facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 3, 2010, 01:45 PM

Default ABC News (US) ThisWeek: with Christiane Amanpour - Should Americans Fear Islam?

ABC News (US) : Special Edition of ThisWeek Town Hall Debate with Christiane Amanpour

Quote:
America is in the middle of a great struggle to balance the religious freedoms and tolerance that define it in this post 9-11 age of terrorism. Franklin Graham, Daisy Khan, 9/11 families, a jihadist and a host of others debated this provocative question: should Americans Fear Islam?
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...npour-11787537

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...npour-11787545

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...npour-11787554

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...npour-11787555

Ok... they're showing this right now on BBC World here in Dhaka, but its a bit of a cut and shortened version. Anyone know anything about this?

Old October 3, 2010, 02:21 PM

Heated Debate Over Place of Islam in the United States

By JOSHUA MILLER and JACK DATE

October 3, 2010

On a special "This Week" town hall, Christiane Amanpour moderated a fiery debate over the place of Islam in America. The first question the "This Week" anchor put to her panelists on all sides of the issue was: should Americans fear Islam?

Peter Gadiel, who lost his son in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, said that he would like nothing more than to not be afraid of Islam, but to ignore the "history of Muslim terror attacks," he said, would be unwise. Gadiel, who is a board member of the 9/11 Families for a Secure America Foundation, said "to ignore that threat is to ignore the history of Islam."

Donna Marsh O'Connor, who lost her daughter in the 9/11 attacks, said that Americans should not live in fear of a whole group of people. "I think Americans should fear criminal behavior. I think we should do the best we can to control criminal behavior. But I can't raise my two remaining sons to fear the people who live next door to them. That is not what my grandparents came to America to escape," she said.

"We are a group of 9/11 family members. I know a lot of family members are here. We share the pain and, you know, I think the unfortunate piece of this is that we don't agree on this," O'Connor added.

Amanpour then turned to the Reverend Franklin Graham, who has called Islam "wicked" and "evil." Graham said he understood what Muslims in America were trying to do. "They want to build as many mosques and cultural centers as they possibly can so they can convert as many Americans as they can to Islam. I understand that," Graham said.

"That's your position?" Amanpour asked Graham.

"Sure," the Revered said. "And I understand what they're doing. ... But let me just say something about Islam. I love the Muslim people. But I have great difficulty with the religion, especially with Sharia law and what it does for women -- toward women, toward non-believers, the violence that is given in -- under Sharia law," Graham told the town hall audience.

Amanpour turned to Reza Aslan, a scholar and a contributing editor and The Daily Beast. "Reza, you have heard just right now several points raised. One is that Muslims in this country are trying to bring Sharia law. Is there a shred of evidence for that?" Amanpour asked.

"No, not a single shred whatsoever," Aslan said.

Amanpour asked Graham why he called Islam an "evil" religion.

"I think to take your daughter, because you think that -- and the religion gives you the authority -- Sharia gives you the authority for honor killing. And we saw the young girl in Ohio just a few --" Graham began to say, but was interrupted by Imam Ossama Bahloul, the leader of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, Tenn.

"It does not," Bahloul said. "Listen, we have some people, Christians, Muslims, Jewish and other, who misuse the holy books. It's understandable. I do not deny this," he said. "But it's something the extreme majority of the Muslims, they have a proper understanding about this religion."

Debate Over Islamic Center Near Ground Zero

Amanpour asked Daisy Khan, one of the main backers of the proposed Islamic Center near Ground Zero, where all the moderate Muslim voices were.

"Well, the moderates are speaking out. I happen to be one of them," Khan, the executive director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement, said. "I was devastated by the events of 9/11 and I had to quit my corporate career -- a lucrative corporate career … to ensure that we would create a counter-momentum against extremism so that another 9/11 does not ever happen again," she said.

