facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old June 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Who wastes this much time on a Golf course? Are you fat, ultra rich, old and utterly bored? I am getting the hives just thinking about it.
Not a sensible comment on, time, from a cric fan on a cric site, really. Where cric was born for playing sunrise to sunset for five days consecutively !! If you just add up the break times between a cric match you are through with 9 holes, half way. "Jare dekhte nari taar chalan Baka" ?? Not Really ??

I am a handsome straight man, Arnab.

I somehow feel that you are going to learn it soon. Best wishes

Old June 21, 2008, 02:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Is that true? Not surprised really. The price of playing on a course in one of the Far Eastern countries are astronomical. Its probably cheaper to fly in to Chittagong, play a few rounds, stay in a hotel - then playing for a few hours in any course in Japan or Korea, who are ardent golfers. I know for a fact that people from those countries fly into Malaysia or Thailand just a play a few rounds to save money. Not surprised at all. We really need a few good courses with 5 star hotels in Cox's Bazar.
Exactly. And the popularity of golfing holidays are rising rapidly. Golf is such a game, the more courses you play, more you improve as a golfer. Since no two courses are same. Makes it more interesting to the golfers. Infact if you have a golf course you will find people making their way, any how.

We had a course in Cox's Bazar beside 'Shoibal', that was under porjoton corporation. They ruined it without maintenance. Last time I saw it in 2004 & unless someone tells you, it is hard to identify as a course. But We have a good number of courses in BD now.

If you want to take golf as a profession, it's costly. As it is in Tennis. But for weekend golfing or holiday golfing or after work golfing, it's not so costly. I mean any mid level executive in BD, Ind, pak working in a MNC can afford it.

UAE is developing a number of courses and all the elites including TW is busy designing courses in UAE. The cost is affordable. Now a days, golf is being played even under flood lights in many places. Demand is such.

Last edited by BANFAN; June 21, 2008 at 04:24 AM..
Old June 22, 2008, 11:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Not a sensible comment on, time, from a cric fan on a cric site, really. Where cric was born for playing sunrise to sunset for five days consecutively !! If you just add up the break times between a cric match you are through with 9 holes, half way.
Not really. Remember that I originally compared gold with test cricket and said that golf is even more boring than test cricket.

At least in test cricket, you get fast bowlers, bouncers and bloody noses. Where's the action in golf? It's so exciting. Chip the ball, walk leisurely, chip the ball, walk leisurely, roll the ball in the hole, walk....I am getting old by just thinking about it.
Old June 23, 2008, 12:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Not really. Remember that I originally compared gold with test cricket and said that golf is even more boring than test cricket.

At least in test cricket, you get fast bowlers, bouncers and bloody noses. Where's the action in golf? It's so exciting. Chip the ball, walk leisurely, chip the ball, walk leisurely, roll the ball in the hole, walk....I am getting old by just thinking about it.
And on top of that, if a certain idol gets a boo boo on his knee and manages to win with that, he is glorified among the talking heads as the second coming of "Alexander the Great". No athlete will sit an entire years worth of time with that type of injury. Hockey and Football players play with injuries worse than that. Yet, he has the nerve to put down hockey as a sport. He couldn't carry Ryan Malones jockstraps.
Old June 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
And on top of that, if a certain idol gets a boo boo on his knee and manages to win with that, he is glorified among the talking heads as the second coming of "Alexander the Great". No athlete will sit an entire years worth of time with that type of injury. Hockey and Football players play with injuries worse than that. Yet, he has the nerve to put down hockey as a sport. He couldn't carry Ryan Malones jockstraps.
Tiger Woods' comment about hockey assured that the canadian ritual of sterotyping americans as clueless and ignorant of hockey lives on. In a recent interview however, TW shed light on his earlier statement about hockey by explaining to the fans that he doesn't like watching hockey on tv and would much rather watch it live in an arena. Beams, TW may not like hockey but there's no doubt that he's tough as a nail. His physique is typical of a football player than a golfer. There's a general consensus among sports journalists that he could have easily excelled at sports like basketball and baseball if he decided to pursue either as a career. As much as the NHL would like to see NHL become more popular in the US, it is all but established that hockey will never attract a large audience because unfortunately, most americans share TW's original views about hockey. To my utter displeasure, I have to credit for winning the major because his achievement was phenomenal. He managed to win the US open, arguably golf's hardest major, playing 90 holes, on one functionning knee. My own reply to his hockey views can be summarized by a hockey show anchor's joke, "Golf is boring, except when he's playing". He'll grow to love the sport once he sees Stamkos in action. He can easily do that as he lives in Palm Beach Florida.
Old June 24, 2008, 04:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Golf is not a team game. So it won't be action packed like that. more over golf is more a game of skills rather than strength. Yet the T shots and the long distance Iron shots involve a lots of physio dynamic aspects along side skills.

What you are talking is the short game, chipping and putting, that is completely dependant on skill and reading the conditions. In test cricket also, there are many dull moments, it's not always packed with action.

