facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 13, 2015, 06:34 PM

Default Shakib - The Top All-rounder of the World Cricket

Shakib became the first cricketer in world cricket history to be the number one all-rounder in all three formats of the game which is an outstanding achievements. Congratulation Shakib on your great achievements and for making Bangladesh proud.

Shakib Al Hasan just may be the world’s best cricketer
Cameron Tomarchio, NEWS.COM.AU

BC Attached Image

IF HIS Wikipedia profile is anything to go by, Shakib Al Hasan is not only the best cricketer in the world right now but potentially the greatest of all time.

“Shakib Al Hasan (born 24 March 1987) is a Bangladeshi international cricketer and statistically the most successful player in the Cricket World’s history,” the page reads.

That’s obviously way off, with Don Bradman and Jacques Kallis among a host of legends with a more legitimate claim to that tag.

But there is an explanation for the Wiki profile writer’s excitement.

In the latest International Cricket Council rankings, released this week, the talented left-handed bastman and left-arm spinner became the first player in history to become the No. 1 all-rounder in all three formats of the game.

Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara is ranked the best Test batsman in the world right now, South African AB de Villiers the best one-day batsman and Indian fireband Virat Kohli the best in Twenty20.

South African paceman Dale Steyn is considered the top bowler in Tests, West Indies’ Sunil Narine is the highest ranked one-day bowler and his countryman Samuel Badree the best in Twenty20.

But the only man to lead all three formats in his field — and indeed in batting and bowling combined — is Al Hasan, which is quite a feat and a considerable claim to being the best cricketer in the world at the moment.

While largely unknown to Australian audiences at international level, cricket fans may know Al Hasan from his short Big Bash stints with the Adelaide Strikers last season and the Melbourne Renegades this summer.

Just last night, the 27-year-old took 4-13 in the Renegades’ five-wicket win against the Brisbane Heat. In his three matches so far this season, he has taken seven wickets at just 9.85 with an impressive economy rate of 5.75 — but is yet to produce with the bat, with a top score of 14.

Initially lauded for his temperament, Al Hasan became the youngest Bangladesh skipper in history in just his second Test at 22 years of age.

But last year he was slapped with a six-month ban for what his country’s cricket board described as a “severe attitude problem”.

His bowling is clever and accurate; his batting aggressive. And his numbers are strong in all three forms, achieving what every all-rounder aims to: a higher batting average than their bowling average. (Check out his stats at the bottom of the page)

Critics will argue Al Hasan’s numbers have been so strong because of the level of competition. He has never played Australia in Tests, for example, and five of his past nine Tests have been against Zimbabwe dating back to April 2013.

But there is no doubting his world-class status given he has taken Test five-wicket hauls against every nation he has faced since making his debut in 2007, including South Africa, India and England.

He’ll be one to watch at the upcoming World Cup, with Australia facing Bangladesh at the Gabba on Saturday, February 2.

SHAKIB AL HASAN BY THE NUMBERS

TESTS

Matches: 37
Runs: 2529
Batting average: 38.31
100s: 3
50s: 17
Wickets: 140
Bowling average: 31.45
5-wicket innings: 14
10-wicket matches: 1

ONE-DAYERS

Matches: 141
Runs: 3977
Batting average: 34.58
100s: 6
50s: 26
Wickets: 182
Bowling average: 27.92
Economy rate: 4.26

TWENTY20
Matches: 35
Runs: 832
Batting average: 22.78
Strike rate: 128.10
50s: 4
Wickets: 44
Bowling average: 18.90
Economy rate: 6.49

Courtesy: Razi
Read @ NEWS.COM.AU

Last edited by kalpurush; January 14, 2015 at 05:22 AM..

Old January 13, 2015, 06:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

legend. but is he world class?
Old January 13, 2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man
#1 in the word is not world class!?

Just wondering!!
Old January 13, 2015, 07:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Definitely not world class. Maybe not even business class. Maybe economy class.
Old January 13, 2015, 08:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Posting from the other thread just to head off this whole world-class debate
--------------
As myself:
Guys, you are veteran members yet you fall for KDPP and trolls. My definition of World Class is simple. How many teams would gladly take Shakib as a replacement for their current #6 or #7 or #8 (depending on how strong that side's batting and bowling is.

