facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who would you pick ?
Ryad 10 40.00%
Nasir 15 60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25, 2017, 08:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash
Default Ryad vs Nasir for ODIs

Judging by current form I would want NAsir to replace Ryad for the full series in Ireland.

Just curious to know who is on whose side.

Old April 25, 2017, 09:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

It doesn't matter what the fans want.

Remember the recent tour in Sri Lanka? The talk was who would start between Sabbir and Riyad) for test? A direct question was asked to Team Manager Sujon and he clearly said that they had time to decide. There was a practice match and whoever does good would be picked. That was the indication.

After they reached Sri Lanka, in the practice match they didn't even pick Sabbir to play the game. That is how they eliminated competition. Allowed ONLY Riyad to play. Thus the decision was made before hand without competition.

If there is a similar situation, read my post (lips) "HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF."

Nasir will not see the daylights.
Old April 25, 2017, 09:41 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

^keeping aside competition, management is just not fond of Nasir. Our board president himself publicly showed his displease towards Nasir. The fact that he is even in the practice squad in Ireland is surprising. Nasir forced them to pick him through his good performance.

Riyad isn't going anywhere.
Old April 25, 2017, 11:28 AM
Test Cricketer

I don't agree with OP at all. Even though I dislike Ullah with passion but he's still 10 times better than a bits and pieces cricketer like Nasir.

I just don't get this obsession with Nasir. He's a terrible player.

Last edited by Eclipse; April 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old April 25, 2017, 12:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Looking forward to the Hom vs Tanvir thread...

I think Riyad is the more experienced of the two...he needs to bowl more though. Someone tool him for a lot in one of his overs in Sri Lanka.

Nasir, can give you 10 decent overs,.. Definitely the better fielder between the two of them.

So, I would have the 'horses for courses' metaphor take over.

Talk half, left half...

Optimistic-50%
Old April 25, 2017, 01:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
I just don't get this obsession with Nasir. He's a terrible player.

I am reading this in the same way as I read about Ivan the Terrible aka 'The Tsar of all Tsars'.
Old April 25, 2017, 01:19 PM
Cricket Savant

I would say that current form does sway public opinion about a player....Look at the poll results; 4-0 in favor of Nasir the Terrible!
Old April 25, 2017, 01:47 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Riyad all the way
Old April 25, 2017, 02:36 PM
Cricket Savant

^^Mufi, you had to break the trend...

now 4-1 in favor of Nasir...
Old April 25, 2017, 05:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Very hard.. one is in good form and another is not. It depends on practice matches. I think riad ll come back hard.
Old April 25, 2017, 06:04 PM
Cricket Savant

This reminds me of the Symonds vs Gilchrist thread a while back.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old April 25, 2017, 07:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

I don't feel Nasir is a good fit to be batting at no. 7. If he does bat he should be at no. 5.
Old April 25, 2017, 07:46 PM
Cricket Savant

7-2 in favor of Nasir. Nasir's fielding probably the 'it' factor.
Old April 25, 2017, 09:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
Very hard.. one is in good form and another is not. It depends on practice matches. I think riad ll come back hard.
I've been hearing this line forever
Old April 25, 2017, 09:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Nasir's list A batting record (minus ODIs) is far better as nasir averages 46/47 while riyad averages 38/39, I know some might not care about these facts because international cricket is a better gauge but nasir is at least equal in ODIs if not better and he's younger with less experience so has more chance of improving. Nasir is also a better bowler and fielder.

In fact even if you compare their t20 records (international) where riyad has excelled in the last couple of years his record isn't much better than nasir's, still have a similar strike rate to each other, similar average. I don't really get the discomfort in one preferring nasir over riyad in these shorter formats and the reason for that is because even if you look at the facts of having similar batting records, nasir is still 5/6 years younger than riyad and clearly has time to improve being 25 whereas riyad at 31 should already just about be at his peak and not get much better.

The way I've always seen it is if you have a younger guy performing just as well or close to a significantly older player then you're better off investing the time in the younger guy (if you have to choose) because he's more likely to give you better value for longer, plus you're trying to build a quality team, a team better than the current one.
Old April 25, 2017, 09:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Have people forgotten that nasir was in bad form for a long time before being dropped? then he came back for a few matches and even when he came back he wasn't in the greatest form with the bat, his record still holds up with Riyad's pretty well. Both have been in form and out of form at different stages, that's cricket, but overall they have similar records just nasir is more time to improve and he's been more handy with the ball lately and is a better fielder.
Old April 25, 2017, 10:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Nasir Vs Riyad, Nasir might be a clear winner for now. But the bloke needs to deliver if given the chance, because selectors probably wont be too patient.

Long term though, we need to develop a big hitting all rounder for number 7.
Old April 25, 2017, 11:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Maybe saifuddin or possibly al Amin. Liton is a decent boundary hitter and tbh nasir really isn't that bad in the boundary department and I'd expect him to improve that with experience.
Old April 25, 2017, 11:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Nasir Vs Riyad, Nasir might be a clear winner for now. But the bloke needs to deliver if given the chance, because selectors probably wont be too patient.

Long term though, we need to develop a big hitting all rounder for number 7.
They need to give him enough of a chance but they certainly shouldn't be as patient as a complete new comer since he's had a decent amount of international cricket in his career already.

