facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipu606
why bother what Shakib does off the field? lazy or active, what he had for breakfast should not be our concern !!
Shakib Al Hasan. The best cricketer Bangladesh has ever produced. He is the face of Bangladesh. He is the best allrounder in the world. Sponsors are crazy for him, ladies adore him, men respect him and young cricketers strive to be just like him. Now this great player doesnt train hard. Admitted himself that he is probably the laziest person in the team. Does this ring a bell about another person that said the similar thing? Thats right Aftab Ahmed. He also said that he didnt like training. Being successful is about training hard. But the difference between Shakib and Aftab is that Shakib is much more talented.

This sends out the wrong message to everyone. Work hard, play hard. That should be the motto. Shakib is 24 i think. He should at the peak of his fitness right now. If he doesnt train at this age then what will happen if he is 30?

His laziness also affects team morale. Eating lunch while the whole team is training is pretty dissapointing thing to do. We need to change this. Shakib needs to change thee mainstream Bengali thinking which is to be lazy.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Old May 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
No. Will post in detail later.
This is not just about Shakib but about what being a professional is all about. You have a responsibility that transcends yourself. When you do post in detail later, I hope you've actually read through the past 3/4 pages of insightful comments on this issue.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
This sends out the wrong message to everyone. Work hard, play hard. That should be the motto. Shakib is 24 i think. He should at the peak of his fitness right now. If he doesnt train at this age then what will happen if he is 30?

His laziness also affects team morale. Eating lunch while the whole team is training is pretty dissapointing thing to do. We need to change this. Shakib needs to change thee mainstream Bengali thinking which is to be lazy.

I beg to differ here. I do believe hard work pays off, though, everyone has his/her own style of doing things. If someone is hungry, you can't blame him for having lunch! After all, you can't practice if you are hungry, or do you??
Old May 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
I beg to differ here. I do believe hard work pays off, though, everyone has his/her own style of doing things. If someone is hungry, you can't blame him for having lunch! After all, you can't practice if you are hungry, or do you??
Shakib is extremely talented. No doubt about tht. But im worried about the future.

Old May 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Shakib Al Hasan. The best cricketer Bangladesh has ever produced. He is the face of Bangladesh. He is the best allrounder in the world. Sponsors are crazy for him, ladies adore him, men respect him and young cricketers strive to be just like him. Now this great player doesnt train hard. Admitted himself that he is probably the laziest person in the team. Does this ring a bell about another person that said the similar thing? Thats right Aftab Ahmed. He also said that he didnt like training. Being successful is about training hard. But the difference between Shakib and Aftab is that Shakib is much more talented.

No Shakib is not that talented .. Shakib started his career with pretty simple skills and technique.. It was his hard work, determination and dedication that took him to the position where he is today..

Yes I agree he can do much more better by working even harder.. But let's just not tag him as a lazy person.. We should remember he is lazy only by his standard.. each person is different and requires different level of training or approach to his work..say for me I never enjoy going to classes as most of the time I find the teachers boring but when I study the same topic by myself or do the research I find it much more interesting and that helps me to do well in the exams.. Same for many people who doesn't even study 2/3 days before the exam., I remember one of my friend used to play before exam but he always topped in his class.. Not that he was super genius it's just he used to study regularly as he don't like to take the tension before the exam.. So different preparation technique works for different people..

At the end it is the result that matters.. Shakib is not bringing out the extraordinary performance into display without proper input.. We don't really have to worry about him being lazy as in reality he is definitely not that lazy... He is doing his job alright., It's just we want him to put that extra bit both for his team and his own betterment..
Old May 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

just because Shakib said he is the laziest person does not mean he is. He said this to put everyone above him.
If he was the laziest among all the players, he would not be where he is now.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

who cares if he is lazy...goodness...atleast he does the job

and im pretty sure shakib will be unlazy when he thinks he needs too
Old May 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Don't you guys think we are asking too much just from one man ?? Isn't he already doing more than enough job for an all rounder?