"This particular center will create a counter-momentum against extremism, because it will amplify the voices of moderate Muslims, which have gotten drowned out over the years by the extremists, because the extremists did not only hijack the planes, they hijacked an entire religion," Khan added.

Later in the town hall, Peter Gaidel spoke again. "I do not say that Islam is evil. I say there is a lot of evil connected with it," he said. "That is a problem for Muslims themselves. They have to cure the problem. We're supposed to believe Ms. Khan here, that she can cure the problems of Islam at the fringes. The problem goes to the core…" he said.

The conversation turned to the controversy over the Islamic center and Mosque at Ground Zero. Gary Bauer, former Republican presidential hopeful and current president of the group American Values, said "I'm saying that it is incredibly insensitive for her or anyone else to suggest building a mosque near a place where 3,000 people died, killed by men operating in the name of Islam."

Amanpour asked him why he felt that way.

"Because that is ground that was the first chapter in a war with radical Islam. At this very moment, Christiane, the reality that we all face is that there are evil men that worship death that want to bring us a day much worse than the morning of 9/11," Bauer said.

Later, Donna Marsh O'Connor spoke on the issue. "You know, I don't know why on earth you would think that there is an address in America where, you know, Muslim people can't practice their religion," she said. The 9/11 attacks "broke the hearts of everybody in this nation from the East Coast to the West Coast. And let me tell you, once you started spewing the hate, you know, people were attacked across the nation for building or practicing their faith in this country," she said.

"I am not a religious expert. I only know when I was promised when I was born here and that this is a land where all people -- regardless of how difficult it is to have this democracy -- all people are allowed to practice their faith," she said.

While Graham acknowledged "they absolutely have the right to build a mosque or cultural center in this country," he still wasn't convinced it should be built. "Just because they have the right, doesn't necessarily make it right. They ought to be maybe a little more sensitive to the feelings of many people," he said.

Amanpour took those concerns back to Khan, asking, "Do you think that you should move the center?"

"No," Khan said, "I think American values have to prevail."
Old October 3, 2010, 04:32 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shaun Pollock

i just got off watching a re-run of the thing on tv,many ideas shared,but very few appreciated in the middle of the heated arguments,but i dare say the islamic point of views made CLEAR sense,which the 'islamphobics' never seemed to agree with,that's the only thing that demeaned this whole debate,Christiane Amanpour,you've made tv history again!
Old October 3, 2010, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

yeah I just happened to turned on tv while eating and got to watch the whole thing. Islamophobes are just too silly, I don't think no religion on earth has gotten as much hatred as Islam has on media over the last decade. People don't even care to be politically correct or sensitive when they talk about Islam as if Muslims don't matter. No body can dare talk about any other religion in a negative tone (i am talking about in mainstream news channels, not some comedy shows). It is sad that "religious intolerance" is even a "debate" in 21st century - goes to show that people never change and there needs to be a marginalized group that everyone can spit on to feel good about themselves. It's scary how people just don't put a cap on...

What's bothersome is the sense of entitlement some people have being "American" while blatantly denying the same rights to another American solely based on his religion. They are basically saying you can't be "American" if you are a Muslim. I am surprised they aren't building concentrations camp already for Muslims in this country.

In that show, that Reza guy can pretty much take on the whole Islamophobe group by himself in a debate. Rest of the people in support of Islam weren't that eloquent. The only problem I have is with Mrs. Khan, she needs to phrase her answer much better regarding the location of the Mosque. I support relocating the community center.

I think BC's shardul was on that show.. lol.. that Mollah from England was hilarious. But sadly what's funny to us may not be so for other people.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video...ylist=11789418

11:00 amjam choudry. You believe this guy.. haha.. where they found this guy?
Old October 3, 2010, 06:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

He could be British Bangladeshi. Last name was spelt choudry and not chaudry like the pakistani or indian Chaudrys.

