facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2006, 11:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

No prblem, Vlad

Old January 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cafe_coffee_day
Mmm, sounds good, are there any Bangladeshi specific restaurants around the Atlanta area ?, would love to visit sometime !
Check out "Tajmaha" (770 496 0073) on Jimmy Carter Blvd. This is the only authentic Bangladeshi restaurant in Atlanta that I know of. There are several other Bangladeshis owned and operated places, but, as far as I know, those only serve generic north indian or mughlai type cuisine.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

So why we are still calling our (bangladeshi) restaurants as indian restaurants?? Is it like that- if we call those as indian then we can attract more customer or ther is something related to our freedom?

I dont know what people think but to me we are a free nation, its true but we could not make ourselves free entirely. Can we think freely today? We cannot because we cannot get ourselves out from the domination of others. For example we speak in hindi(dont u believe? go to a posh area in dhaka then u will see ), we sing hindi. We dont practice bangla , we practice english (though its essential now a daz but why learning english leaving bangla aside?) You got to learn ur mother language first then anything else. I am saying it because now a days people started to hate bangla!! What a shame.

Its been quite a long time since we got our independence, we are a free nation today. We speak our language, still our food is called indian. its happening because we cant think freely, we become proud when we say 'I am British', we dont become proud being a Bangladeshi, otherwise we would call our trade as Bangladeshi not Indian.

I know lot of people who came from bangladesh few years ago and now they started to call them as british, they started to forget their identity. And they are proud of doing like this.Shame....

Those are my personal experiences not a guess.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sherlockhomes
. For example we speak in hindi(dont u believe? go to a posh area in dhaka then u will see ),
Naah, its just some kids using Bollywood expressions, but hardly any Bangla speaker has started speaking in Hindi in Dhaka. Dhaka does have some Urdu speakers who have spoken urdu/hindi for the past hundred years.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I didn't read every single post in this thread but i am sure most of the 'issues" you bring up were probably answered...

Point 1 : - Indian restaurants can be owned by anyone - not just Indians.
- they are called Indian restaurants because they serve Indian food, Not exclusively Bangladeshi food

Point 2 :- It is OK to speak in a foreign language. That's the fad. It's a talent to speak in multiple languages, NOT lost of identity
- It is OK to speak in English. It's not like they don't knwo Bangla...

Point 3 : Music is a language in itself. It is universal. Hindi music is damn good, moreover the language is somewhat romantic.

Here is something:
Your nationality: Bangladeshi
Your broad race: Indian (now if you want, you can get all creative with all the mixture and everything) but the term Indian doesn't necessarily mean people from current India only.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is something to clear it up a bit: You can be Irish and White. So you can also be Bangladeshi and Indian. Ofcorse there will be certain facial trait that can help you to identify whether you are Irish white or American white or whatever. And I think the same can be said for pak, india, bd, sl etc ppl..
Old February 1, 2006, 01:39 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Irish and white and Bangladeshi and Indian are not the same thing.. white is a race, Indian is not; it's a nationality (unless you're talking about the native Americans).. We call ourselves Bangladeshi and Asian, or perhaps Asian Indian sub-continental to be precise about our 'origin'.. while people of the far-east may be called Asian Oriental.. that's how I see it.
Old February 1, 2006, 08:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Indian in broader sense people inhabiting the Indian subcontinent.
Since we like to be exclusive and Indian generally now means people from India, we like to get all touchy and defensive about it.....But to outside world...

all of us are simply Indians and it's not due to "ignorance".

what did we call our ancestors before all the division?

Our division are more of religious and political than genetics.
Old February 1, 2006, 08:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Also, I think historically (movement of ppl), we are more closely related to Sri Lankan... hence we tend to be a bit darker. I have to ck this out more in details...

Recently, a professor was telling me this (everything went through one ear and came out of the other) - and his source is his collegue - Indian anthropologist and some book

Does anyone know what I am talking about..? You can educate us
Old February 1, 2006, 11:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Yes, that's what we learned last term. The darker people's are Dravidians which are the original Indians infact, the ligher ones were the invaders, and the Invaders pushed most of the original inhabitans to the south, and east. That is why the caste system was set up, (1300 B.C. I think???) to keep the invaders and indians separate, to keep the power concentrated in the hands of the invaders.

And you are right, most non subcontinental people in the world view all inhabitants as Indians. It is a reference to race actually. And the reson native indians are also called indians, because columbus thought he was in India, so he called them Indians, dummie was way WAY off. so now the distinction of Native Indian, versus Indian. So technicially it is a references to race. However, Politics, and the Muslim league, changed the term to one meaning Hindu to Muslims, but it doesn't actually mean that, it means Indian still to most of the world. Further, the true real Indians, IRONICALLY, lol, are the darker skinned Bangladeshis and Tamils, so mostly the Muslims, really.....

Isn't that all topsy turvy crazy...............hehe, but true!

