facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Take us lightly Gayle!

Old October 16, 2012, 06:38 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Have the WI players eat some shahi footpath chotpoti. Shara raaat bathroom ei Gangnam style cholbe tader. Series jita amader thekay ke?
Old October 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

First Test match of the year, and we don't even have a schedule for training or preparation! Great head coach indeed...
Old October 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivfan
The thing is, WIndieFan and the WICB are big fans of Powell, even though he has a Test batting average of just 25....

So, his name will be one of the first pencilled in. IMHO, Powell needs to do a lot more than score one Test century to earn his place in the side. Adrian Barath scored a Test century, and he's declined to be out of the reckoning. Yes, Powell scored a Test against a weak Kiwi side, but I'm not convinced that he's the long-term solution to finding an opening partner who can actually stick with Gayle.

The problem with Dwayne Bravo is that he hardly ever plays any four-day cricket these days, so has done little to earn a recall to the Test side, even though he's a fixture in the limited overs version. But if he's making more money as a T20 player than he ever did as a Test player, I suppose the question is, why should he?
Erm i guess you haven't heard of young players developing AND improving right? lets remember Powell scored a ton in England against England Lions, then came back to the caribbean and scored a big ton against India-A AND THEN went and scored another big ton against NZ, so what more could he have done exactly? the fact is you might think NZ are a "weak" team but Gayle barely done better against them than Powell did, which is why he will rightly keep his place and i fully expect him to do well in this tour.

And in closing Barath scored a ton on his debut and then went downhill, while Powell started off bad and is now improving, so comparing them is a little naive imo.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
Erm i guess you haven't heard of young players developing AND improving right? lets remember Powell scored a ton in England against England Lions, then came back to the caribbean and scored a big ton against India-A AND THEN went and scored another big ton against NZ, so what more could he have done exactly? the fact is you might think NZ are a "weak" team but Gayle barely done better against them than Powell did, which is why he will rightly keep his place and i fully expect him to do well in this tour.

And in closing Barath scored a ton on his debut and then went downhill, while Powell started off bad and is now improving, so comparing them is a little naive imo.
no offense but Powell looks like a terrible player, as bad as most of our batsmen which is not a compliment. Should invest in better players for test matches.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
no offense but Powell looks like a terrible player, as bad as most of our batsmen which is not a compliment. Should invest in better players for test matches.
I believe your statement is misguided, the boy is only 22 for god sake, how many 22 year old openers are scoring tons at international level these days? i can tell you you won't find many.
Old October 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
how many 22 year old openers are scoring tons at international level these days?
Mohammad Ashraful back in his hay days. And yet he was only 17 when he scored his maiden test century. But that doesnt necessarily mean he is a good player.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/con...ds/282986.html
Old October 21, 2012, 03:05 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Warne McGrath and S Waugh

My Test XI:

Tamim
Nazimuddin
Monimul
Shakib
Nasir
Mahmudullah
Rahim
Sunny
Enamul Haq Jr
Rubel
Shafiul

Number 3 has been a problem for so long you need some new blood and stick with it
Old October 21, 2012, 04:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Have the WI players eat some shahi footpath chotpoti. Shara raaat bathroom ei Gangnam style cholbe tader. Series jita amader thekay ke?
I would take an honest victory over this anyday
Old October 21, 2012, 04:42 AM
Cricket Sage

This is the strongest WIndies lineup in contemporary times. Taking things lightly and casually will not really help to our cause.
Old October 21, 2012, 04:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAus
My Test XI:

Tamim
Nazimuddin
Monimul
Shakib
Nasir
Mahmudullah
Rahim
Sunny
Enamul Haq Jr
Rubel
Shafiul

Number 3 has been a problem for so long you need some new blood and stick with it
Two changes: Nazmul Hossain in for Shafiul Islam, Naeem Islam in for Mominul Haque. actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Both Mominul Haque and Naeem given a go in tests....
Old October 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
I believe your statement is misguided, the boy is only 22 for god sake, how many 22 year old openers are scoring tons at international level these days? i can tell you you won't find many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Mohammad Ashraful back in his hay days. And yet he was only 17 when he scored his maiden test century. But that doesnt necessarily mean he is a good player.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/con...ds/282986.html
When you say that, you are considering both BD and WI having an equally in efficient system of development in place. That's not true, so that guy in WI has a much better chance of turning into a great player even having lesser potential than the guy in your example.

Look at the guys in their adhoc squad that we have beaten in their backyard, during players' strike... See, some of them have improved so much to find a place in their national team in various formats. While our players are still the same in quality and we are still looking towards new players... Our system doesn't improve a player, it's inefficient. If someone like Shakib improved, it's not the credit of the system.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shiv Chanderpaul

Interesting news for Bangla fans....

