facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 11, 2004, 04:51 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default One-day Whatmore

Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore is looking forward to working with his boys only for one-day cricket in the next four months.

Since taking over as Bangladesh coach in June 2003, Whatmore always had to shuffle between both versions of the game.

"Yes, it's going to be interesting thinking only about one-dayers for the first time. I'll make a strategy after talking with the selectors," he said over telephone yesterday, a day after returning from Australia where he attended his brother-in-law's funeral. The 50-year-old Sri Lankan-born Australian had to leave the squad midway through the first Test against the West Indies.

In the next few months Bangladesh have a busy one-day schedule. They will fly to Sri Lanka fifteen days before the Asia Cup kicks off in Colombo on July 16. After that comes the ICC Champions Trophy in England in September.

With his boys returning home this morning after relatively commendable maiden tour of the Caribbean, Whatmore was pleased.

"I'm very happy because everything was positive in the first Test. They fought all the way that's why I thought nothing could have been much better than this," said the delighted coach.

However he did not want to comment on the series-deciding second Test, which Habibul Bashar's men went down by an innings and 99 runs.

"I didn't see a single ball of that match. I can only comment once I watch the video. You should take into account of the pitch condition and circumstances before saying anything."

Many believe that had Whatmore been present, the scenario could have been different.

But Whatmore was quick to dismiss the notion.

"It's true that the team suffered an innings defeat after seven Tests but it would be unfair to think my presence could have brought a different result. No one can guarantee it. It can happen time to time," he added.

Talking about his next assignments, Whatmore believed he had to do something to improve the top-order, which was constantly put under pressure by the West Indian quicks.

"Yes, we need to work with the top but I don't bother whether top order or lower order gets the runs," he said.

Whatmore also refused to admit that Bangladesh lacked big hitters, which was exposed during the one-day series against West Indies.

"Yes, our batsmen couldn't accelerate when it was needed but conditions in the three matches were not similar."

He also said that they need more time to develop a steady opening pair.

"I think Mohammad Ashraful can be a good choice as an one-day opener because he has a lot of potential."

When asked, Whatmore agreed that performance of Hannan Sarker was below par but he still thought that the right-handed opener could do better.

"I believe he will come back soon," he said.

In the meantime, the BCB selection committee will sit on Sunday or Monday to finalise a 14-member squad for the upcoming Asia Cup.
-Dailystar

Old June 11, 2004, 05:35 PM
Test Cricketer

good report!
Old June 11, 2004, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

innings defeat after 7 tests...wow...

yea yea yea...now we're gonna rock in ODI's as well...