facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 10, 2005, 08:22 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Is Mohammed Ashraful himself his own worst enemy?

No doubt that Mohammed Ashraful is a brilliant batsman. He is only 20, and has a long way to go. He has the potential to be the best ever batsman in Bangladesh. But, why isn't he that consistent with his bat? Why does he disappoint his fans, and of course himself over and over? The problem lies not in his abilities, but at the extent of his patience. The following is a quote from Express India portraying Ashraful in Duleep Trophy:

"When he bats, it’s an absolute delight to see the array of strokes from his willow. But the problem is the delight doesn’t last long for Bangladesh to feel cozy.

Mohammad Ashraful can, on his day, playfully wade into any opposition but there’s more to cricket than just playing your shots. It’s about staying at the wicket, scoring tons and...leading from the front.

Ashraful’s transition from a gifted young cricketer to a high-calibre Test batsman needs maximum examples of gritty knocks under trying conditions. Unfortunately, he didn’t realise an opportunity in the middle of the Karnail Singh Stadium on Wednesday. With his side — Bangladesh Board XI — tottering at 117-6 in this Duleep Trophy fixture, he’s equally responsible as much as the dual bounce of the wicket.

It didn’t matter to the 20-year-old prodigy that his side was two down with nothing to show against Central’s first innings score of 351. He batted the way he always does. Within minutes, the ball was placed through covers, third man, mid-wicket, square-leg and extra covers; virtually all over the ground. And then he decided to fish outside the off-stick and his counterpart, JP Yadav gladly bagged the booty. " source: http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=119777

This isn't new to us. We witnessed this kind of dismal show from Ashraful many times. I'm not picking on Ashraful in particular; all our players share similar traits when it comes to staying at the crease. But, since we know he is the capable one, he is the one we already nominated to be the best ever BD bastman (i.e. in another poll in this forum), isn't it time he steps up and shows us that he, indeed, is the best ever BD batsman. If his fellow players and he do justice to themselves, our team will present us that "Big Big Win" we're so craving for.

Old March 10, 2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I think we, the fans and the media are his worst enemy. Always say he is all that and when he does perform once every 3 years, we go over the moon.
Old March 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
Test Cricketer

It is high time Ashraful wised up and learned to stick around a bit longer. This world is full of talented players who never reach their full potential and dwindle away.

In another team he probably would've dropped once twice already.
Old March 10, 2005, 09:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rajputro
I think we, the fans and the media are his worst enemy. Always say he is all that and when he does perform once every 3 years, we go over the moon.
Well, if he's got the right stuff he should be able to handle it. Right?
Old March 10, 2005, 09:29 PM
Test Cricketer

There are times when I feel Asraful's almost blasse, bored. I feel that he needs a challenge to get going. Both his centuries came in pressured conditions. Then again true class which I think he is, should be able shine always.

Edited on, March 11, 2005, 2:31 AM GMT, by couger.
Old March 11, 2005, 09:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Beta beshi beshi kotha koy, other than this, he is OKAY in my opinion. He is doing good, at least 'not so bad'

Which other batsman in BD team performs even once in 3 years except SUMON and RAFIQ...??
Old March 11, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cricket Sage

'Fame' chabe 'Criticism' Chabe Na?

Ta HobeNa Ta HobeNa..
Old March 11, 2005, 09:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

mayb he's... his own worst enemy!.. but i'm gonna say.. he's not that bad.. afterall he's grt cheerleader!:P
Old March 11, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

What about that TV STAR.. I thought she was the reason that ash is doing bad.... (well the other thread didn't concluded that he is the one in the rummor, but he is the best contender for it)

Edited on, March 11, 2005, 6:41 PM GMT, by akabir77.
Old March 11, 2005, 01:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

Quote:
Originally posted by akabir77
What about that TV STAR.. I though she was the reason that ash is doing bad.... (well the other thread didn't concluded that he is the one in the rummor, but he is the best contender for it)
I agree with u about this matter!.. afterall he's the number one contender!! lets pray and hope.. he'll succeed in both on and off the field :P:P

Edited on, March 11, 2005, 6:28 PM GMT, by cricket_pagla.
Old March 11, 2005, 02:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Quote:
Originally posted by couger
There are times when I feel Asraful's almost blasse, bored. I feel that he needs a challenge to get going. Both his centuries came in pressured conditions. Then again true class which I think he is, should be able shine always.

Doesn't BD team always play under pressure? There were probably 2 or 3 innings where by the time Ashraful came to bat we were not in pressure situation.

All talented players who went on to become something in Test and ODI cricket were able to make their mark within 2 to 3 years. It has been 4 for Ash and not significant enough change in him yet.

Out all our current national team players he seems to be our hope since he scored 2 centuries but reality is that somebody like Pilot has served more than his duty to the team; but we still drool on Ash's comeback of one inning in every 2-3 years.

We are better of playing players who can go out there and do the job even if they don't have good style or grace in their batting, but can keep an avg. of high 20s to 30s. We wasted too much of our hopes and effort on players like Ash and Alok who came and went making 1 or 2 sparks during their time. Its time for us to take the route that brings the team work among the players were everybody has to perform for the team to win. If we can do that may be in 3 to 5 years we will have few players really worthy of the praises to so cheaply give away to Ash and Alok. We don't need stars or idols and neither do we need to elevate any players to a status with our hopes and praises which they are not worthy yet.

