facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 27, 2005, 01:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Oh no!!! this can\'t be true!!!: \"Whatmore could throw his hat in for Indian coach’s post\"

Whatmore could throw his hat in for Indian coach’s post
(Cricket News)

9 January 2005

KOLKATA — It is learnt that Dave Whatmore, presently coaching Bangladesh, is keen to throw his hat in the ring to be India’s coach once the association of present coach John Wright ends in April next year.

New Zealander John Wright is certain to end his tenure as India’s coach after Pakistan’s tour of India is over in April. Pakistan is due to play three Tests and five one-dayers during their trip.

Wright, who has headed India for five years, contributed significantly towards India’s graph with commendable wins on home and foreign soil. But the performance of the team took a dip in 2004 and clamour has since grown for the removal of the affable New Zealander.

Apparently, an understanding has been reached with the board and Wright would severe his links with Indian team after the tour of Pakistan team.
Whatmore, who earlier was hailed for his role in Sri Lanka’s revival in mid-90s, has not had much to show for his effort in Bangladesh in the last couple of years but has earned worldwide respect as a coach.

Source: Khaleej Times

is there any possible this information is false?!!! I mean... i can't find any other report on this... what worries me even more is that Whatmore's contract ends this year... its renewable for 2 more yrs... but what will we do if he doesn't?!!!

Old January 27, 2005, 01:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

I think Wright was more suitable for India. The news of Whatmore as Indian coach was in air last month. I think McIness will make a good coach for BD if Whatmore decides to leave.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:15 AM
Test Cricketer

If they do want to snatch him from us, the least they could do is spell is name correctly.
Cricket Legend

so he really is interested in shifting to India?
Cricket Legend

I would rather have Whatmore stick with the BD team.

I think he can make far greater contribution to the BD cricket than to the Indian cricket. A guy like Wright is a perfect replacement for Mr. Wright himself.

We really really really don't want him. And maybe Whatmore is quite content with his current job and doesn't want it either. This whole thing is a mere speculation.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:20 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasib
KOLKATA — It is learnt that Dave Whatmore, presently coaching Bangladesh, is keen to throw his hat in the ring to be India’s coach once the association of present coach John Wright ends in April next year.
This is how "gujob" news agency works. Pure imagination at work.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Nasif,

The source is "Khaleej Times". It's NOT a Calcutta or Indian newspaper. It's a UAE newspaper, for god sake!!!
Old January 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Nasif,

The source is "Khaleej Times". It's NOT a Calcutta or Indian newspaper. It's a UAE newspaper, for god sake!!!
DJ:
I haven't remotely implied that India was behind this news. I just said it was a "gujob" (which means rumor). Thats all.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by cricketfan
I think Wright was more suitable for India. The news of Whatmore as Indian coach was in air last month. I think McIness will make a good coach for BD if Whatmore decides to leave.
hey still we are not thinking anything other than DW

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 6:30 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

whatmore gala jaibo ga. ata kandonar ki acha? arokhom coach koto ailo ar galo...tai boila amra ki boya roichi ni?
Old January 27, 2005, 02:19 AM
Test Cricketer

I think this is a real possibility. If India wants him, the deal will be done. If Indian coach leave in April then It is highly probable that India may go for Whatmore. It is India's choice right now.

I think we better look for new coach.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

if Dave leaves, i wont b surprised.

SHABBA!!

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 7:27 AM GMT, by AsifEminem.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:30 AM
Test Cricketer

If India wants him he will be gone!
Old January 27, 2005, 02:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I don't think that whatmore would like to leave Bangladesh for india... Whatmore is the type of coach who loves challenges... bangladesh team provides the perfect challenge for him... DW is the perfect coach for emerging teams... india needs a coach like wright, woolmer or buchanan!

Also, since BD is improving i would think that the board will try its best to keep whatmore and whatmore wouldn't mind it either... So no worries guys!

:fanf lag:
Old January 27, 2005, 02:35 AM
Banned

He's staying 'til 2007 WC. That is what he said, not too long ago.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:43 AM
Test Cricketer

I can bet if India wants him which I think they will, He is going. Bangladesh offered him nothing. Bangladesh is destroying his reputation that he earned with Srilanka.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:52 AM
BC Editorial Team

I'll go with Cricketfan and DJ here.