Kemar Roach is out with injury, and he's been replaced by Fidel Edwards in the squad:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/589206.html
Old November 1, 2012, 09:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Yea Mike I posted a thread about that news already. The bangla fans are still trembling in their boots at the idea of Edwards on the team though.
Old November 2, 2012, 05:03 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Beshi beshi kurbanir mangso khao. Dekhben ball e ball e chokka marbe with ease. Just like Tamim did today in ncl.:S

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old November 2, 2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Beshi beshi kurbanir mangso khao. Dekhben ball e ball e chokka marbe with ease. Just like Tamim did today in ncl.:S

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Now that chhokka Naeem got his form back along with Enam Jr., our test team should be as below if we want to win... :

TI
Naeem
Mominul
Mushy
Mullah
Shakib
Nasir
Enam Jr
Sunny
RBX
Shahadat/Nazmul

12. Gazi/sarker
13. Anamul
14. Zunaid
Old November 2, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

naeem for sure in the squad but i think he should get a middle order spot if he is in the XI, despite naeem being a batsman that likes to stay at the crease for long lengths facing the new ball and wearing it down and taking the shine off it is much different to beginning your innings with the ball already quite a few overs old and naeem doesn't open. if he's being looked at as an opener he really needs to bat as opener or #3 in domestics. he's been batting at #4. plus nasir has proven himself much more at the international level in tests and ODIs than naeem has.

also i'm interested to understand why so many pick nasir for the #7 role. he doesn't bowl much, and he is one player that has a cool head on his shoulders. for me the main battle for batting positions in the XI is between nasir and naeem, i think only one can get a spot and they'll be at #4 or #5 depending on where you want shakib to bat. BD isn't SA, they don't have the luxury of stacking the batting down to #7 (with duminy) and still having a world class bowling attack. BD needs the batting strength but also needs the bowling strength which is why i believe #7 needs to go to some sort of an allrounder even if it's a keeper batsman. with that people will say put mushy there, that's great and all for batting depth but he's been one of the best test batsmen for BD over the last few years so it only makes sense to put him in the top 6, best spot for him is at #6 where he has a bit more time to make an innings but can also finish and bat with the tail (which he's also been good at).

1 tamim
2 anamul
3 mominul
4 nasir/shakib
5 nasir/shakib
6 mushy
7 dhiman/sohag/babu
8 sunny
9 enamul
10 rubel
11 nazmul

junaid is not an option as opener imo, he failed there, where he was best at was #3 so for those who want him in the team i think you need to place him there rather than opener.

shahadat can be back up pacer, though shafiul is also an option. we could have had one of the up and coming pacers as a back up but abul has been failing and none of the ones in the A team did well and the best prospects haven't been given chnaces (abu and al amin).

sarkar, asif and shuvagata are definitely ones to watch but they miss out this time. for pacers we keep an eye on abu, al amin, kazi kamrul, subashis and sajidul. for spinners i think we are pretty set, saqlain is the next in and for variation we can look at nur and tapash for some leggy's down the line but for now we stick with shakib, sunny, sohag and enamul.

where is riyad? against quality test teams he's not a consistent bowling option and he's not been doing well with the bat for awhile plus middle order spots are tough to get right now with nasir and shakib doing well, mushy being a permanent fixture and naeem scoring well in the NCL. plus shuvagata has a good record to, and if mominul isn't being considered as a #3 then he's surely up there as a middle order contender to.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
also i'm interested to understand why so many pick nasir for the #7 role. he doesn't bowl much, and he is one player that has a cool head on his shoulders. for me the main battle for batting positions in the XI is between nasir and naeem, i think only one can get a spot and they'll be at #4 or #5 depending on where you want shakib to bat.
This is exactly why Nasir should bat at #7 for tests only. Tests isnt T20 where you need to score quick runs all the time. The role of the #7 depends purely on the situation and Nasir will fit well into the equation because he can change gears anytime he wants to. Personally i want Nasir to bat at #6.

Naeem should definitely be in the starting national team.

I understand why you want Nasir to bat higher up the order. But think of him as Mike Hussey. Hussey is more than capable to be able to bat at #4 or #5 in tests but at #6 he is really dependable for the team. Even though Hussey bats at #6 he has a batting average of 50 and has 16 hundreds to his name. And there were many situations where he saved Australia from defeats because he hung on with the tail. Thats the sort of player i think Nasir is so thats why i want Nasir at #6.

The importance of Hussey to the Aussie team at #6 sums it up when he made a 107-run 10th-wicket partnership with Glenn McGrath which i think saved that test match. I think Nasir fits that role perfectly so i say leave him at #6. Dont get Tests confused with T20 or ODIs. Batting at #6 is just as important as opening because at #6 you have develop the art of hanging on with the tail and scoring runs which i think is a real art in itself.

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Shahriar Nafees
3. Mominul Haque
4. Naeem Islam
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Nasir Hossain
7. Mushfiqur Rahim
8. Elias Sunny
9. Enamul Haque jnr
10. Nazmul Hossain
11. Rubel Hossain
Old November 2, 2012, 09:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

hussey batted most of his test career at the #4 and #5 positions, opened a small amount of times and has played a bit at #6 (13 matches) but he played 25 matches at #5 and 37 at #4 out of his 73 test matches.

nasir being calm and collected means the higher he bats in the middle order then the more runs he should make.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
hussey batted most of his test career at the #4 and #5 positions, opened a small amount of times and has played a bit at #6 (13 matches) but he played 25 matches at #5 and 37 at #4 out of his 73 test matches.

nasir being calm and collected means the higher he bats in the middle order then the more runs he should make.
But Hussey now bats at #6 and has made that spot his own. Thats what i meant by the similarities between Hussey and Nasir (not by the way they play) but because of the roles they play in their team. Nasir is the perfect fit at #6. He will play the Hussey role in the team and i think he will be an asset to the team there. Naeem is scoring 100's at #4 so let him stay there. Shakib has always batted at #5 in tests so leave him there. That means Nasir at #6.