Let's see Shakib Al Hasan's job description:

1.Have to be the best batsman of the country
2.Have to be the best bowler of the country
3.Have to be the best fielder
4.If the entire team fails he has to be the one to bail out and if the team lose it has to be him who will have to take the responsibility of the loss
5.Have to maintain his best All rounder status in the world
6.Have to be very diplomatic
7.Have to be the role model for the younger generation:
a)So should be the most hard working person in the team (come early for training and be the last person to leave)
b)Should be friends with each and every team member
c)Should be friends with media people and give all the juicy news that they want
8.Have to be humble, kind or all the adjectives we can think for a saint

Yes that's all we demand from him.. No matter what he does we ask more from him .. It's ok to expect more as He is the best.. but we should remember he is not a saint who have to be perfect in each and every department .. It's a tough job description even for a saint... Let's give this man his space and let him shine.. I'm all for encouraging him to go that extra mile.. but such discussion where people are tagging him as a "Lazy person" might just discourage him.. The laziness factor would have been worrisome if he was out of form.. But he is not..
Old May 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

^Reminds me of a saying from one of my friends "Shakib's much MORE important for Bangladesh than Tendulkar's for India"
Old May 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

a player can be a bit lazy compared to others but they are all professionals,there is a coach who is monitoring them so no chance of getting away with it, what i am trying to say is Sakib might be a little lazier than others but not that lazy that it might affect his performance.
so no need to be worried.
what is usually more alarming is when a plyer becomes complacent or gets too satisfied with himself.
as we know Sak is not complacent nor easy to satisfy type of playa.he is hungry for success and always looks to improve.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old May 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
You don't get the point do you? Forget about the role model crap but Shakib is a supposed to be a professional athlete and a professional is always sharpening and hoing his skills to want to do better than he can. Just because he is so very good, a class away from the rest of the players (yes, even Tamim), he can get away with it, and he so very good even on a world level that he can coast without the hard work. Imagine if he did put the effort?
No Doc,
I get it and surprised why you are on the other (dark) side still.

For all folks (who have nothing better to do),
1) What makes you think he hasn't trying to improve his skills? This accusation is bad unless you have certain proof. How many practice session has he missed for KKR, BD, Khulna, Abahani, Victoria, Wshire in the nets?

I remember only one instances where he wanted join the team later while coming from overseas and going to photo shoot. That is the only incident I can recall of his misstep on training.

2) What Law/Pont are talking about is totally different of what you guys are accusing of. They are talking about physical training to get better endurance, strength, stamina and may be speed in the off season. Well, last four years when did he have a off season?

Lazy? Come on, non-stop cricket for the last four plus years and he is lazy? Had he gained a bhuri like Tamim - Mashrafe - Ashraful - Alok you could have a small prayer.

Good thing he has the brains not to over burden his body which you want to impose on him. He is a BKSP product. He for one knows the value of training hard (and honing on new skills).

No BD player played half the matches Shakib played in last four years. He needs to keep his training shedule as minimal as possible in order to be fit for the next 10 years and not injure himself by over training and not much rest.

You have to understand when to train hard and when to back off. With non-stop cricket he is playing he needs to back off a little from the physical training that Coach Law suggested. Good thing his cricketing brains are thousand times better than the arm chair alrounders we have at BC.
Old July 12, 2013, 12:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Amar hone hoi kano Shakib din din ato bhalo kelche na because oh to ektu lazy...

After injuries and stuff he "maybe" didn't work as hard as he should have to get to his best. But that's my assumption. Or maybe he just doesn't have the momentum with him atm.
Old July 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

DOOMED or NOT ???
Old July 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

He survives today.
Old July 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Would love to see him retire with 8000+ ODI runs and 350+ wickets. That would mean he will end up one of the best ODI all rounders of all time ahead of Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, Pollock, Imran Khan, Flintoff etc. I mean statistics wise, so please dont launch an assault on how dare i compare Shakib with these legends. Only Jayasuriya and Kallis would be ahead of him.

He's still 26, and only played 129 ODI's. Kallis has played 321 ODI's, Jayasuriya 445. I do hope Shakib plays for another decade or so. He'll definitely get there. But to play till you are 35 or 36 isnt easy and sth rare in Bangladeshi cricket. Most of the time injuries, poor fitness come into play. Younger players will also challenge. So Shakib will have to continue to work very hard.

In the 90's, Sri Lanka cricket had this issue. Guys like Ranatunga and De Silva would come to practice sessions, pad up go directly to the nets, enjoy batting practice and quietly escape the tougher fitness, fielding drills. Dav Whatmore challenged that, changed that. Today Sangakkara demonstrates the opposite. At 35 he is still going strong. Its not just his natural talent, he still continues to work very hard at his game. A perfectionist who never stops learning. Here's an interesting read on what i am trying to explain http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lank...ry/624169.html

Lesson in it for Shakib or any other Bangladeshi cricketers. You dont get there only with talent. You have to back it up with pure old fashioned hard work
Old July 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Well said Jeesh bhai. The problem is i dont see him putting hardwork into training. TImmy Cahill once said "sacrifice is the key. No one becomes a great footballer without training, by just turning up. No-one is that talented. Even the best players in the world train hard everyday to stay where they are". Cahill also said that when he was young he sacrificed school dances, outings, discos etc. just for "training". That shows the dedication he has for the sport. Although he was talking about football the same can be said for any sport.

