facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 10, 2007, 12:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Nafees is best suited to batting in the middle order, plain and simple.

His footwork will never be adequate for opening the batting against the best teams.

I've said time and again, he should eventually take over both Bashar's captaincy and his spot in the batting order.

Old April 10, 2007, 12:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
Nafees is best suited to batting in the middle order, plain and simple.

His footwork will never be adequate for opening the batting against the best teams.
Good to see one more person agrees with me. I said after the Bermuda match that BD team really needs a shuffle in the batting order- Mushfiq or Aftab should open the batting with Tamim and SN should be pushed up at #4 (or, at least, at #3). Unfortunately, our team management is too conservative to try something like that. Now it is too late, next few matches are too important for us, we don't have any scope to experiment with the batting order.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

haha none of our batsmen are good openers because they cannot play the new swing ball or the chest high bouncers too. So if everybody plays in the middle who opens - Mashrafee/Rafique/Razzak/Rasel are the options the rest are good middle and lower order batsmen.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:01 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
1. Golla must not play again. Starting from the England match. This is a realistic option and must happen for both short term and long term gain.

2. We can score 250 without any so called "solid" contribution from Golla. In the last match, we were never going to cross 200-220, only exceptional batting of Ash/Aftab/Mashrafee saved us.

3. Hablu should retire from ODIs after this World Cup. This is a realistic option and must happen for the greater good of our cricket.

(I never posted in any "sack Hablu" thread, but now I think we've had enough. Without Hablu in the ODI team, pathetic losers like Golla can never sneak into the team)
Spitty, Your thread has attracted my attention. Because of the poor form and lack of experience against big team, the team management has replaced SN by JO. Though the team won over SA, you are not happy with JO and demanding replacement of him. As SN is not in form, then I find only one option, "you can play instead of JO".
I found some peoples who have MANIA about JO. They cannot tolerate the name of JO. For me, I do not see any name, I prefer performance. Those who perform for my loving BD, I support them - either SN or JO or any other else.

The team managemet should not change the winning combination for rest of the matches of WC.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhj007
i hope u r right.

i don't wanna jo anymore.do you think jo's technique is better than nafees's?no way man.nafees may be technecally not better as aftab or ash,but he is still far better than jo.so,if he is also asked see off the first ten overs,he will be able to do so and then,he may carry the innings from ytheir and score a hundred.but jo will never do that,he will score 20-25 from 50-60 balls and will be out immediately.so,i want sn back.

in hablu's case,he should retire from odi's after the wc.or we may give him a series or two at max.but thats it.no more.
Junior
bhai.. ei 10 over e to shahriar nafees 10bar LBW hobe... shei to marte jai na.. just thekaite giyeiii to LBW hoi r catch diye dei....
Old April 10, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

What pains me most when any BD player is called a "loser"- even if it is JO!

Having said that, Nafees needed a break but he should be back now. If we play for a win than JO must sit out! South Africa win was possible because of Ash, Aftab, Mash, Tamim, Rasel and our spin trio. Not to mention some excellent fielding! At this moment we are carrying a buggage in the shape of Bashar. We can't afford two!

Nafees may get out cheaply but if he clicks then he can give us a launching pad and a realistic chance of posting a defendable total. While if JO plays, he will use up 60/70 bowls for a typical 20 something and get out cutting the ball to point's or gully's throat (or he will find many other ways)! Result will be a mediocre total. Bear in mind, not everyday your Ash or Aftab or Mash will click to crank up the run rate at the end of an innings! Also, the Barbados pitch will be more fast and bouncy than the last one.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahjamal
Spitty, Your thread has attracted my attention. Because of the poor form and lack of experience against big team, the team management has replaced SN by JO. Though the team won over SA, you are not happy with JO and demanding replacement of him. As SN is not in form, then I find only one option, "you can play instead of JO".
I found some peoples who have MANIA about JO. They cannot tolerate the name of JO. For me, I do not see any name, I prefer performance. Those who perform for my loving BD, I support them - either SN or JO or any other else.

The team managemet should not change the winning combination for rest of the matches of WC.
Hi fellow Norwegian friend, you cannot put JO and "performance" in the same sentence!:p
Old April 10, 2007, 01:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
the Barbados pitch will be more fast and bouncy than the last one.
Which makes it more important that we keep SN in the sideline and don't take the risk of losing wicket(s) in early overs. In WI, regardless of what stadium, you will always find the pacers (that's all England has, Panesar counts for nothing) lot easier to handle after first ten overs, there is just no point taking the risk of losing a wicket befor that.

Last edited by TheWatcher; April 10, 2007 at 01:32 PM..
Old April 10, 2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Point is who replaces JO & Hablu

JO - A moving snail is better than a dead tiger
Hablu - Nai Mamar cheye kana mama Bhao
- Bagh bagh-e....pocha shamuk-a pa katey ebong durghondho choray.
- Prochur mama achey BD-tey...kana mama'r proiojon nai.
-!!
Old April 10, 2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I completely agree with you on this point- bring him back and we are most likely to see the same old SN who generally gets out for a score below 20 (against top teams, not talking about matches against minnows), within first ten overs, and with a strike rate that's not much better than that of JO.
...me too!
Old April 10, 2007, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhj007
we may be the one and only team where we pray that one of our openers get out just after ten overs.incredible.then,you want jo to hit !!!next day,u will want hablu to take wickets.
Junior
Not praying, we should mandate that JO starts hitting as soon as we have crossed 10 overs. Play for the team, not the individual.

