facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2003, 01:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Bangladesh\'s future BCB Devlopment squad

BCB Development Squad is definitely our Good and bright future. They gave Abhani a good fight....Abhani won the match by four wickets with four balls to spare that was a thrilling performance by ou youngsters. I'm attaching here with the news report by Daily Star....

==============================
Akram leads from front

Sports Reporter

Akram Khan kept up his rich vein of form as Abahani raced to their seventh win in the GrameenPhone Premier League with a four-wicket win against BCB Development Squad at the BKSP ground in Savar yesterday.
The experienced middle-order batsman struck an unbeaten 57 runs as the popular Dhanmondi outfit toppled a fighting BCB Development Squad total of 192-8 with four balls to spare.

It was yet another Akram show in a 45-over-a-side contest that improved Abahani's tally to 38 points in ten games.

The burly right-hander, who has remained the mainstay of Abahani's batting for over a decade, throttled his side to 196 for six with a carefully crafted half-century after opener Mehrab Hossain hammered a breezy 54 off 59 balls.

Akram struck four boundaries in his 80-ball vigil.

Earlier, batting first, the BCB Development Squad thrived on a 111-run fourth stand between Kafi Khan and Ashiqur Rahman.

Kafi Khan scored highest 60 off 87 balls that included three fours and a six. Ashiqur Rahman scored exactly 50 off 83 deliveries. He struck four boundaries.

Mehrab gave Abahani a flying start. The discarded national opener smashed eight hits across the rope and struck a sweetly timed six in his polished knock.

Akram Khan, who is enjoying his best season at the age of 34, was adjudged man of the match for yet another superb effort.

Old March 16, 2003, 07:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default MY FAVOURITE NEWS OF THE DAY

Mehrab Hossain Opee is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=====================

Oh yeah
Now I can clearly see
Bangladesh beating Australia

=====================

[Edited on 16-3-2003 by DOORBIN]

Old March 16, 2003, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Just hope he's been a regular at Drugees Anonymous. Too much ganja and phensidyl was killing him as a player (and otherwise). If he's kicked the habit, he should be CONSIDERED for the national side. We're in short supply of opening batsmen.
Old March 16, 2003, 12:28 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I have been saying this for long time, Opee is still our best opener. Him and Ash can be good pair as opener.

Are you guys positive that he has drugs problem?
Old March 17, 2003, 06:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default CRICKET RAJ

Nasif,

Not only is Mehrab our best opener, he is our only century maker in ODI. He is the best opener for Bangladesh. His confidence in batting shows all the time. It is unfortunate Opee was absent from 2003 world cup.

Please read the thread "BD in AUS schedule" and you will see how Opee performs....

Mehrab Hossain Opee is our "CRICKET RAJ".

[Edited on 17-3-2003 by DOORBIN]
Old March 17, 2003, 10:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well I guess Opee and Golla will make good pair as openers instead the sloppy Shahriar...Well I think they can try like this
1)Golla
2) Opee
3) Shahriar instead of Habibul Bashar
4) Ashraful
Old March 17, 2003, 10:41 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Here is the article that talks about Opee's possible come back:

Inqilab Article

[Edited on 18-3-2003 by nasif]
Old March 17, 2003, 10:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

O ya wt abt dat software...Is our team gonna use some software like e-cricket Pro???
Old March 18, 2003, 04:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default COMPUTER STARS

You guys are too good with computers. How do you do things like that ? Create a link to that Inquilaab article, for example.....

It was wonderful to read that article, especially in Bangla BHASHA. Love it.

I wish I could show you some of my articles in Bangla.

The best language is Bangla
Ooooh yeah
Old March 18, 2003, 03:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well Doorbin bhai it wasn't me who put the link to the article but then though I wanted to let you know how you can do it....Its preety simple.... When you post a topic you see there are buttons for Bold, Italic and Underline beside those there is a button called Insert Hyperlink click on that and the type the address of the site you want to link....