1) Engerland. Shakib vs. Treadwell in ODIs and Shakib vs. Moin in Tests. Easily Shakib in the ODI side and it would be a toss-up in the Test side. Remember, Moin and Shak played in the same side and Shak was the better bower and had decent run with the bat
2) India. Shak vs. Jadeja in ODIs, Shak vs. Ashwin in Tests. close but I think Shak's proven performances outside Asia gets him in that side.
3) Australia. Shak instead of Maxwell in ODIs. Shak vs. Watto in Tests with option of taking a different pacer instead of Lyon. Maxwell wins in ODIs because he's a bigger hitter but in Tests, Shak walks in
4) South Africa. Shak vs. Wayne Parnell in ODIs, Shak vs. the new guy replacing Peterson/Tahir. Gimme. Shak in both cases because Saffers don't have any really proven spinners
5) Pakistan. Shak vs. Afridi in ODIs. Shak vs. Mohd. Hafeez in Tests. wash. Not clear cut.
6) Zimbabwe. Agar jigay? Next
7) New Zealand. Shak vs. Vettori (ODIs). Shak vs. Sodhi/Craig - Tests. Danny boy wins. Shak wins in Tests
8) Sri Lanka. Shak vs. Sennanayeke (ODIs). Shak vs. Herath Tests. Suchitra and Rangana wins
9) Windies. Shak vs. Narine/Samuels (ODIs). Shak vs. Benn in Tests. Narine/Samuels wins. Shak over the gentle giant easily.

So if you are keeping tabs. Shakib walks into the ODI and Test sides of most cricketing nations. Explain to me again why he is not world class?
Old January 13, 2015, 08:42 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Case closed. Thanks RazabQ :-)
Old January 13, 2015, 08:44 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
He's just a bangla hype. Nothing compared to the class of mighty Afridi.
Old January 13, 2015, 08:55 PM
Cricket Guru

He's not considered world-class by the rest of the world because he plays for a mediocre team who's losses and embarrassing performances overshadows his brilliance. Also unfair BD never gets to play in places like India, Aus, SA, NZ and Eng as often, where individual performances would grant you the title, cause Shakib would easily back his title up in those conditions.

Of course there is nothing in CI related to this either.
Old January 13, 2015, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Some time doesn't really matter how good you are, world class, top class or how many times you beat your opponent still there is some people will tell your you are not good enough.
Old January 13, 2015, 10:24 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

he actually became the only cricketer to be #1 in all 3 formats last december..this time he became the only cricketer to be #1 across all 3 formats at the same time!
Old January 13, 2015, 10:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Pretty epic to be #1 across all 3 formats at the same time, undoubtedly the best all rounder of current times.
Old January 14, 2015, 03:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

news.com.au analysis...

Quote:
Have you even heard of the world’s best cricketer?

IF HIS Wikipedia profile is anything to go by, this Big Bash star is not only the best cricketer in the world right now but potentially the greatest of all time.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket...-1227184515219
Old January 14, 2015, 03:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Who was the last allrounder to be no. 1 ranked allrounder throughout all formats?

EDIT: right shakib is the first guy to achieve this
Old January 14, 2015, 04:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Who was the last allrounder to be no. 1 ranked allrounder throughout all formats?

EDIT: right shakib is the first guy to achieve this

Centuries ago..Legend has it...that afridi also accomplished this feat...some say ashwin too
Old January 14, 2015, 09:30 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Quote:
Centuries ago..Legend has it...that afridi also accomplished this feat...some say ashwin too
You got it wrong.....all that matters is how fearful the opposition is towards you. Shakib is way off that list, because he cannot strike fear in the hearts of opposition players like how Afridi does. And that is because the opposition players are concerned their gfs will be mesmerized by Afridi's looks...and that's why afridi's competition is to hit the ball as high as possible for catch practice to mid off or mid on.
Old January 14, 2015, 09:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

There's a lot of hype on Shakib now. This will be a big WC and can really elevate his status even further. I'm confident he can do well and continue to show his class.
Old January 14, 2015, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

It is said that Shakib's tears can cure cancer. Too bad he never cries.

It is said that Shakib can speak Russian...in French.

It is said he once won a staring competition against his own reflection.

He is the most interesting man in the world.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Old January 16, 2015, 05:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Not only a world class, will be the one of the world's finest allrouders all time list when he will retire.

