facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 5, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Campus politics to be banned for good.

Campus politics to be banned for good
Govt brackets politics of students, teachers as major hurdles for education; UGC drafting law

Shakhawat Liton and Rashidul Hasan

The government has initiated a move for a permanent ban on politics of students and teachers in public universities and colleges, in a significant bid to restore proper atmosphere for education.
Since January 11, all political activities have remained banned under the emergency rules while the University Grants Commission (UGC) is drafting a law that will restrict politics in educational institutions even after the state of emergency is withdrawn, sources said.

The education ministry that directed drafting the law, identified students' and teachers' politics as a major obstacle to suitable atmosphere for education.

A seven-member high-powered committee headed by UGC Chairman Prof M Asaduzzaman and comprising educationists and legal experts, which is preparing the draft law, is likely to submit it to the education ministry early next month.
Apart from imposing a ban on students' and teachers' politics, the draft will include some provisions to ensure accountability of the teachers by introducing a system to evaluate the teachers' performance by the students.
"No students' and teachers' organisations will be allowed to use party slogans and carry out any political party sponsored activities on the university campuses. The law will also be applicable in case of government colleges," the UGC chairman told The Daily Star yesterday.
He said the draft law will have provisions to punish anybody if he or she ignores the law.
The students and teachers will however be allowed to be involved in 'limited' politics, which will be related to education and improvement of academic atmosphere, Prof Asaduzzaman said, adding that the draft law will also have provisions to allow students and teachers to be involved in political activities if the country faces a critical moment.
It has been found that the quality of education at the university level is gradually deteriorating due to the prevailing students' and teachers' politics, he said.
"We hope, the present caretaker government will take effective measures to enact the law to ban dirty politics of students and teachers at the universities. It is time to enact such a law as no political government has brought the desired reform regarding campus politics," said the UGC chairman, who recently discussed the issue with the education adviser.
"Student politics lost its glory long ago. It has turned into a dirty means of student leaders for making money through extortion in various ways. Student politics has also triggered violence on the campus."
"Once the law is enacted, the UGC will also consider the atmosphere and quality of education in case of granting annual allocation for a university. The university with suitable atmosphere for education will be granted more allocation," Asaduzzaman said.

Law Adviser Mainul Hosein also said yesterday that partisan politics of students as well as the teachers must be stopped.
The University Ordinance of 1973 will be amended to curb freedom of teachers to be involved in politics, said sources in the seven-member committee that is drafting the law.
Once the government enacts the law, student organisations of Awami League, BNP and other political parties will have to cut their relations with those political parties.
The draft of the law would be sent for opinion to different students' and teachers' organisations, the UGC chairman said.
When asked to comment on the move, former president of Dhaka University Teachers' Association (DUTA) and also a leader of pro-Awami League teachers' body Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique said the politics of students and teachers should be de-linked from partisan politics.
He however said the rights of students and teachers to be involved in politics should not be curtailed for the interest of the society.

Present DUTA President and also a leader of pro-BNP teachers' body Prof Sadrul Amin said they are not directly involved with the politics of any political party although they have the right to be so. "No teachers should be involved in sycophantic politics and student politics should be de-linked from partisan politics," he said.
http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/04/05/d7040501033.htm
Old April 5, 2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Alhamdulillah! Thank God.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
politics of students, teachers
I like this part. DU is a perfect example for that.

Old April 5, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Amazing. Just what we were waiting for. There'll be a HUGE amount of intangible effect of this.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

how about a clause adding no effigy burnings in it too?

how about getting rid of students with no degree who has spent over 5 years?

how about mulitple degree seakers have to compete with the incoming freshmen for a seat?
Old April 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Wonders are done by this CG!
Old April 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

So far this govt has done all the right things, this is another great decision.

I only hope things stay this way once they leave.
Old April 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Looks like the Army is slowly taking over the country and entering politics, so far good things are being done, but have to wait and see what the meaning of 'our own brand of democracy' actually means when it is coming from a CAS who is supposed to be a temporary place holder before the election.
Old April 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Excellent move. The CTG and Army gets my full support in this move.
Old April 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Test Cricketer

ato khushi koi rakhi........!!!.........finally i see our beloved Bangladesh moving forward........khub bhalo lagtese......
Old April 5, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Jamaat'er rog kata din shesh. woohoo!!!!
Old April 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Definitely a very good move.

IMO, this is not enough.

Student politics as a whole should be banned. Political organizations should be barred from keeping it's student wing.
Old April 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
Cricket Savant

After reading the entire report I am high lighting some stuff and would comment on those:

"When asked to comment on the move, former president of Dhaka University Teachers' Association (DUTA) and also a leader of pro-Awami League teachers' body Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique said the politics of students and teachers should be de-linked from partisan politics."

and

"Present DUTA President and also a leader of pro-BNP teachers' body Prof Sadrul Amin said they are not directly involved with the politics of any political party although they have the right to be so. "No teachers should be involved in sycophantic politics and student politics should be de-linked from partisan politics," he said."

Chor'er ma'r boro gola.
Old April 6, 2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
After reading the entire report I am high lighting some stuff and would comment on those:

"When asked to comment on the move, former president of Dhaka University Teachers' Association (DUTA) and also a leader of pro-Awami League teachers' body Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique said the politics of students and teachers should be de-linked from partisan politics."

and

"Present DUTA President and also a leader of pro-BNP teachers' body Prof Sadrul Amin said they are not directly involved with the politics of any political party although they have the right to be so. "No teachers should be involved in sycophantic politics and student politics should be de-linked from partisan politics," he said."

Chor'er ma'r boro gola.
Both BAL & BNP teachers comments are quite tricky!!

