facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 11, 2009, 07:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Shakib Al Hasan vs the greatest all rounders in cricket: a brief comparision

I've looked up the test stats for a number of the greatest all rounders of all time after they'd played their first 14 matches, which is the tally Shakib's career stands at now. Of course Shakib's stats are slightly inflated by the recent series against West Indies' C team, but I'd also suggest that they're definitely also slightly deflated by his being part of the most hapless team in history. Although maybe I'm being charitable.

Shakib Al Hasan: Runs: 715, Ave: 29.79,HS: 96*, 50s: 4,100s: 0,Wkt: 48, Ave: 28.27, Str: 62.3, B/B: 7/36, 5/I: 5, 10/M: 0

Jacques Kallis: Runs: 548, Ave: 24.9, HS: 101, 50s: 2, 100s: 1,Wkt: 13, Ave: 38.3, Str: 95.2, B/B: 3/29, 5/I: 0, 10/M: 0

Garfield Sobers: Runs: 672, Ave: 30.54, HS: 66, 50s: 3, 100s: 0, Wkt: 17, Ave: 41.05, Str: 107.4, B/B: 4/75, 5/I: 0, 10/M: 0

Imran Khan: Runs: 458, Ave: 20.81, HS: 59, 50s: 1, 100s: 0,Wkt: 54, Ave: 34.72, Str: 71.4, B/B: 6/63, 5/I: 3, 10/M: 1

Ian Botham: Runs: 622, Ave: 36.58, HS: 108, 50s: 1, 100s: 3, Wkt: 76, Ave: 18.46, Str: 43.6, B/B: 8/34, 5/I: 8, 10/M: 1

Kapil Dev: Runs: 616, Ave: 36.23, HS: 126*, 50s: 4, 100s: 1, Wkt: 43, Ave: 37.37, Str: 67.1, B/B: 5/146, 5/I: 1, 10/M: 0

Richard Hadlee:Runs: 448, Ave: 21.33, HS: 87, 50s: 1, 100s: 0, Wkt: 50, Ave: 34.54, Str: 58.6, B/B: 7/23, 5/I: 2, 10/M: 1

He's scored more runs than every single player on that list!

His batting average compares favourably to all bar Sobers, Botham and Dev.

He's taken more wickets than everyone other than Khan, Botham and Hadlee.

His bowling average is better than every single player other than Botham.

His bowling strike rate is better than every single player other than Botham and Hadlee.

Looks like our wonderkid doesn't compare too badly at all, does he?

Last edited by Aritro; August 11, 2009 at 08:02 AM..

Old August 11, 2009, 07:42 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Great find bro.loving it.Go sakib Go!
Old August 11, 2009, 08:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Let's just hope and pray to Allah that Shakib can remain consistent and free of injury
Old August 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

great analysis
Old August 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Wow! This is 'a dream comes true' for us.
Nice to see in my life time.
Great, Aritro.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
Let's just hope and pray to Allah that Shakib can remain consistent and free of injury
he is under sooooooooooo much stress we can see it in his face........getting thin
Old August 11, 2009, 10:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

gr8 job done, man!
Our Shakib will surpass some of them, if not all, INSHA-ALLAH
Old August 11, 2009, 10:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Who said Bangladesh doesn't have any star player ("...like Jayasuriya" - comments made by Siddons post T20)?

We have number one all rounder in the world and after today's performance he will be too far away to reach by Mr numb 2.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tendulkar, Ponting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
He is playing with injury. That's not good. But we need him badly at this moment. After this series, we don't have match until december. Right now we just need a fit, performing & match-winner Shakib for one more match.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:10 AM
Club Cricketer

You guys haven't learnt your lesson it seems. Where is the consortium that nick named Ashrfool as a the next tendulkar just because he showed an ability of playing back to back top knocks. All the claims died down quicker than gastrotrich (life span of 3 days). Give your players some time before comparing them with top dogs. Do not overestimate and at the same time do not underestimate.

Shaqib's a amazing find but he has not done anything commendable for him to be compared with top bracket players.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Comparing alongside these greats after only a handful number of games is fun, but not something to be brag on about.