Edited on, February 2, 2006, 4:22 AM GMT, by VladMamu.
Old February 1, 2006, 11:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Hey vlad thank you very much for that post. Really! It's ironic that I am learning about our history from a white guy

But your post is in line with what the professor was saying. He went much indepth though and i just nodded...
Old February 1, 2006, 11:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
Hey vlad thank you very much for that post. Really! It's ironic that I am learning about our history from a white guy

But your post is in line with what the professor was saying. He went much indepth though and i just nodded...
Life is full of ironies !! Hey does that mean you are taking Indian history than?
Old February 2, 2006, 03:42 AM
Cricket Legend

No I am not taking Indian history. I once signed up for Hinduism though but had to drop it after two classes when i heard mean stuff about the professor.. chickened out.... actually it is because of that guy I couldn't take certain courses that I wanted....

and the professor I am talking about is a bio-chem professor who also happened to be a relative of mine... talks a lot - actually too much to tolerate but knows a lot nonetheless.
Old February 14, 2006, 10:05 PM
Test Cricketer

my home district is comilla. but i do have sylheti blood because my grand mother is from sylhet. i have alot of relatives from sylhet. but i am gonna be honest saying I DONT LIKE TYPICAL ......
[Removed]

i lived in america almost all my life, but i love where i came from. i went to alot of place in bangladesh. chitagong koxbazar sylhet feni. people talk differently from in general all of the districts people are very similar. i never seen any district people as being different. because to me it doesnt matter which district your from what matters is that we are from the same country. but as growing up i realized that a majority of sylhetis dont see it that way.
[Removed]

Warning: Content removed due to violation of forum rule A.1.4. Personal hatred toward anyone/any group will not be tolerated.

Admin
BanglaCricket.com

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 5:17 AM GMT, by Nasif.
Old February 14, 2006, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Actually the Governor General of Canada is a black woman. Her predecessor was Chinese. Even the health Minister of Canada in the last Liberal Govt. was an Indian dude from Vlad's area. I'm not sure about becoming the premier of the state, but the minorities in Canada are indeed making a headway in the political scene. I'm not sure if I can say the same about the US though.
and i remember watching this indian dude speaking in parliament once...actually Canada does have quite a few representatives in parliament that are of Indian origin as well.

the funniest part about Canadian politics is that people dont give a shoot about who gets elected, and of the 30 odd percent of the people that actually vote, most of them go for whoever their parents vote(d), and their parents go for whoever THEIR parents vote(d). the election's the biggest joke here, imo.
Old February 14, 2006, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
Man I love sylheti people. They are good looking people, they got money and they are religious.....

Above all they are very hospitable....

I wanna sylheti girl but competition is too intense :embaressed:
Agree with you, but finding a good Sylheti who is also intelligent can be difficult.

I'm lucky, my wife is half Sylheti...
Old February 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
Test Cricketer

there are good looking people in every district. i know a lot of not so good looking sylheti people around.
Old February 15, 2006, 03:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

To all Bangladeshi brothers. i was born and raised in syl. i left BD when i was 17. my parents are both Sylhety. i love my city. but i hate most of the sylhety mentalities. it's true some syl people don't like people from other districts. i don't know why. but all i could say is these people are psycho. they think they are superior then people from other regions. i can't tell you how much i hate those people. but fortunately these sort of attitudes are changing. younger people are less likely to contain this kind of mentality. the only reason why Syl people own so many restaurents is most of them are not qualified to do anything better. most of them are uneducated. even i would call some of them uncultured. they have no manners. they do not value education and have no respect for educated people. all they know is odd jobs and "foisa". trust me, the worst people in UK who spoil BD's name are sylhetyes. a huge number of Syl kids are drug addicts and some are dealers and involved in other crimes(UK). 85% of the 1st generation Sylhetyes in the UK were kasra people. (kasra- syl word, means uncultured, oshobbho typer). most of their descendents are kasra as well. eventhough most Syl people spoil BD's name, there are a lot of highly qualified Syl people working in prestigious positins in UK and USA. in UK probably their percentage is only 15% in Syl community. but in the US the percentage is quite large, like more then 50%.
having said all these, i would like to remind our economy's more then 80% depends on Sylhet and Chitagong. beleve it or not. but that does not give any1 the right to neglect people from other regions. finally i would like to say, plz don't generalize all Syl people based on some kasra restaurent owners or whatever. thank you.
Old February 15, 2006, 04:51 PM
First Class Cricketer

