facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 17, 2005, 10:42 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default No Shame in losing

There are many negative posts about the match vs Sussex. We got to remember that we are no Aussies, not even West Indies or India.

We are a new face in the town. Many losses will continue to come our way for the next 4/5 years or so. Of course there will be glimses of hope. We better get used to it.

We have been acting like something miracle happened to our team since the lone test victory. Sure, the win boasted our morale quite a bit but we need to be mindful of our ability as a new test nation and even newer professionalism in cricket.

We need to learn to absorb the slap on the face and move along. We need to keep our expectation in check.

There is no point in kicking Ash's back. We already know he has a lot to learn and a long way to go before being considered to be somehow consistent. So as Aftab, Rajin and others. How could we expect a Ponting in any of our batsman at this time?

We need to stop the self destructive negative gestures. We do not have better choices. We got to live with what we have at a set point of time.

Instead of kicking in the back, we need to do reality check, we need to find out what went right and what went wrong. We need to find ways to do a better job.

That was just a practice match. We do not need to flex all of our muscles there. We needed to see how the foreign ground behave. We needed to see how can we deal with a completely new environment. And things can go drastically wrong in such an condition without notice.

In a practice match, what we learnt is far more important than what we lost.

Please be considerate and constructive. It is good for us and it is good for the team.

Old May 17, 2005, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

[sigh]... shei arki....
________
BUY VAPORGENIE

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:28 PM..
Old May 17, 2005, 10:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

This post is just another proof that bangladeshi people are the happiest people on earth!

Anyways, I do agree with Chinaman's constructive views.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I just don't agree that there is no shame to losing this Sussex team in a 3-day match. We could not take more than 7 wickets in 4 sessions whereas they took our 20 wickets in 4 sessions.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:54 AM
Test Cricketer

It is not so much the losses per se. I think most of us expect to lose, even on a regular basis. However, it is the magnitude of our losses and the fact that we are not even competitive most of the time that causes anguish in so many people. Imagine, an INNINGS and 200 PLUS loss to a county side. Not a 5 wicket loss or a 100 run loss but a loss that indicates we could not even put up token resistance. This has become the norm for Bangladesh. Unfortunately, we don't even see signs that this could change. Mind you, our expectations have been suitably low from the very outset. Taking a test to the fifth day is considered to be an acceptable performance. On the evidence of what we have just seen, even that is unlikeley. No wonder people are frustrated and upset. Who can blame them?

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 3:55 PM GMT, by mwrkhan.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:54 AM
Test Cricketer

Yes, There is no shame in losing.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:32 AM
Test Cricketer

i agree, but sometimes its really hard to control your emotions, specially when you see bangladeshis losing their wickets to spinners that never played for their national team, where as bangladesh was supposed to fear the seamers not the spinners, and the way some of the batsmen let the ball go and that wiped off their stumps.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

It is better to get it out of your system now. In my mind, the first game against the BU gave our players some false comfort. They thought it was going to be a walk in the park. Not quite. Complacency set in and they got what they deserved. I expect them to get their acts together better in the next match going into the test. In that sense, the timing wasn't so bad. They will reflect and have an extra game to amend their mistakes.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:46 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I know, i know....

You all have valid points. BUT....

but, if we think this is how our team is and there is nothing shameful in it, then we've to accept those warne or botham or ganguli or hook talks without complain. if we burst out in those comment we've to make sure we have reason to do so. its like two package, u choose one.

Package One
Believe that there is no shame in performance like this
and
Accept the harsh comment from other without any complain of any kind

or

Package Two
Think that there is something of shame in such performance
Get mad on anyone making any bad comment about us.

who should choose what should be a personal opinion.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Chinaman's analysis is correct, however, a team should always fight at their worst day. These same players have played brilliently in some occasions and played absolutely horrible in many occasions. It is not about their skills, its about the mindset.

We can not substitue experience, but we can play within our selves with minimum risk as we are learing about the new environment (english pitch, weather, bowlers, batsmen, their attack patterns, etc.). Anytime we tried to force anything our batsmen paid with their wicket. Few of our batsmen got out trying to leave the ball which was just few inches away from the stumps. Our batsmen don't expect the ball to swing so much but they knew this was the nature of english wicket. They need to make adjustment and workout a plan of playing properly.

