facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 31, 2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default Bengal Tiger Cub Rescued From Drug Smugglers

Bengal Tiger Cub Rescued From Drug Smugglers

"A four-month-old Bengal tiger rescued by U.S. Border Patrol agents in Laredo has a new home in North Texas.
The tiger, named Smuggler, now makes his home at In-Sync Exotics Wildlife Rescue and Education Center in the Collin County town of Wylie.

watch video: http://cbs2.com/video/?id=131093@kcbs.dayport.com

Border Patrol agents rescued the tiger cub when alleged drug smugglers threw his crate onto the US side of the border to divert agents' attention, according to an In-Sync press release.

When Smuggler was found, had been declawed, neutered, but was in reasonably good health. He was introduced to the Tiger Country Playground and In-Sync reports he had a great time.
He's now one of 45 exotic cats, including rare white lions, a white tiger, as well as leopards, cougars and a lynx, calling In-Sync home".

Source: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-89124332.html

Last edited by Peace; March 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old March 31, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Florida and Texas holds more Bengal tigers than Sunderban. Not surprized.
Old March 31, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Florida and Texas holds more Bengal tigers than Sunderban. Not surprized.

Taken from which part, ours or Indian part?
Old March 31, 2010, 01:17 PM

neutered? Thats tough!
Old March 31, 2010, 01:46 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
neutered? Thats tough!
I know right? We all know that the tigers are an endangered species and should try to attempt every possible way to repopulate them. Yet we neutered the poor fella.

And then we got someone like Orphy, who in his lifetime will have 5-6 children and let's not forget the illegitimate affairs with all those Kajer Buas... Such a cruel world.

About the cub, I do hope that it will be sent back to it's natural habitat eventually. Although the odds of that happening are quite slim. Such majestic creatures should not be locked up in it's cage for the remainder of it's life.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
I know right? We all know that the tigers are an endangered species and should try to attempt every possible way to repopulate them. Yet we neutered the poor fella.

And then we got someone like Orphy, who in his lifetime will have 5-6 children and let's not forget the illegitimate affairs with all those Kajer Buas... Such a cruel world.

About the cub, I do hope that it will be sent back to it's natural habitat eventually. Although the odds of that happening are quite slim. Such majestic creatures should not be locked up in it's cage for the remainder of it's life.
Tonoy da, you are absolutely right on those, but remember the criminal drug smuglers had the cub neutered and declawed in the first place, the sanctuary or the DEA didn't. Actually the cub's only chance of survival is in a santuary like the one he calls home now in TX. Because he has been declawed he has zero survival chance in the wild/his own natural habitat. And also when you let him grow a bit and take care of him in a sanctuary, and then let him out in the wild, he also won't have any natural knowledge of how to feed himself, hunt vigorously or take care, fend for himself as he needed to learn those things from his mother in the first 3-12 months, and when he was rescued/saved/found he was only 4 months old, probably never been weened or nursed by mom. I am so glad he is saved, but I very much agree with you Tonoy da, seeing any of these majestic animal in a cage, limited space in a zoo pains me very much. But he is in a sanctuary, so he gets to raom a bit, which is good and better than a zoo.

About zoos, I have mixed feeling about them, I see zoos as a prison where all those wild animals are kept in a controled/limited space against their will. But I also realize the importance that zoos as these intitutions let children and average people (who can't afford to go to a safari/Africa/Amazon or visit the Sundarban) see these animals that they otherwise wouldn't have seen and wouldn't probably relate to or feel for or learn to love them as well. So it puts me in a dilemma but I now started to accept the need for proper, healthy, humane existence of zoos.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu

Does it really matter? All in captivity though. Pet cats chained.
Old April 1, 2010, 02:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Does it really matter? All in captivity though. Pet cats chained.
Matters Mijan bhai. We have very few Bengal tires in BD part. If these smugglers are taking from our part it's going to be zero within very short time.
Old April 1, 2010, 10:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Auntu, do you know if the border fence extends to the Sundarbans? Otherwise the tigers should be able to go back and forth quite easily.
Old April 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Auntu, do you know if the border fence extends to the Sundarbans? Otherwise the tigers should be able to go back and forth quite easily.
no fence in sunderbans. btw I'm not sure this is a bengal tiger, the coat looks very much like a siberian tiger to me. bengal tigers are darker with deeper stripes.

