facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 29, 2015, 12:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Default South African Team Selection

Since Kallis has retired they've had trouble finding as best like for like replacement as yet could, best they've come up with is Behardien, I've been hearing that Ryan Ten Doeschate is wanting to play for South Africa but obviously hasn't been picked. Behardien certainly hasn't set the world alight, reckon Ryan Ten Doeschate would be worth a gamble. Thoughts?

Old March 29, 2015, 12:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

ryan ten can fit into any team

south africa should have considered ryan mclaren or albie or some other allrounder in wc instead of wayne parnell or farhan in the world cup. it was their only weakness
Old March 29, 2015, 12:53 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Have a feeling the quota issue will never allow SA to become a dominant team, their problem is not as huge as Zimbabwe, but still it will hinder them to reach full potential.
Old March 29, 2015, 01:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Well the board has adjusdged it will be 4 black players,3 coloured,in a 11 man team,they are cannibalising their cricket no wonder Grant Elliot,johnathan Trott and Kevin Pieterson left,its worse now.
Australia has become more multi cultural in the last 18-24 months due to their programs in multi culturalism.Yet states and the national team still pick the best players.Sandhu,Fawad,Khawajah and Christian(aboriginal) have played for Australia in the last 5 years.
Old March 29, 2015, 02:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

duminy, amla, tahir---all of them deserve to be in the main team, no matter what their color is

tsotsobe is another great player
Old March 29, 2015, 03:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Max i am not talking about that but the domestic cricket,will get back to you when done more research on their domestic scene.
Old March 29, 2015, 06:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

SA didn't win this year because their team selection was just bizarre. Two players I wouldn't have had in my team are Quinton and Philander. After returning from injury Quinton has been in horrible form. He should've been dropped after a few games in the league stages and replaced with Rossouw. Barring that innings against SL - where there was no pressure and batting was easy - he made zero contribution with the bat, and kept poorly in the SF. It would've helped him in the long run also. Now he'll be scarred for life knowing he's one of the primary reasons why SA's curse continues. Abbott was bowling brilliantly, replacing him with Philander was a bad move. If they really wanted a fast bowling all rounder they should've persisted with Parnell from the beginning. Again while Philander just barely recovered from injury, Parnell is a brilliant all rounder and was dropped after one poor showing against India.

As good a batsman as Ryan is I don't think he'll make the SA team. If he was a better spinner like Shakib or a pace bowling all rounder he'd have a better chance.
Old March 29, 2015, 08:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Kallis was a batting all rounder, same with Behardien which is why I think Ryan would be someone worth looking at for them, of course if they're looking for a bowling all rounder he probably isn't the go but considering Behardien is getting matches I don't see why Ryan couldn't be an option. The Philander, Parnell, Mclaren position is a different spot.
Old March 29, 2015, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

i think ten doeschate will have harder time in finding a place in SA team. What he can do with the bat, other SA batsmen can do it equally or better. SA middle order is packed with those batsmen ala miller, duminy etc. Also ten doeschate's bowling is mediocre. I dont rate his bowling.

They blundered in the semis by not picking Abbott. Philander is only good at test and steyn is not that good in odis which also hurting them. Likes of Parnell is just rubbish. Their best bet is Morkel in limited overs and Tahir. Imo SA team do not require a lot of changes. Quinton has the talent to go far but I dont know if he is being mismanaged. So managing him properly is a issue. Other one that i have doubt with is Rossouw. Miller and Faf are already great. I dont need to talk about Amla and de villiers.
Old March 29, 2015, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

At 35 he's about 5 years too late even by SA standard unless you're Kallis. He's still a good batsman but not sure about his bowling skills off late.
Old March 29, 2015, 03:09 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Always felt that SA were missing a Klusener/Pollock type player and it proved they were a bowler short in semi-final. I was surprised at the time that Phangiso got picked ahead of McClaren, it's a shame it was because of the quota system.
Old March 29, 2015, 04:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohli_Sox
i think ten doeschate will have harder time in finding a place in SA team. What he can do with the bat, other SA batsmen can do it equally or better. SA middle order is packed with those batsmen ala miller, duminy etc. Also ten doeschate's bowling is mediocre. I dont rate his bowling.

They blundered in the semis by not picking Abbott. Philander is only good at test and steyn is not that good in odis which also hurting them. Likes of Parnell is just rubbish. Their best bet is Morkel in limited overs and Tahir. Imo SA team do not require a lot of changes. Quinton has the talent to go far but I dont know if he is being mismanaged. So managing him properly is a issue. Other one that i have doubt with is Rossouw. Miller and Faf are already great. I dont need to talk about Amla and de villiers.
I agree his bowling isn't the best but a comparison with Behardien id say bowling is similar if not Ryan is a bit better and batting where Behardien has been batting Ryan would be better. He is 34 but they could have picked him back when Kallis retired, probably a bit late now though if he keeps fit he could still play another 4 or so years.
Old March 29, 2015, 06:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Regarding Behardien apparently he's highly rated because he's one of the most consistent match winners in the domestic circuit. In this world cup both he and Roussouw did very well with the bat in the limited opportunities they got. My biggest knock against Behardien is he's approaching 32 and SA should focus on grooming younger players for the next world cup. If Amla, ABD, Morkel, Steyn, faf are going to be around they need to be surrounded by youngsters. Ryan is 3 months shy of his 35 B'day and not getting any younger.

Looking at his stats, he's the Bradman of the Associate world no doubt but in the few ODIs (7) he played against G8, he averages a mediocre 35. It's unfortunate but he lacks experience in ODIs at the highest level and hasn't even played any since the last world cup if I'm not mistaken.
Old March 29, 2015, 06:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Done well in county though, his big hitting would have always been useful, I believe he wanted to showcase his batting in the last worldcup in hope he'd get picked for SA or England.
Old March 29, 2015, 08:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Whats wrong with Parnell?
Old March 29, 2015, 08:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Their tail is too long for my liking(then again, outside of knockout tournaments, very rarely do you ever get to see Dale Steyn with the bat)...just shows How dominant the likes of AB De Villiers, Amla, Quinton, Du Plessis, Duminy has been. Look at Australia, James Faulkner is a genuinely solid batsmen who can probably do the job at #3 or #5 but he comes at number 8. The importance of a genuine all-rounder like Shakib al Hasan, or Glen Maxwell or James Faulkner does wonders for adding depth to any batting order especially in the 50 over format.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree phillander was a token pick,politics,abbott had 14 wkts,could have cost them the world cup final.