facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 16, 2010, 07:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Besides, this comment just did something which was necessary for the series- it injected a bit of fire. It should work for BD though. It should fire up the players and inspire them to give it back in kind.

Old January 16, 2010, 07:15 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It wasn't nice to hear from Sehwag. You don't have to be politically correct but at least you have to show some civility if you are representing any country at a press conference. If he can't do that, he is not fit for the job. Let him play on the field and keep him off the mike irrespective of opponents.

Now, it's up to our boys to give a response. If we can't show some spark on the field in the upcoming Test series, we have to take his comments on the chin and move on. It's not the end of the world. We are improving and hopefully in near future we will be able to give a proper response to his words.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

I never heard Ricky Ponting or Steve Waugh speaking something like that in official press-briefing before a match against us.. These people are yet regarded as excessive sledger. Now what about Sehwag? It is not outfield sledging but purely ungentlemanship arrogance. Afsos I regarded this stupid better than Tendu
Old January 16, 2010, 07:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Actually, under normal circumstances; I wouldn't bother much. I don't like sugarcoating things (barring some exceptional situations), and I'm glad neither of Sehwag (for calling us an ordinary side) or Shakib (for not thinking of India as the No.1) and JS (that bum comment..lol!) did that. Though, in the context of this test series, I am actually delighted to be honest that Sehwag made that remark. It fires the players up, it fires me and all the fans up too. Sehwag-re wagai (bhagai...remember Indians say 'w' instead of 'bh' ) dimu ei matche.

Last edited by Purbasha T; January 16, 2010 at 09:08 AM..
Old January 16, 2010, 07:27 AM
Test Cricketer

I'm going to have to respectfully disgree with you all.

It's a breath of fresh air to hear someone expressing their actual opinions in a press conference instead of reeling off the usual cliches and deploying straight bats to every question they're asked. I hope they put him on the mic in every press conference.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Whatever feelings he had about BD, he should have kept it to himself, or said that the team is making progress and left it at that. Shows his background, class and upbringing.
I was happy to see that Sangha( a friend of mine( classy guy)) walked away with the SUV and the trophy to shut up the Indians and make amends for the losses they suffered in India.
I think what he meant was that they thrashed SL very badly in the tests and SL is a far better team than BD, so it will be a walk in the park for them.Giving BD the same treatment will be a no brainer.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Does it really matter? We should hope that it spurs our players on, so we can ultimately thank him.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
Cricket Legend

LOL. Man we got owned. But hey I can't blame him. The few of you having a whine about look rather ridiculous to be honest. Like Siddons said, this may just come back to 'bite him on his bum'. Let our boys shut him up, and let's avoid further embarrassing the Bangladesh fan base.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Real player,Media player

Pagole ki na bole? Ar chagole ki na khay?
Old January 16, 2010, 07:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Lets see him repeat his statement after the tests. I think he just dug a hole for himself
Old January 16, 2010, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Sehwag said. "They can surprise you in ODIs but not in Tests."
lol........and what was the biggest surprise? World Cup>>>>>>2007>>>>>>Loooooooooooser
Old January 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

thank you sehvag for giving extra motivation to bangladesh
Old January 16, 2010, 08:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu009
Virender Sehwag doesn't have an international century against Bangladesh. In two Tests against them, he has managed 23 runs, and even his ODI average against Bangladesh is lower than his overall average. Some correction of those stats might be in order.
Sehwag may have been politically incorrect. Why should his record against Bangladesh be held against him given the rank Bangladesh has in Test cricket? He manages to torment many world class bowlers with huge scores that too at a high strike rate. Not many in the recent past has been able to get such big scores at will like he does. Gary Sobers averaged 26 against New Zealand. Does anyone hold it against him for sucking big time against them?
Old January 16, 2010, 08:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu009
Well!! i will say. he don't have the right manner to talk at press conference.. Therefore, he need to learn how to talk as he learn how to bat

Friend Surfer , DO YOU THINK INDIA HAVE GOOD BOWLING LINEUP OUTSIDE INDIA TO WIN TEST IN REGULAR BASIS? I DON'T THINK SO. Indias bowling is very inconsistance as also mentioned by Ian chappel recently.
India didn't go up the ladder just by winning in India. India did win couple of tests in Australia when they were #1 side in the last 10 years. No other side has done that. India has won test matches in England, SA, Pakistan, SL and WI as well in the last 4-5 years.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
Cricket Legend

