facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
I honestly like watching Mash and Nazmul opening because even though they don't have much pace, they can actually kee it tight and dry up the runs. That combo with our spin attack is great. Shafiul and Rubel have very good records against in our G8 wins but have consistency issues and once they don't click, they look ugly
yes keeping it tight is always good to see. we need to find some corridor bowlers. i really think atm the selectors should be looking for the mcgrath/pollock type bowlers who keep a consistent line and length on off stump or just outside, the other type of bowlers they should be looking for are kulesakara and B.Kumar type bowlers who can swing it a lot.

i don't mind the selectors trying to find a decent bowler with pace, but a pace attack needs a variety of bowlers. keep rubel and abul around as the "fast" bowler, but please find some swing/seam/corridor bowlers as well so the attack has good variety.

i'm thinking an attack such as mash/nazmul with a rasel/sajidul and a rubel would be ok. or 2 of mash/nazmul type bowlers and a sajidul/rasel or a rubel would be ok. but an attack of rubel, abul and shahadat is no good, they're basically the same type of bowler trying to do the same thing all the time and none of them are consistent enough.

by all means take a "fast" bowler into a 3 man pace attack but the other 2 should consist of at least one corridor bowler and the 3rd place can go to either another corridor bowler or a swing bowler.

Old March 24, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I liked that partnership as well. kept it tight and the combo of Mash's seam bowling with Rasel's swing bowling was a treat to watch. a shame that Rasel has faded away. Honestly like watching Mash and Nazmul opening alsobecause even though they don't have much pace, they can actually keep it tight and dry up the runs. That combo with our spin attack is great. Shafiul and Rubel have very good records against in our G8 wins but have consistency issues and once they don't click, they look ugly
i honestly wouldn't mind giving rasel another chance in ODIs and if he does well there give him ago in tests. i know he hasn't done much domestically as of late but this is where we are at with pacers. of course there are guys like sajidul or kazi kamrul or even babu who could be tried. i don't get why the selectors have to keep going back to shahadat, his experience is irrelevant, he's not performing and hasn't performed for a very long time, try someone else. i understand rubel being kept around because he still has his weapons and has shown improvement in tests lately and has improved a lot in ODIs before his injury and pushed his average to an acceptable one (in ODIs).
Old March 24, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
yes keeping it tight is always good to see. we need to find some corridor bowlers. i really think atm the selectors should be looking for the mcgrath/pollock type bowlers who keep a consistent line and length on off stump or just outside, the other type of bowlers they should be looking for are kulesakara and B.Kumar type bowlers who can swing it a lot.

i don't mind the selectors trying to find a decent bowler with pace, but a pace attack needs a variety of bowlers. keep rubel and abul around as the "fast" bowler, but please find some swing/seam/corridor bowlers as well so the attack has good variety.

i'm thinking an attack such as mash/nazmul with a rasel/sajidul and a rubel would be ok. or 2 of mash/nazmul type bowlers and a sajidul/rasel or a rubel would be ok. but an attack of rubel, abul and shahadat is no good, they're basically the same type of bowler trying to do the same thing all the time and none of them are consistent enough.

by all means take a "fast" bowler into a 3 man pace attack but the other 2 should consist of at least one corridor bowler and the 3rd place can go to either another corridor bowler or a swing bowler.
Good point but question is do we have that variety in our pace stock? I wasn't too impressed with any of our pacers really. They all seem really raw.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
i honestly wouldn't mind giving rasel another chance in ODIs and if he does well there give him ago in tests. i know he hasn't done much domestically as of late but this is where we are at with pacers. of course there are guys like sajidul or kazi kamrul or even babu who could be tried. i don't get why the selectors have to keep going back to shahadat, his experience is irrelevant, he's not performing and hasn't performed for a very long time, try someone else. i understand rubel being kept around because he still has his weapons and has shown improvement in tests lately and has improved a lot in ODIs before his injury and pushed his average to an acceptable one (in ODIs).
Rasel looks a different bowler unfortunately and hasn't been the same since.

I think Kamrul Rabbi should be given a chance. Coach Ian rated him highly.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Good point but question is do we have that variety in our pace stock? I wasn't too impressed with any of our pacers really. They all seem really raw.
yes they are all pretty raw but sticking with rubel, abul and shahadat is putting your eggs all in one basket. they're all the same type of bowler. why not try and invest some time into corridor and swing bowlers as well?

by all means continue to try and develop rubel, abul and maybe kamrul for their pace but you don't need 3 types of one bowler in the same attack, especially when it's been failing for quite awhile.

this is going from memory but i'd say BD's best pace bowlers in ODIs to date have been mash, rasel, nazmul and rubel. only one of them has that pace factor the others are all a bit slower and work more on line and length and some swing/seam.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Rasel looks a different bowler unfortunately and hasn't been the same since.

I think Kamrul Rabbi should be given a chance. Coach Ian rated him highly.
didn't he get a shoulder injury and then siddons wasn't a fan of him and it was all downhill from their. got a 4fer in one of his recent FC matches though.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:44 PM
Cricket Guru

the selectors have made it pretty clear that rubel, abul and shahadat are the ones they want to keep around. i have 2 main issues with this, one of those issues being they're only really trying to develop 3 bowlers, the 2nd issue is those 3 bowlers are all the same type.

they should be trying to develop 6-8 pace bowlers of various different skillsets.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
didn't he get a shoulder injury and then siddons wasn't a fan of him and it was all downhill from their. got a 4fer in one of his recent FC matches though.
Ya it was various injuries that ruled Rasel out
Old March 24, 2013, 08:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
the selectors have made it pretty clear that rubel, abul and shahadat are the ones they want to keep around. i have 2 main issues with this, one of those issues being they're only really trying to develop 3 bowlers, the 2nd issue is those 3 bowlers are all the same type.

