facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Default Disappointing

I am disappointed that Bangladesh lost the short series 1-0 especially against the slow left arm spin of Herath taking 12 wickets.

I would have thought that the BPL provided enough impetus and confidence for the team to go forward and win this series against a SL team low on confidence after all the player disputes.

The brilliant performances by the batters in the first Test match on a great batting wicket aside, the loss leaves the team once again scratching collective heads about Test cricket. I wanted to see some more determination and fighting spirit in this second test.

The limited overs stuff is clearly what the players are far more happy to play in and I expect strong results. But Test cricket remains a massive worry after almost 13 years.

Old March 19, 2013, 11:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I think expecting an away win at SL would be too ambitious. In fact most of the fans here were at best hoping for a draw and a fight. So I am not too disappointed with the results. They fought hard in 1st test and gave a decent target in the 2nd one. SL might be weak but Sanga, Dilshan, Herath are still there and these are world class players and we also played without Shakib.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Ian, our Test cricket is at where our ODI cricket was at a few years ago: occasional solid performances but nothing comprehensive. We play a lot more ODIs than Tests, and Tests few and far between. Plus Tests are much harder. Thus, it will likely take at least a few more years for us to begin to compete with the bottom ranked Test sides as equals.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 19, 2013, 12:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Except for the interest of Indian full tour invitation, SL series win was never in high demand. Even recent comment from selectors in terms of injury management of top players to give higher priority to Zim series also evident of it. So asking for series draw was already optimistic here let alone winning. Besides long BPL + this SL tour + Zim tour are all making too much compact of cricket in short time, I dont think our cricketers can handle this much of it. No matter few bugs keeps some heads scratching, Asking win from this half strength injury effected test minnow side should be very harsh.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:58 PM

I agree about Shakib missing etc etc etc, but let's get past that. It's old news.

My point is that 13 years of Test cricket - however low the standard or expectation - should have taught the players a steely determination to be competitive regularly. Sri Lanka without Malinga, Murali are nowhere near the force they once were and the conditions there are not too alien to BD.

Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'. There's a fact of life that you get what you prepare for and I feel strongly that the squad is not preparing to win at any stage, but merely 'hang on' so defeat isn't so large.

The mentality brings the answers, and that starts with expectations being set up to be harsher, not easier. If you set the bar low then there is nowhere to go after that. So I would hope to see a tougher push for wins and a higher pride in expectation from even the lesser players coming into the team.

I guess my views are different to most, but having seen the talent on offer, I am disappointed it has yet to galvanised into a winning mindset at least, if not in results.

If you want to do something BADLY enough you will always find a way. If not, you will always find an excuse.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Not disappointed.

They are learning to believe themselves. We have been watching the difference for last 1 year. It's getting more and more visible now.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I failed to understand your main point of the thread.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

its all SJ's fault..sack him
Old March 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
its all SJ's fault..sack him
I am with you.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'.
If you were a selector, would you have selected different players than the ones in the squad?
Old March 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

I am disappointed. Yes, I am.

After 13 years of Test cricket we should play Rangana Herath at least. We should not be caught napping (yes, that's the word), Ash and Mahmudullah were caught. You will tell me that they had some unplayable deliveries? NO, they were not unplayable. Shakib bowls those deliveries often, we are used to these sort of bowling.

The thing is we had brain farts (excuse my language)- Nasir had one today, we had some brain freezes- Ash and Mahmudullah. They were off ther mind I guess. Probably Mominul were unlucky, but no excuse at all.

So one opener was a bit useless (Omi), two players were off guard (Ash and Mullah), one was unlucky, one had brain fart, what else? What can you expect other than a 4th day loss?

We deserved it.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old March 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I agree about Shakib missing etc etc etc, but let's get past that. It's old news.

My point is that 13 years of Test cricket - however low the standard or expectation - should have taught the players a steely determination to be competitive regularly. Sri Lanka without Malinga, Murali are nowhere near the force they once were and the conditions there are not too alien to BD.

Anyway, I think the problem starts with selectors 'not expecting too much'. There's a fact of life that you get what you prepare for and I feel strongly that the squad is not preparing to win at any stage, but merely 'hang on' so defeat isn't so large.
you can't just look at that time frame and say hey its been 13 years and BD should win it. Learning is step by step, series by series.

