facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 9, 2010, 12:42 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doeschate
Default Test Cricket "murdered" !

With the power that is the ICC, it is hard to believe that a governing body of such a sublime sport is unable to resurrect test cricket back to its former glory. The players say it is the curators preparing one sided pitches, the curators are saying it is the players unable to utilize pitches, I say it is in the hands of the powers that be, the ICC. It seems like a ploy or even a conspiracy to kill test cricket. Why you may ask? Money hungry boards and governing bodies are blinded by the success of 2020, why waste money on hosting and marketing test cricket with minimum returns when a 2020 tournament can bring the kind of cash never seen before in cricket. The people in charge are businessmen and not true cricket lovers, much like the underhand politics of world governments, the same game is being played by the ICC. They don’t care about the people, they care only for themselves.

If test cricket was the main concern for these people, with all the technological marvels the world has been able to achieve in the last century, surely they can bring in lively pitches even to the now tarnished stadium in Sinhalese. With the kind of money being generated these days, can it really be that difficult to bring in drop in pitches from Australia, England or South Africa? If drug lords can grow weed in warehouses using special lights and temperature control to get the room atmosphere to match that of countries where it is naturally grown, can a similar approach be looked into? The ICC must proactively search for a solution. In formula 1, the rules were recently changed, all the teams were spending millions of pounds on reconfiguring the cars in order to match race rules, does the ICC need to have a similar approach by passing laws on boards to prepare better pitches and to promote test cricket? Yes some national boards are not in a state to fund for such a venture, but the ICC and two or three national boards have enough funds available to assist the less fortunate boards.

They have left us test lovers in the dark and forgotten about us, they are now looking for a new target audience, the type who enjoys this 2020 nonsense, who cares about us? The type who enjoys a mental challenge lasting 5 days, where the best of the best use their minds to out think the opponent, in 2020 you will never see a Mohammad Asif set up a batsman for 2 or 3 over’s by persisting with immaculate line and length before sending in the killer ball. You will never see a Mike Hussey rescue in Sydney or experience the little master in his astonishing state of mind: Sachin Tendulker engaged in a test innings, the concentration, the patience, the technique, a clear mind, lighting fast reactions being employed over and over again. What a sight! I don’t even need to mention Ashes 2005, perhaps the greatest test series ever. Let’s see a 2020 tournament match that. Is it even possible?

The ICC has a plan, and they are planning on murdering test cricket. We will not see them stand up and say “ right, here is what we are going to do to bring test cricket back, we have a plan over the next 3 – 5 years to revive test cricket” All we hear about is future 2020 prospects and tournaments. I refuse to believe that nothing can be done to revive test cricket. They want it gone and they are doing everything they can to kill it, which in this case is nothing.

Old August 9, 2010, 02:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

2-tier is the answer, come vote in my poll at International section.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:39 AM
Banned

See my thread on this & vote :

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=33582

tell what you think of it
Old August 9, 2010, 04:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Test cricket was always like this, Hritik, I think you are over reacting. There were more boring/one sided pitches in earlier day. May be your 20/20 mind isn't loving test cricket in current form. You can't get your old wife look/feel like a teen ager, no matter how much makeover you do. you must love her for reasons that a teenager doesn't have. I just don't want any tampering with the basics of test cricket. Let the home team chose what pitch they want to face an opponent.

2 Tire is not the answer, 4 day test isn't the answer, Day/Ni could be a partial answer to get the people coming in the evening, wider use of technology could be a partial answer, Best answer is to produce quality players, spectators will automatically come, and T20/ODi is contributing to that largely. You shouldn;t try to make test cricket look like T20. (All IMO) Relax man, it's not a murder, it's just let the Test cricket live like it was, without makeovers.
Old August 9, 2010, 05:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Test cricket was always like this, Hritik, I think you are over reacting. There were more boring/one sided pitches in earlier day. May be your 20/20 mind isn't loving test cricket in current form. You can't get your old wife look/feel like a teen ager, no matter how much makeover you do. you must love her for reasons that a teenager doesn't have. I just don't want any tampering with the basics of test cricket. Let the home team chose what pitch they want to face an opponent.

