facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 2, 2011, 04:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut
Default Superstars you'd rather not have in your team!

Feeling somewhat surprised at Chris Gayle's dismissive comments on the Ashes, I reaffirmed Gayle's place in my list of superstar cricketers who would never be in any team I pick. For a superstar to be humble and modest in spite of the all stardom ranks highly in my books. Here's my list of superstars who I will always do without:

Australia: Ricky Ponting
England: Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann
India: Harbhajan Singh
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori, Brendon McCullum
Pakistan: Most of the them (barring a very few) and Inzamam-ul-Haq (must be mentioned)
West Indies: Chris Gayle, Kemar Roach

Please share, if you have any grudges with anyone!

Old January 2, 2011, 05:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I dnt know whether they are superstars or not, but i would not include following cricketers in my team regardless of their form or stats:

Bangladesh: Ashraful

India: Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina, Srishanth, Harbajan, Sehwag

Pakistan: Akmal brothers, Shoaib Malik

Sri Lanka: Sangakara

New Zealand: Brendon McCullum

South Africa: Andre Nel

England: Trott, Pietersen

West Indies: Gayle

Zimbabwe:
-
Old January 2, 2011, 07:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
I dnt know whether they are superstars or not, but i would not include following cricketers in my team regardless of their form or stats:

Bangladesh: Ashraful

India: Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina, Srishanth, Harbajan, Sehwag

Pakistan: Akmal brothers, Shoaib Malik

Sri Lanka: Sangakara

New Zealand: Brendon McCullum

South Africa: Andre Nel

England: Trott, Pietersen

West Indies: Gayle

Zimbabwe:
-
wow....thats interesteing. You mean you would rather have Asif in your side than Dhoni? Or say Shoaib Akhtar than Yuvraj Singh?
Old January 2, 2011, 08:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

^ ahh....how could you even mention dope king Asif's name among all these superstars ? He is such a disgrace to cricket. Actually to be frank, most of the Pakistani cricketers are disgraceful to gentleman game of cricket because of their all kinds of illegal acts.

You actually insulted your own players by comparing with dope king and gangsta.
Old January 2, 2011, 09:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
^ ahh....how could you even mention dope king Asif's name among all these superstars ? He is such a disgrace to cricket. Actually to be frank, most of the Pakistani cricketers are disgraceful to gentleman game of cricket because of their all kinds of illegal acts.

You actually insulted your own players by comparing with dope king and gangsta.
Well, in that case you should not have named Malik. Malik is one of the most ordinary cricketers around. He is not even playing for Pakistan lately. Is he a part of their test team in NZ?
Old January 2, 2011, 02:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

If you mean Gayle's comment "I didn't follow much of it because it kind of clashed with my party events in Jamaica", then I will have to go with him.

In general, a wise man is very selective in gathering knowledge/information. The great Sherlock Holmes did not know if the earth moves around the sun or not. As a fan, I feel that the importance of the Ashes is overrated. It is a part of the tradition and history and certainly it is valuable; but to me the much more competitive Ind-SA series is more attractive. Gayle is a player and he can choose how to spend his time, preparation for his own cricket is more important than gathering cricketing news. I am happy with him that he has been honest with his comments.

IMO, the idea of avioiding superstars in a team is not usually good. Those guys are termed as superstars by their performances and in order to win matches those performances are very much needed. Does anyone remember the John Buchanan comment about KP before this Ashes? That 'bad boy' was supported by his captain and he earned the first test win in this series for England. However, the coach, the manager and the likes must have man management skill to use the players properly. Their incompetence should not be the reason of dropping a performer from the team in the name of destroying team's unity or some similar reason.
Old January 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
If you mean Gayle's comment "I didn't follow much of it because it kind of clashed with my party events in Jamaica", then I will have to go with him.

In general, a wise man is very selective in gathering knowledge/information. The great Sherlock Holmes did not know if the earth moves around the sun or not. As a fan, I feel that the importance of the Ashes is overrated. It is a part of the tradition and history and certainly it is valuable; but to me the much more competitive Ind-SA series is more attractive. Gayle is a player and he can choose how to spend his time, preparation for his own cricket is more important than gathering cricketing news. I am happy with him that he has been honest with his comments.

IMO, the idea of avioiding superstars in a team is not usually good. Those guys are termed as superstars by their performances and in order to win matches those performances are very much needed. Does anyone remember the John Buchanan comment about KP before this Ashes? That 'bad boy' was supported by his captain and he earned the first test win in this series for England. However, the coach, the manager and the likes must have man management skill to use the players properly. Their incompetence should not be the reason of dropping a performer from the team in the name of destroying team's unity or some similar reason.
Excellent. I agree completely.