Quote:

neither I would say. while poaching and skin collecting goes on rampantly, it's very difficult to smuggle out a live animal, I don't know of a single case that happened in India. I would guess it's similar in BD.

most tiger cubs as pets originate from breeding in US itself and the rest from SE asia, thailand, indonesia etc.
Old April 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Yeah Auntu da, as Neel da said, that 4 months old boy wasn't taken from from the great Sunderban (BD or India), if he really was born in the wild in our Sundarban (India or Bangladesh) he would be looking a bit different (maybe, I am not sure). He was probably or more than likely bred in the U.S. or Mexico or Equador or some other countries closeby. Also he does look a bit Sumatran or even Siberian. Probably mixed and might have some Bengal in him.
Old April 1, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

You tiger experts are all wrong. That bad boy is clearly Sumatran.
Old April 1, 2010, 02:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Hehehehe...Beamer dada, that's what I just said too....You and I are brainy and smart...because you and I eat chagoler goo and khorgosher goo...hehehehehe!
Old April 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I ate it by accident. But you, BK bhai , have a stable of khorgoosh at home for that purpose.
Old April 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

BK dada, substitute for hozmi I presume ?
Old April 1, 2010, 03:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I ate it by accident. But you, BK bhai , have a stable of khorgoosh at home for that purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
BK dada, substitute for hozmi I presume ?
Heheheh..na na dadas, bhool kore kheye felechilam, bhebechilaam brown M&M chocolate....ooohhh bhoolte parini aar...
Old April 1, 2010, 03:58 PM
Cricket Legend

BK dada, kemon khete ?

Quote:
Matters Mijan bhai. We have very few Bengal tires in BD part. If these smugglers are taking from our part it's going to be zero within very short time.
you think the tigers care for border regulations ?
Old April 4, 2010, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

http://www.hindustantimes.com/rssfee...e1-524146.aspx

India, Bangladesh join hands for Sunderbans
Chetan Chauhan, Hindustan Times

India and Bangladesh will launch a joint programme, the first such in South Asia, to save the Sunderbans from the onslaught of climate change.

Sunderbans, a world heritage site, is spread over 10,000 km in the two countries, and is home to several hundred tigers and half of rare mangrove varieties found in India, has been facing the risk of disappearance because of climate change induced rising sea levels.

“There will be a joint forum between India and Bangladesh for protection of Sunderbans ecosystem that spreads from India to Bangladesh,” Environment and Forest Minister Jairam Ramesh said.

Ramesh and his Bangladeshi counterpart Dr Hasan Mahmud will launch the joint programme in Kolkata next week, during which officials from the two countries will work out details of the programme. “They (forest officials) will work in close coordination to conserve the fragile ecosystem of the Sunderbans,” Ramesh said.

According to ministry officials, the two countries would work on conducting a joint census of tigers in the Sunderbans, 60 per cent of which are in Bangladesh. “As tigers migrate from India into Bangladesh and vice-versa, correct estimation of population may not be possible without a coordinated effort,” an official said. Indian Sunderbans have 60-70 tigers. Another area of cooperation is adaptation to climate change.

Although lakhs of villagers have built embankments against the rising seas, at least five islands are reported to have been submerged in the last 20 years. The latest is New Moore, whose submergence was confirmed by Jadavpur University through satellite imagery this week. The university’s head of oceanography department Sugata Hazra said the disappearance of the island shows how climate can affect everyone beyond geographical boundaries.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:53 AM
Cricket Guru

^^^ Good to know positive initiatives are taking part. There should not be any politics regarding Shundarban. We all need this forest irrespective of Bangladeshi or Indian.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:51 AM

Default Tigers in Peril in Bangladesh

Tigers in Peril in Bangladesh: Video Report from Al Jazeera

I felt sad watching this. The tigers dont have many days left in the Sundarbans. If you cant change their mindset about smacking tigers in the face with an axe, then all hope for conservation is lost.

Old May 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We should send all the tigers to the US. They will live a much better life over there than in Bhangadesh.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

this was sad indeed. But I understand the villagers anger/emotions to club the tigers to death when they come inside villages, but I was more shocked to learn that a tiger was clubbed to death last year with the forest officers standing there helpless. They tried to convince the villagers not to kill the animal, but couldnt do anything themselves as the tranquilizer gun/bullets they had was old and wont work (!!!).

I cant think of a second place in entire Bangladesh where you'll need a functional tranquilizer gun other than in the forest dept of Sunderban. I feel like donating some money to buy them a new one. As far as I remember, the officers procrastinated the 'clubbing to death' till evening, at which point the villagers simply got more desperate and killed the tiger (maybe expressed their dissatisfaction on the forest dept/govt on the poor creature). sigh.... and I am sure nothing nothing has changed since this happened....