facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 16, 2008, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Some are, some arent, but its the approach to malpractices that makes the Gulf stand out. The journalist who reported on the whippings was arrested and later released. He was detained for "bringing Qatar into disrepute", in other words journalists should pretend all is well and refrain from reporting bad things...

Old October 16, 2008, 11:50 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I've lived in the middle east for 14 years.. (UAE) .. I was born there and my dad worked there for 23 odd years.. He spent more time there than in his own country Bangladesh.. He did varsity in Bdesh and then left for the UAE..

We lived there while my father worked his behind off only to be passed up for promotion after promotion.. We got all the perks: house rent, tickets etc.. but the prejudice apprent there is incredible.. I moved to NZ and only then did I fully understand how prejudiced Arabs are over there (the filthy rich ones).. Classic example: One of my dad's good patients just happened to be a policeman patrolling one of the mall carparks.. An Arab guy behind our car started honking as my dad pulled in in front of him (it was our right of way).. and then the guy consequently called to the policeman to give a 'jhari' to my dad.. Police dude didn't know it was my dad and was storming upto our car to give us a yell! Then he saw it was my dad and he exchanged friendlies.. Moral fo the story?: The Middle East is about who you know and how to use people to get there.. Arabs tend to know many people and have infinite connections.. This leads to their heads being full of hot air .. which leads to a prejudice.. I mean why wouldn't they? They're smart.. They have oil yet not many educated, skilled adults.. Arab sheikh: "Why not pay expats double the money, less tax and get them to work for us.. But oh yeah.. We would still own you and not give you any citizenship, rights etc.. Just coz we can.. and also hurl abuse at you.. If you don't like it, then leave.."
Old October 17, 2008, 03:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jga
The Middle East is about who you know and how to use people to get there.. Arabs tend to know many people and have infinite connections..
That applies to most parts of the world, however, in tribal societies (particularly in middle east), its taken as granted that a person will get jobs based on their tribe/family, or that the courts will favor the richer/more influential person.

Its a defect in the system more than a defect in the people.....
Old October 17, 2008, 03:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
That applies to most parts of the world, however, in tribal societies (particularly in middle east), its taken as granted that a person will get jobs based on their tribe/family, or that the courts will favor the richer/more influential person.

Its a defect in the system more than a defect in the people.....
Noted. But it's the local people's attitudes (both Arab and otherwise) that has a) led to a defective system and b) upheld and supported a defective system. The unquestioned support that the UAE got from us immigrants in return for the big money has led to it. And don't get me wrong, I am VERY grateful to Sheikh Zayed (Snr) for giving so many outsiders the opportunities which would later pave the way for all the other gulf countries.

As for other parts of the world having such systems, very true but again; you, living in the UAE, would know as to how "open" prejudice is in the UAE though. We used to get daily taunts from Arabs while even going shopping! Or at school even. And the UAE's much better off (racism-wise) than other gulf countries too. At least that's what I've heard.
Old October 17, 2008, 03:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Hahaha.. Abar o onek hashi ashlo..

ar ektu jore jore heshe nei...

Oh sh*t. Forgot about this thread completely. I liked that that thread. Thanks for reminding me

And you are right about me bening mentally handicapped. But I'm proud of it.
Thank God you admit it. Just in case you didn't know, laughing too much when its not funny is a common trait of cyber trolls.