facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 10, 2014, 05:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers
Default Bangladesh,Zimbabwe and Associates to play off for 2019 WC

From ICC's press release its pretty much confirmed, WC 2019 to have 10 teams

Quote:
The cut-off date for the 10-team ICC Cricket World Cup in 2019 – also to be played in England and Wales - was set for 30 September 2017. The top eight ranked sides on that date will automatically qualify for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, while the ninth and 10th ranked teams will play in the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier to be held in Bangladesh in 2018.
So, you and Zimbabwe are going to have to play off versus I assume 6 other Associates for a WC spot, like the 2014 T20 groups. You guys have home advantage so are pretty much assured a spot I guess.

I have to leave for university right now but words cannot describe how angry I am with this farce of a governing body.

Cut off point for the Champions Trophy is 30 September 2015 so if you want to take part in that Bangladesh have to be ranked in the top 8 by then.

So much for a "World" Cup eh?? Champions Trophy 2.0 more like it.....

http://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2014...ittee-meetings

Old November 10, 2014, 07:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Again with this bs? WC without associates is a waste of a WC. And Who is to say that by 2017, we'll be at the bottom 2?
Old November 10, 2014, 07:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
Again with this bs? WC without associates is a waste of a WC. And Who is to say that by 2017, we'll be at the bottom 2?
You're correct you mighnt be bottom 2 sorry, but in all likelihood you will since you get too few games to make a big move in the ODI rankings.

Either way this is a joke decision and I'm sick and tired of the ICC openly trying to kill off the game outside the big 10
Old November 10, 2014, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Pathetic decisions by ICC.

Is this a cricket world cup or just another tournmanent where top teams face each other often like they always do?
Old November 10, 2014, 09:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
You're correct you mighnt be bottom 2 sorry, but in all likelihood you will since you get too few games to make a big move in the ODI rankings.

Either way this is a joke decision and I'm sick and tired of the ICC openly trying to kill off the game outside the big 10
True, very true. The worst decision by far has to be joint WC winners if the final ends up in a draw. I can't face palm enough.
Old November 10, 2014, 10:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Javed Omar Belim

What if we whitewash ZIM in the ODI series? How far we will be from the 8th (WI) spot then?
Old November 10, 2014, 10:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguner_gola
What if we whitewash ZIM in the ODI series? How far we will be from the 8th (WI) spot then?
Far. We'll only be at 75 if we beat ZIM 5-0

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 10, 2014, 11:13 AM
BC Editorial Team

The ICC might be the most myopic sports body going around
Old November 10, 2014, 12:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
So much for a "World" Cup eh?? Champions Trophy 2.0 more like it.....

http://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2014...ittee-meetings
I blame 2007 WC for this and the mighty $$$$. Unless something changes drastically, Ireland has equal chances as for current English team. That is my observation.

Holland put a scare in the last World cup. One cannot let this continue. Thus Ind and Eng came up with this farce idea.

I just wait for the day when Nepal, UAE or Malaysia some how kicks Eng or Ind's arrogant a$$e$.
Old November 10, 2014, 02:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I blame 2007 WC for this and the mighty $$$$. Unless something changes drastically, Ireland has equal chances as for current English team. That is my observation.

Holland put a scare in the last World cup. One cannot let this continue. Thus Ind and Eng came up with this farce idea.

I just wait for the day when Nepal, UAE or Malaysia some how kicks Eng or Ind's arrogant a$$e$.
Yup. The ICC didnt care about the format until India and Pakistan were knocked out,

Its a total disgrace and should not be allowed happen. Hope its challenged at the CAS like the decision to make the WC a full member only event was made in 2011.

Its turned the pinnacle of the game into an invite only event.

If every team had equal ODIs then there would at least be some sense to it, but as is if we were to win every ODI we play we'd still end up 9th or so.

Travesty is what it is, imagine the uproar if Bangladesh somehow failed to qualify?? Unreal....
Old November 10, 2014, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Um unfair,but qualiufier in bangladesh,why are you worried.
Old November 10, 2014, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

^That's very selfish and shortsighted. The "world cup" should have atleast 16 teams. If only top teams compete, it's not a global event. Bangladesh came as far as it did because of WC '99. If we bar the associates from such events, there will never be a 11th test side.
Old November 10, 2014, 03:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
Um unfair,but qualiufier in bangladesh,why are you worried.
We are not worried at all. The only thing the associates miss is the opportunity to play against G8. There is no FTP for them. The allocation of Money is farce. There is no alternative of match practice and gaining international exposure. WC was the only opportunity for them to show case whatever talent they have. If we, who came through the associate ranks just like SL and Zimbabwe do not support the associates then who will? We know how difficult it is in the big leagues without the opportunity. Yes, they will be carted regularly in the beginning but there could be time like Cardiff (2005) for others. or NZ's recent predicament against BD. Ireland, Holland is not like Bangladesh. Given opportunity they will have good results. See Hockey and look for teams such as Holland, Spain, Argentina, South Korea!!! It is no longer India vs Pakistan. That is how you globalize this sports.

If the $$$ forces the World only to see a ten match series of Ashes, and vs Ind, and the rest of us suck eggs; we should demolish ICC.
Old November 10, 2014, 03:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
..If we bar the associates from such events, there will never be a 11th test side.
That is the key. They have already decided on that. Thus their will be a playoffs between the lowest ranked test team vs the highest ranked Associate. Whoever prevails will be the 10th Test team for 2 years. And the cycle continues every two years I believe. There will not be a regular 11th team.
Old November 10, 2014, 10:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

And this is why cricket will always lag behind the other sports in the number of countries playing the sport seriously. Recently basketball had a World Cup and they had 24 teams participating. Yes 24 teams. We obviously know how many teams soccer has. Rugby I believe have 20 countries. And yet cricket want to go to 10. How shameless can they be?
Old November 11, 2014, 12:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Being from a generation that grew up watching test and ODI cricket, I agree it'd be nice to have as many teams participate in the ODI world cup as possible. But I'll play devil's advocate here because I see what ICC is trying to accomplish and the method to their madness.

They have clearly chosen T20 as the brand of cricket for globalization. After playing test cricket for almost 15 years, we have shown how difficult it is for a new entrant to bridge the gap between them and the G8. In ODI's the gap is smaller but it's still there.

In Basketball, the World cup or the Olympics are the main global tournaments but the NBA is the flagship product. Now basketball has taken long strides towards globalizing the sport, but they're still reluctant to allow teams from other countries enter the NBA because they fear it may dilute the competition. This may change in the future when say UK becomes good enough to put together a team that can compete in the NBA.

It's difficult to compare sports like basketball, football, or rugby to cricket because in cricket you have three different formats and each format is vastly different from the others. In order to compete with other sports on new frontiers and build a foundation for cricket in those countries they needed to decide on a format that's somewhat comparable to the other sports they're competing against. T20 is the format that makes the most sense length wise and also in terms of giving the new teams a better chance to compete. In this age of facebook and twitter and instagram where ppl's attention span keeps getting shorter by the day they'll definitely gain more ground faster and get more bang for their buck by promoting T20 compared to any other format.
Old November 11, 2014, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh will make it,fact.
Ireland team in their 30's already missing johnston and rankin,in a spot of trouble.
I don't like it but boards made a deal with the big 3 and this is a consequence of it.
ICC not trying to grow the sport.
Bangladesh made it because of dalmiya,icc making it near impossible for associates to make test cricket,and now t20 world cup.
This is the new paradigm the big 3.
Funny india 6th in test cricket.but power wise no 1.