facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old November 8, 2005, 10:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল
Default Any good chess players around?

I am interested to play chess games with BanglaCricket members on yahoo chess. If anyone interested to play with me my yahoo id is masum_aiub2001@yahoo.com and my nick is harun_majumder. You can either u2u me when you have time and i am online or can add me to your yahoo messenger so you can see if i am online. If i am online just give me a knock and we will have a battle on the chess field.

Anyway i think i am a very good player. Can you prove me wrong?

Note: I usually play in the advanced section of yahoo chess on a 'not so crowded' lounge.

Thank you.

Old November 8, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

what is your rating? Once upon a time when I was at school had 1500+ rating.
Old November 8, 2005, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

I am not gonna consider myself as a "good" chess player, but I'd love to play it for fun. I once had the honor to play with one of our BC members (Carte_Blanche) and needless to say that I lost it pathetically

However, I don't play in yahoo nowadays since I found a more interesting chess site to play with (www.chess21.com). If youre interested, you can join me there. I assure you will win but hey note that I will fight till my last blood dripping ....Juddho bina nahi debo shuchagro medini! Btw, my ELO (rating) is only +1700.
Old November 8, 2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Don't have any rating but maybe I should start playing again. Between yahoo and chess21, which one are we going for ?
Old November 8, 2005, 08:53 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Have not played chess in years, but beleive it or not, I learned to play it at five. I guess I was quite good at that time because I used to play against older guys and got pretty famous for it in our para (good old days, ah). I'd like to sharpen up few things again, time allowed. my yahoo id is: mr9rubu@yahoo.com, give me a buzz if you see me online, i'd play if free.
Old November 8, 2005, 09:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cats_eye

Few hundred more than you. Could be either side of 2000.
Old November 8, 2005, 09:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tehsin
Don't have any rating but maybe I should start playing again. Between yahoo and chess21, which one are we going for ?
I have followed the Calvia chess olympiad on the chess 21 software used by the olympiad site. But to play chess i always prefer yahoo chess. You dont have to go to yahoo chess site, if you just add me to your yahoo then we can play from the messenger.
Old November 8, 2005, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamManager
Quote:

Not bad. I used to have an ELO of around 1900. Now I am probably -1900. This was during my undergrad days but then switched to competitive bridge during my gard school yeards. Any Bridge players around?
Old November 8, 2005, 09:39 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Doc, an amture but avid bridge fan here! spent quite a few time on yahoo playing bridge and also the software bridge.

it used to be our ramadan game when i was back in bd. started around 11am and kept playing until someone came to call for iftaar!
Old November 8, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cricket Legend

I remember signing up at the Chess21 website as per Nav's recommendation. However, I find the interface somewhat confusing. I have been out of the chess scene for a while, and haven't really played any games since there beginning of Chess Championship at San Luis, Argentina (which Topalov won). I don't know what my ELO rating is, but the strongest player I have beaten over the board has a FIDE rating of 1743. I have alsobeaten Israeli GM Boris Alterman, and American GM Larry Christiansen in handicapped blitz games.

I only play very fast game these days, mostly 1 or 2 minute games (except for when yahoo servers lag - which has become a trend lately).

If anyone wants to play, give me a buzz on my yahoo id: xxx_shokk_xxx
Old November 9, 2005, 10:04 AM
Cricket Savant

One sentence:

For those of you considering playing chess against Team Manager and Carte Blanche don't even dream of that. You will lose even if you Robot/software help. By the way, I would like to see a match between them. When you guys play please post a note so that we can be spectators. To be fare, it should be at least 5 min game. at least 3 match series.
Old November 9, 2005, 11:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
One sentence:

For those of you considering playing chess against Team Manager and Carte Blanche don't even dream of that. You will lose even if you Robot/software help. By the way, I would like to see a match between them. When you guys play please post a note so that we can be spectators. To be fare, it should be at least 5 min game. at least 3 match series.
Carte blanche is a very good player. I have played a close game with him, had a lot of fun but got beaten. But he is fond of blitz games. Also Rubu is a good player.
Old November 9, 2005, 11:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

Fingers crossed for a revenge on carte blanche.

May be we can arrange a online Banglacricket chess tournament someday. Anyone want to take the initiative.

Edited on, November 9, 2005, 4:24 PM GMT, by TeamManager.
Old November 9, 2005, 03:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamManager
Quote:

Not bad. I used to have an ELO of around 1900. Now I am probably -1900. This was during my undergrad days but then switched to competitive bridge during my gard school yeards. Any Bridge players around?
I also quit playing chess after my HSC. Used to be very good before that. Won some trophies in inter-school tournament and other competitions.

Like Dr. Z, gave up on chess and switched to bridge from my undergrad. Still I play bridge whenever I get company.
Old November 9, 2005, 06:09 PM
Cricket Legend

White = Carte Blanche
Black = TeamManager

01. e4 e5
02. d4 exd4
03. c3 dxc3
04. Bc4 c6!?

Unusual move. I am used to opponents accepting the gambit at this point, although I have played against lines like 4.. Nf6. I was tempted to recapture, but that is against the gambit spirit.

05. Nf3 d6
06. 0-0 Be7

I was not happy with my opening by this time. This is not the kind of set up I am used to playing against. I was afraid the centre would be locked soon, so decided to recapture to maintain a slight lead in development.

07. Nxc3 Nf6
08. Bf4 0-0
09. Qd4? Nh5
10. Be3 Re8

I was unhappy with my Qd4 move already, and was surprised I was not punished with moves like b5 or an unpleasant Bg4 pin. It would have been real hard for white to claim any advantage at all after surrendering the centre and being down a pawn. I'd consider white objectively lost with perfect play.