Not commenting on your second comment - I don't know how you equate the two things.

Anyway Junior, hope you grow up soon.

Lastly, I know where Spitty is coming from. But we probably would be served the best if the exact same team plays in next match. If we lose against ENG then JO can be replaced by FR and Rasel can be replaced by Razib for the Ireland match.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
But what you want to open with the key? Bashar's trouser? To see what? If he wears boxer or brief?
What's up with Miraz's fetish for buttons keys and zippers?? And all that only for Bashar???
Old April 10, 2007, 01:52 PM
First Class Cricketer

To solve the opening problem, Mashfiq should open with Tamim in this WC, and we can then use Reza as #7. But after the WC, Bashar should retire and be replaced by an allrounder, and Sadat needs to open with Tamim.
Old April 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
But what you want to open with the key? Bashar's trouser? To see what? If he wears boxer or brief?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
What's up with Miraz's fetish for buttons keys and zippers?? And all that only for Bashar???
হায়রে ভাই, কোথাকার পানি কোথায় গড়ায় ?
আমি বলতে চাইলাম কি আর মানুষ বুঝলো কি!
আসলে অন্যের বাটন, জিপার খোলা যাদের .......
কথায় আছেনা, যার মনে যা, ফাল দিয়া ওঠে তা :p
Old April 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Which makes it more important that we keep SN in the sideline and don't take the risk of losing wicket(s) in early overs..
So, you are saying JO is a better player of pace on a fast and bouncy pitch than SN??
Old April 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
haha none of our batsmen are good openers because they cannot play the new swing ball or the chest high bouncers too. So if everybody plays in the middle who opens - Mashrafee/Rafique/Razzak/Rasel are the options the rest are good middle and lower order batsmen.

Spot on, allrounder!
Old April 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
So, you are saying JO is a better player of pace on a fast and bouncy pitch than SN??
What I am saying is that JO is a better defender against pacers regardless of pitch condition.
Old April 10, 2007, 02:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
There's not much doubt in my mind that if Golla had stuck around a few more overs, the win would never have been possible. Ideally he'd bat till the 10th over and go off feigning injury.
Unbelieveable stuff. So much criticism on JO for playing the perfect role he was asked to play to win a match and defending who can't perform. SNs technique is good, what do you do with a technique who gets out in 2 overs? Is it the time to give match practice to SN?

All seem to be suffering from Hallo effect

Unless the pitch condition compels any change, team should be the same, without any hessitation. The SA killers !!!
Old April 10, 2007, 02:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Not only that, we didn't have the Ash/Aftab partnership or 70 runs in the last 7 overs in the plan either.
This a good enough example of your endlessly and rather irritatingly negative mindset. It's almost like you never expect anything good from the BD team. It's one thing to be critical and an entirely different think to play your broken old record of pessimism.

Having said that, Javed is not the answer, from a long-term point of view, towards having a stable opening partnership. Bashar needs to step down from the ODI team after the WC (maybe the India series is a more realistic target considering how things really work out there), and that is what I myself have said a few times already. So there's nothing to disagree with the essential idea in your post.
Old April 10, 2007, 02:52 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahir
This a good enough example of your endlessly and rather irritatingly negative mindset. It's almost like you never expect anything good from the BD team. It's one thing to be critical and an entirely different think to play your broken old record of pessimism.
Records and laws of probability supports my view.

Anyway, I don't think you can deny that our middle order/lower order did their best in that match. If the planning revolves around always expecting the best from middle order/lower order (no plan A, plan B), then the planning is not right. And our middle order is definitely not the #1 in the world.
Old April 10, 2007, 02:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Quote:
If the planning revolves around always expecting the best from middle order/lower order (no plan A, plan B), then the planning is not right. And our middle order is definitely not the #1 in the world.
Ofcourse our middle order isnt the best in the world. Not even top 3/4 if you ask me. But what we can easily believe in is the fact that it has the potential to produce, and when they do, I dont see why we have to call that over-achievement.

Any team in the world has it in their planning to have some part of their batting lineup click to post a defendable total if batting first, and to chase down a score if batting second. If things always went to the plan, then that team would have won every single match they play!
Old April 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Quote:
Records and laws of probability supports my view.
In that case, anything that was once bad, will never have the inspiration to do better in the future, since their past 'record' would indicate similar future outcome, regardless of any hint of development that may have taken place to make the future better.

It doesnt work that way Spitty.
Old April 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Starting with a crippled team is never a good idea
Branding a winning team "crippled" is even worse.
Old April 10, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Its too late to change the opening batsman.

But Javed Omar played a great part with a partnership with ashraful in that match where he got ash got 97 runs.
Old April 10, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Branding a winning team "crippled" is even worse.
A crippled team is always a crippled team regardless of the result. Best possible selection doesn't guarantee victory, and sometimes a weakened side may win the game.

And I'm only complaining about the consistent non-performers. We always see hundreds of threads after a victory where everybody agrees with everybody. In such days, pointing out the weakness of the team is more meaningful than bashing the team after a bad game where the result explains it all.