Here is someting you all would love to know... I'm one of the youngest MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) in the World.....Infact the second youngest....The youngest is a Pakistani boy who completed MCSE when he was 13 and I completed when I was 14....

[Edited on 18-3-2003 by ehsan]
Old March 19, 2003, 05:28 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default CONGRATULATIONS

Ehsan,

This is one of the good news we got from this site. Keep up your good work. (.... So you are our Ahraful in IT)

Thanks for giving me some additional computer knowledge. Sometime in the future I will create some links to selected websites in the future.

Also thanks to Tehsin Bhai who has created this wonderful website for our information and entertainment. Now I am beginning to feel his absense. Was it 4 days or 14 days.... can't remember???

Old March 19, 2003, 09:47 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thanks Doorbin bhai...... Tehsin bhai is suppose to come back in 4 days.....

[Edited on 19-3-2003 by ehsan]
Old March 19, 2003, 01:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Default bangla articles

straying from cricket for the moment, but doorbin I don't know what you write about however there are many places on the web where you can share it. there are several yahoo newsgroups (yahoo.com, follow the link for groups and do a search) and one recent one that started is called "uttorshuri" (uttorshuri@yahoogroups.com). it has good content and invites articles in bangla. of course you will need to install some bangla fonts or buy some bangla software tp create the articles for posting. cheers (apologies to rest of cricket board for posting this here)
Old March 19, 2003, 02:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default opee

Opee was one of my favourite Bd batsmen. The selectors should definitely give him another chance.
Old March 19, 2003, 09:43 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Mine, too.
Old March 19, 2003, 11:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Opee is our only century maker. Can he hit another century ? He is my fav opener !
Old March 20, 2003, 01:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Mine is Golla...he has the best selection of shots...
Old March 20, 2003, 03:36 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I don't think Opee will be able to score another one day hundred. May be a couple of years time, he will be consistent in scoring fifties, I am saying in couple of years time because I think it would take Opee more than a year to adjust himself into the International cricket. Besides, there are sides like South Africa and Australia whom he will be facing as openers, and Aus and SA are renouned to have good fast bowlers, besides Bangladesh will be playing Australia in Australia - when Opee did not even play in South Africa. So, that is a disadvantage for him.

May be, when he will be 35 or 36 years old, then may be, he can score another century.

Whereas, batsman like Ashraful or Alok Kapali, whose career hasn't even started yet - they have a fairly good chance of scoring a hundred, not just because of their young age, but also because of their batting strike rate AND not to mention batting average.
Old March 20, 2003, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I don't wanna jinx him like i jinxed Sumon....but i'm a Mehrab_fan!!!
Old March 21, 2003, 05:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default MEHRAB HOSSAIN OPEE

fwullah,

I don't think Opee will take one year to adjust to international cricket environment.

He is a naturally gifted batsman who seems to enjoy batting and plays with confidence. His being included in the team is adequate justification of his ability to play as an opener for Bangladesh. I have seen him batting against pace and he bats comfortably against fast bowlers.

However, Brett Lee's pace is a bit of a concern for any opening batsman. His bowling is a deadly pace combined with accuracy and such a bowler is not available for practice by most batsmen. In other words, Brett Lee's bowling is available only 'LIVE'. Keeping this in mind, BCB should import some Pakistani pacers to Bangladesh just before the Bangladesh team's departure to Australia. Good quality pace bowlers are abundant in Pakistan and every good team has at least one or two. Our batsmen should have adequate opportunity to practice playing against pace, otherwise the situation in Australia may be totally out of control.

I hope BCB officials will look into this matter before our team's visit to Australia.

Looking forward to ONE WIN AT DARWIN.
Old March 21, 2003, 05:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
"His (Opee) being included in the team is adequate justification of his ability to play as an opener for Bangladesh"
Really???? Couple of days ago, didn't you say that 90% of our failure is due to bad selection. Contradiction!!