"the politics of students and teachers should be de-linked from partisan politics."

That means they are willing to have lawfully right to practice 'Individual' political activity in campus. Means no way you can define which and when to call a political activity in campus as 'partisan' or 'individual'. And also which and when to call it 'linked' or 'non linked' with any political party.

"No teachers should be involved in sycophantic politics and student politics should be de-linked from partisan politics,"

This one is even worse and shameless! he is trying to protect teachers 'partisan' politics in campus, and student politics alive in campus saying 'individual' activity! Both of their comment is full of trap to making the initiative non functional or ineffective.

Students, parents and current govt. should stick to the plan to permanent ban on student politics by implementing University / college law or ministry of education law. Since public universities and colleges are govt. organization, students and teachers should not be allowed to practice politics ( whether it's partisan or not ) just as same as so many other public offices.
Old April 9, 2007, 02:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Both BAL & BNP teachers comments are quite tricky!!

"the politics of students and teachers should be de-linked from partisan politics."

That means they are willing to have lawfully right to practice 'Individual' political activity in campus. Means no way you can define which and when to call a political activity in campus as 'partisan' or 'individual'. And also which and when to call it 'linked' or 'non linked' with any political party.

"No teachers should be involved in sycophantic politics and student politics should be de-linked from partisan politics,"

This one is even worse and shameless! he is trying to protect teachers 'partisan' politics in campus, and student politics alive in campus saying 'individual' activity! Both of their comment is full of trap to making the initiative non functional or ineffective.

Students, parents and current govt. should stick to the plan to permanent ban on student politics by implementing University / college law or ministry of education law. Since public universities and colleges are govt. organization, students and teachers should not be allowed to practice politics ( whether it's partisan or not ) just as same as so many other public offices.
perfectly said. no option should be given to these crooked people. total ban on student and teachers politics will be the best. but i guess, banning teachers politics will be a tricky one, as they dont directly link to the main parties but have panels known as white (pro BNP-jamat) and blue (pro BAL) for DU and they participate on teachers association, sydicate as well as dean elections. so the govt should find some way, so that these teachers cant find a hole to practice their ill politics with a so called independent politics.
Old April 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
Cricket Guru

The big question is, even though campus politics is banned, some of the anticipated results may not be achieved. Banning campus politics will lead politics lovers to take it outside the campus...that will only help achieve the reduction of missed sessions/years for many students. But will that help guide the students from participating in political activities elsewhere? No.

I agree with Miraz bhai. Actually, I think they need to draw a line. They should say that students are eligible to take part in politics only after a certain age...say 23 years. And that also must happen outside the campus.

The age part is necessary I believe. Otherwise, anybody regardless of their age may get involved...and that's the sad reality at the moment. We want to keep the young guys out of it. And the law should extend to fine and/or imprisonment (say for 1 month) if students break the law.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:15 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I agree with Miraz bhai. Actually, I think they need to draw a line. They should say that students are eligible to take part in politics only after a certain age...say 23 years. And that also must happen outside the campus.
Most of these "students" are buira dhamras anyway. Let's not make up complicated rules. Politics should be out of educational instituitions unless it's a part of that education.
Old April 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Political student organizations were always unnecessary. University students could always directly participate in politics. There is no law in the country that prevents adult students from joining political parties.

Quote:
What is the basis of defining a magic number like 23? If a citizen is entitled to vote, he is also entitled to join in politics. Adult students should have right to join in politics, just like they have right of doing other jobs apart from academic studies.

Not that I think joining politics is an ideal thing for a student to do, but the laws should be fair and logical.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Quote:
What is the basis of defining a magic number like 23? If a citizen is entitled to vote, he is also entitled to join in politics. Adult students should have right to join in politics, just like they have right of doing other jobs apart from academic studies.

Not that I think joining politics is an ideal thing for a student to do, but the laws should be fair and logical.
Better late than never. Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I think there's been a misunderstanding here. When I said "say 23 years", it means I'm just giving an example. Yes you're right, there should be a logical number, and that's why I just gave an example. From my perspective, voting is not the same as doing other sorts of political activities. My whole family votes, but none of the members go and participate in party meetings or rallies.

What I was referring to was more related to "active" political involvement than just satisfying your democratic rights. IMO, active involvement should only be allowed when that cannot have any impact on the individuals' education. After seeing others, I can firmly say that education is the FIRST thing that gets sacrificed for active political involvement.
Old April 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Alhamdulillah........Its Milad time. Ya Nobi...........
Old April 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Alhamdullillah....
Old April 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

wow! no more hall dokhol? palta dokhol? innocent students dying from cross-fire...university closed indefinitely...wow!
Old April 5, 2007, 08:47 PM
Cricket Legend

So apnader modhe ke ke university life e student leader chilen? Dekhi amader forum e koto talented politician ache
Old April 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
So apnader modhe ke ke university life e student leader chilen? Dekhi amader forum e koto talented politician ache
Ami chilam student leader. Amar main kaj chilo hartal er time gari bhanga, manush pitano, tire purano, ar kono kono time media shamne ashle amar Hasina bua r gunogaan gawa.

Amar ei past er bepar keo bujhte pare nai except Arnab bhai. Unar kase dhore porei erpor nijer ashol chobita lagate hoyeche amar avatar e. (j/k) Arnab bhai abar jhogra koiren nah.This is all friendly banter. But the first paragraph is "true". Ami ekta student leader chilam and the above mentioned stuff were my dooties.
Old April 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Imtiaz bhai, Shahriyar faislami kortese. O ekhono highschool e pore...university level porjonto jetei pare nai. Boro hobar shokh r ki...bujhlen?