they should be trying to develop 6-8 pace bowlers of various different skillsets.
If only if BCB had a plan for pace development. That's why in the end, even though I get mad at Rubel, Abul, and Shahadat but no matter what, it's not all their fault and the deeper part of the problem lies with BCB for the poor development of our players, especially our pacers.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
If only if BCB had a plan for pace development. That's why in the end, even though I get mad at Rubel, Abul, and Shahadat but no matter what, it's not all their fault and the deeper part of the problem lies with BCB for the poor development of our players, especially our pacers.
yeah they have an obsession for pace and seem to forget about the other options. also i agree give kamrul rabbi a chance, he can take shahadat's place.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
yeah they have an obsession for pace and seem to forget about the other options. also i agree give kamrul rabbi a chance, he can take shahadat's place. a strike rate of 53 in FC is pretty good, average is only 33 but it's not like abul or rubel had any decent FC records when picked up for the national team, 24 for ODIs strike rate 25 is good to.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

we once used to have pacer hunts ...... where we looked for speed stars .....

we now need pacer hunts, but we should look for consistency in line and length and application of basics
Old March 24, 2013, 11:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes correct. No point picking pacers solely based on the speed gun. I spoke to a senior official of a leading bank asking why they are not sponsoring such a hunt. Said previous editions havent yielded the desired result which would justify continuous involvement. Companies are splashing so much on BPL, yet we cant find one responsible party to start this project? And theres no doubt BCB wont start anything on its own.

Remember how Andy Roberts came in and worked with a few pacers like Mashrafee, Talha Jubair. Even those things are not happening. If we cant bring in someone on a full time basis at least bring in someone as a consultant who will participate in scouting, talent development etc.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Yes correct. No point picking pacers solely based on the speed gun. I spoke to a senior official of a leading bank asking why they are not sponsoring such a hunt. Said previous editions havent yielded the desired result which would justify continuous involvement. Companies are splashing so much on BPL, yet we cant find one responsible party to start this project? And theres no doubt BCB wont start anything on its own.

Remember how Andy Roberts came in and worked with a few pacers like Mashrafee, Talha Jubair. Even those things are not happening. If we cant bring in someone on a full time basis at least bring in someone as a consultant who will participate in scouting, talent development etc.
sounds like a dream job.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Here's our ideal seamer:

1) Someone who has the desire to bowl between 135 and 145 through the air with enough control over his line and length to consistently bowl to the field set for him.

-NOBODY YET!

2) Someone willing to work hard on his own to actually do what he desires.

-NOBODY YET!

3) Someone with the ability to learn from coaches and his own shortcomings.

-Rubel and Shuhash under the right coach (Ian Pont).

4) Bonus: Someone tall (6'1" to 6'4"), strong and fit on and off the field. That way he can bend his back and generate bounce and good movement off the seam under the right conditions.

-Koushik, Rajib and Raju.

5) Bonus: Someone capable of swinging the old as well as the new ball.

-Rubel.

6) Bonus: Someone capable of correctly reading a batsman and varying his pace, line and length accordingly.

-NOBODY YET.

7) Bonus: Someone capable of holding the bat and playing valuable cameos as a night watchman or big hitter.

-Koushik and Raju.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 25, 2013 at 03:42 AM..
Old March 25, 2013, 03:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Nasir Hossain should become our version of Paul Collingwood.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
6) Bonus: Someone capable of correctly reading a batsman and vary his pace, line and length accordingly.
I thought Shafiul had potential in this department. Oh well
Old March 25, 2013, 03:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
I thought Shafiul had potential in this department. Oh well
He certainly showed such intelligence in a few spells but not consistently over a a decent number of matches.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Yes our FB department is a concern, specially with some established FB injured and some young talent not yet ready.

But then looking at SL FB today, should they also be concerned. Except for Malinga, here is the rest ....

Kulasekara econ 7.25
Mathews econ 7.80
Perara econ 8.80

ouch.....
Old March 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
Cricket Guru

problem is selectors pick experienced players with poor records or inexperienced players with poor records/out of form. why not get someone still young, but experienced domestically who is currently bowling well?
Old March 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Yes our FB department is a concern, specially with some established FB injured and some young talent not yet ready.

But then looking at SL FB today, should they also be concerned. Except for Malinga, here is the rest ....

Kulasekara econ 7.25
Mathews econ 7.80
Perara econ 8.80

ouch.....
I've always said that looking to SL pacers as role models is nonsensical. We could look to India as they seem to be developing some decent seamers now with the likes of Buvneshwar, Umesh, and Shami.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I don't mind bowlers getting hit if they are trying something and it doesn't work out. Batsman of the calibre of Dilshan or Sanga is bound to hit you on a good pitch. I am more frustrated about how our bowlers bowl in general. They don't beat the bat often enough and as a result never look like getting wickets. I don't see them seaming or swinging the bowl (like how Mash and Naz can get it to inswing sharply at times) and there is a minimum of two loose balls (either short or down the leg) almost every over. I still think Sri Lanka has an effective pace unit. Yes kulasekara was off color but it happens to all cricketers. Even though he got hit, he was moving it both ways and creating chances. Our batsman had to play some great shots to score the boundaries (especially Ash)
Old March 29, 2013, 04:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

where is Dollar Mahmud and Mahbubul Alam Robin ???? Even Robiul may be beter than Shahadat.

i feel shahadat will retain his place in ZIM and will do well
Old March 29, 2013, 09:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Lol wont be surprised if Shahadat is in the Zim tour. Selectors love him.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Lol wont be surprised if Shahadat is in the Zim tour. Selectors love him.
Not only Shahadat, Abul will be there too for sure.