PS -G bhai ajkal mone hoe anek tanchen..lol
Old January 16, 2015, 05:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
Not only a world class, will be the one of the world's finest allrouders all time list when he will retire.

PS -G bhai ajkal mone hoe anek tanchen..lol
Hahah yeh u know..whatever gets me through life...
Old January 17, 2015, 10:14 PM

SHAKIB AL HASAN: PURSUING GREATNESS

By Adam Burnett

My grandfather used to tell me stories. He used to tell me, “When you grow up, you will become so big that everyone in the world will know you. When you come to your home town, people will stand and clap you.”

There’s a certain irony to the predictions made by Shakib Al Hasan’s grandfather when Bangladesh’s greatest-ever cricketer was but a small boy.

In some ways, they’re almost prescient.

Now 27, Shakib is lauded whenever he returns to his home town, but also beyond, having taken superstardom in Bangladesh to a new level courtesy of an intriguing mix of cricket ability and charisma.

In 2012, his wedding was broadcast live across a number of national television channels. Younger teammates have happily admitted to idolising him. And Shakib himself concedes it has been a long time since he could openly walk the streets of Dhaka without creating a national incident.

Yet the irony exists because few have achieved what Shakib has managed in the sport without drawing the traditionally requisite global headlines.

This is a man who sits alongside Imran Khan and Sir Ian Botham as the only men in Test history to take 10 wickets and score a century in the same match, yet theirs are names that dwarf the Bangladeshi outside the country of his birth.

This week he achieved something equally remarkable, becoming the first player in the history of the game to achieve the ICC No.1 ranking in one discipline across all three formats concurrently.

sah

That his is the allrounder craft only adds to the significance of the achievement.

But the story of Shakib Al Hasan goes well beyond records and rankings.

Currently in Australia as part of the Renegades’ squad for BBL|04, he is an anonymous figure in cosmopolitan Melbourne, and remains a relative unknown in this country even when plying his trade with bat or ball – particularly in comparison to the likes of teammates Finch and Bravo.

That despite already earning a man-of-the-match award for his spell of 4-13 against Brisbane Heat in his third match for the club.

It’s a far cry from his standing in the world’s eighth-most populous country, where he is the most famous individual among a staggering 160 million.

“No, no I can’t,” Shakib tells bigbash.com.au when asked about walking the streets of Dhaka, his country’s capital and home to 14 million people despite being just seven per cent the size of Sydney.

“I don’t go to any of the shopping malls – I can’t go there. I go to a few of the restaurants, but selected ones. I don’t go out much.”

The son of a government-employed banker, Shakib divided his childhood between soccer (a sport he still prefers over cricket) in the mornings, and cricket in the afternoons.

By 15, he was representing his country, bowling his left-arm orthodox spin for his allotted 10 overs and batting at the top of the order.

A dozen years later, little has changed.

But in another way, everything has changed.

sah

Surely the world’s No.1 allrounder tag carries with it responsibility and pressure?

“Responsibility, yes. Pressure, no,” Shakib says.

“It’s not pressure when you enjoy it, and I enjoy this. It’s very, very special.”

Predictably, the recent fortunes of the Bangladesh national side have ebbed and flowed in line with those of their star allrounder.

And they’ve only just emerged from the nadir.

The 2014 calendar year brought with it a suspension for Shakib and a 13-match winless run across all international forms for Bangladesh.

The horrible slump – which included a humiliating defeat at the hands of Hong Kong in the Bangladesh-based World T20 tournament – and the fall from grace of their hero had many Bangladeshis disillusioned with their nation’s cricketing fortunes, and future.

“It was difficult for me personally, and for the team,” Shakib says, steering the conversation away from the controversial suspension he received after an argument with national coach Chandika Hathurusinghe.

“We haven’t done well. We had a very good opportunity, especially the T20 World Cup at home.

“We prepared well, there were some close games we didn’t win, some luck didn’t (happen) for us.

“Overall it was a bad time for us, but we ended with a high note – against Zimbabwe we played very well, and hopefully we take that confidence into this year’s World Cup.”

In July, Shakib was criticised by Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hassan for having “a severe attitude problem” following the dispute with Hathurusinghe, and prevented him from taking part in the overseas domestic T20 competitions in which he had become a regular fixture.

The incident put another stain on Shakib’s chequered disciplinary record.

In May 2013, he’d been fined 75 per cent of his match fee after pleading guilty to showing serious dissent at an umpire's decision in an ODI against Zimbabwe.

