facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 14, 2005, 11:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Searching Our Past: Cricketer Ram Chad Goala

Forum member Pagol-Chagol mentioned the name of a old-time Bangladesh Cricket Player in one of his recent post. The name he mentioned is "Ram Chad Goala".

Right after reading this name, I quickly remembered that Ram Chad Goala once was a famous name in Bangladesh Cricket. In my childhood, i used to read this name in newspaper sport reports and also used to hear this name many many times in Dhaka club-level cricket radio commentary. But I could not remember anything else about Ram Chad Goala. I tried to find this name in Cricinfo Bangladesh Players page--but unfortunately this name is not there.

I'm just curious to know something details about this player--who was he, how was he etc. Is there anyone who can recall some memory about Ram Chad Goala?

Old March 15, 2005, 12:58 AM
Test Cricketer

He was a spinner, can't remember exactly what type of spinner. He was quite good at the club level. Used to get a few wickets in virtually every match. Played for Abahoni, I think. I don't know his stats.
Old March 15, 2005, 04:19 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

May be his name is not in the Cricinfo site because he was a player when cricinfo didn't exist?
Old March 15, 2005, 05:06 AM
Test Cricketer

I was lucky to see some of his bowling for Abahoni though he was old by then. But he was very good at that level. I can't remember exactly but most likely he was left arm ortho!
Old March 15, 2005, 11:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Bradman was a player when internet didn't exist.
Old March 15, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cricket Sage

Ram Chad Goala was very effective spinner for Dhaka League. For some reason he never figured out how to bat though. the #11 slot was always reseved for him.
Old March 15, 2005, 11:20 AM
Club Cricketer

Goala was a natural leg spinner from Mymensingh. He was not very serious about cricket. He was a regualr in Mymensingh league and started playing in Dhaka late in his career. I think he played for Bangladesh (or BCB XI) against some visiting team (probably West Bengla XI)
Old March 15, 2005, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

I heard Goala played in Dhaka league until he was 50.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blah
C'mon...some prespective please.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by zakir
Goala was a natural leg spinner from Mymensingh. He was not very serious about cricket.
Yeah, he was notorious for his lack of fitness or even wanting to warm up before bowling. He would take about three steps and deliver the ball, that was his warm up regimen.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
I heard Goala played in Dhaka league until he was 50.
Are you kidding? Who knows you may be right.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
ahha...bradman r goala ek holo naki?
Old March 15, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
Quote:
Probably same age.
Old March 15, 2005, 04:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
Quote:
Bradman is a different issue.
But cricinfo has info page on many many old-time Bangladeshi players who ended their career before Cricinfo came into its existence.
I wonder why they don't have any info on Goala?
May be he never played cricket for Bangladesh Team in any List-A or ICC match.
Old March 15, 2005, 05:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Someone mentioned that Goala wasn't in the cricinfo website because cricinfo didn't exist when the goala guy played.

I thought it was only reasonable by pointing out the inconsistency in reasoning.

I mean comon, who the hell is this goala guy? I bet 98% of the posters here doesn't know this guy. He most likely never played any first-class match in his life, let alone international games.

For what reason he would or should be in the cricinfo website?

Blah
Old March 15, 2005, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

There was a related thread where you could find the discussion about our long forgot cricketers where Ram Chand Goala was also remembered:

Should we forget them!!!
Old March 15, 2005, 05:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Someone mentioned that Goala wasn't in the cricinfo website because cricinfo didn't exist when the goala guy played.

I thought it was only reasonable by pointing out the inconsistency in reasoning.

I mean comon, who the hell is this goala guy? I bet 98% of the posters here doesn't know this guy. He most likely never played any first-class match in his life, let alone international games.

For what reason he would or should be in the cricinfo website? Blah
I guess you should rather say he never played any international games, let alone first-class match.
For your information, First-Class Match was a rare commodity in Bangladesh until just couple of years ago. First-Class Match is a new era for Bangladesh Cricket and most of our pre-worldcup players never played any First-Class Match. Most of them played International matches including ODI. But only the new guys are getting chance to play First-Class Match and National league is the only first class tournament in Bangladesh and this came into existence just couple of years ago.