I think sehwag said what everyone knows already. Sakib's venom was very much in response to that. Whatever that defensive siddons say means nothing(I am sure he will keep SN out in both tests).

but opposition speaking in a condescending matter is the best thing to happen. the least Mr siddons can do is print it out and paste it infront of every player's room.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Whatever feelings he had about BD, he should have kept it to himself, or said that the team is making progress and left it at that. Shows his background, class and upbringing.
Why so? He was asked for his opinion. He said what he felt honestly. So many folks say something else than they what they actually think. Sehwag said what he exactly felt. One shouldn't seek for opinions/views from a straight talker, if one finds honest assessment of the situation to be unpalatable. It only shows the class of those who cannot stand honest views of a world class bat, yet seek for such a person's views.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
I'm going to have to respectfully disgree with you all.

It's a breath of fresh air to hear someone expressing their actual opinions in a press conference instead of reeling off the usual cliches and deploying straight bats to every question they're asked. I hope they put him on the mic in every press conference.
I wholeheartedly agree. As dull and straightforward as his answers seem, they're a great read. "He is enjoying himself. He is relaxing in the dressing room." Lawl.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:19 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

It's nice to hear something different than the routine "We're not taking Bangladesh lightly, they're pretty decent" for a change.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:20 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
I think sehwag said what everyone knows already. Sakib's venom was very much in response to that. Whatever that defensive siddons say means nothing(I am sure he will keep SN out in both tests).

but opposition speaking in a condescending matter is the best thing to happen. the least Mr siddons can do is print it out and paste it infront of every player's room.
Actually, so many times players make these remarks. Just before Australia tour began in 2003-2004, Aussies promised shin music for Ganguly. Ganguly went on to make a 100 in the very first game. India dominated the series, nearly won it. It is up to the teams how you deal with these comments. Some teams get fired up and perform well. Others get upset and lose the plot.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
Well, if you sit back and think, he is not wrong. Bangladesh is still an ordinary side and your bowlers will find it very difficult to take 20 Indian wickets. Sehwag is known to speak him mind. Political correctness is not something he is known for.
I agree he is right and probably India will go 2-0 win it...but to say something like that you are def lacking some class as an international cricketer specially when u r in a press ocnference
Old January 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheous
I agree he is right and probably India will go 2-0 win it...but to say something like that you are def lacking some class as an international cricketer specially when u r in a press ocnference

This thing happens routinely in international cricket. Imran Khan said his side will win 6-0 in 1982 against India. They did win 3-0. Same with Clive Lloyd's WI after 1983 world cup loss. So many Pakistani players said 2003 world cup game against India is going to be a walk on the park. But Sachin made Pakistan walk back all the way from SA to home. These things are not good when you are on the receiving end. But, only way to deal with it is by performing. Good luck to BD on that front. Let's hope BD put up a good show.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
Cricket Guru

That's how Sehwag talks...he is very straight forward and that's why he can play against top bowlers...and if we have to prove him wrong...we have to show it...Shahadat has to stop his sharapova type bowling

good luck sehwag...good luck shakib...
Old January 16, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

ICF thread on this topic
PakPassion thread on this topic
Old January 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Lol, guys! We're forgetting how Shakib said he'd win 4-1 against Zim (and that after losing the first match). He din't exactly say 'Zim is ordinary'' but he implied.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tendulkar, Ponting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganesh
India didn't go up the ladder just by winning in India. India did win couple of tests in Australia when they were #1 side in the last 10 years. No other side has done that. India has won test matches in England, SA, Pakistan, SL and WI as well in the last 4-5 years.
What do you mean by "No other side has done that"? South Africa won the last test series aganist Australia in Australia. Aus lost a series at home after 15 years. That is the problem with indian cricket fans. they forget other teams' achievement. that is why they forgot so early the superb achievement of the SA team. India only won a test in 2004 and 2007, not the series. India is a good team but they were extremely lucky too. India never won a test match in Australia with Mcgrath, Warne in the side. in 2004 adelaide test both Mcgrath, Warne and Lee were injured and when Lee came back in the next test india lost. again in perth, 2007 mcgrath, warne all retired and india won. India won in NZ when Bond was out due to ICL debate. In 2007 Trentbridge test, Both Flintoff and Harmisson were absent for injury and India won. Sounds amazing!! it is like Bangladesh winning a test against india while sachin, sehwag or harbhajan not playing