facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 17, 2012, 01:44 AM
Cricket Legend

You wouldnt know whether to laugh or cry when you hear Gun supporters claiming the massacre wouldnt have taken place if teachers were armed...

Old December 17, 2012, 02:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Gun control by itself isn't the solution at all but it is essential. If you ban something, you create a black market. As simple as that. So, meaningful regulation inclusive of mandatory courses for legal gun owners on gun safety and non violent conflict resolution is the better way. Those courses cannot be a one-of thing either. They must be scheduled at regular intervals and sustained.

Connecticut has one of the strictest gun laws in the country yet it did nothing to prevent an obviously disturbed and anti-social psychopath like Adam Lanza from carrying out this evil and brutal act. There needs to be a serious and cohesive approach about non violent conflict resolution by families, schools and the media, and anti-social behavior must identified and treated early. Even then such evil will not be prevented, but that doesn't mean that we ought not try our best to mitigate the possibility.

The right to bear arms by an "organized militia of good citizens loyal to the letter and spirit of the Constitution" was a lot more relevant during Jeffersonian times when the US government was neither strong nor big enough to provide security for its citizenry against incursions by the British and their allies, and Native Americans defending their territory against aggression. Needless to say those times have changed significantly.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old December 17, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
I suggest you stop assuming I am talking out of my posterior about this issue. I have researched about drone attacks, their effectiveness, and the collateral damage (foreseen in most cases). I don't want to derail this thread, but killings of children (and 1 out of 6 killed in drone attacks ARE children) simply cannot have any justifications - regardless of whether the killers are the Taliban targeting Malala or the tech-savvy Western armies killing potential Malalas.
Unfortunately no one is going to give a horse s**t about the names of those ten girls who faced horrific and painful ending of their lives because some stupid maniac felt planting a deadly bomb by the side of the road they regularly went to get firewood.

Quote:
In a separate episode, 10 girls were killed in a rural district of eastern Afghanistan on Monday when a roadside bomb exploded while they were collecting firewood, the Afghan police said. The office of the governor of Nangarhar Province said the girls were all between 9 and 11 years old. The Ministry of Education said some were as young as 6.
NY Times Report
Old December 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Electrequiem's post is misunderstood again...Nobody's supporting Taliban here...Washington claims that drone strikes produce zero to few civilian casualties. However, there's plenty of legitimate studies done at legitimate institutions like Stanford Law School and New York University's School of Law, where researchers accuse Washington of misrepresenting facts to shield the drone program from democratic accountability.

Here's a report for instance--
"TBIJ reports that from June 2004 through mid-September 2012, available data indicate that drone strikes killed 2,562 - 3,325 people in Pakistan, of whom 474 - 881 were civilians, including 176 children. TBIJ reports that these strikes also injured an additional 1,228 - 1,362 individuals," according to the Stanford/NYU study.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Cricket Sage

^ add the long after-effect on economy, social life and environmental casualties that will be lingering on for years to come.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Default Gun Control and US

Recent debate on gun control made me go back and do some googling on how different countries of the first world fall in the percentage of shooting spree and homicide compared to their measures on guns. I found some Manhattan presented from UN research which shows how extreme it is in US compared to other developed nations:

Looking at the available lists of instances of school shooting as recorded by wiki also gives a vicious picture, BTW those in Canada need not to get a relieved breather either. Since as early as 1764 from Greencastle, Pennsylvania to New Castle, Connecticut there has been numerous occurrences of such homicide which place the United States a whooping 20 times higher in position compared to other developing countries.

If you guys are interested just look at the size of this table:

List of school shooting in US

Now for other countries, mainly Canada and UK you can look at the following chart:

List of School Shootings in Canada/Europe/Other

Good news is for last 4/5 years total death count is 0 in Canada, although it had few incidents, nothing happened in Australia or NZ and also except few minor incidents Europe could stay clean. The only European country that has school shooting issues in an alarming proportion is Germany, though my guess is the places of occurrences mostly within the territory previously severed as East.

But as Sohel the savant mentioned Gun Control is definitely not the solution but better restriction can be justified from the incidents as the window of such occasions taking place is shortening. The argument can be verified from this article recently published in the Christian Science Monitor.