Also for your information, ignorance of 98% forum members does not give you the right to show disrespect to any old-time players by saying--"who the hell is this goala guy". Even if your info is correct and 98% of forum members does not know this players---this does not necessarily mean that this particular players is a rubish thing and does not deserve a place in our past.

Edited on, March 15, 2005, 10:57 PM GMT, by babubangla.
Reason: Spelling
Old March 15, 2005, 07:02 PM
Test Cricketer

I am extremely sorry for disrespecting a player most people hardly know about.

My apologies.

I also think we should send a complain to cricinfo for not listing him in their website. I mean, how mean is that?

Blah
Old March 15, 2005, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:

My apologies.

I also think we should send a complain to cricinfo for not listing him in their website. I mean, how mean is that?

Blah
haha...i agree with u...the name ram chand goala was completely unknown to me until today. imo, there is no reason why cricinfo should include his name in the bd players profile. even thinking of it is unreasonable.
Old March 15, 2005, 07:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Goala would be very happy indeed if he saw the amount of 'airtime' he's been given here. Anyway, I don't blame cricinfo for his exclusion. He was very popular at the club level but I think he never played for the national side.
Old March 15, 2005, 08:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

My apologies.

Blah
There you go. You are squared away now.

The Cricinfo part...thats a good humor. But the first part is not. Glad you understood.

Goala may be excluded becasue he played only at the club level. I did not even know how was he, how good was he. All I knew ..he was a knwon name during his time. But glad I have the lesson for my life not to disrespect anyone just becasue someone is unknown or unimportant.

But still I think if someone like Ilias Miah or ziaul islam has a page in cricinfo, I guess players like goala should have one too.

Edited on, March 16, 2005, 1:19 AM GMT, by babubangla.
Old March 15, 2005, 08:42 PM
Test Cricketer

If you are gonna talk about famous club cricketers.
Talk about the ones who actually mattered. The ones who actually made headlines, the ones who made you feel like grabbing that bat/ball and going to the field and play some cricket yourself.

One of my all time favourite was "Dulu" he was a leftie pacer. And I believe at the later stage of his career he played for abahani. It was such a delight just to watch him bowl. He was very well built but short. Looks a lot like Gough of England. But his bowling reminds you of Wasim Akram. Absolute delight to your eyes just to watch him bowl.

My school was few blocks away from Abahani Cricket ground. Even though I used to practice for my nirman team in the field, and was practically almost always there.
I still used to bunk my early morning classes (some of them not all of them) just to watch Dulu practice his bowling. They used to use the Cement pitch that was close to the Abahani Ground Office, the one that almost touches the wall close to the main road.

I also saw Enamul Haque Moni there. I actually saw him in club matches, many times. He had this really nice action that for some weird reason reminds you of kumble, yet he used to turn the ball a good bit, at the some time he used to make the ball bounce unike most spinners.

I saw Jahangir alam bat in that ground, he was actually a boring batsmen, in my opinion.

I saw Faruque bat in the ground. I always felt that Faruque was a better batsmen than Bulbul, he was a bit unlucky. He was an amazing batsment to watch.
I actually met him in person, while he was still a cricketer, in his cricket store in New market (I think it was new market, not sure). One of my friends did very good in SSC and his parents were buying him the whole cricket set. I couldn't miss this oppurtunity, so I tagged along. I remember me and my friend was wispering to each other and was hoping to get his autograph on our way out, but he was gone by the time we were done.

I saw and heard alot about Prince. And I knew why people thought it was scary to bat against this fast bowler. I think the Prince game I saw, was his last club game. I am not sure though.

I saw bulbul, Shanto,Saiful (rahmah or hassan?, pacer) in that ground.

Those are players, you rather not want to forget. Players you hoped would be remember through stats and records in cricket related webpages.

I mean who was goala? ( actually I kinda remember his name, but he wasn't really that famous or that good.)

Blah

ps, excuse my spells too tired and lazy to even bother checking.
Old March 15, 2005, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

saiful islam...played in national team. had best bowling figures for bd in odi's (4/26 i think) for a long time
Old March 15, 2005, 09:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Thanks for the correction, so many names were popping out. And so many I forgot to mention...
Old March 16, 2005, 01:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

>> I saw Faruque bat in the ground. I always felt that Faruque was a better batsmen than Bulbul, he was a bit unlucky.

I also think Faruque was a better batsman than his stat say.