2 Tire is not the answer, 4 day test isn't the answer, Day/Ni could be a partial answer to get the people coming in the evening, wider use of technology could be a partial answer, Best answer is to produce quality players, spectators will automatically come, and T20/ODi is contributing to that largely. You shouldn;t try to make test cricket look like T20. (All IMO) Relax man, it's not a murder, it's just let the Test cricket live like it was, without makeovers.
Spot on.
Old August 9, 2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

But a well organised Test/FC calender is needed and it should be easy for the viewers to understand the points table, unlike the present one.

The minnows should also be included in the Test sphere through a world test championship.
Old August 9, 2010, 09:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

i think hritik has been watching the india vs srilanka test series during the entire day!
Old August 9, 2010, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

^^ watched the second test and missed the third one !
Old August 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

read carefully and fully before replying

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
2-tier is the answer, come vote in my poll at International section.
1) 2-tier per se is not the answer

and

2) a veritable 2-tier system has been in place for the past 4-5 years

i firmly believe that more countries need to be playing more tests. if this means "cheapening" test cricket, so be it. cricket has to realize that its not football and that there aren't 10-20 teams who can all aspire to be world champions, or say that they were one time champs.

furthermore, the idea of weak teams cheapening the competition is not talked about in other sports, why should cricket be any different?

i think Ireland and Afghanistan should be fast-tracked to Test status no later than 5 years or so from now. ideally, the Irish are ready now - if they get Morgan and others back, and the Afghans are not far behind.

as for the "cheapening effect" of adding two more rank minnows along with Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, West Indies, New Zealand, and possibly Pakistan and Sri Lanka (in away matches)...one of two things needs to happen.

firstly, we can keep the system of bilateral tours, and just let nature do its thing. India, Australia, England, and South Africa will play each other 30 times each decade, and play the handful of matches with the lower ranked 8 sides. this isn't a terrible idea, although the question of dead pitches and dwindling interest will still remain.

secondly, we can forget about the bilateral tours and start a league system, many versions of which have been floated by cricket fans over the past few years.

either way, i care only about whats good for Bangladeshi cricket, and by extension that means cricket as a whole, so long as Bangladesh gets to benefit as well.

I see nothing wrong with playing a couple of series agains the top sides, and spending most of the rest of the time playing the other weaklings of test cricket. as long as we continue improving, we'll be fine. already the recognition of BD moving up is taking place ("pakistan collapse like bangladesh of old").

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 9, 2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

what do you think of my world test championship proposal see my thread on it ?

Old August 9, 2010, 10:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Guys how far is Hemayatpur from Banglacricket.com?
Old August 9, 2010, 10:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Guys how far is Hemayatpur from Banglacricket.com?
As far as the gym & his room.
Old August 9, 2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Take away pakistan"s test status
Old August 9, 2010, 12:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
As much as I would like to say that too wiseshah bro, it's also true that they've beaten Australia not long ago in a test with this inexperienced team which we can only dream of. So your demand is not justified.
Old August 9, 2010, 04:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

Very constructive thoughts. No argument from me.
Old August 9, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrithik
what do you think of my world test championship proposal see my thread on it ?

if relegation is involved, im not for it. there should only be promotion. relegation should only happen in the rarest and most dire situations.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 9, 2010, 08:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Good post AF, but here are some bright side for a 2-tier approach.

There are some pros and cons of making Test matches 2-tier.

Pros:
Highly competitive matches among close opponents in strength.
More result-oriented test matches, will increase the interest and pull more spectators
Teams will feel competitive and ready once they reach the upper level
The scheduling would be lot easier when number of matches will increase and still players will have ample time to adjust their work life and rest days
BD has better chance to make it, look at U-19 team, we always win the plate.

Whether it is always debatable but for the sake of Test cricket and to eliminate such threads with keywords like Murder, the build up of longer version as an interesting thing to follow among the new generation of fans something needs to be done and immediate solution is a necessity as a lot of time has already been wasted.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
As far as the gym & his room.
I don't understand this unnecessary personal attack.

