facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: I am
Pro-Siddons 31 31.96%
Anti-Siddons 66 68.04%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20, 2011, 06:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

I am still pro siddons, but won't be too unhappy if he leaves. Because I think we have extracted all the juice from the lemon, the lemonade might not be the best, but it wasn't bad.

Old March 20, 2011, 07:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
I am still pro siddons, but won't be too unhappy if he leaves. Because I think we have extracted all the juice from the lemon, the lemonade might not be the best, but it wasn't bad.
Ditto.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Will be interesting to see how long Rok and Junaid last in the team after he goes...
Rock >> pretty much going with Siddons!
Zunaed>> give it 1-2 matches (if he's lucky), then gone too.
Old March 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Indifferent to Siddons prospects but someone please tell me WHAT an ex-footballer like Tutul doing at the BCB??!

Coaches will come and go at international level but our performances on the field will continue to be the same unless we provide them with international-cricket-ready quality players. That job squarly lies on the shoulders of BCB.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

okay,i was pro siddons but i am not anti siddons now.i think he's a good coach but not for us.he should leave and ar shathe kore shafiul-rubel der coach keo niye jak shathe kore. we need a real bad @$$ coach jar shamne amader sakib-tamimder dadagiri,junaider bhabigiri,mushyr dhilagiri cholbe na
Old March 20, 2011, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

I understand that our players didnt quite execute what Siddons told them to do on the field, but it is the coach's responsibility to figure out what a team is capable of doing and what 'works the best' for them. Siddons didnt quite succeed with this and failure to take singles and rotate the strike among our batsmen says it all.

None of our middle order batsmen (barring Shakib) are Kallis or Sehwag who can literally punch any ball through the gaps for 4 if they wish to. But our batsmen are certainly capable of finding the gaps for singles, Siddons should have emphasized on that.

Nonetheless, for all the improvement/development we have seen since 2007, I dont know how much of that can be credited to Siddons.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
I understand that our players didnt quite execute what Siddons told them to do on the field,
How do you understand that? Can you share please?

Quote:
but it is the coach's responsibility to figure out what a team is capable of doing and what 'works the best' for them.
Wrong, he is not in a fact finding mission. He is the coach. He doesn't figure out, he measures, trains and develops skills. If he would do that, he would know what the team can do, isn't it?

Quote:
Siddons didnt quite succeed with this and failure to take singles and rotate the strike among our batsmen says it all.
Yes, you don't expect success of a team, when the coach doesnt know what the team can do, do you ?

Quote:
Nonetheless, for all the improvement/development we have seen since 2007, I dont know how much of that can be credited to Siddons.
Nothing noticeable. Well, IMO a local coach would have done atleast the same, if not better. So, that's not something for which we start distributing credit to JS.

In your opening Para, I know you wanted to be a little gentle with the anti JS guys and that's normal, but some people take undue advantage of those assumptions, without any credible evidence/reference. Sorry, that wasn't personally anything against you.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: 6+4=10 Dulkar

Enough of Siddon............... need someone new to take us from here.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Siddon is the most successful of all the coaches BD had. We have made real progress under him. I do not think getting out under 50 or 90 is coach's doing. I have not figured out the reason for the two spectacular batting collapses. It may be immaurity and unprecedented pressure of expectation. But when you step back and see the things objectively, the result of this world cup was at par with our ability. We defeated two teams below us and toppled another above us. This is not a bad result. I will be happy with a 50% winning percentage for next five years! Having said this I do have some observations. Our team is too 1-dimensional. Bunch of SLAs and left handed batsmen. I think we need to bring in more diversity in our team. I also think the 4-0 win against NZ did us more harm than good. Somehow it elevated mass spectation to a sky high level and the players suffered for it. It hurts now but we will eventually shake it off. I am sure we will give a better account of ourselves against the Aussies. So please stop the nonsense talk of firing the coaches. This team needs continuity more than ever.