Team work, technique, dependability, smart/clever, passionate, self confidence of winning when all the odds are against you..... these are the things we need, not Ashraful or Alok......
Old March 11, 2005, 02:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by DotBall
Quote:

Doesn't BD team always play under pressure? There were probably 2 or 3 innings where by the time Ashraful came to bat we were not in pressure situation.

All talented players who went on to become something in Test and ODI cricket were able to make their mark within 2 to 3 years. It has been 4 for Ash and not significant enough change in him yet.

Out all our current national team players he seems to be our hope since he scored 2 centuries but reality is that somebody like Pilot has served more than his duty to the team; but we still drool on Ash's comeback of one inning in every 2-3 years.

We are better of playing players who can go out there and do the job even if they don't have good style or grace in their batting, but can keep an avg. of high 20s to 30s. We wasted too much of our hopes and effort on players like Ash and Alok who came and went making 1 or 2 sparks during their time. Its time for us to take the route that brings the team work among the players were everybody has to perform for the team to win. If we can do that may be in 3 to 5 years we will have few players really worthy of the praises to so cheaply give away to Ash and Alok. We don't need stars or idols and neither do we need to elevate any players to a status with our hopes and praises which they are not worthy yet.

Team work, technique, dependability, smart/clever, passionate, self confidence of winning when all the odds are against you..... these are the things we need, not Ashraful or Alok......
I agree with you on all counts but there's something about this guy.....you know. When he walks out in the middle one feels that he can do anything. And when we are about to forget that he produces a spectacular innings. But this too will pass and I'm afraid if doesn't wise up then he'll be history soon.
Old March 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

He is a bit like Afridi. When he is batting it is really exicting although it doesnt last long. If he learns to stay at the crease longer then he will become BD's best batsman. And maybe average over 40 (50 is too high for now).
Old March 11, 2005, 07:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by aka
He is a bit like Afridi. When he is batting it is really exicting although it doesnt last long. If he learns to stay at the crease longer then he will become BD's best batsman. And maybe average over 40 (50 is too high for now).
Ash's average in ODIs is around 16!
Old March 11, 2005, 08:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Purely from a technical standpoint Ashraful is a lot better than Afridi. Althaough, sadly his records don't indicate that.
Old March 11, 2005, 08:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Ya. Te difference between him an Afridi is that Afridi scores a bit more runs before he goes out.
Old March 11, 2005, 08:54 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by aka
Ya. Te difference between him an Afridi is that Afridi scores a bit more runs before he goes out.

This is my point! Ashraful won't stick around because he has a short fuse! He needs to go through the learning proceess of staying at the crease by batting patiently and not bcomming greedy at every single ball that comes his way!
Old March 11, 2005, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i think we should leave ashraful alone. he's doing ok, and should be able to learn the art of consistency gradually if allowed to hang around for a year or two.
Old March 11, 2005, 09:02 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by akabir77
What about that TV STAR.. I thought she was the reason that ash is doing bad.... (well the other thread didn't concluded that he is the one in the rummor, but he is the best contender for it)

Edited on, March 11, 2005, 6:41 PM GMT, by akabir77.

I didn't suggest that we concluded he is the best. I said fans think really high of him (by giving him the most votes in the other thread as an example). Again, He has the potential to be the best if he does justice to his talent.
Old March 11, 2005, 09:03 PM
Test Cricketer

We don't need stars or idols and neither do we need to elevate any players to a status with our hopes and praises which they are not worthy yet.

Ash smash although soothing to see, it does not pump up a fan like me.
Our stars and idols would the one who would help us draw some matches consistentlt
In the batting dept., BD is yet to produce the Mendis or Roy Dias of the first SriLanka test team. We need more of defending wickets than playing dazzling strokes. How hard is it to learn to stay at the crease for a draw?
We always talk about win-loss, but why not talk about earning draw against some strong teams. we have the least number of drawn matches.
Ash, Nafis, Aftab have yet to show us how they react to situation. Let's wait for the England series.
Old March 12, 2005, 12:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
he's doing ok, and should be able to learn the art of consistency gradually if allowed to hang around for a year or two.
I don't think he's doing OK. For his talent, he certainly is not doing OK.
Old March 12, 2005, 12:47 AM
Club Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by abu_akif
Beta beshi beshi kotha koy, ....]

'Beta'? He is not even a 'Chhera' yet..
Old March 12, 2005, 11:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

give him a partner that wont be out for 10-15, when he's in the creas he usally sees 2-3 batsmen go down and then feels that he hsa to do it all by him self. i'd put ash at the beggining with nafees.
Old March 12, 2005, 12:10 PM
Club Cricketer

ash scored 115* (18X4, 1X6, 163 balls) against Chittagong under pressure. he will be just fine, give him some time.
Old March 12, 2005, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
he's doing ok, and should be able to learn the art of consistency gradually if allowed to hang around for a year or two.
I don't think he's doing OK. For his talent, he certainly is not doing OK.
yes, well that's true. he isn't doing well for his talent. however, if you compare with others on the team, he hasn't been doing too bad either.

but you're right - it's painful to watch such a talent being wasted. the good thing is that he still has a lot of time.