Reaction of New Town incident in Russia

As it is claimed Russia possess very strict gun control laws, Russians seem to be divided on the probable effectiveness of such control. Some information given are very disturbing like,

Quote:
"The license system works pretty well, but it does happen quite often that people pay to get fake medical certificates" and other needed documents,

Countries and locales that fall into the "You can join a club and use a club gun but you must be resident to get a licence" category include:

Austria, Australia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Italy, Jersey, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand (tourist licence required), Norway, Poland, Sweden and doubtless many others.

If you are more interested learning about these clubs in Europe and how they operate you may visit:

Shooting Abroad

The article may have been for UK inhabitants but should fall into more or less any foreigner.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cricket Sage

This is from the press conference when Obama came to speak at Newtown, Connecticut. I wonder if this was some form of a political statement or a genuine attempt to show that at the end of the day we are all humans.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar

This is from the press conference when Obama came to speak at Newtown, Connecticut. I wonder if this was some form of a political statement or a genuine attempt to show that at the end of the day we are all humans.
I guess some muslims student must have died in the massacre, I had no idea
Old December 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
Cricket Sage

^ They covered stories on all of the kids that were killed, none of them were muslims. Whatever the reason is, Quran being recited in live television in U.S this is a pretty big deal. I'm sure a lot of people saw it. All day long all new channels were talking about Obama coming to Newtown to speak at a interfaith vigil. This was shown live on a lot of channels- CNN, NBC, MSNBC, Fox and many more.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:54 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

you know Bangladesh is unsafe..there is no security of life here..here murders like of Bishajit das occurs almost everyday, some gets through the media some dont..but one thing i am glad that doesn't occurs here are that children in school r safe
Old December 25, 2012, 06:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Night_wolf Bro, whether you want to look or not there are more reproachable and notorious things continue to happen in our country after thousands of highlighting in the media and criticism from public no action is initiated. Government most of the times response with restructuring the law totally ignoring the fact that it is the law and order situation that needs to be taken care of first.

Here are 2 articles that came out in International media and created huge upsurge on the concerning fate of daily child beggars on the street.

Profit by Maiming Underage

Rich Mafia, Unfortunate Kids
Old December 25, 2012, 07:05 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Night_wolf Bro, whether you want to look or not there are more reproachable and notorious things continue to happen in our country after thousands of highlighting in the media and criticism from public no action is initiated. Government most of the times response with restructuring the law totally ignoring the fact that it is the law and order situation that needs to be taken care of first.

Here are 2 articles that came out in International media and created huge upsurge on the concerning fate of daily child beggars on the street.

Profit by Maiming Underage

Rich Mafia, Unfortunate Kids
You are right..i was talking in view of school children, as these kind of murders in school never occurred in Bangladesh afaik, But humanity towards street children has gone as low as it can here
Old December 25, 2012, 11:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:

this is just too cool. surreal. Allah bless America.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cricket Sage

And more shooting, interesting that the slaughterer carried similar guns as Lanza,

Quote:
WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) — An ex-con killed two firefighters with the same caliber and make military-style rifle used in the Connecticut school massacre after typing a note pledging to burn down his neighborhood and "do what I like doing best, killing people," police said Tuesday as another body, believed to be the gunman's missing sister, was found.
William Spengler, 62, who served 17 years in prison for manslaughter in the 1980 hammer slaying of his grandmother, set his house afire before dawn Christmas Eve before taking a revolver, a shotgun and a semiautomatic rifle to a sniper position outside, Police Chief Gerald Pickering said.
The death toll rose to three as police revealed that a body believed to be the killer's 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler, was found in his fire-ravaged home.
Link
Old December 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:

MashaAllah! There is no deity worthy of worship except Allah
Old January 8, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Very strange clue from NewTown shooting links the Batman sequel and forces some schools of virginia called closed in one district. Interesting and thought provoking.

http://myfox8.com/2013/01/02/va-scho...ora-shootings/
Old January 16, 2013, 07:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Now this thing is getting on nerves of general people. I cannot imagine
how the families of the victims are coping up!!!!!!!!!

Why Sandy Hook Massacre Spawned Conspiracy Theories
Quote:
One month after the Sandy Hook school shootings, the list of victims continues to grow. One man, Gene Rosen — who found six children and a bus driver in his driveway, brought them into his home, fed them and called parents to assure them that their children were safe — has been harassed by telephone, email and online by those who think he is lying about his actions, and is part of a conspiracy.
http://news.yahoo.com/why-sandy-hook...184323398.html