He sacrificed all these stuff now he has achieved great things over his career. He might not be in the elite bracket of footballers but it shows the hardwork he had to do just to be one of the good players in the league.

I dont see this coming from Shakib...
Old July 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Well I stick to what I said before, clothed in a rubbish post, ie the EMOTIONAL qualities are important: play, enjoy, passion, love...etcetera all those "tuttyfrutiy" nebulous vague stuff.

I often mention us military here and I was once extremely surprised to see that snipers and marines mention that one of the qualities a good soldier must possess is inquisitiveness. I mean one doesn't actually equate creativity with frikkin sniping or push ups y'know.

I disagree with jeesh. Hard work without spirit or motivation will make you deadwood, and every day will seem like a chore.

Note, smartest players actually works least, but - well- smartest. Great players were also pioneers like Ranjitsingh, Larwood with bodyline, Mendis carom, Mushtaq's googly and what not.

khali ghadar moton roder niche khellei to aar hobe na, matha khatate hobe - jungel proverb

So back to the inquisitiveness, an athlete needs to apply his brain and find his own space (which Shakib's aloof nature hints) and be CURIOUS and constantly ask questions on improving his game. As I mentioned here, one should go to far away China if necessary.

Also jeesh, one doesn't usually target such records and milestones. They happen. Naturally. Spontaneously. Sure, everyone has his or her goals, but it's like saying: Agar went to crease with a half-c in mind, yesterday.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:40 AM
Cricket Legend

I never said spirit or motivation should be kept out :P. Mendis didnt develop the carrom ball overnight through his smartness or intelligence. It did take a lot of trial and error and practice. If you dont put in that effort, no matter how bright you are-you will never make it big. Do read Malcom Gladwell's Outliers, you will get an idea of what i mean. An interesting example he mentioned in the book was the case of the Beatles. In his opinion Beatles didnt become Beatles by being four cute boys and having incredible talent. True they had talent but what made them was the 1200 gigs or 10,000 hours of live performance (Before their first record) in strip clubs, bars, pubs, eight hours a day, seven days a week, for months, playing different genres of music. Gladwell says they became the best rehearsed band in the world, they had so much of chemistry, teamwork and understanding which resulted from these long hours of toil. Its the same in sports, business.

I am going to paste a part of the Sangakkara article that really struck me

Quote:
If Graham Ford and the coaching staff have not already highlighted Sangakkara's work ethic as a paragon of the genre, Sri Lanka's young players are missing a forceful lesson on the dividends of hard work. In his fitness, Sangakkara has been uncompromising, but his attitude towards batting in the nets, where he lurks to take advantage of every free slot long after his allocated time has passed, has been a vital component of his success. When he began in international cricket, his technique to spin was shaky, his stroke-range limited and his footwork imprecise. As Sohag Gazi, Mahmudullah and Elias Sunny found, he has since become one of the most complete batsmen of his generation through persistence.
Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lank...ry/624169.html

I am waiting for the day a reporter writes about our players like this.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Fair enough, Jeesh. I guess - and you'd probably agree- what's importance is "good work ethic" rather than "hard work". Look at Rubel and Shahadat. No doubt they like to bowl their hearts out, but still they lack the brains to mix up deliveries and intimidate batsman.

I don't disagree with you; it's just like that "hard work" IMHO has a very very negative connotation. To me it means sawing against the grain. One can punch a cement wall all he likes but he won't break it.

I guess we are quibbling about minor semantics...
Old July 13, 2013, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

In case anyones interested- Beatles Prodigies Or Not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHa9n4jbGw
Old July 13, 2013, 12:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Fair enough, Jeesh. I guess - and you'd probably agree- what's importance is "good work ethic" rather than "hard work". Look at Rubel and Shahadat. No doubt they like to bowl their hearts out, but still they lack the brains to mix up deliveries and intimidate batsman.

I don't disagree with you; it's just like that "hard work" IMHO has a very very negative connotation. To me it means sawing against the grain. One can punch a cement wall all he likes but he won't break it.

I guess we are quibbling about minor semantics...
Yeah thats true. Sth Lehmann is trying to do with Australia. Mixing hard work with fun, making players enjoy the game. Work ethic, talent, intelligence. All things must be there. Ashraful probably had more talent than Sanga, but its the other two things which made Sanga who he is and where Ashraful ended.
Old July 13, 2013, 01:02 AM
Cricket Legend

By putting in the hardwork you have to be motivated. To be "motivated" you need a lot of passion for the game.