to Shaoun, brother you have said some right things about sylheties. but some of the statements you made are not even close to reality. i have no intention to offend you. i myself hate those typical Sylheties. you divided the sylhety population by 20% and 80%. that's not true if you are talking about sylheties from every where BD, ENG, USA. i assume u have not been to sylhet in recent past. that's why you are making some baseless statements. now i am talking about Syl people from BD only. it's true even 10 years ago syl people did not value education. but now it's rapidly changing. i would insist you to visit sylhet now. and if you visit 5 years from now your conception about syl people will dramatically change. you will probably find sylhet as the most educated division in Bangladesh. the fact is they have money. they did not invest it in good ways before. but now they are. i know atleast 50 to 60 people of my age in syl. and i don know any1 who has dropped out of University or even thought of dropping out. people of my age in syl are really serious about their education. and i would insist you once again to visit syl. if not possible now visit later. probably 4 or 5 yeras later. that would be even better. and please do not draw your concluesion without looking at the whole picture. and i think 40% sylheties are open minded these days. parents are spending lots of money for their kids' education, no matter if it's a girl or a boy.
and whatever you said about Londoni Syl, i don disagree with u even a lil bit. but about syl people from here your conception is not quite right. most of the people of my age i know here are either graduate or finishing up with their bach degree. some are getting their MS, CPA or whatever. even if i look at my famy. two of my cousines are doctors. one has a PHD on accounting. she teaches at Mon mouth Uni in NJ.
and my another cousine just got in to a law school.
and one other thing i would like to say. u should not have said that syl people should make their own country. that really made me think u r biased for some reason. i beleve 99% syl form Syl division would consider themselves bangladeshi first then syl. however most are very proud of their native identity. cuz they think syl is contributing more to BD economy then any other divisions. and it's true to some extenet. we should all know this.
but every1 has to admit, in one way syl people are much better then people from other divisions. they might b religious but they are very tolerant and liberal about other religions. i still remeber, when babri masjid was broken in India muslims all over BD except syl were offending and hurting hindu people. not a single incident like that happend in syl. there has alz been religious harmony in syl. and we r proud of it. thank u.
i am expecting your reply bro. if you wanna talk to me personally, here is my e-mail add- mbcb80@hotmail.com.
Old February 15, 2006, 05:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Coffee mia boroyee shockto shuta lagayee laa-patta

haire... Ei shuta neye akono manush tana tani korche ... shuta to ar chirey na.
Old February 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by shaoun
my home district is comilla...
You are nothing but a fake; again like other idiots you are judging a majority of people just because you know a few of them.

I know this guy who comes from your region, he is nothing but a snob and think only for himself, and when people ask where does he come from ? he replies " I come from Italy"

1. People from Comilla are Snobs
2. People from Comilla are Selfish
3. People from Comilla are ashamed of being Bangalis
“Maybe it's you guys who should get the **** out of Bangladesh since you are so ashamed"

This is what i should think of people from Comilla if i were you “thank Allah i'm not”

“Sylhetis don't have any College Degree”
For someone that is saying that Sylhetis don't know about what is going on outside you are part of them

My Brother in Law is a Lawyer, My “khalu” is a Doctor his brother is an engineer in case you don't know it takes more than a College Degree to become a Doctor or a Lawyer.
Both of my cousins got a Scholarship, one in England and the other one in America.
I myself am planning to become a Pilot.

When a first saw Banglacricket.com i never thought i would find such people "if we can call you that"
"People" like you bring a bad image to our beloved Country.

“People” like you should try to make their own country and get the **** out of Bangladesh.

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 12:51 AM GMT, by desi_pride.

Edited on, February 17, 2006, 5:22 AM GMT, by Nasif.
Reason: Content
Old February 15, 2006, 06:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal

I hope they are black enough for you.
i'm sorry for going back to an old post but i found that absolutely hilarious, almost had a tear in my eye.
Old February 15, 2006, 07:43 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't know what's the problem with people in here, some find Sylhetis offensive, others can't even stand the name of Pakistanis/Indians etc.

From a personal point of view, I have met really nice Sylheti, Pakistani, Indian, Jewish, White, Black and all sorts of people from various nationalities, ethnicities and background. While I have also come across a not so friendly bunch among them.

We should not generalize or stereotype, there are good and bad persons among every group. Just judge people individually, it's not that hard...
Old February 15, 2006, 08:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

It's because "some" people are racist they hate others because of their nationality, their religion or THEIR REGION.
It is the fact why we Desi's are so week, it starts with religion " Muslims, Hindus" then comes the country " Bangladesh, Pakistan, India..." then REGION " Sylhet, Comilla" it never ends.

"Just judge people individually, it's not that hard... "
" For somes it is the most Hardest thing in their whole live"
we will not mention any names

Edited on, February 16, 2006, 1:00 AM GMT, by desi_pride.
Old February 15, 2006, 10:49 PM
Cricket Legend

let me say somethign honestly.

I have nothing against SYlhetis or any other bangali.

However, i hae encountered many sylhetis with a superiority complex, yet i have hardly met any non-sylheti who claims people of his/her district are best.

This is true for personal experiences as well as experiences of close friends/family members.

Even on this we saw sylhetis claiming "only sylhetis can run restaurants", or "because of sylhetis other bengalis are able to get jobs" and "a sylheti will never work under a non-sylheti bangali".

How many times before that did you see a guy from Comilla or Chittagong claim that here?

What happened in this board reflects closely my real life experiences.
Old February 15, 2006, 11:23 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

For now this thread is closed.
Closed Thread