Our bowling was a big shock for me. 500 + score was not the dissapointing part rather @ the rate they scored was the most disturbing aspect for me. No matter how good of a batsman one is (in this case Sussex batsmen were not the greatest) if he is not given width to play freely he is easily contained. In 3-day match or test no batsman will try to play like ODI unless he is give width and time (length). We must get our acts together in bowling. We don't hope for big innings from our batsmen; bowling is our main weapon and we have to be spot on that if we want to get any respectable results in the tests.

As for the fans behavior, I can only hope that they will not be so quick in giving up on our team. We will be on par with rest of the test nations but it will take time. Chinaman has explained it very accurately and we should try to reasses our expectations and support our team to achieve the target of this tour.

Best of luck to all of us.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper
Sure There is no shame in losing in general... but the way we lost it is .... very lozzar Kotha.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:21 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
but sometimes its really hard to control your emotions, specially when you see bangladeshis losing their wickets to spinners that never played for their national team, where as bangladesh was supposed to fear the seamers not the spinners, and the way some of the batsmen let the ball go and that wiped off their stumps.
I guess pressure got into our youngsters; which led them to play incorrect shot against a 'LEFT ARM SPINNER' in Yardy.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:21 PM
Retired BC Admin

Few points to ponder upon. One Yardly made a huge difference. That gentleman is said to be enjoying the summer of his life. He single handedly tore us apart.

Bashar is already injured. I do not see any point to try harder and harder to save a practice mactch and unnecessarily risking other players for the real match.

We had a harse lesson about the so-called English condition. We'll sure capitalize on this next time around.

Now we can cheer a better option than Mashrafee. We even have a potential great batsman in the making in Rahim.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:24 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
In my mind, the first game against the BU gave our players some false comfort. They thought it was going to be a walk in the park. Not quite. Complacency set in and they got what they deserved.
I think so, too.

Except that I wanted some better commitment from our younger players than they have shown in this match. What the hell - if they don't want to play in the English county cricket by playing some good cricket, then why should I care?
Old May 17, 2005, 12:36 PM
Test Cricketer

If bd players + fans dont get ashamed after this loss than may be we are not worthy of being a test nation.

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 5:36 PM GMT, by faceoff.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
If bd players + fans dont get ashamed after this loss than may be we are not worthy of being a test nation.

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 5:36 PM GMT, by faceoff.
Well said. May we learn some lesson and apply the lesson in future.

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 5:46 PM GMT, by reyme.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper
Sure There is no shame in losing in general... but the way we lost it is .... very lozzar Kotha.
If BD team take a such a little game like that, I am afraid BD Cricket future looking very dark. If you want to play, you have to get use to loosing, pressure from meadia and fans and you have to bounce right back.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:10 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

That's no good , ya should support the moderators , one saying : "Shame Shame" otherone saying "No shame on loosing" i am so confused , don't know which one to choose but there is a shame in every lose , that's for sure . On the otherhand we didn't go to England to win , we just went there to visit .......so , their parents can say to everyone : "polai bilat gesey"

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 6:27 PM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:16 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Logen

If BD team take a such a little game like that, I am afraid BD Cricket future looking very dark. If you want to play, you have to get use to loosing, pressure from meadia and fans and you have to bounce right back.
We'll bounce back anyway. Just looking ahed .......
Old May 17, 2005, 01:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangla amar Maa
That's no good , ya should support the moderators , one saying : "Shame Shame" otherone saying "No shame on loosing" i am so confused , don't know which one choose
J moderator apnake ban kore or support a jan.Tahole next time ektu consider korbe.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don;t think he ever been banned unless he is 'dhuka' & 'Desh Bangla'. The Avater looks like mix of them! So I don;t know!
Old May 17, 2005, 07:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I agree with chinaman. Just because we won our first test doesnt mean we should win every practice match (even if it is second string). Remember if it wasnt for one play this match could have been closer. Yardy had his 257 and 5 wicket. If he wasnt doing so good this could have been a close match.
Old May 18, 2005, 04:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Personally i think some of the players are trying to save themselves for the first test match especially the bowlers. But as long as the bowlers learn from these practice matches where they are going wrong and what they are doing right in to the test matches.

I would rather they bat/bowl better in the test matches than in the practice games. But the only consolation we can take from this game is that Sussex only took 18 wickets and the 2 wickets they did not take was of our premier batsmen..
Old May 18, 2005, 04:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

from my view there no shme in losing inpractice match the point is they get to learn the british pitch so they would know how to play on next match and tests.
Old May 18, 2005, 04:58 AM

No shame in loosing = Problem define -> Work on it -> progress ( result )

Otherwise loosing is always shameful. The way we loose the game to sussex, is nothing but full of shame.