Thing is, that if someone doesn't know the game, don't really enjoy it. However action packed it is. If you learn to play Golf, definitely you will find it more meaningful and enjoyable.
Old June 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Golf is not a team game. ...
Arguing with someone who clearly takes pleasure just making silly comments makes you as bad as me. So learn from my mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The debate ends here. I am a fool indeed.
Old June 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Tiger Woods' comment about hockey assured that the canadian ritual of sterotyping americans as clueless and ignorant of hockey lives on. In a recent interview however, TW shed light on his earlier statement about hockey by explaining to the fans that he doesn't like watching hockey on tv and would much rather watch it live in an arena. Beams, TW may not like hockey but there's no doubt that he's tough as a nail. His physique is typical of a football player than a golfer. There's a general consensus among sports journalists that he could have easily excelled at sports like basketball and baseball if he decided to pursue either as a career. As much as the NHL would like to see NHL become more popular in the US, it is all but established that hockey will never attract a large audience because unfortunately, most americans share TW's original views about hockey. To my utter displeasure, I have to credit for winning the major because his achievement was phenomenal. He managed to win the US open, arguably golf's hardest major, playing 90 holes, on one functionning knee. My own reply to his hockey views can be summarized by a hockey show anchor's joke, "Golf is boring, except when he's playing". He'll grow to love the sport once he sees Stamkos in action. He can easily do that as he lives in Palm Beach Florida.
IC

You can't paint all Americans with such broad brush. There are many areas, cities, states etc where hockey has a very stronghold. I live in one such city and it includes Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Mass etc. But, generally, specially in the sun belt areas, it is yet to gain any momentum. Its not their fault. They never grew up around hockey. How could it be? You need the element of nature to cooperate.

TW is a phenomenal golpher. Probably the best that has ever played. He certainly will be when he is all done with his career. However, TW the person, who rarely engages himself unless dollar bills are involved, should not be worshiped the way the media does it. He has consistently shied away from every social engagement that many think he should because of who he is. TW and his PR machine are only interested when money is involved. I respect his game. But, if there was ever a numero uno media slut, he is that, by a mile.

He only retracted his comment after the media backlush. Believe me, he meant what he said. If you don't like it, don't say anything at all, or just make a positive comment. He just showed his contempt for the sport and millions of fans who enjoy it. He is tough, if you compare him to the other golphers, and physically, he is way superior without a doubt, considering among the pot bellies and senior citizens that masqeurade as athletes.

Watching Stamkos? Good luck with that. What do you think of Barry Melrose as their new coach?
Old June 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Arguing with someone who clearly takes pleasure just making silly comments makes you as bad as me. So learn from my mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye: The debate ends here. I am a fool indeed.
I thought he was serious !!!

Pass Arnab

Old June 24, 2008, 01:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
if you compare him to the other golphers, and physically, he is way superior without a doubt, considering among the pot bellies and senior citizens that masqeurade as athletes.
Haha. Beams, even the golfers workout nowadays. In fact if you look at the new crop of players they are all physically fit. Not too many John Dalys out there anymore.

Quote:
What do you think of Barry Melrose as their new coach?
Barry Melrose is a good choice but I expected to see someone who had been recently fired. Melrose has not coached for many years so he'll be under lot of media scrutiny. I am sure he'll know how to deal with it since he's been part of the media for such a long time. TB management folks could have gone after someone like Pat Burns or Pat Quinn. Both enjoyed success no matter where they coached.

Last edited by Ishtylish cricketer; June 24, 2008 at 03:21 PM..
Old August 7, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Default 2008 - PGA Championship

Robert Karlsson is the early leader at -4.

Furyk (-2) is second starting at back nine. Back nine seems to give trouble to most. Garcia is at -1. Choi is at +4. Westwood at +5, Mickelson, Love III all at +2.

Anthony Kim the rookie should make some noise.
Old August 10, 2008, 04:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Come on Sergio! 9 Holes from getting the monkey of your back
Old August 12, 2008, 01:41 PM
Cricket Savant

The ghost is still haunting Garcia. Best player yet to win a major. Paven, Duval, Mickelson all were labled with the title once. 4 holes to go a lead with one shot at a Major and no Tiger on the field. What more can he ask for?

Anywho, Congrats to Harrington. Now Tiger's best player of the year title is in jeoperdy. Harrington with two majors should get the title no matter what.
Old August 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The ghost is still haunting Garcia. Best player yet to win a major. Paven, Duval, Mickelson all were labled with the title once. 4 holes to go a lead with one shot at a Major and no Tiger on the field. What more can he ask for?

Anywho, Congrats to Harrington. Now Tiger's best player of the year title is in jeoperdy. Harrington with two majors should get the title no matter what.
A nearly 40 year old white Irish guy wins a golf major. Everything is back to normal in golf. Thank god.

