facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 5, 2004, 06:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default 2 captains vs 1 captain

Todays main topic in all the newspapers is separate captains for test and ODI team vs single captain. AUS and SL have that concept. ENG had that at first. Is BD ready for trying this concept? What are the pros & cons for having separate captains for BD?

By reading those news - I understand that Whatmore doesn't want separate captains for test & ODI team. But it seems the cheif selector Faruque Ahmed is inclined for separate captains. He thinks Sujin is still the best candidate for ODI. And surprisingly he thinks Sujon might be in the test side even though he is not selected as a captain for test - being ODI team captain. There is no such example of this in any other nation (Eng/Aus/SL).

Lets discuss the 2 captain vs 1 captain in context of Bangladesh Cricket team. How that is good? Why that is bad?

Old January 5, 2004, 07:29 PM
Test Cricketer

I don't think BD has enough Captain calibre players in their pool to even think of such a thing.. they're having a tough time finding 1 captain let alone 2!
Old January 5, 2004, 08:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

The thing is that Mahmud is probably the best captain in the country (except bowling himself too much) yet isn't good enough to be in the team. Could you go back to u-10s cricket and have a revolving captain who doesn't do anything but the toss?
Old January 5, 2004, 08:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Finding captain calibre players is not a problem. Captains from any one of the domestic firts-class system can fill the slot. Finding captain who can warrant an automatic spot in the playing eleven is. I think Mahmud and Bashar would make great skippers.
Old January 6, 2004, 12:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I dont know why one would even consider mahmud for the ODI squad? I mean, what has he done but to occupy a spot miserably that can go to Mushfiq? I won't even mention his worthiness in the test squad. that point should be mute. If he warrants a spot in the squad solely because of his leadership skills, I am afraid not much can be said about the rest. His inclusion will always prevent us from fielding the best possible side. we will always be a bowler or a batsman short because of him. I think its time to move forward and select one capatin whose place in the side is beyond doubt and well cemented in both versions of the game. There will be growing pains. we just have to accept it and prepare for the future..