facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 3, 2012, 08:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria
Default Jail Killing Day

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=2...0QL_I.facebook

They were more than just party leaders, they were the rocks during the times of distress and key pioneers of bringing independence and taking a nation forward..My heartiest salute to the 4 national leaders, you shall never be forgotten..

Old November 3, 2012, 02:41 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

It's sad that this thread has not received more views and posts.

This is what I shared on FB yesterday night:
"The next couple of days mark two of the most seismic events in Bangladesh's history and which, devoid of political partisanship, should be observed with deep reflection and sincere self-assessment.

Tomorrow, 3rd November, was the day in 1975 on which four of our greatest and most conscientious leaders were murdered in cold-blood in Dhaka Central Jail. They were men of vision, our leaders during our War of Liberation, our first cabinet, the rallying force for our freedom fighters and our first representatives to the rest of the world. They embodied the many noble principles and ideals enshrined in our Constitution, that seem so elusive nowadays. Where would we be if these men were still alive today? Would they have recognised the country that we now have? We can but wonder.

Coupled with this, 4th November, 1972 is the day on which the 11-month old Bangladesh gave itself a Constitution; a document that is intended for the consumption and comprehension of every Bangladeshi, but read by very few. Have you ever wondered what fundamental rights you have or what principles guide State policy? Without thoroughly reading and understanding such provisions, it's impossible to protest when such duties, obligations and responsibilities are not upheld. Unlike in other parts of the world, we do not have a Republic Day or any other commemorative event to mark the promulgation of our Constitution; a moment in which we can deliberate and discuss the most fundamental law that governs us. But maybe, on this day, we can individually take the time to learn and think about these issues?"
Old November 3, 2012, 02:42 PM
BC Editorial Team

A very, very important documentary on Tajuddin Ahmed and the Liberation War in general. The interviews of his wife, daughter, younger colleagues and associates, etc are particularly informative. It is interesting to note how different the AL of that time was to the party now:

Old November 3, 2012, 04:31 PM
BC Editorial Team

Also, this historic speech: http://www.tajuddinahmad.com/resources/speech1.pdf delivered on April 10, 1971

An absolutely riveting speech. My hair stood on end by the end of it.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
It's sad that this thread has not received more views and posts.
"
I ain't surprised at all.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Latest news:
Quote:
ঢাকা, নভেম্বর ০৪ (বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম)- জাতীয় চার নেতা হত্যা মামলায় হাই কোর্টের রায়ের বিরুদ্ধে রাষ্ট্রপক্ষের আপিল শুনানির জন্য ১১ ডিসেম্বর দিন ধার্য করেছে আপিল বিভাগ।

রোববার প্রধান বিচারপতি মো. মোজাম্মেল হোসেনের নেতৃত্বে আপিল বিভাগের পূর্ণাঙ্গ বেঞ্চ শুনানির এই দিন ধার্য করে।

এর আগে অ্যাটর্নি জেনারেল মাহবুবে আলম রাষ্ট্রপক্ষে শুনানির দিন ধার্য করতে আদালতে আবেদন করেন। এ সময় তার সঙ্গে ছিলেন এ মামলায় রাষ্ট্রপক্ষের প্রধান আইনজীবী অ্যাডভোকেট আনিসুল হক।

পরে আনিসুল হক সাংবাদিকদের বলেন, “আপিল বিভাগ এই মামলার চূড়ান্ত শুনানির জন্য আগামী ১১ ডিসেম্বর দিন ধার্য করেছে। আশা করি, ওইদিন আমরা শুনানি করতে পারব।”

আপিলের অনুমতি পাওয়ার এক বছর আট মাস পর আলোচিত জেল হত্যা মামলায় আপিলের সংক্ষিপ্তসার গত বৃহস্পতিবার আপিল বিভাগে জমা দেয় রাষ্ট্রপক্ষ।

অ্যাটর্নি জেনারেলের কার্যালয়ের পক্ষে অ্যাডভোকেট অন রেকর্ড সুফিয়া খাতুন সুপ্রিম কোর্টের সংশ্লিষ্ট শাখায় নথিপত্র জমা দেন। পরে তিনি সাংবাদিকদের বলেন, এর মধ্য দিয়ে মামলাটি আপিল বিভাগে চূড়ান্ত শুনানির জন্য প্রস্তুত হলো।
Quote:
২০০৪ সালের ২০ অক্টোবর ঢাকা মহানগর দায়রা জজ মো. মতিউর রহমান রায় দেন। রায়ে রিসালদার মোসলেম উদ্দিন (পলাতক), দফাদার মারফত আলী শাহ (পলাতক) ও এল ডি (দফাদার) আবুল হাসেম মৃধাকে (পলাতক) মৃত্যুদণ্ড দেয়া হয়।

যাবজ্জীবন কারাদণ্ড হয় বঙ্গবন্ধু হত্যা মামলায় মৃত্যুদণ্ডে দ-িত সৈয়দ ফারুক রহমান, সুলতান শাহরিয়ার রশিদ খান, বজলুল হুদা, একেএম মহিউদ্দিন আহমেদসহ ১২ জনের। খালাস পান বিএনপি নেতা কেএম ওবায়দুর রহমান, শাহ মোয়াজ্জেম হোসেন, নুরুল ইসলাম মঞ্জুর ও তাহেরউদ্দিন ঠাকুর।

ওই রায়ের বিরুদ্ধে আপিল হলে হাই কোর্ট ২০০৮ সালে মৃত্যুদণ্ডপ্রাপ্ দুই আসামি মারফত আলী ও হাশেম মৃধাকে অব্যাহতি দেয়। রায়ে মোসলেমের মৃত্যুদণ্ড বহাল রাখা হয়।

