger teams with experienced players (experienced players on both sides) and when people will see that our so-successful players in ODIs are failing to perform in test cricket, (failing meaning - failure as a team in test cricket) the new and emerging players will automatically get into the national team just to step up our overall game-performance.
Old November 5, 2006, 01:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglover
Rahim will have a huge career ahead of him. He'll be playing for Bangladesh for at least 12+ years, so there is no need to rush him. Pilot still has about 3 years left in him. He is really experienced and I think Bangladesh needs to continure to keep its squad experienced before rushing in new blood. But there no doubt is a LOT of good talent hanging around and each U/19 team keeps getting better and better.
I agree. Pilot's experience should count more than how he's batting for now. I believe staying under his shadow, our inexperienced players will learn quite a bit. Btw, I don't know how old Mashfiq is...lazy to find it out.

I think I also like the idea of playing Mashfiq as a batsman for the first little while. That will make him get set in that department before anything...which we really need. Plus, he can come in to help if Pilot needs some rest (say in test matches). I'm not sure about the consequences though. Will this effect his wicket keeping skills?
Old November 5, 2006, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
I agree. Pilot's experience should count more than how he's batting for now. I believe staying under his shadow, our inexperienced players will learn quite a bit. Btw, I don't know how old Mashfiq is...lazy to find it out.

I think I also like the idea of playing Mashfiq as a batsman for the first little while. That will make him get set in that department before anything...which we really need. Plus, he can come in to help if Pilot needs some rest (say in test matches). I'm not sure about the consequences though. Will this effect his wicket keeping skills?
When u refer to Experience, wat exactly can the younger players learn form Pilot besides "how to score 30 runs in 100 balls when the team has already lost". Mushfique is a safe keeper to my knowledge. In recent times all teams want a keeper to be a good batsmen . Pilot definately doesnt fit that criteria. If Saquib can be tried with success along with Nafees and Farhad( all of them young) than y not Mushfique? Afterall someday he will have to learn to play the likes of Lee and flintoff so y not now? The way u guys are talking abt the World cup, it seems like we are a serious contender for it. We must rather work on for 2011 WC. Plus everyone is aware of his Afrace scandal during the last WC. Wat has he given besides dropping a lot of catches and Bowling Sanwar Hossain at the end overs during Kenya match in the last WC. His captaincy also lost us the match and series in the recent zimbabwe tour when he decided to replace Shahadat rite after he got his hattrick on the third match. Experience... u sure abt it?
Old November 5, 2006, 04:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
When u refer to Experience, wat exactly can the younger players learn form Pilot besides "how to score 30 runs in 100 balls when the team has already lost". Mushfique is a safe keeper to my knowledge. In recent times all teams want a keeper to be a good batsmen . Pilot definately doesnt fit that criteria. If Saquib can be tried with success along with Nafees and Farhad( all of them young) than y not Mushfique? Afterall someday he will have to learn to play the likes of Lee and flintoff so y not now? The way u guys are talking abt the World cup, it seems like we are a serious contender for it. We must rather work on for 2011 WC. Plus everyone is aware of his Afrace scandal during the last WC. Wat has he given besides dropping a lot of catches and Bowling Sanwar Hossain at the end overs during Kenya match in the last WC. His captaincy also lost us the match and series in the recent zimbabwe tour when he decided to replace Shahadat rite after he got his hattrick on the third match. Experience... u sure abt it?
In the same token, we could argue about many more players. If answering all these questios of yours are important, then every team in the world would see change every single tournament. But fortunately, that's not the case. Our Habibul Bashar isn't any better...he brings Rafiq after the 15th over.

If you're not serious about htis world cup, then too bad. We're serious not in the sense of having BD win so many matches, and what not. We are serious in having the team build some players for later. If you're not looking forward to it right from now, then this discussion shouldn't be of your interest. Any discussion re this issue after the WC '07 should be of your interest.
Old November 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
In the same token, we could argue about many more players. If answering all these questios of yours are important, then every team in the world would see change every single tournament. But fortunately, that's not the case. Our Habibul Bashar isn't any better...he brings Rafiq after the 15th over.

