facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old May 23, 2006, 11:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Why Brazil ... so Good?

For years I could not understand why Brazil keeps producing these great footballers who dominate the world. Why not Uruguay (history), China-India (population), Russia (toughest conditions living) or England, France with all the technology on their side??

Following article gives as a great insight to the question why Brazil??
I would cut and paste few lines from there.

Brazil. That single word has come to sum up the very best of football.
It stands for artistry, inspiration and genius, for the combination of sublime individual skill and collective fluidity to create a whole that is both beautiful to watch and devastatingly successful...

The story of Brazil's domination of world football starts with the sport's uniquely important position in national life...

1994 Captain Leonardo says..

"In the 1930s, we started to organise a team to be competitive in the World Cup, and the 1950s were the beginning of this big dream to make Brazil the best international team in the world," he added.
Losing the final to Uruguay in 1950 was viewed as a national tragedy, but it only heightened the desire to win. And it led to a little-known aspect of Brazilian football. Believing they had let themselves down through personal weakness and a lack of research, the national side came to see comprehensive preparation and innovative tactics as crucial to success...

Having an entire nation obsessed with football and, by extension, winning the World Cup, has developed a degree of self-fulfilment.

Brazil is a big country - 183m people - and that is a lot of potential footballers, especially when, as Parreira says, "the whole of Brazil" is playing the game.
But for some in Brazil football is more than just a game.
It is, says journalist Lito Cavalcanti, a "life solution".
Many of Brazil's greatest footballers grew up in favelas - the shanty towns in its sprawling cities. Here, life is hard, and football offers an escape from the crippling poverty. "It's the only way out of misery," says Cavalcanti. "The lower classes have no effective schooling. They live in favelas where drug dealers control their lives. Sport is the only way out, and in Brazil football is the only sport people care about.

This is the part like the most:

In Brazil children learn football in a very different way from their European counterparts.
There are no leagues or competitive matches for young children - such a concept is seen as likely to hinder a player's creative impulses.
"The children play a lot but it's always very free," says Leonardo.
"We don't tell eight-year-olds you have to play right-back."
Parreira agrees: "We don't put them in a cage, say 'you have to be like this'. We give them some freedom until they are ready to be coached." And that sense of creativity is never lost.
"In Europe if you are dancing in the team bus before a World Cup final match it would be viewed as not concentrating," says Leonardo.

"But in Brazil if you are not speaking and laughing on the bus that is seen as being afraid.
"It is a different mentality. The idea of the system and the collective is different. The system is more important in Europe than it is in Brazil, even if we know it is important."
Brazil's success, though, stems from more than talent and the freedom to express it - behind Ronaldinho's gleaming smile lies hours of hard work.
"The English academy system is one where players are training for just four hours a week," says Brazilian football expert Simon Clifford. "Compare that to Ronaldinho when he was a 16-year-old with Gremio, where he would have been training for up to 20 hours a week. "

All in all an excellent read.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...il/4751387.stm

Old May 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Interesting article.

Unfortunately, for BD it won't work. We too have lot of bostis, but we won't reach the WC ever
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old June 4, 2006, 10:31 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

It's clear WHY. The report says football is the only sport they care about (FALSE - look up olympics and how many other sports Brazil has a medal in. Plus, I had A - yes, thats just one and this person was also a women, but I'll use her as an example - Brazilian friend and she didn't care much for soccer) while Bangladesh has more then one. Every kid in Bangladesh faces the dillema of choosing between Football and Daanda-Gulli (police chachar Daanda aar 'boro' bhai der 'gulli'), and between the two of them, daanda-gulli IS the 'life-solution'. Hence, we are not quite as strong as Brazil, or Argentina, or BURMA/MYANMAR (we lose to them by 4-0).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Interesting article.

Unfortunately, for BD it won't work. We too have lot of bostis, but we won't reach the WC ever
Old June 5, 2006, 03:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

hey look at the bright side ...
Brazil will never get to play Cricket World Cup...
while we r already playing that... ha ha

the glass is always half full
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 6, 2006, 05:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Why Brazil ... so Good?

I guess beacuse other teams are so bad.
Old June 6, 2006, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

i guess its a combination of different factors. even though they are economically under developed, they do have soccer schools and inspired from previous generations. physique also plays a important part, thats why south asia dont produce good soccer players even though these countries are more poor than brazil. notice though ronaldo, ronaldinho etc. comes out of so called "poverty" they are quite well built, not like rahim, karim of bangladesh.
Old June 6, 2006, 07:07 PM
Retired BC Admin

A similar collective mentality is in the making for us, towards cricket. Poverty, corruption and all those bad things always have a slow and silent unifying effect on the public in general. Cricket provides a perfect route for escape; escape from the daily dosage of pain. Slowly but surely, people unite for that escape.
Old June 6, 2006, 09:00 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Football is pretty much lifestyle for Brazillian kids, they love this sport with passion and enthusiasm. I wish the same could be said about Bangladesh someday, whatever the sport; preferably cricket. There are differences however, with football you just need a ball and you're set to go wherever you can find space, do tricks on your own or play with 10 buddies. Cricket on the other hand is more complex and demanding, in my opinion anyway.
Old June 7, 2006, 10:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Interesting article.

ya we produce so many street cricketers just like brazil produced street ballers like pele....

dunno why our street cricketers dont follow the footsteps of brazilian street footballers..

well every country has its specialty...ours is corruption....we can surely dominate top ten most corrupted countries if not the fifa or icc ranks..
Old June 7, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I guess the answer is passion. The amount of passion they have for the game is simply amazing. They live, eat and sleep football. If a generation is like that, they are bound to be good. We love cricket but not quite to that extent yet.
Old June 7, 2006, 04:29 PM
Cricket Legend

bangladesh did have lot of passion for soccer if u go 10-15 years back and there were lot of street footballers as well. but it never was even a top asian football country. the secret is "physique" and "soccer schools". thats why iran, iraq even small qatar always had better teams than bangladesh. it is good to have passion but one has to channel it in the right way.
Old June 7, 2006, 06:59 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I'll read the article when I get a chance, but without reading it, my one word answer to the equestion: culture.