In previous series, SL thrashed BD left and right with innings defeat. This time, we drew one and was competitive in the other one. If Shakib not involved is old news, then absence Murali/Malinga/vintage SL is also old news.

I don't think any realistic die-hard fans/causal viewers/journalist/critics expected BD to win a test given their current strength. We all expected a strong fight and for the most part BD was neck to neck to SL. The result was not like "surprise, OMG, look at what happened". Hence not disappointed.

I can't blame the selectors much. It was almost the best XI possible. Your boy Anamul failed in 1st test and had to make way for Tamim coz Jahurul looked more confident and in fact scored some runs in 2nd test as well.

Once again, let's look at series by series progress.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:31 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

to be honest if somebody told me would you take a 1-0 test series win for SL in SL?..i would probably say yes..we finally drawed a match without the help of rain against a top opposition, whats there to complain about?..but i am really disappointed at some of the way the batsmen got out in the 2nd test..in the 1st innings they were painfully lazy, as if they will play like galle every-time..after all the concentration they showed in galle and getting my hopes up that we have finally learned to bat in test it was really disappointing 2nd test to be honest

i wont complain much about bowling, it is a new bowling unit..we know our fast bowlers limitations, gazi bowled well without any success, if shakib was there things could have been different
Old March 19, 2013, 01:53 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I am disappointed. Whatever we say, this was a winnable match, but our batsmen could not adapt to test cricket. Tamim's advice was on the money, "rotate the strike." But, our batsmen went for shots and the team lost.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Kata gha e nun er chhita shuru !!!

Yeah it's all SJ's fault !!! We need a magician coach who will have a team full of stars so that we can win every match !!!
Old March 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

^ You generalize to extremes too easily!
Old March 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Disappointed with some of the performances in the second Test, yes. However, disappointed with the series outcome? Not really. Can't just expect to beat Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka out of nowhere. It will happen gradually. Take out Dilshan, Sangakkara and Herath, who are all on the cusp of retiring, and then compare the two teams. Plenty of positives to be taken from this tour for us. Our pacers outperformed theirs even though they were bowling to a far superior line-up (in the 2nd Test). And I don't see the relevance of how long we've been playing; teams which have been playing far longer would not get as close as us against Sri Lanka at home.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

I am bit disappointed with our bat in 2nd test. I think player just given it away in 2nd inning. But overall performance is not that bad, against SL in SL its really difficult. I think this is our best performance against SL in SL, last time we visited them it was one way all the way.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
Cricket Sage

What happened to all that talk about dragging the match to 5 days?

The result of the first test match had more to do with the dead pitch than our players batting abilities. If we really learned how to bat for long periods of time, we would have at the very least dragged the match on to the 5th day.

I don't know about other people but no I'm not happy with the result of this game. We can't just be happy that we managed to draw one game, and say that's good enough. In order for us to show that we are improving continuously we need to show improvement from one game to the next. Drawing one test and than not even managing 270+ in the next 2 innings is not a sign of improvement.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 19, 2013, 04:05 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
Kata gha e nun er chhita shuru !!!

Yeah it's all SJ's fault !!! We need a magician coach who will have a team full of stars so that we can win every match !!!
apu.. Khepo ken? :p Nekre miah fazlami to korche..

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old March 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
What happened to all that talk about dragging the match to 5 days?

The result of the first test match had more to do with the dead pitch than our players batting abilities. If we really learned how to bat for long periods of time, we would have at the very least dragged the match on to the 5th day.
Exactly, that's the point.
We can say whatever we want but we could not take the game into fifth day and that's a let down, that's a failure.
In the first test, they had declared 570/4 but we played all 10 wickets in the first innings.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

After all this years, to be bundled out by a wily, but not overwhelming SLA is disappointing. Herath is just a slightly more wily version of Raw-freak! It was our temerity that caused us to stick to the crease instead of getting a long stride in to him.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:56 PM

My point, which most of you seem to understand, is that after 13 years of Test cricket the team is still struggling to make the game last 5 days most of the time. Come on boys, fight....

My worry is when Ireland get Test status
Old March 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnaf
apu.. Khepo ken? :p Nekre miah fazlami to korche..

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
nekre mia'r upore to khepi nai ... mojai lage ek e trump card bar bar use korte dekhle