If you're not serious about htis world cup, then too bad. We're serious not in the sense of having BD win so many matches, and what not. We are serious in having the team build some players for later. If you're not looking forward to it right from now, then this discussion shouldn't be of your interest. Any discussion re this issue after the WC '07 should be of your interest.
U did not discredit any of the statements that i made about pilot. thanks for that fact. Secondly to support ur arguement u have used the fact that Bashar is not a good captain Either. If u look at the other threads in the past a lot of people finds it necessary to sack bashar from captincy. However he is the senoir most player in the team that gets respect from his peers so i guess that is the reason he is there. And Secondly change is necessary... i mean no one waits to make change till a player retires from the scenes unless he is the very best. Pilot... the very best....u think so....

Every game is important, and WC is the best stage to perform. However experimenting with muchfiq by giving him a few games before the cup( just to see how he does) cannot be called a bad idea. Specially when Pilot is of no good. Lastly Giving Mushfiq some international exposure wont kill him, he is still being groomed for future neways. I just wanted to make a point that on the 2011WC we will be much better off with a WK who has 6 years of exposure rather than 4. And the fact that pilots Experience never came any good to any team. His bowling change signifies the experience he has( which is null). and lets not even talk abt his batting. Howver His keeping is world class... that is the only eperience that he can really use however these days international team prefers a batsman keeper than only just a keeper.
I hope i made my points clear.
Old November 5, 2006, 07:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Every game is important, and WC is the best stage to perform. However experimenting with muchfiq by giving him a few games before the cup( just to see how he does) cannot be called a bad idea. Specially when Pilot is of no good. Lastly Giving Mushfiq some international exposure wont kill him, he is still being groomed for future neways. I just wanted to make a point that on the 2011WC we will be much better off with a WK who has 6 years of exposure rather than 4. And the fact that pilots Experience never came any good to any team. His bowling change signifies the experience he has( which is null). and lets not even talk abt his batting. Howver His keeping is world class... that is the only eperience that he can really use however these days international team prefers a batsman keeper than only just a keeper.
I hope i made my points clear.
Yup you did. But you haven't been able to convince me. What I'm getting at is not for defending pilot and his capabilities. I'm only talking about the whole scenario, where we have so many inexperienced players. Yes, Mashfiq's 6 years of experience is important, but WC 2007 is also important. There has to be a place where you can draw the line...what do you want more for the big event? A wicket keeper who can still perform (not in batting tho), or a wicket-keeper batsman who we need to experiment with? I don't however mean we shouldn't experiment with Mashfiq at all. May be against weaker opponents would be good. I'm not questioning Mushfiq's qualifications. Miraz bhai has proved his point earlier that Mushfiq has capabilities...so he does. But he has a bright future Inshallah, and we can hang on to his skills for the moment, and let the team play properly in WC '07. After that, say goodbye to Pilot and welcome Mushfiq in. Fortunately enough (for both you and me), we're not gonna make the big decision...so lets just be cool here!

I hope I've proved my point now?
Old November 5, 2006, 07:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Considering new players is an option.
But just before the world cup is not the smartest decision.
And think about the team we have now, except for Habibul, Rafique, pilot and Ashraful rest of the players are fairly new or don't have experience of playing in the world cup.
And that's one of the reason we should consider new players after the world cup.
Old November 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Yup you did. But you haven't been able to convince me. What I'm getting at is not for defending pilot and his capabilities. I'm only talking about the whole scenario, where we have so many inexperienced players. Yes, Mashfiq's 6 years of experience is important, but WC 2007 is also important. There has to be a place where you can draw the line...what do you want more for the big event? A wicket keeper who can still perform (not in batting tho), or a wicket-keeper batsman who we need to experiment with? I don't however mean we shouldn't experiment with Mashfiq at all. May be against weaker opponents would be good. I'm not questioning Mushfiq's qualifications. Miraz bhai has proved his point earlier that Mushfiq has capabilities...so he does. But he has a bright future Inshallah, and we can hang on to his skills for the moment, and let the team play properly in WC '07. After that, say goodbye to Pilot and welcome Mushfiq in. Fortunately enough (for both you and me), we're not gonna make the big decision...so lets just be cool here!

I hope I've proved my point now?
How abt a challange.... Given Mushfique gets to play 1 match in bangladesh jersey against any opposition and gets to keep and bat( comes to crease with atlest 15 overs remaining)... he will turn into a regular feature in the Bangladesh team... I have that much faith in his ability. It is just a friendly challenge.

Again emphasizing for one last time..... Pilots experience proved useless time and time again. I would always prefer an average batsmen and average WK for a ODI than a good WK and mediocre Batsmen.