Quote:
Looking forward to ONE WIN AT DARWIN.
Do you know what's gonna happen in Darwin? Our men are gonna be mutated back into Monkeys. But I hope you are right as always.
Old March 21, 2003, 06:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

I don't give any chance to BD winning against AUS. They can't lose and we haven't won any official match for 4 years now. I am sure that we would beat SA but no chance against AUS. I would be happy even if we score a 200 against them in a test-match and give them a scare in the ODIs. Forget beating AUS.

We would beat SA, don't worry.
Old March 21, 2003, 06:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default GOOD SELECTION, BAD SELECTION

Orpheus,

Please try to understand what I meant.

Our World Cup 2003 failure was largely due to unfair team selection.

Now the selectors are changing their views and criteria. They are selecting Mehrab Hossain, Akram Khan and Javed Omar which is a good sign. Our selectors' previous attitute of selecting a team full of young and promising players sounds good in theory, but look at the results of this immature decision.

With failure and public pressure, looks like their views are changing. A team should have players who are in the best form at a given point of time -- simple as that. It doesn't matter if all the players are too young or too old or mixed. INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE IS THE KEY. Mehrab and Javed, two of our best players were left out. Akram Khan was included when it was too late.

In Australia, Bangladesh is expected to lose the test series and the first 2 ODIs. I am pretty sure, after a string of losses, the players will REALLY want to win the last ODI to get some pride. They will play like real fighters. (I THINK).

Plus there will be some serious supporters in the gallery. That's for sure.

On a bright suuny day
In a very unusual way
In the city of Darwin
One win
No more than one win
A historic win
As predicted by Doorbin........

Old March 21, 2003, 10:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I hope ur prediction come true.....
Old March 22, 2003, 12:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
A team should have players who are in the best form at a given point of time -- simple as that.
Definitely. Even the dumbest fool in this world knows this - yes even the selectors. I believe Bangladesh's WC squad included 12/13 players who were in their "best" form at that time. Lemme explain:

Most of the players chosen played in the recent tours prior to the World Cup.

The players that you mentioned were kicked out of the team at a time when they were either out of form or injured.

Let's say some miracle happened and they got back their "form" like tendulkar and recovered from injury. Now it is time for world cup selection. Do you think it would be wise to select players who haven't played a single international match for a year or so and choose them for world cup based on some domestic knock of 50+ runs from tokka balls.

Yes. Mehrab HOssain. When was the last time he played an international match. If I am right... he played one/two international match against Pakistan like a year ago and that too was after a long absence. So technically Mehrab didn't play any international match for atleast couple of years. (I am writing this from my memory - I might be wrong - I should check the dates but I am too lazy)

Opee - He was basically kicked out due to bad form. I think he last played a match against South Africa and flopped. So he wasn't chosen due to "survival of the fittest".

Akram Khan too didn't play international matches for quiet awhile. When Akram replaced Masrafee,(Masrafee shoudln't even been chosen at first) he was chosen - as poilot said - due to his recent performance at home and his knock at Busta. This selection was made out of desperation to save our image. He doesn't belong in the squad because he too didn't have any recent international experience. But we didn't have any other choice ... did we??

Ofcourse - a typical response would be Akram did very well. Indeed he did. That was by chance because selection logic doesn't completely answer why he did so well. I believe we all want our selectors to select using logic not using some augurs next to Baitul Mokarrom.

Breaking News: If you analyze Akram's performance, he ddin't do THAT great. He only played 2 games and scored only 13 against quality bowling attack of NZ. His 44 came against Kenya. We can only say how well he did, if he had faced balls from Vaas, Ntini, Pollock, Dillon and even Codrinton?.

Conclusion: I believe there was nothing wrong with the selection but there are definitly other factors that should be looked into. Don't get me wrong, I do support the idea that Mehrab and Golla should be brought in but I don't think - for this WC - Mehrab should've been chosen over Shahariar; Golla over Hannan (<--actually this is not that bad); Nannu over Bashar; Aminul over Sanuar (to tell you the truth I don't know like Sanuar), Akram over Kapali etc etc.