facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 20, 2004, 07:18 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Dumini 77th SA player

I heard TV commentators of Ten Sports saying that JP Dumini of South Africa is the 77th South African player playing his debut ODI.

It got me thinking to see how many debutant Bangladeshi players have been playing so far - and I counted the number to be 73 or 74!

And if either of the 3 new players of the current U-19 team playing in England get chance to play in either of the ODIs in the ICC Champions Trophy, then there'll be 76 Bangladeshi players playing in ODI cricket.

But look at the number of ODI matches that these two teams have played so far:

Bangladesh 93 (according to Cricinfo or 95 according to my count)

And South Africa have played in 317 ODI matches.

So what does it tell you?

Old August 20, 2004, 07:32 AM
First BC Member

BD ODI Debutants
Old August 20, 2004, 08:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
... heard TV commentators of Ten Sports saying that JP Dumini of South Africa is the 77th South African player playing his debut ODI.
This needs clarification. There is a huge difference in selection policy, that is between the apartheid era and post apartheid. They have been trying to get more black players in the team which was not the case during the all white era and as such they had a limited but highly talented pool. So now most probably we will see more debutants in SA selection policy.

From the SA persepective, they should get in more debutants but considering what a fuss Ntini's debut was they will go through more friction then was the case before.

As far as BD is concerned I am slightly happy that we have so many debutants. I don't think it reflects something immensely negative about our cricket atmosphere. Or would you prefer less debutants and the same perfortmance as we see now?
Old August 20, 2004, 08:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah

So what does it tell you?
Our population is bigger than SA.
Old August 20, 2004, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah

But look at the number of ODI matches that these two teams have played so far:

Bangladesh 93 (according to Cricinfo or 95 according to my count)

And South Africa have played in 317 ODI matches.
Did you think of time span? At the begining BD plays oneday so rarely that they need at least 5/6 debutant! After getting test status BD does not have too many debutants compare to SA.
Old August 20, 2004, 08:53 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

i think the ban has a lot to do with this. they built a team inside when they could not play. they had changes inside to see what the best team. then with that team, they came to play. and since they got success, they kept that team. well, we did not get success. so, we'd to change. also, when we used to play in asia cup, we got oid debutants a lot since we used to play after a long time, and usually there were changes because of the time gap.
Old August 20, 2004, 09:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Technically BD is a senior ODI playing team than SA. BD made their ODI debut in the 1980s where as SA played their first ODI in 1990s against India.

SA playing thrice as many ODIs as compared to BD with similar number of players means that the players that they chose were more successful hence SA did not have to look for replacements too frequently. BD have played their 90 odd ODIs in nearly 20 years at the rate of 5 ODIs per year. Some of the replacements may have been for players who retired and others may have been for players who failed to come good at this level.

A successful team is likely to retain its players for longer periods compared to a not so successful team. That way there should not be too much surprise in the fact that BD players tend to get changed more frequently than SA players.
Old August 20, 2004, 12:17 PM
First BC Member

Quote:
Or would you prefer less debutants and the same perfortmance as we see now?
On the contrary, I am suggesting to the fact that we have too many players, but very few quality players. (Quantity getting more preference than Quality over the years).

However, I do agree that if we had more success, the number of debutant players would have been much lower than it is now.