facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 1, 2005, 07:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default Six to watch in 2005

Mohammad Ashraful

Mohammad Ashraful was only 17 years and 63 days old when he became Test cricket's youngest century maker against Sri Lanka in September 2001.

His progress since then has been uneven, due in large part to playing for a Bangladesh team which has struggled in vain to break a losing habit.

But Ashraful recently reminded everyone of his potential with a superb unbeaten 158 against India and he is his country's best hope of making any kind of impact on their first tour to England.

"We were all privileged to see his innings. It's nice to know there is somebody in the group who is capable of those things," said coach Dav Whatmore.

Other five]

Old January 1, 2005, 07:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Ashraful poised to reap his potential
By Oliver Brett

Mohammad Ashraful has a phenomenal talent for the game

More than three years have passed since a young lad just past his 17th birthday took on a top Sri Lankan side in Colombo in his debut Test match to devastating effect.

He scored a brilliant century, dancing down the track on numerous occasions to the spinners, who included the celebrated Muttiah Muralitharan.

It barely needs to be said that the innings was in a losing cause, because the batsman in question was a Bangladeshi.

But the name Mohammad Ashraful had registered firmly in the conscience of cricket observers.

Finally, 22 Test matches later, he has his second century with his 158 not out against India in Chittagong, an innings described by opposing captain Sourav Ganguly as "one of the best Test knocks I've seen".

In the process, Ashraful registered the highest score ever by a Bangladeshi in Tests.

Clearly, he was not mature in 2001 but he was good, of that there was no doubt.

And it now seems remarkable that he was temporarily out of the side in 2003 early in Dav Whatmore's reign as coach.

Whatmore could argue that his decision has been justified, that after his period on the sidelines Ashraful has returned as a more mature individual.

But when he did drop the wiry little right-hander, he obviously was not thinking of the words of one of his predecessors as coach, Trevor Chappell.

Sachin suggested that I should not curb my natural game

Mohammad Ashraful

"His determination, commitment and attention to detail would put a mature and an established person to shame," said the hard-nosed Australian after Ashraful's Colombo century.

"The manner he concentrates on his batting made me believe that the lad is destined to have a long cricketing journey."

He still could have a fine career in the game, and surely now he will be told not to worry about his place in the side.

Clearly, he is dedicated to the game, even if there have been times when, in common with many other Bangladesh batsmen, he has needlessly thrown away his wicket.

The Ashraful dedication was first apparent in the youth World Cup in 2000.

The youngster was laughed at by some of the local scorers after he told them he did not know what he would do if he failed to make the grade as a cricketer.

But Ashraful was made of stern stuff and the insults made him only more determined.

It appears that he has picked up a tip from Sachin Tendulkar, which ironically may mean he continues to frustrate on occasion.

Academy:
The basics of batting

"Sachin suggested that I should not curb my natural game and always play positive," said Ashraful, who is about the same height as Tendulkar, although far slighter of build.

The next opposition on the table for his team are Zimbabwe, whose bowlers presently provide rather less penetration than India's.

After his 158 not out on Sunday, he said in a statement that revealed his confidence is not in short supply: "Another century may come in the first innings of the next Test because I am mature enough now."

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar, for long the leading light in his team's notoriously fragile batting order, now concedes Ashraful is the team's best batsman.

That's not a bad accolade for a kid who was first picked for his country as an extra spin bowler.

Source: BBC
Old January 1, 2005, 08:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Hildreth, who got a mention on that list, also made some good runs against the Bangladesh U19s, playing for the England U19s.

Ian Whitchurch
Old January 1, 2005, 01:23 PM
Club Cricketer

ravi shahtri made one comment about ashraful in recent BD-ind series. ASh is the most talented 20 year player in the world cricket right now.
Old January 3, 2005, 01:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

"After his 158 not out on Sunday, he said in a statement that revealed his confidence is not in short supply: "Another century may come in the first innings of the next Test because I am mature enough now." "

B r a v o!

Always liked Ash. I think, Kapali also has the capability to do something special- something great, like Ashraful, with his bat.
Old January 3, 2005, 02:30 PM
Cricket Sage

I would add one more player in the watch list and its S. Butt of Pakistan.