But I would never take most of the superstars of Pak, for off the field practices. -

But highlighted part of text is applicable for them and I'm confident that the Pak manager/coach/captains & Even PCB haven't lived upto the expected standards. That's much more than enough to misguide the young tallented star players of Pak team.
Old January 5, 2011, 08:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Sir Donald Bradman. Cause he will make everyone else look ordinary
Old January 6, 2011, 03:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Wow! Inzamam? Seriously? I thought he was the only genuine character Pakistan had in the last 15 years who could change a game on it's head and was the ultimate match winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahir
Feeling somewhat surprised at Chris Gayle's dismissive comments on the Ashes, I reaffirmed Gayle's place in my list of superstar cricketers who would never be in any team I pick. For a superstar to be humble and modest in spite of the all stardom ranks highly in my books. Here's my list of superstars who I will always do without:

England: Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann
India: Harbhajan Singh
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori, Brendon McCullum
Pakistan: Most of the them (barring a very few) and Inzamam-ul-Haq (must be mentioned)
West Indies: Chris Gayle, Kemar Roach

Please share, if you have any grudges with anyone!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 6, 2011, 04:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I found nothing wrong in what Gayle has said.
He is neither an Aussie nor an Englishman.
It is not mandatory for him to be excited about Ashes which literally takes place in an upside down time zone compared to his home country.

The guy is a cricketer and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do during his much awaited precious break is to wake up all night and watch Swan Cook Beer.

They have a life.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Excellent. I agree completely.

But I would never take most of the superstars of Pak, for off the field practices. -

But highlighted part of text is applicable for them and I'm confident that the Pak manager/coach/captains & Even PCB haven't lived upto the expected standards. That's much more than enough to misguide the young tallented star players of Pak team.
Thanks, banfan bhai.
For the Paki players it is more of the tradition and culture. They will quarrel among themselves, fight in the dressing room, look for girls at every possible opportunities; but that's the way they grow up and still play magical cricket as long as the management is OK. I have played cricket with them as well as against them as a team and I can say, you need real patience to handle the way they quarrel with every little things. Once I had to spend half an hour discussing with them the size of the boundary and the number of overs to play the match. They wanted smaller boudaries for hitting sixes, where we are used to play along the ground. We wanted a 20 overs per side match (patience is the key), they wanted to make it 8-10 overs. All Afridis.

So, as long as they are playing as a Paki team, one or two can not be singled out and they live happily that way. But when they play in other teams, they need to be handled with special care. A Zahur Elahi ruined Shanto's career breaking his leg hitting with the bat, when he was our best bowler.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
A Zahur Elahi ruined Shanto's career breaking his leg hitting with the bat, when he was our best bowler.
this really happened ?
Old January 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
this really happened ?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ory/90260.html

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=29269
Old January 6, 2011, 09:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

OMG ! he didn't get charged for assault ?
Old January 6, 2011, 09:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
OMG ! he didn't get charged for assault ?
I forgot exactly what punishment he got. In Dhaka leagues it should not be severe. But Shanto never became the same again. He was out for much longer than initially estimated, came back, lost form and finally dropped. He was the best pacer before Mash.
Old January 7, 2011, 10:21 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Afridi + All the other punks out there.

And what's wrong with what Gayle said? It was suppose to be funny. He is not forced to watch the Ashes now is he? Gayle is a chilled, party-hard guy. I'd rather hang with him than have VIP tickets to the Ashes.
Old January 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
So, as long as they are playing as a Paki team, one or two can not be singled out and they live happily that way.
LOLZZ ... I love the way you labeled your own team mates as "PAKI". I might be wrong here but isn't that an insult to them?

P.S

Not all pakistani people are like scumbags. I have a few pakistani friends who are well civilised and have great character. It all comes down to how you are raised and where you are raised...
Old January 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
It is not mandatory for him to be excited about Ashes which literally takes place in an upside down time zone compared to his home country.

The guy is a cricketer and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do during his much awaited precious break is to wake up all night and watch Swan Cook Beer.

They have a life.
Sovik Likes this
Old January 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

They have a life.
Two excellent posts!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 25, 2011, 04:12 AM
BC Editorial Team

@Mahir: be careful there man. Read our own Shakib's interviews and articles. He's at various points mentioned or done the following:
1) He's lazy about practice. Not serious about it at all
2) He doesn't watch a lot of cricket
3) Curse out a fellow player on the field
4) Curse at spectators
5) Called out a veteran player publicly for his poor form and fielding

Would you want to build a Bangladesh team without him?
Old January 25, 2011, 05:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
LOLZZ ... I love the way you labeled your own team mates as "PAKI". I might be wrong here but isn't that an insult to them?

P.S

Not all pakistani people are like scumbags. I have a few pakistani friends who are well civilised and have great character. It all comes down to how you are raised and where you are raised...
It is about the Pakistani cricket team.