Consistency and longivity is the key.

All those above mentioned names went to play for their country for a long long time and with great consistency at the top most level.

All we can do right now is to hope that morning shows the day.
He can be all he can be but he needs able warriors alongside to have some meaning to those records.
We can compare him after 50 games. Btw, havent he played 50 ODI's already??
How does he fair against them?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 11, 2009, 11:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer
You guys haven't learnt your lesson it seems. Where is the consortium that nick named Ashrfool as a the next tendulkar just because he showed an ability of playing back to back top knocks. All the claims died down quicker than gastrotrich (life span of 3 days). Give your players some time before comparing them with top dogs. Do not overestimate and at the same time do not underestimate.

Shaqib's a amazing find but he has not done anything commendable for him to be compared with top bracket players.
I knew it was a matter of time before someone blew into this thread with this sort of post.

No one, certainly not me, is even entertaining the thought that he's going to turn out to be as great as Sobers or Imran.

All it was intended to be was a fun statistical exercise and it was one which has turned out to be pretty revealing. I certainly didn't realise his record was so evenly matched with the greats until I did, but as I said, I'm not making any hypotheses about the rest of his career that he's unlikely to live up to.

And any comparisions between the hysteria surrounding Shakib and that which surrounded Ashraful is so wide of the mark as to be unworthy of response.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Comparing alongside these greats after only a handful number of games is fun, but not something to be brag on about.

Consistency and longivity is the key.

All those above mentioned names went to play for their country for a long long time and with great consistency at the top most level.

All we can do right now is to hope that morning shows the day.
He can be all he can be but he needs able warriors alongside to have some meaning to those records.
We can compare him after 50 games. Btw, havent he played 50 ODI's already??
How does he fair against them?
I thought about doing a similar comparision for ODIs, but the ODI game has changed so completely between the early days of the format and now that it seemed pointless.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:

You're wrong mate!

He has the potential to become a top bracket player and did more than enough to show his promise. 5 five-fors in 14 Test matches is definitely something signficant. He has to earn those wickets against tough oppositions like SA, Sri Lanka and New Zealand. I am not fully convinced about his Test batting skill, but as a bowler he is one of the best who are operating currently.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I can't just imagine we have a potential 200 wicket taker among our ranks. The batting is just gravy (extra).
Old August 11, 2009, 11:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
I knew it was a matter of time before someone blew into this thread with this sort of post.

No one, certainly not me, is even entertaining the thought that he's going to turn out to be as great as Sobers or Imran.

All it was intended to be was a fun statistical exercise and it was one which has turned out to be pretty revealing. I certainly didn't realise his record was so evenly matched with the greats until I did, but as I said, I'm not making any hypotheses about the rest of his career that he's unlikely to live up to.

And any comparisions between the hysteria surrounding Shakib and that which surrounded Ashraful is so wide of the mark as to be unworthy of response.
Where exactly does the fun lie in when you are making a statistical comparison of a toddler (in terms of cricket played) to the veterans ? And I do not see any "wide gap" between the hysteria surrounding Shakib and Ashrafool as most of the supporters here think that Shakib is the ONLY solution to all the BD problems (...like they thought back in 2005 for Ash).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
You're wrong mate!

He has the potential to become a top bracket player and did more than enough to show his promise. 5 five-fors in 14 Test matches is definitely something signficant. He has to earn those wickets against tough oppositions like SA, Sri Lanka and New Zealand. I am not fully convinced about his Test batting skill, but as a bowler he is one of the best who are operating currently.
When did I deny the fact that Shakib is a fine talent and has the utmost talent to enter into the top most bracket BUT all I am saying is let him prove more as the time passes by for you to make any comparison b/w him and the past legends.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Arrogance will fall soon.