Wright was a good partner for Ganguly - one a quiet guy who was good tactician, did things systematically and stayed in the background; the other a gutsy, extroverted man. I suspect that Whatmore's personality may clash with Ganguly's.

[BTW, Ranatunga's personality was like Ganguly's. Wonder what role Whatmore played there].

Whoever takes over from Wright will have a *very* tough job. India has done outstandingly in tests in the last four years and it will be almost impossible to sustain this level.

Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain.
Old January 27, 2005, 02:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

If i was whatmore, i would rather coach Bangladesh and see them grow as a team than deal with the pressure of coaching a high profile team like India. I hope whatmore will feel he same way.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tintin
I'll go with Cricketfan and DJ here.

Whoever takes over from Wright will have a *very* tough job. India has done outstandingly in tests in the last four years and it will be almost impossible to sustain this level.

Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain.
I think India's performance dip is not because of Wright. It is the decline of Sachin Tendulkar's form. I looked at the pwc rating of both Sachin and Dravid. Sachin is steadily declining and Dravid is holding on close to his peek. Sachin is a player who peaked during Wright coaching era. He was a psychological threat to the opponents. This kinda dominance helped other Indian batsman to push them higher. As sachin is declining so is the standard. Dravid need to pick up the leadership now and set higher standard for young cricketers.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by habfreak
If i was whatmore, i would rather coach Bangladesh and see them grow as a team than deal with the pressure of coaching a high profile team like India. I hope whatmore will feel he same way.
I donot think Whatmore is afraid of challenge like that. I think he is drooling on that opportunity that his team (India) will compete with mighty Australia and can probably win.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by shujan
I can bet if India wants him which I think they will, He is going. Bangladesh offered him nothing. Bangladesh is destroying his reputation that he earned with Srilanka.
.. maan! u r in huge PANIC! :P

Relax!
Just a few of my observations against this news:

#If Whatmore wants to leave, he will not be playing any hide and seek. And according to Whatmore himself.. he is currently only looking at taking BD to the 2007 WC.

#As I have seen, Whatmore is the kind of coach who likes challenges... and where else can he really find it than BD? Taking the challenge of putting BD to a higher level of cricket is the 'Most challenging' job in the market now.. I don't think he will miss out on that! and as our fellow frnd DJ mentioned here: "Coaching Bangladesh on the other hand is a job where there is little to lose and lot to gain."... fully agree! (And I am surely hopefull that he will succeed!)

#Finally, if whatmore leaves BD at this point.. it will only be taken as a 'Failure' assignment in his career.. no matter how much anyone wants to put the whole blame on BD alone! I don't think Whatmore will try to leave this team.. untill he puts BD to a fair level... atleast for the sake of his own reputation!

The rest is on Dav himself... but I am not worried!

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 8:24 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Edited on, January 27, 2005, 8:22 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:28 AM
Cricket Legend

I think it will be irresponsible for Whatmore to leave, simple as that. He came to Bangladesh as coach to take up a challenge, and surely, he knew from the outset that it would take more than two years to turn this side around. His contract really is for four years, but they always put in the two years and then renewable for a further two to give both sides some leeway, in case the coach doesn't really get on with the players/board/both etc etc. But since we know of no such problems, for Whatmore to give up on this assignment mid-way would be a cop out on his part, and I don't think Whatmore is known for that! He came here knowing that it would be a tough assignment and it is only fair that he gives it a fair shot, and I think even he would admit that leaving after two years wont constitute a fair shot!
Old January 27, 2005, 03:37 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

It's probably only a fake news..
Its un-necessary to accuse whatmore of 'irresponsibility' rightaway and start criticizing...

Besides.. even if Whatmore decides to leave... It's useless to Panic!.. Sooner or later he has to leave.. we better make our own plans for the long-term-improvement of our own cricket. There r other factors involved than 'whatmroe' himself.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh I was not accusing Whatmore of irresponsibility. What I was trying to say is, it would be a cop out and Whatmore is not known for that, ie he is very unlikely to go!