Nasir's off field attitude might not be great (maybe it's improved) but on field I think he'd fit well with the current team, he seems to like the battle which fits in with shakib, sabbir, mosa, taskin, fizz, mehedi they seem to have that keep fighting take it to the opposition mentality and they always believe it can be turned around. They may not always make the best choices but that should improve with experience, important thing is to have the talent and the fight and the belief that they belong there and can win no matter what the circumstance is.
Old April 26, 2017, 12:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Maybe saifuddin or possibly al Amin. Liton is a decent boundary hitter and tbh nasir really isn't that bad in the boundary department and I'd expect him to improve that with experience.
Saifuddin and Miraz and 7 and 8, or even Miraz at 7, other at 8. Adds a lot of flexibility, depth to the side.

Just a few months ago, we were having the issue of playing with a long tail starting from 8.

These all rounders could provide a solution to this.

It would also mean there are 6 front line bowling options. Some would say overkill, rather have an extra batsman for depth.
Old April 26, 2017, 01:14 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

If Nasir can perform better then Riyad in the 4 DPL games and then on the practice matches, he should get the slot ahead of Riyad. So far, they are performing similarly in DPL and thats enough for Nasir to take the slot away from an experienced player. However, Riyad is currently holding the finishers role and I dont believe Nasir is half the finisher Riyad is. The only way Nasir comes in to the squad if Sabbir or Mosaddek plays down the order and allows Nasir to bat somewhere around 4 or 5.

I am surprised Sabbir isnt being questioned yet. Why not swap Nasir with Sabbir? Sabbir had a poor 2016 (worse then Riyad). He got more opportunities to bat at no.3 and still scored less then Riyad who batted all over the place. Please dont bring out the "Sabbir is younger" argument. You guys make it sounds like Riyad is close to retirement and Sabbir is just making his debut. Sabbir was playing the finishers role and then it seemed like he needs some time to get going. So he was promoted up to give him that time and now its almost evident that he isnt the right player to be at no.3 right now.
Old April 26, 2017, 01:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Sabbir and riyad in 2016 played the same amount of innings, 9, and although riyad had a better average it included a not out which sabbir didn't have plus they scored a very similar amount of runs anyway. Now you might say Sabbir had more opportunity to a score runs as he batted more up the order (i didn't check this, basing it on other comments in the thread), ok fair enough, but then riyad should've had a significantly higher strike rate than Sabbir when in fact his strike rate was lower.

The fact is riyad just hasn't done that well, doesn't matter who you compare him to he hasn't done that well, what makes it worse is that he's a very seasoned senior player right smack dab in the middle of his peak years. It just isn't good enough, a replacement needs to be found, whether the team structure is changed or players are moved around, or a new player is brought in or a previous player is brought back, the bottom line is we need to find a replacement for riyad. He might've improved in t20s but he's not performing well enough in ODIs.

As far as Sabbir being questioned, people have been questioning him, imo i'd still give him more chances up the order but he's definitely been questioned recently.

Last edited by Gowza; April 26, 2017 at 03:12 AM..
Old April 26, 2017, 03:05 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Sabbir and riyad in 2006 played the same amount of innings, 9, and although riyad had a better average it included a not out which sabbir didn't have plus they scored a very similar amount of runs anyway. Now you might say Sabbir had more opportunity to a score runs as he batted more up the order (i didn't check this, basing it on other comments in the thread), ok fair enough, but then riyad should've had a significantly higher strike rate than Sabbir when in fact his strike rate was lower.

The fact is riyad just hasn't done that well, doesn't matter who you compare him to he hasn't done that well, what makes it worse is that he's a very seasoned senior player right smack dab in the middle of his peak years. It just isn't good enough, a replacement needs to be found, whether the team structure is changed or players are moved around, or a new player is brought in or a previous player is brought back, the bottom line is we need to find a replacement for riyad. He might've improved in t20s but he's not performing well enough in ODIs.

As far as Sabbir being questioned, people have been questioning him, imo i'd still give him more chances up the order but he's definitely been questioned recently.
cant deny Riyad hasnt done well. Both his avg and SR looks well below par. He is currently batting at a position that suits his present batting style. He needs to perform better immediately or sit out. He is definitely not a lost cause yet. A player who can score 2 100s in Australia against top teams isnt a goner. He needs to be dropped and forced to hit the nets hard. I believe a player of his caliber is needed in the team. But its tough to drop him when he see him performing in domestics. Cant ignore the domestics either because thats what we are using the assess his replacements. So far he has been performing very well in DPL and I hope he has regained some confidence to comeback in Ireland.

On Shabbir, yea i dont mind giving him more chances but Its very hard to give him that chance at no.3. He doesnt look very comfortable there. Doesnt rotate strikes very well which is vital for a batsman occupying the most important batting slot. I would pick Imrul over him for no.3 for now.
Old April 26, 2017, 04:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinathq
cant deny Riyad hasnt done well. Both his avg and SR looks well below par. He is currently batting at a position that suits his present batting style. He needs to perform better immediately or sit out. He is definitely not a lost cause yet. A player who can score 2 100s in Australia against top teams isnt a goner. He needs to be dropped and forced to hit the nets hard. I believe a player of his caliber is needed in the team. But its tough to drop him when he see him performing in domestics. Cant ignore the domestics either because thats what we are using the assess his replacements. So far he has been performing very well in DPL and I hope he has regained some confidence to comeback in Ireland.

On Shabbir, yea i dont mind giving him more chances but Its very hard to give him that chance at no.3. He doesnt look very comfortable there. Doesnt rotate strikes very well which is vital for a batsman occupying the most important batting slot. I would pick Imrul over him for no.3 for now.
Definitely, it's the obvious choice and it would be killing 2 birds with one stone, because it'll sort our lower order somewhat

Old April 26, 2017, 06:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Why you guys not voting NAsir ?
I just want my son back.