11. e5 d5

Desperation. My only hope to pry open the centre to evoke some tactics. Unsurprisingly, black wishes to keep the centre locked. White in a spot of bother.

12. Be2 g6
13. Rfe1 Be6

Black is trying to secure d5 and prepare c5 with complete central domination.

14. Rad1 c5
15. Qa4 d4

White in some serious problems! All his hopes are pinned on the d1 rook.

16. Bb5 Rf8?

Bizarre looking move. Nc6 (or even Bd7) clearly gives black an advantage with a completed development and control over the centre. Let's not forget black is up a pawn too.

17. Bh6 Ng7
18. b4 Qc8
19. Ne4 a6?

Useless try as the pawn is pinned to the rook. Black is clearly losing the thread here. In a matter of few moves the position has deteriorated drastically for black despite material advantage.

20. bxc6 Nd7

Black admits his mistake and surrenders the extra pawn. But this leaves white with a decisive initiative.

21. Bxd7 Bxd7
22. Qxd4 Bc6

Black is down a pawn now with his king vulnerable to white queen's tactical skirmishes.

23. Bxg7 Kxg7
24. e6+! f6
25. Nd6 Qc7

Kasparov said once that a white knight posted on d6 is worth a rook. Black is about to find out why.

26. Ne5 fxe5
27. Qxe5+ Kg8
28. Nf5 Qxe4
29. Nxe7+ Kg7
30. Rxe4 Bc6

A sham sacrifice forcing trade of queens and a minor piece, leading to a comfortable ending for white with a supported passed pawn.

31. Nd5 Rc8
32. Nb6 Rc6?
33. a4 Rxb6

Tsk Tsk! Black blundered a piece and ended up trapping the bishop. Naturally he chose to be down an exchange than down a piece.

34. cxb6 Bxa4
35. e7 Re8
36. Rd8 Kf6
37. Rxe8 Bex8

Black hopes to guard the queening square with the light squared bishop and somehow manage a draw with an active king on the king-side. His defense skills will be tested rigorously.

38. Rc5 Bc6
39. Rxc6!

Kaput! Rook can not be recaptured because that will allow the pawn to queen. Black resigns.

Overall a decent game. Black lost the game, rather than white winning it. I have my share of excuses though. I do not like long games. I haven't played in a while, and my opening was dodgy at best. I will stick to sounder openings for a while.

If anybody else wants to play, give me a buzz anytime after 8/9 pm EST.
Old November 9, 2005, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i used to be pretty damn good back in grade 8, beating chessmaster 2000 with the highest level of difficulty, as well as every single bloke in school.

apparently, the chessmaster2000 tutorials helped out a lot - those are some pretty neat ones.

then i slacked off. haven't played in years now. dont possess the same patience and karishma anymore.
Old November 9, 2005, 09:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Good commentary from carte blanche. I can't wait......
Old November 10, 2005, 03:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I suck at chess!! So if anybody wanna feel like a winner.... I will play you.

I usually play in yahoo beginner section and lose most of the time. one day I won but that kid was 12 years old only
Old November 10, 2005, 05:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Guys, we need the yahoo id to play each other unless someone wants to play using other software/website. So please give us your yahoo id so if someone feels like to play with you, they can do so.
Old November 10, 2005, 10:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
I usually play in yahoo beginner section and lose most of the time. one day I won but that kid was 12 years old only
lol, let me enlighten you. Oneday, I was feeling lucky and beating most 1500+ at yahoo. Then came a 1400+ and played 10 games in a row and lost all. While playing, the person mentioned she was a 12 year old girl. I felt bad. She was trying out (white) f2-4, Kf3, b3, Bb2 openning. I could not defend that. before we left she told me she was the Junior champ of the sweden. she and her friend was practicing few moves and quiting games in the middle that was the reason of her having a low rating.

Atleast you beat a 12 year old, I lost all of my games to a 12 year old.
Old November 10, 2005, 10:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Thank you carte B for your nice commentary. Have you tried to play at local chess clubs? Not very many people can say they beat a Grand master or two in speed chess who are not GM themselves. We are all proud of you.

Yahoo IDs: Dhaka89, Bri_dge2001 but don't have messenger.
Old November 10, 2005, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Haha Cats_Eye nope. I said I have beaten them in handicapped games. Larry C played down a knight, and Alterman played with one less rook. So basically all I did was trade off the major pieces and have an easy endgame. Those were 2 and 3 min games. So it was fairly easy. I just mention those wins to brag

Don't ya hate it when you lose to a little kid? There's this 8 year old chinese kid at my local chess club. We used to play 5 min games there, and I have never beaten him. Best result I had with him was a draw.

And hey, the f4 Nf3 b3 Bb2 set-up isn't as dubious as it looks at first glance. I was watching a lecture on it earlier, but from black's side. If it is sound for black to play, I'm sure with accurate play white can secure a slight advantage seeing he is up a tempo. I think it is called the Dutch-Stonewall structure.
Old November 10, 2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator

And here is my GM beating story.
Old November 10, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid
And here is my GM beating story.
You guys are too good. Slap me if I ever talk about chess with you guys.

GM beaters!!! Beware, all I need is a good bridge partner and some extra aces.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Orpheus, looks like you and I are on the same boat, let's play each other and get our ratings around 1200-1300. As for Zunaid, Team Manager, Carte Blanche, Cats_eye - if I see any of you lurking around yahoo, i'll run away with my 1200 +/- points intact.

My yahoo nick sheikhali (tehsin24@yahoo.com) and my main weakness - I have lost all my six games to time. How do I increase the time to 5 or maybe 10 minutes.