যাবজ্জীবন কারাদণ্ডপ্রাপ্ত ফারুক, শাহরিয়ার রশিদ, বজলুল হুদা ও একেএম মহিউদ্দিন আহমেদকেও খালাস দেয় হাই কোর্ট।

হাই কোর্টের রায়ে আট সেনা কমকর্তার সাজা বহাল রাখা হয়। এরা হলেন- খন্দকার আবদুর রশিদ, শরিফুল হক ডালিম, এমএইচএম বি নূর চৌধুরী, এএম রাশেদ চৌধুরী, আহমদ শরিফুল হোসেন, আবদুল মাজেদ, মো. কিসমত হোসেন ও নাজমুল হোসেন আনসর।
Quote:
কিন্তু এই বিচার সঠিকভাবে হয়নি- এমন অভিযোগ করে চার নেতার পরিবারের সদস্যরা রায় পুনর্বিচার দাবি জানান। সরকারের কয়েকজন মন্ত্রীও পুনর্বিচারের কথা বলেন। তবে বিচারকাজ বিলম্বিত হওয়ার আশঙ্কায় ওই অবস্থান থেকে সরে আসে সরকার।
Read more
Old November 4, 2012, 01:17 AM
Administrator

PM Tajuddin Ahmed's statement to the world, April 17, 1971.
On April 17, 1971, the then acting PM of Bangladesh made a statement to the world to support the Bangladesh cause for freedom.

[An exceptionally erudite and empathetic appeal to the world]
Old November 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
PM Tajuddin Ahmed's statement to the world, April 17, 1971.
On April 17, 1971, the then acting PM of Bangladesh made a statement to the world to support the Bangladesh cause for freedom.

[An exceptionally erudite and empathetic appeal to the world]
wow...great share
Old November 4, 2012, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Thanks yameen brother for this thread and all who are participating with documentaries, writings, speeches etc. of The Greatest unsung leader of Bangladesh.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed's (may GOD rest his great soul in peace) diaries, published in several volumes, are widely available in Bangladesh. A must read for anyone genuinely interested in the political history of Bangladesh.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 5, 2012, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed's (may GOD rest his great soul in peace) diaries, published in several volumes, are widely available in Bangladesh. A must read for anyone genuinely interested in the political history of Bangladesh.
ahem ahem Could you recommend any particular titles for me please? I am in the UK but plan to be in Bangladesh later in the winter so hope to obtain some material when I reach
Old November 5, 2012, 07:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
ahem ahem Could you recommend any particular titles for me please? I am in the UK but plan to be in Bangladesh later in the winter so hope to obtain some material when I reach
Not sure what you can get in the UK or the US. Most of the authentic works are in Bangla and published by smaller publishing houses. But you may be able to find Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed's (may GOD rest his great soul in peace) diaries there.

Call me once you're here and I'll personally take to a very cool bookstore called Pat'hok Shaumabesh. You'll find many great titles there. PM me once you get here and I'll PM you my number
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 5, 2012, 07:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

I'm distantly related to Syed Nazrul Islam from my mother's side....what I learnt that my aunt, her husband and children sufferred a lot during that time...it was a very overwhelming situation at that time for all of them...
Old November 5, 2012, 08:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Not sure what you can get in the UK or the US. Most of the authentic works are in Bangla and published by smaller publishing houses. But you may be able to find Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed's (may GOD rest his great soul in peace) diaries there.

Call me once you're here and I'll personally take to a very cool bookstore called Pat'hok Shaumabesh. You'll find many great titles there. PM me once you get here and I'll PM you my number
Will do Sohel bhai, thanks for that!
Old November 5, 2012, 11:15 AM
BC Editorial Team

^ Yameen bhai, if you want a bit of a taster before going to Pat'hok Shaumabesh with Sohel bhai, you might like to read some of the excerpts from Tajuddin Ahmed's diaries, memos, etc. here: http://www.tajuddinahmad.com/

Additionally, if you're looking for political histories etc. in English as well then the only English academic publishing house in BD is University Press Limited which has a branch in Nilkhet and in Badda. As they have authors from across the political spectrum, you'll find some very interesting and informative books on history, politics, sociology, etc. (Most recently, I saw a book on sports and nationalism there which I am dying to pick up the next time I am in that area)
Old November 5, 2012, 11:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anher
Thanks yameen brother for this thread and all who are participating with documentaries, writings, speeches etc. of The Greatest unsung leader of Bangladesh.
So which one of us will change avatars?
Old November 9, 2012, 07:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^ Yameen bhai, if you want a bit of a taster before going to Pat'hok Shaumabesh with Sohel bhai, you might like to read some of the excerpts from Tajuddin Ahmed's diaries, memos, etc. here: http://www.tajuddinahmad.com/

Additionally, if you're looking for political histories etc. in English as well then the only English academic publishing house in BD is University Press Limited which has a branch in Nilkhet and in Badda. As they have authors from across the political spectrum, you'll find some very interesting and informative books on history, politics, sociology, etc. (Most recently, I saw a book on sports and nationalism there which I am dying to pick up the next time I am in that area)
Many thanks Navo bhai!
A very insightful webpage and certainly more comprehensive than a lot of the other sites I have come across.
I will definitely check these places out when I am in Dhaka
Old November 9, 2012, 11:29 PM
Cricket Savant

^Simeen has made a documentary about her late father. That DVD's widely available in Bangladesh and is a must-watch.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Sohel bhai, I gave the link to it above!