facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who is the best associate team?
Afghanistan 1 6.67%
Canada 0 0%
Ireland 13 86.67%
Kenya 1 6.67%
Netherlands 0 0%
Scotland 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul
Post Who is the best associate team?

We always here time and time again that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are not much different than the likes of Ireland or Afghanistan or whatever and teams like Ireland deserve to be a full member nation which I have no objection with by the way. But the question is who is the best or most promising associate team right now in the World of Cricket and has a chance of breaking into the elite? If we look at the past, we have seen dramatic things from these nations such as Kenya reaching the 03 World Cup semi-final, Canada beating Bangladesh, Ireland knocking out Pakistan and beating England at the World Cup and other notables.

Last edited by MyRoom; December 17, 2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old December 16, 2012, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

Though Ireland is playing consistently for long time, when question comes who is the most promising team I will say it is Afghanistan. But Afghanistan has a lot of problems like infrastructural issue, security in their home etc which hinder them being a full member before Ireland.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

It's just a matter of time before Ireland gets the Test status. I believe they'll get it by 2020. Even though I see them being a good team, I see them becoming another NZ. A team that'll punch we'll above their weight but in the end will suffer due to the lack of talent. The reason I say this? Their population is only 4.6 million and they already are established in sports such as Gaelic football, handball, hurling, soccer, and rugby. So cricket could come in as the 6th sport possibly. So a country of only 4.6 million and you'll have kids viewing cricket as the 6th sport? This is why I see them being another NZ. Obviously I don't see this being a bad thing but I don't see them ever being a top 4 team or being a real threat to win world tournaments. That being said, I see them taking much less time compared to Bangladesh when challenging and beating Test level teams. They'll come in far more ready.

I see more promise in Afghanistan honestly. They have a population of 30 million people and cricket is already rising as the top sport there. Plus the subcontinent is already cricket crazy. Obviously, they are in turmoil right now but once the wars cools and settle down more, I can see them developing in to a good cricketing nation. Honestly, I see them being 2nd in terms of pace potential in the subcontinent and think that they'll be a mini Pakistan. Very good pacers and spinners and hard hitting batsmen. Obviously they'll take much longer than Ireland in terms of readiness but see them having the potential in being a top 4 team 1 day.

As for the rest of the associates, Scotland, Netherlands, Kenya, and UAE all seem to have decent potential but don't see them really ever making a case for being Test nations.

ICC should no doubt try to go after China. They have a massive population, thriving economy, and most importantly, they aren't very established in sports. This is a potential gold mine for cricket. I see them taking a while obviously but that's a country ICC should target.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Afghans are fun to watch, those guys are massive with a lot of strength and dispatch everything for 6's!
Old December 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

@Tiger444: Ireland are no doubt the next team that is on the rise but at this moment, they do deserve to play plenty of ODIs at least 15 a year against full member nations especially against the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Because Bangladesh have big gaps between series, it would be good for them as well as the Irish to play with them every year home and/or away in an ODI series and possibly some T20s especially in T20 Championship year.

What's interesting about the Irish team is that more than 10 of their first team players already play full time in County Cricket so it won't be too surprising if Ireland surpass both Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in Cricket in a much shorter time. The Irish team would probably beat us in seaming conditions but we'll most likely have the hand over them in Asian conditions.

Other nations like Scotland according to experts if they were given the same funding from ICC like all current full members, they will most likely succeed in Cricket especially in Tests as compared to Bangladesh mainly because they know the game very well.

China is very interesting in fact Cricket is already growing there and they plan to climb up the ladder, they even have a proper Cricket stadium which is fit to host at least limited overs matches. China is doing fantastically well in the Olympics so that's a clear proof that a sport like Cricket is worth investing in. Ping Pong I think is China's most popular sport!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgBZDj8Bdk
Old December 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRoom
@Tiger444: Ireland are no doubt the next team that is on the rise but at this moment, they do deserve to play plenty of ODIs at least 15 a year against full member nations especially against the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Because Bangladesh have big gaps between series, it would be good for them as well as the Irish to play with them every year home and/or away in an ODI series and possibly some T20s especially in T20 Championship year.
What's interesting about the Irish team is that more than 10 of their first team players already play full time in County Cricket so it won't be too surprising if Ireland surpass both Bangladesh and Zimbabwe in Cricket in a much shorter time. The Irish team would probably beat us in seaming conditions but we'll most likely have the hand over them in Asian conditions.
Agreed 100%. Even though they are yet to be a Test nation, they are still a very good team. They're brought up in the English system which gives them a huge advantage over us and Zimbabwe. I also agree that they deserve to play more ODI's. It would serve us and Zimbabwe well if we play against each other more often

My concern again about Ireland is, will they be able to play at a high level by playing in their own domestic leagues? Some will obviously continue to play county cricket the way a lot of the South Africans do, but eventually they're going to have to rely on their own resources in order to compete at the Test level.

