facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 30, 2002, 10:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Random Thoughts: 1

I was thinking about what Bangladesh needs right now to get out of this demoralizing state of affairs.

I thought of miracles in individual doses. Some individual prodigy will come and rescue us. Like Tendulkar, or Muralitharran. But then I wondered if that's the best way how our team should be salvaged. Would it be better to have a cohesive unit of young players each playing to a reasonable potential and contributing unitedly, like the SA?

[Edited on 30-7-2002 by Arnab]

Old July 30, 2002, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

More likely the SL or IND way. SA has world's best cricket system along with AUS. Reaching that level at local cricket...never will happen for BD. We will probably have the one man show like the rest of the sub-continent.
Old July 30, 2002, 10:59 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Saw some stats and did some calculations

Saw some stats and did some calculations over the last few test matches that we have played.

So far, I have considered the following five:

1) Bulbul
2) Akram
3) Durjoy
4) Sumon
5) Rokon

Akram and Durjoy has contributed to our big scoring, but only in a combination - together, contributing with 20 to 40 runs individually. And thus, both of them had taken 2 important positions in our test elevens, which did not work ultimately.

Bulbul, Rokon and Sumon had scored or had been in form and have contributed to scoring big innings by Bangladesh.

The only time that Rokon and Sumon's contribution was not there yet Bangladesh had scored a big total was vs SL in Asian test championship when Ashraful scored the century, but Durjoy was there to contribute as well.

Yet, I don't think that Bangladesh can score a big total in this 2nd innings even though Ashraful is there because the other times that Bangladesh had scored a big total and Ashraful was there at the crease, it was the other batsman who contributed hugely and guided Ashraful, this time Ashraful is the main man. Does he has it in him to lead the whole Bangladeshi batting line up even though 4 of them are out? I don't think so.

In fact, I think that Ashraful will get out the first ball he faces tomorrow or he will get out without adding anything on the total in his name.

And our allrounders will have to come to the rescue again.

So, I think Bangladesh will score at best 180 - the average second innings total this time.

Old July 30, 2002, 11:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Default re : Random Thoughts

I think there is no question that we are not worthy of test status.

What we need to is fast track our development of youngsters, continue to bring in coaches, arrange more U-19 and 'A' tours, and concentrate on the 4-day league.

Unfortunately it is evident that barring some once in a blue moon performances, we dont have the batting strength to last more than 3 sessions, at best.

What is more unfortunate is that thanks to ICCs 10 year plan (I'm sure they meant well) , we will be playing a lot of tests, which means a lot more humiliating defeats than what we need.

Changing coach after coach is not the answer. Our players are at fault here, and the coach can do very little. Think of how Tushar Imran got out with 5 overs to go (and that has been the trademark of our batsman) - I'm sure none of our coaches taught him to do that.

I just wish we could suspend all our test tours until further notice !!
Old July 30, 2002, 12:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default how about...

we have a batting coach and a bowling coach and a fielding coach?...like how here in North america you have an offense coach and a defense coach...

one major drawback: too expensive
Old July 30, 2002, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Those batsmen knows how to bat. They have the skill. Its their mind thats blocking them.

We need a team psychiatrist. Someone to brain wash them, "I can Do it, I am the best, I will be the terror to all bowlers"...things like these.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:46 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Didn\'t they try that!!

I thought the whole purpose of staying at the Sheraton hotel before the tour was to raise their morale and confidence level. At least that's what the Kamal and the BCB had in mind.

But I guess a team psychiatrist is in order if all else fails. Would put more thought to the punishment/reward system that Tehsin bhai had mentioned earlier.

Old July 30, 2002, 01:37 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Team shrink and Fwullah

I attribute our World Cup and India test performance to the few days the boys got to spend with a shrink. Most of you probably remember the period.

I was hoping BCB would get smart once again and apply the same technique.

So, Fwullah, can you please write another email to dailystar on our behalf and ask them to post your mail (regarding employing a shrink, hopefully the same one they used in 99) on their paper ? Thanks a bunch.