My reaction was the same.. who the hell is this clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

Old October 3, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

what the heck !!!!! this amjam called himself as "pure muslim" !??? we are being colored only because of these people who just love to misinterpret Quran for their own party.
Old October 3, 2010, 10:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Thanks for the link. You can see the contrast. Reza from Amsterdam is sooo chill (lol i wonder why?) while...sigh...on the other hand we got a zealous Choudry from England. At any rate, the start just p.o.ed me. "Welcome home?"

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
Cricket Sage

this guys is a pure clown
Old October 4, 2010, 12:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Loved the Mother, who lost her daughter in 9/11. She came across as really passionate and eloquent. I really admired her courage and open mindedness. Daisy was OK, but other lady did not bring in much to the conversation.

Someone like Reza Aslam should have been present at the studio to present an effective counter weight to the fear mongers at the debate and clear up misconceptions about Islam. The Imam from TN did not do a good job.

Many parts of the debate was heavily edited and made some answers looked incomplete. Also, I wish the FBI guy talked in numbers to highlight how blown up this issue really is...
Old October 4, 2010, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

I think one point raised by the fear mongers was correct. If the koran burning took place by that crazy pastor at florida... most likely, there would have been some violence in some islamic countries. You can blame the pastor for inciting the mob by his actions, but don't rioters deserve majority of the blame for committing violence.
Old October 4, 2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
but don't rioters deserve majority of the blame for committing violence.
Yeah they do. As the republican ex-pres candidate Bauer said, it wouldve been excuse for rioting and violence. And Daisy Khan made the point too that it was the Evangelical church that stepped in to give weight to stopping the pastor from burning a koran.

I doubt Al Qaeda and the like would stop doing their terrorist acts even if the head imam of Mecca sharif, along with his congregation vocally oppose their form of Jihad. Even then it would be labelled as the Kingdom's forced attempt to appease their US masters. There'd be plenty of Anjem Choudrys to provide the ideological impetus for the terrorists. Quite a Catch-22.
Old October 4, 2010, 08:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I liked what the lady said at the end (who lost her daughter). You are punishing people before they commit any crime. This shouldn't happen in my america... what a wonderful and thought full quote...

This is why I came to us. I had job in germany left it for USA. and always wonder if i did the right thing as economy went down in USA and still not earning what I was given in germany. but I think I found why i didn't wanted to stay in Germany and rather live in USA...

BTW i have a question to those Pro Islamo phobics...
They are saying we shouldn't build masques cause there are proof that historically we blow our selves and go to ZIHAD!!!!

so here is my question we know historically a lot of Priests molest children and have been doing that for long long time and still doing that. should we stop building churches then?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old October 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

btw we need to issue a fatwa to that British imam. he should be banned from traveling Bangladesh and USA.. And UK should look into his activities.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old October 4, 2010, 09:14 AM

btw, Ayaan Hirsi Ali pisses me off. "Playing the victim"?? wtf? And what the heck has she been doing all her life?
Old October 4, 2010, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Discussion din't really go anywhere. However, as akabr77 said, that lady Donna sorta summed up the solution. Criminals become so only after committing it and not before. So regardless of how deep the emotional (albeit wrongly directed) aspects relevant to it are, the Islamophobes' demands about the centre are not justifiable.
Old October 5, 2010, 03:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Colbert had a segment about this on monday's show
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
The Word - It's a Small-Minded World
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionMarch to Keep Fear Alive
Old October 5, 2010, 07:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Good find, Ammar...wasn't aware of this.

Btw, Ammar, not sure if you know, but I went to undergrad in Murfreesboro...and that now "world-famous" masjid was the one i used to attend.

never thought it would hog up local news headlines, let alone national and global ones!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
btw, Ayaan Hirsi Ali pisses me off. "Playing the victim"?? wtf? And what the heck has she been doing all her life?
i have absolute and total sympathy for what happened to her (genital mutilation and forced marriage to her cousin), and while i disagree with her 200% intellectually dishonest slander campaign against Islam, at the end of the day she is a person who has undergone severe psychological trauma and hence this perhaps mitigates her BS.

people like geert van wilders has no excuse however.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 26, 2010, 03:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Tony Blair's sister-in-law converts to Islam

Tony Blair's sister-in-law has converted to Islam after having what she describes as a "holy experience" during a visit to Iran.