In Tiger's absence Ratings dropped dramatically for the PGA, proving that it's Tiger that interests the American public, not golf. Americans love their own freaks. But when the freak isn't playing, they don't really care.
Old August 12, 2008, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Thing is, that if someone doesn't know the game, don't really enjoy it. However action packed it is. If you learn to play Golf, definitely you will find it more meaningful and enjoyable.
Sure, but the same thing can be said about sewing wool cardigans for little grandkids. The grandmas really like dong that kinda thing. Once they learn, I am sure they like it a lot. And remember, it requires quite a lot of skills and obviously, pinpoint concentration.
Old August 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Sure, but the same thing can be said about sewing wool cardigans for little grandkids. The grandmas really like dong that kinda thing. Once they learn, I am sure they like it a lot. And remember, it requires quite a lot of skills and obviously, pinpoint concentration.
lol, my mom can do that without even looking at the cloth. with one krush. while doing anything and everything at the same time. That is your pinpoint concentration. So let me know when you are ready to take a lesson from her. I can arrange that by just one phone call. She would gladly teach you for free.
Old August 13, 2008, 10:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
A nearly 40 year old white Irish guy wins a golf major. Everything is back to normal in golf. Thank god.

In Tiger's absence Ratings dropped dramatically for the PGA, proving that it's Tiger that interests the American public, not golf. Americans love their own freaks. But when the freak isn't playing, they don't really care.
30s are the best years for golfers. That is when they tend to know their own game, courses and how to play on those courses. Vijay is an exception. You need a successful iconic player to support that sport. Tell me how many football players you know in current BD national team? Does it even interest you?

Players, sportsmen like Ali, Viv, Jordan, Jahangir khan etc. are people who makes fans want to watch/follow the sports. Tiger is no exception.

Dear Arnab,
Americans are human you know. Same species like you, created by the same god who created you. Love them, forgive them for their mistakes (when you are on the top) and you will be loved and forgiven.
Old August 13, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
30s are the best years for golfers. That is when they tend to know their own game, courses and how to play on those courses. Vijay is an exception. You need a successful iconic player to support that sport. Tell me how many football players you know in current BD national team? Does it even interest you?
Not sure I follow. Tiger is certainly an iconic player in his game. But golf is not a sport. It requires a lot of golf-specific skills though.

Quote:
Players, sportsmen like Ali, Viv, Jordan, Jahangir khan etc. are people who makes fans want to watch/follow the sports. Tiger is no exception.
Well, Tiger is a big exception in the sense he plays golf, which is not a sport. Ali had to endure the biggest punches, Pele had to endure the roughest of tackles, Jahangir to had to bend and lunge forwards, backwards, and sideways and fall hard on the hard squash floor thousands of times to make crucial split-second shots.

Tiger? He puts a white ball in a hole and pump fists as if he KOed somebody twice his size, or dunked from the 3-point line. I am sorry, but it's hilarious. Tiger plays an old white man's boring sport. Toothy smiles and showoff fist pumps are not going to alter that fact.

Quote:
Dear Arnab,
Americans are human you know. Same species like you, created by the same god who created you. Love them, forgive them for their mistakes (when you are on the top) and you will be loved and forgiven.
? I like Americans. They are flawed creatures living in their own deluded universe, just like all other nations in the world.

Last edited by Arnab; August 13, 2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old August 13, 2008, 06:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
lol, my mom can do that without even looking at the cloth. with one krush. while doing anything and everything at the same time. That is your pinpoint concentration. So let me know when you are ready to take a lesson from her. I can arrange that by just one phone call. She would gladly teach you for free.
Ok, how about the workers in the tangail tater shari kutir? If Tiger Woods can get millions of dollars for putting a little white ball in a hole, which is just about the world's most boring game to watch, then surely these poor souls deserve hundreds of thousands of dollars?
Old September 19, 2008, 08:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Default Ryder Cup 2008

Anyone here follow Ryder Cup. US took a big lead today 5.5 to 2.5.
Old September 19, 2008, 09:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Anyone here follow Ryder Cup. US took a big lead today 5.5 to 2.5.
Yeah I am following it. I think the US will win it finally this year, because no one is giving us any chance. This will inspire the Americans to actually take it seriously.
Old September 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Wait, until it's over. US team is never serious with this event. Europe might turn it over again.
Old September 20, 2008, 11:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Wait, until it's over. US team is never serious with this event. Europe might turn it over again.
Are you sure. I don't follow golf that much but from what I hear from news they are quite serious about it.
Old September 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Are you sure. I don't follow golf that much but from what I hear from news they are quite serious about it.
Record wise USA has a better record.

I am talking about the Tiger Era, probably it is more attributeable to tiger, than the US team as a whole. But Tiger's poor run in this cup affected the US performance as well.

Between 1959-83, US has won all 13 times at a stretch & since 1985 till 2006, US has won only 3 times while Europe has won 8 times. infact since 1995, US has own only once out of 6 times.

* Europe started competing from 1979, till then it was GB
Old September 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
Cricket Sage

One good thing for the US team is that, Tiger isn't playing this time.