Last edited by LateCut; March 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM..
Old March 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

^^I would say exactly what latecut bhaiya said.
Old March 20, 2011, 01:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Can't blame on the coach for team's failure. We need a team 'pychologist' for our team and not a coach.
Old March 20, 2011, 02:18 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: M'Dulla

Agree with Latecut.

Siddon's has changed our cricketing style from the mindless slogging by Tamim and Aftab at the top and constant blocking by the likes of Rajin saleh to playing cricket in a methodical way.

when Sids took over, Tamim was averaging 17 with bat and Shakib wasn't even permanent in the team. He has improved Imrul by a country mile, Mahmudullah is doing very well in Test cricket.

If you people judge him on his ODI results then he has done ok, but in test cricket (real cricket), he has taken us to a new place, where we are consistently competing for 5 days. Never happened before.

I do think that it's probably right that we get another coach to continue the work he started as he will be under too much pressure now. But we underestimate what he has achieved.
Old March 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
In your opening Para, I know you wanted to be a little gentle with the anti JS guys and that's normal, but some people take undue advantage of those assumptions, without any credible evidence/reference. Sorry, that wasn't personally anything against you.
na, ofcourse this isnt anything personal BANFAN bhai, and a healthy debate is one of the reasons we are here for.

Anyway, I can't reference the articles but I remember reading sth from 2008/2009 where Siddons said 'the players arent executing what they are told'. And ofcourse 58/78 doesnt sound like sth that happened according to Siddon's instructions anyway..

The thing is I refrained from voting in this poll, because simply put, I am confused (so 1 vote for the 3rd missing option). Before I jump into the anti-JS bandwagon I need to know that a change is coming, and getting someone else will really change things. Changing coach after an 'unsuccessful' WC campaign isnt news anymore all over the world, but are we addressing the problems correctly (with the right solution) this time?

reading all the news around its seems Siddon's days are numbered anyway. So, can we get it right with the next guy? all I can say is 'InshAllah...'
Old March 20, 2011, 04:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
okay,i was pro siddons but i am not anti siddons now.i think he's a good coach but not for us.he should leave and ar shathe kore shafiul-rubel der coach keo niye jak shathe kore. we need a real bad @$$ coach jar shamne amader sakib-tamimder dadagiri,junaider bhabigiri,mushyr dhilagiri cholbe na
I agree with this. I think it's best for both parties if we part with Siddons. We have to look forward and need fresh new ideas for the future.
I would like it if we kept Ian Pont and Julien Fountain and maybe even promoting them; Ian Pont as the Head coach (aswell as the bowling coach) and Fountain leading the A team (aswell as fielding coach). It would also be great if we could get Gordon Greenidge as a batting coach.

We must get a new selection panel, I hold the selectors at fault more so than Siddons. These are the guys who kept selecting the same old players (Ashraful, Raqibal etc), not giving chances to any newcomers.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

ajke Banglavision e Shujon(chacha) Siddons er bepare mukhe ja ashchey tai bolchey.
He even said "je manush hishebe bhalona shey coach hishebe ki ar bhalo hobey..."
Old March 20, 2011, 06:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

i was a pro-siddons, still i think he helped bangladesh a lot over the last few years.

i voted for "anti-siddons", i think bangladesh should look for a new coach.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Anti-Siddons. He's helped some of our batsmen, but I still cringe every time I see Zunaed come out to bat. Maybe its not his fault that Zunaed still only comes off the front foot, perhaps Zunaed lacked dedication or ability but if that was the case then he should have raised the issue to the selectors. And it seems that Riyad and Naeem have both declined in their batting ability by being wasted down the order. He's a decent batting coach, but I think we're better off with Ian Pont or Julien Fountain as head coach.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

The way it looks from the outside is that the batsmen need a DEVELOPMENT coach. This is someone who works on the skill levels of players, and not just 'tinkering'. I don't think JS is a development coach at all. He cannot throw balls like a batting coach must be able to and he cannot seem to get the players' technique improved. I am not sure just how much coaching he has been doing either. You rarely see him in the nets coaching, just talking to players in front of the cameras.