In February 2014, he was banned for three matches by the BCB for "making an inappropriate gesture on live television" in an ODI against Sri Lanka.

Some claim Shakib had been afforded too much leeway by the BCB due to his status as the country’s biggest sporting drawcard.

Yet the fallout with Hathurusinghe was clearly the final straw. The ban meant he missed the T20 Champions League with Indian Premier League side Kolkata Knight Riders, but two months later, while still in the initial six-month suspension window, he was permitted to return to the national side.

And so came the high note against Zimbabwe he refers to.

In the first of a five-match ODI series, Shakib made a century and took four wickets to orchestrate his side’s victory and end what had been a miserable run.

In the Tests that followed, he matched the record of Imran and Botham and by the completion of the series he had Mitchell Johnson for company as the two men to take 15 wickets (he took 18) and score more than 250 runs (he made 251) in a three-Test series.

sah

Of course, the caveat often cited with Shakib is that many of his greatest feats have occurred against weaker nations, such as Zimbabwe.

Certainly it’s true, to a point.

Yet it should also be noted that he’s taken at least one Test five-wicket haul against every nation he’s played. He’s also made Test hundreds against New Zealand and Pakistan.

The one omission from Shakib’s Test record is Australia, a team his country hasn’t faced since 2006, a year before Shakib debuted as a 20-year-old.

The left-armer and left-handed batsman claims he excels against the strongest opposition, but it’s that sort of scheduling restriction that has largely constrained him from the opportunity to prove that.

- See more at: http://www.bigbash.com.au/news-and-v....tO3E0gtL.dpuf
Old January 17, 2015, 11:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Australians are getting to know him slowly. But the best way to do it is to perform in the world cup.
Old January 18, 2015, 04:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

He hasn't played enough vs the top teams. .. as he mentioned in his recent interview n looking forward this SA and Aus tours.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy
He hasn't played enough vs the top teams. .. as he mentioned in his recent interview n looking forward this SA and Aus tours.

Quote:

But there is no doubting his world-class status given he has taken Test five-wicket hauls against every nation he has faced since making his debut in 2007, including South Africa, India and England.
^^^
Old January 18, 2015, 08:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
How many teams would gladly take Shakib as a replacement for their current #6 or #7 or #8 (depending on how strong that side's batting and bowling is.

1) Engerland. Shakib vs. Treadwell in ODIs and Shakib vs. Moin in Tests. Easily Shakib in the ODI side and it would be a toss-up in the Test side. Remember, Moin and Shak played in the same side and Shak was the better bower and had decent run with the bat
2) India. Shak vs. Jadeja in ODIs, Shak vs. Ashwin in Tests. close but I think Shak's proven performances outside Asia gets him in that side.
3) Australia. Shak instead of Maxwell in ODIs. Shak vs. Watto in Tests with option of taking a different pacer instead of Lyon. Maxwell wins in ODIs because he's a bigger hitter but in Tests, Shak walks in
4) South Africa. Shak vs. Wayne Parnell in ODIs, Shak vs. the new guy replacing Peterson/Tahir. Gimme. Shak in both cases because Saffers don't have any really proven spinners
5) Pakistan. Shak vs. Afridi in ODIs. Shak vs. Mohd. Hafeez in Tests. wash. Not clear cut.
6) Zimbabwe. Agar jigay? Next
7) New Zealand. Shak vs. Vettori (ODIs). Shak vs. Sodhi/Craig - Tests. Danny boy wins. Shak wins in Tests
8) Sri Lanka. Shak vs. Sennanayeke (ODIs). Shak vs. Herath Tests. Suchitra and Rangana wins
9) Windies. Shak vs. Narine/Samuels (ODIs). Shak vs. Benn in Tests. Narine/Samuels wins. Shak over the gentle giant easily.

So if you are keeping tabs. Shakib walks into the ODI and Test sides of most cricketing nations. Explain to me again why he is not world class?
In all fairness that's a lot of speculations Razab bhai. Objection speculation!
I mean you are assuming a game would actually take place where a foreign born player would canter to their #7 not once not twice but in all the nations of the world. Call me dumb, (not to confuse with idumb) I'd rather take Ish Sodhi!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 18, 2015, 08:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

Hope Shakib will get some runs with the bat. his team may not make to finals. chances little.