Journalist and broadcaster Lauren Booth, 43 – Cherie Blair's sister – now wears a hijab whenever she leaves her home, prays five times a day and visits her local mosque whenever she can.

She decided to become a Muslim six weeks ago after visiting the shrine of Fatima al-Masumeh in the city of Qom.

"It was a Tuesday evening and I sat down and felt this shot of spiritual morphine, just absolute bliss and joy," she said in an interview today.

When she returned to Britain, she decided to convert immediately.

Booth – who works for Press TV, the English-language Iranian news channel – has stopped eating pork and reads the Qur'an every day. She is currently on page 60.

Booth has stopped drinking alcohol and says she has not wanted to drink since converting.

Before her spiritual awakening in Iran, she had been "sympathetic" to Islam and has spent considerable time working in Palestine, she said, adding that she hoped her conversion would help Blair change his presumptions about Islam.
Old October 26, 2010, 07:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Old October 28, 2010, 07:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Ever since this whole islamic center bruhaha got started, I had a simple question that no one has really answered for me. I was wondering whether anyone here had the same question or could answer it for me:

Instead of an Islamic Center, why couldn't there be simple monument sans any religious influence be built instead? After all, people of all religious denominations died in the attacks, so it doesn't quite make sense for me to have a center for one religion only. Instead of calling it an "Islamic" center, can we not just call it Memorial for 9/11 victims or something? Why bring (any) religion into it?

P.S I visited the existing 9/11 memorial this summer but that seems awfully small compared to the proposed center. perhaps we should focus on the existing memorial itself and make it all the more open to people from all kinds of belief systems who are unified in their attempts to honor the fallen?
Old October 28, 2010, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Because the two are unrelated. Only the craven righteous right-wingers and their prejudice have conflated a center with a prayer space many blocks away from ground zero into an insidious 5th-column of towel heads hell bent on imposing the sharia in the US and take away our freedoms away. I am 100% American* and I am 100% anti-religious but this so-called ground zero mosque controversy makes me angry because these tea-baggers abase and besmirch the very principles that form the foundation of this country.

We _are_ focusing on the proposed memorial and will make it a lasting symbol of our nation and our resilience in the face of evil. And that there is place many hundred yards away where Muslims pray, or that there is a place much closer where scantily clad women gyrate to music has nothing to do with the memorial and our memories of the fallen. That is what makes our country great. The Palins, o Reillys and the Becks do not. Let us not all buy into the hate and propaganda.

By the way, for those Americans amongst us, do go out and vote before November 2nd. There is still much that needs to be changed. It is something we can and I do believe in.

PS.

My other 100% is all Bangladeshi

Last edited by Zunaid; October 28, 2010 at 08:45 AM..
Old October 28, 2010, 09:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

You've totally lost me here, how is this unrelated? Why have competing centers of honor when one that is trying to be as much "universal" as possible would/should suffice? Why bring religion unless you want to create a jewish center, a muslim center, a hindu center, an atheist center etc?

There is a muktijuddha memorial center in dhaka where I go time to time to learn more about the liberation war and the atrocities committed during event.It's the biggest and most authoritative source of info and great place to pay your respects. I havent seen a muslim or a hindu muktijuddho jadughor although hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshi hindus died during the war as well.

Let's take religion out of this. But i guess its way too politicized for that already as it has become an us vs them battle.

For the record, it's not only right wingers and islamophobes who are perplexed by this center, and I have also seen many devout christians who are for this center as well.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

The center does not did not claim to be a "center of honor" for commemoration of the events 9/11. So I am perplexed as to why this is relevant. I could least care if there is a Muslim center or a Jewish Center or a titty bar within a few blocks of the memorial.