Same goes to Afghanistan. Will they be able to play at a high level without Pakistan's help? They could but it'll be tough work.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Afghans are fun to watch, those guys are massive with a lot of strength and dispatch everything for 6's!
Bangladesh should also play them in a short series. We don't even have to use our best players and give our youngsters or newcomers a chance. 3 ODIs in one year and in T20 Championship year, 2 or 3 T20 matches. Let's not be like India and do something wonders for the World of Cricket. When Bangladesh tour West Indies in a few years in the american continent, we should also arrange some ODI games against teams like Bermuda and Canada even a 3/4 day game will do. I personally don't think Afghanistan will ever play Test Cricket but will definitely become one of the best associate teams (currently affiliate) in ODIs and T20s.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

@Tiger444: Countries like Ireland and Scotland know the long form game well and I personally feel had these countries been given the same funding like Bangladesh from ICC then they would've done much better than Bangladesh in Test Cricket. But you are aware that Ireland are producing better players than England? like Eoin Morgan, Paul Stirling and George Dockrell who is a very tall left arm spinner a good one I should say so I don't think when they eventually have their own domestic structure, will cause a problem infact, I still think a lot of County sides over in England will still desperately recruit a lot of Irish players into their squads given the talent they have so really Ireland Cricket could be getting it in both ways through two domestic systems one in Ireland and one in England. In the past, Canada and Kenya were such a promising Cricket nation even good enough at one stage to play full-time Cricket but looked what happened to both these countries? Cricket can't afford to lose Ireland. But I heard if Ireland plan to have a domestic system, they can realistically have no more than 4 domestic teams so there are possibilities that they will include domestic teams from countries like Scotland and the Netherlands so there are enough teams and competition which I think will be a fantastic idea for their development in these Cricketing nations.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Ireland to have a first class system ny starting off with 3 sides.They are making progress.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Ireland by a long distance.

But I think you have missed another team which shows glimpse of potential every now and then.

Namibia
Old December 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRoom
@Tiger444: Countries like Ireland and Scotland know the long form game well and I personally feel had these countries been given the same funding like Bangladesh from ICC then they would've done much better than Bangladesh in Test Cricket. But you are aware that Ireland are producing better players than England? like Eoin Morgan, Paul Stirling and George Dockrell who is a very tall left arm spinner a good one I should say so I don't think when they eventually have their own domestic structure, will cause a problem infact, I still think a lot of County sides over in England will still desperately recruit a lot of Irish players into their squads given the talent they have so really Ireland Cricket could be getting it in both ways through two domestic systems one in Ireland and one in England. In the past, Canada and Kenya were such a promising Cricket nation even good enough at one stage to play full-time Cricket but looked what happened to both these countries? Cricket can't afford to lose Ireland. But I heard if Ireland plan to have a domestic system, they can realistically have no more than 4 domestic teams so there are possibilities that they will include domestic teams from countries like Scotland and the Netherlands so there are enough teams and competition which I think will be a fantastic idea for their development in these Cricketing nations.
Initially I agree that Ireland and Scotland would do much better than Bangladesh. We have to remember here that cricket was played around the 1920's I believe in these countries whereas we started around the 1980's. So they've had a stronger cricket culture already in place compared to us.

I agree also that Ireland has produced some good talents as well and some of these guys could eventually make the England side. Question is will they continue to churn out good players? I feel they will and no question about it, they'll definitely challenge the top sides on a regular basis once they're in.

Also Ireland won't turn out like Kenya and Canada. Reason is again they have a stronger cricket culture compared to the other 2. Canada is still filled with expats and that is just not good enough in becoming a good team. Kenya had potential but lack of resources really killed them. With Ireland this shouldn't be a problem.

I wish Ireland all the best and I'm really proud of them and Afghanistan.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Ireland has the 2nd best fielding in ODI after SA. True story.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

afghanistan possibly in terms of talent, performance, how fast they've improved but ireland has to be #1 because they're one of the top associates on results, but what separates them is their cricket culture and structure. once they get full membership and start playing tests they'll soon be on par with at least teams like BD, sri lanka, NZ, zimbabwe etc. they also want it and are willing to put in the work to get themselves to the next level.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
Banned

I think Bangladesh should arrange games with associates especially against a team like Ireland because our team don't play enough Cricket. In fact, Ireland want to play us home and/or away and we should not let them down. Give some of our young guys a chance anyway plus playing in Ireland means you are experiencing how to play in seaming conditions so I hope in 2013, Bangladesh will play them during the Champions Trophy. Even Pakistan are going to be playing a couple of ODI games against Ireland before the ICC Champions Trophy and I think we should as well so somebody tell BCB to arrange these matches.