Don't worry Aritro, we know what you meant, thanks for the comparison. Interesting indeed.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Where exactly does the fun lie in when you are making a statistical comparison of a toddler (in terms of cricket played) to the veterans ? ....
Is reading the first sentence that hard? Or arguing just for the sake of arguing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
I've looked up the test stats for a number of the greatest all rounders of all time after they'd played their first 14 matches, which is the tally Shakib's career stands at now.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I can't just imagine we have a potential 200 wicket taker among our ranks. The batting is just gravy (extra).
200 wickets in tests ? I don't think Shakib will do justice to his talent if he does not manage to get anything over 300+ wickets in tests. Over the coming years, BD will only play more test cricket....so higher the chances of him getting that mark + he is only 22
Old August 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Pleasing stats. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever in highlighting it. If anything, it gives him and us a window to see what he is capable of, and also set a barometer for him towards the future to achieve what the greats have done. What's wrong with positive forecast and hope based on concrete data? Not long ago, I saw a stat chart of Dale Steyn, who is also a newcomer, but based on his first year or so and the bagful of wkts that he fetched, he was ahead of the curve of many great fast bowlers at a similar stage of their respective careers. Not a single peep from anyone. Why? He hails from a major cricketing nation. Why the double standard with Sakib?
Old August 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
200 wickets in tests ? I don't think Shakib will do justice to his talent if he does not manage to get anything over 300+ wickets in tests. Over the coming years, BD will only play more test cricket....so higher the chances of him getting that mark + he is only 22
Bhai shahab,
My expectation is lower than yours. What can you do? That is my standard in giving something to the World cricket.

For whatever reason Shoaib Akthar and many WI great bowlers could get to that milestone.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Is reading the first sentence that hard? Or arguing just for the sake of arguing?
Why is it so hard for you to understand what I am trying to say ? THOSE 14 matches did not make then legends and neither will it make Shakib a legend UNLESS he shows consistency. Sreesanth has a better start than Shoaib in test matches but it does not make him any better or lesser than Shoaib UNTIL he proves over the period of years. Stats do mean a lot but twisting them for your gain is quite childish IMO.

All I said was comparing a rookie with past heroes at the earliest stage of his career is quite ludicrous. Nothing against Shakib
Old August 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahela Jayawardene

Why is it all Shakib Shakib Shakib....wat abt rest of the team....guys like rok, Z do not contribute 50% of what he does....I wudn't mind if Shakib takes rest for some time after we (hopefully) win this series!!
Old August 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Where exactly does the fun lie in when you are making a statistical comparison of a toddler (in terms of cricket played) to the veterans ? And I do not see any "wide gap" between the hysteria surrounding Shakib and Ashrafool as most of the supporters here think that Shakib is the ONLY solution to all the BD problems (...like they thought back in 2005 for Ash).
I can't imagine why you've made a point of alluding to the fact that he's only a 'toddler' in comparision to the veterans when the preamble to the post quite clearly states that the stats only show the first 14 games of those veterans' careers.

I also can't imagine why you can't see the fun in an exercise which shows that one of our own lads measures quite creditably against the greats, within what never pruports to be anything other than a limited sample size.

As for the Ash/Shakib comparision, you said this:

Quote:
You guys haven't learnt your lesson it seems. Where is the consortium that nick named Ashrfool as a the next tendulkar just because he showed an ability of playing back to back top knocks.
There is a certainly a wide gap between the enthusiasm surrounding a player who's been world class over a sustained period, and that surrounding a player whom by your own definition only 'showed an ability of playing back to back top knocks'.

You've clarified in your subsequent post that you drew the comparision because 'most of the supporters here think that Shakib is the ONLY solution to all the BD problems (...like they thought back in 2005 for Ash)', but that wasn't clear in your original post.

I guess we'll put that down to misunderstanding.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Why is it so hard for you to understand what I am trying to say ? THOSE 14 matches did not make then legends and neither will it make Shakib a legend UNLESS he shows consistency. Sreesanth has a better start than Shoaib in test matches but it does not make him any better or lesser than Shoaib UNTIL he proves over the period of years. Stats do mean a lot but twisting them for your gain is quite childish IMO.
Of course the only point that can be made here is that no one in this thread has made the prediction that he will become a legend, or at least one to rival the likes of Sobers, Imran and Botham.

Let's just let it go eh? We know the point you were trying to make, but it really didn't need to be made.