Most big names in the batting world would be pretty useless batting coaches as they do not understand how to coach OTHERS. Former big name players are by nature selfish and would not have the patience or knowledge to develop talent.

If our batsmen have to be literally 'coached' at national level then we need a batting coach who can do that and understands how to do that. It is clear that the 58 and 78 all outs are signs of poor technique, decision making and mental strength - three areas you expect a batting coach to correct.

Last edited by LBW103; March 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM..
Old March 20, 2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Says the man who, from his posting history, has been urging us to hire Pont since 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
The way it looks from the outside is that the batsmen need a DEVELOPMENT coach. This is someone who works on the skill levels of players, and not just 'tinkering'. I don't think JS is a development coach at all. He cannot throw balls like a batting coach must be able to and he cannot seem to get the players' technique improved. I am not sure just how much coaching he has been doing either. You rarely see him in the nets coaching, just talking to players in front of the cameras.

Most big names in the batting world would be pretty useless batting coaches as they do not understand how to coach OTHERS. Former big name players are by nature selfish and would not have the patience or knowledge to develop talent.

If our batsmen have to be literally 'coached' at national level then we need a batting coach who can do that and understands how to do that. It is clear that the 58 and 78 all outs are signs of poor technique, decision making and mental strength - three areas you expect a batting coach to correct.
Old March 20, 2011, 11:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103

Great post, couldn't agree more.

We need a proactive, disciplinarian and positive yet critical head coach - and if possible, full-time NCL coaches for full-time NCL teams - with exceptional communication skills who can actually get through to our players and teach them what needs to be learned. He also needs to be able to inspire application of that new learning in the middle. More real games and less net sessions are a must for our guys also, especially when preparing for an event or a tour, because our guys tend to do well in the nets and fail miserably during the real thing.

Siddons, through his moronic "team rules" system, did wonders for the temperament of some of our players, but did not improve them technically. Imrose still has that horrible front foot technique to go with his heavy bottom hand, most of the guys still can't find the gap and rotate the strike while blocking half-volleys and full-tosses, or know what to do with a threatening delivery before having a poke with no movement of the feet. The less said about those fatal premeditated sweeps the better! He also failed to inspire anything with his "we're not good enough but we have the best 15 players in the country" negativism.

Being a great cricketer or a level 3 coach doesn't necessarily mean you can teach, motivate and inspire. It is not about knowledge as such but the ability to effectively impart what you know, and find ways for your student to apply that newly acquired knowledge in the middle.

We can ill afford another Siddons-type compulsive vacationeer riding the coattails of a few individual success and leaving the country with all that easy money. Lipu Bhai hired him in a rush, ironically after the board wasted enough time, and let us not do that this time.

Coach Pont gets my support for the top job because to me at least, he has demonstrated all of the qualities I've mentioned we need in a Bangladesh Head Coach. Let's hope he goes to domestic matches and gets the best of our players to work with.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 21, 2011 at 08:12 AM..
Old March 20, 2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Says the man who, from his posting history, has been urging us to hire Pont since 2005.
My point is that if the players need to be coached then a coach who understands development is what's required? According to Wikipedia, both Pont and Fountain are development coaches from the ECB and it has been posted that Grant Luden is a Level 3 SA coach who has worked with University sides as a head coach.

it seems the depth of batting coaching needs to be more fundamental from seeing the scores in this WC.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Boss: jokes ta to dhorte parlam na.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old March 21, 2011, 01:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Nothing pro or anti, but time for Siddons to go.
Thanks for his service and we should be looking for fresh blood.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 25, 2011, 12:58 AM
Cricket Legend

I was never convinced by JS and always consider him a charlatan who has tried to sell সোনার পাথরবাটি. He wants everybody to be accountable bar him for the whole of his tenure
Old March 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

he shud go. not because of the world cup, but because of how things have gone.

i agree with what mashrafee said in the other interview. we now need a planner. teachers can be the specialized coaches. but a planner, who will always have a back up plan!
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then