facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 24, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Default Learning PHP: any suggestion?

Hello Everyone,

out of many programming languages, i know a little bit of C++,Java and MATLAB(i only am familiar with them and know little about them) now my professor told me that in order for him to give me research opportunities i must learn PHP over the summer. so, here i am, willing to learn PHP, can anyone suggest me what is the easiest and fastest way to learn PHP? give me website links which teach me PHP for free preferred. thanks.
all suggestions welcome

Regards, Rifat

Old May 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
Hello Everyone,

out of many programming languages, i know a little bit of C++,Java and MATLAB(i only am familiar with them and know little about them) now my professor told me that in order for him to give me research opportunities i must learn PHP over the summer. so, here i am, willing to learn PHP, can anyone suggest me what is the easiest and fastest way to learn PHP? give me website links which teach me PHP for free preferred. thanks.
all suggestions welcome

Regards, Rifat
Just google really. There are tons of tutorials.

I'm personally learning java from tutorials atm (i know C++ so it shouldnt be too hard).

HTML and mySQL are next on my list. Of course just reading a page of these things is taking me a few days (too lazy/distracted)... so i doubt ill get to those this summer... maybe next year...
Old May 24, 2009, 08:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
Hello Everyone,

all suggestions welcome

Regards, Rifat
If you like the head first series try the "Head first PHP" .

Working within a framework might help aswell. Try this http://www.symfony-project.org/ they have a working example spread over 24 lessons , will fit nicely into your summer
Old May 24, 2009, 09:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Just a word of precaution.... Don't blow your computer up!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 24, 2009, 09:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Just google really. There are tons of tutorials.

I'm personally learning java from tutorials atm (i know C++ so it shouldnt be too hard).

HTML and mySQL are next on my list. Of course just reading a page of these things is taking me a few days (too lazy/distracted)... so i doubt ill get to those this summer... maybe next year...
HTML is really a nice language, i remember making a webpage with a friend in high school. it is easy to code too since all you do is write in notepad...
Old May 24, 2009, 09:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
If you like the head first series try the "Head first PHP" .

Working within a framework might help aswell. Try this http://www.symfony-project.org/ they have a working example spread over 24 lessons , will fit nicely into your summer
thanks, Bharat bhai
Old May 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Just google really.
I agree. There is a introductory book written by a chinese dude that is not bad but I don't think you need introductory course. You already know C++ and JAVA - these two are like the core language programming. Rest of the crap stems from them.

what kinda research can u do with php? tweaking your professor's blog?
Old May 24, 2009, 09:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I agree. There is a introductory book written by a chinese dude that is not bad but I don't think you need introductory course. You already know C++ and JAVA - these two are like the core language programming. Rest of the crap stems from them.

what kinda research can u do with php? tweaking your professor's blog?
he runs a program called BIOGRID at UCONN... and they study DNA sequencing, . it is like a program where students from both Biological sciences and Computer Science Students get together and research...

http://biogrid.engr.uconn.edu/REU/projects.php

they give you a topic within that area to research and you research it...
Old May 24, 2009, 10:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Use dreamweaver. it has many in built script. also go to adobe.com and look for php tutorials for dreamweaver. very very easy to learn. i was PHP programmer professionally for 3 years till i changed my job to marketing.

reading books didn't help me at all. You need to work with real time projects to learn. get some easy php scripts from hotscripts.com

Start with a phone book. Php integrated with Mysql. write script with add,delete, search function.
good luck.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

w3schools
Old May 24, 2009, 11:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

For some reason PHP has high demand in Deshi Job Market.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:55 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

If you're seriously into learning PHP, also try to learn MySQL as the two kinda go hand in hand.

This is a pretty handy and easy to understand guide to get you started- http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Dyna...ref=pd_sim_b_7

Learn the basics first. Get down and dirty with the PHP manual- http://www.php.net/manual/en/index.php

There is a ton of PHP tutorials and resources out there. Google is your friend.

Good luck.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I really need to learn php and mysql... gotta get an edge in the job hunt.... its honestly SO bad right now...
Old May 27, 2009, 09:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

The PHP Manual is the best starting place (try the link Hatebreed provided above). If you know Java, specifically JSP, then the core functionality of PHP is easy to understand. It is mostly used as server pages - so similiar functionality as JSP, ASP or Cold Fusion. However PHP is flexible and large enough to build complex applications with it as well.

If you do use an IDE/Toolkit like Dreamweaver or Eclipse (like Aptana-Studio plugin) make sure to understand the code in source view without relying much on generated stuff. You can install MySQL in your local machine and do some 3-tier app with simple HTML, PHP and MySQL as the Database. I would suggest following simple examples online and then make your own. Following is a tentative list of stuff you should be able to do to be complete with entry level knowledge on PHP:

- using variables: assignment, use and display
- using list: arrays and hashes (associative arrays)
- using HTTP requests (GET, POST, PUT)
- flow control (conditional and loops)
- functions
- using libraries
- file I/O
- using database: mysql is the easiest and most popular
- URL functions

Learning classes (OOP) and session management are very useful too but I would suggest learning the above items first. PHP also has an extensive list of application platforms than you can use for quick development if you get yourself a web hosting space online. Some popular ones are WordPress, Joomla, PHP-Nuke, Dolphin, OSCommerce and phpBB.