BC is full of one line posts these days that require little thinking from both the author and the reader. Agree or disagree, Hrithik made a valid point with good supporting arguments and it did not deserve such ridicule. I don't even think you read his entire post. classless!
Old August 9, 2010, 09:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
oh ya sure make the number 1 bowling side in the world sit out from test cricket

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old August 9, 2010, 10:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

Test Cricket may die out but that won't be due to ICC. That be due to the change in taste and us viewers. The question on hand is if or should the ICC can do anything to save it ? I think they can do very little since cricket or any form of game is considered as entertainment and its obvious they'll show what we want to see. The pitch is a factor and i think is the prime factor should test cricket be ever ruled out at all. And when you are talking reviving subcontinental pitches and making them bowler friendly so that there is a balance, i think we are talking huge huge amounts of money the proper distribution of which is a bit far fetched due to the corrupted boards and governing bodies we have here in the subcontinent.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Good post AF, but here are some bright side for a 2-tier approach.

There are some pros and cons of making Test matches 2-tier.

Pros:
Highly competitive matches among close opponents in strength.
More result-oriented test matches, will increase the interest and pull more spectators
Teams will feel competitive and ready once they reach the upper level
The scheduling would be lot easier when number of matches will increase and still players will have ample time to adjust their work life and rest days
BD has better chance to make it, look at U-19 team, we always win the plate.

Whether it is always debatable but for the sake of Test cricket and to eliminate such threads with keywords like Murder, the build up of longer version as an interesting thing to follow among the new generation of fans something needs to be done and immediate solution is a necessity as a lot of time has already been wasted.
if the 2nd tier has official Test status, sure. if it also means there will be matches between members of different tiers, sure.

otherwise we will get what we are getting now. India refuses to play Pakistan for political reasons. now they can add that pakistan bat worse than minnows. India refuses to host BD or ZIM. WI are minnows too so they won't get to tour anytime soon. fine. that leaves just england, australia, south africa, and NZ and SL to play. when the other countries are busy, u get 15 series of India and SL.

that can't be good for cricket.
otherwise, i think its just a giant step backwards.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 10, 2010, 01:56 AM
Banned

Test cricket has a history of 133 years if it dies out it will take cricket with it.If anything has to die it should be the 100 ovs ODI which lasts for 8 hours too much time consuming.The success & money of IPL has ensured T20 is here to stay.

As for the relegation system i say to al furqaan that we will add two nations to the major league after the first season then start the relegation of bottom two from the next season.

Eg.Ban & Ire gets promoted first season.Then WI,Ire gets relegated the next season

or else you can think of a playoff system
Old August 10, 2010, 02:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrithik
Test cricket has a history of 133 years if it dies out it will take cricket with it.If anything has to die it should be the 100 ovs ODI which lasts for 8 hours too much time consuming.The success & money of IPL has ensured T20 is here to stay.

As for the relegation system i say to al furqaan that we will add two nations to the major league after the first season then start the relegation of bottom two from the next season.

Eg.Ban & Ire gets promoted first season.Then WI,Ire gets relegated the next season

or else you can think of a playoff system
Tier system without relegation & promotion is completely meaning less. That's the dilema of implementing it, since some permanent members will not accept it. Someday you might find Ind and Aus in 2nd tier. At least it's possible theoretically. That's the scary part for all. If WI can be what they are today, anything is possible.
Old August 10, 2010, 02:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I bet this tier system and crap is not the solution for test cricket's survival. Just play in good sporty pitches and play lest crap20. Organize more matches @ England, Aussies etc.

And just because someone feel 50 overs ODI is boring, ICC should shorten it to 40 overs? LMAO.

Middle overs (15-35) overs are crucial in the ODIs. You can't just shorten that part. That part is what tests the batsman's temperament, and playing an anchor innings.

Cricket ignorants can stick with T20s, no more 'improvements' to the existing formats, pretty please. They've already killed ODI & Tests by introducing crap20.