facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 12, 2009, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib
Default Bangladesh needs to embrace T20

With IPL around the corner as well as the T20 world cup and the future of the Bangladesh National Team, I thought I’d open this topic up for a full on discussion on the future of cricket and T20 vs. Test in particular. Before anybody starts bashing me for supporting T20, note that I am not a newcomer to Cricket and in fact I grew up in Australia during my early years in the late 70s/early 80s during the Packer revolution. I remember my dad and older brother coming to terms with One Day cricket as it was not ‘real test cricket’.
Whether you like it or not, cricket requires money to survive and hence is a business. Decisions need to be made to generate money. Test cricket for the past couple of decades has survived on the revenue brought in by the limited over game. Now with times changing and people having less and less time to spend on sports (barring us who choose to blog during work hours), the T20 format has been introduced. As skeptical as I was initially, I have come to embrace the format and look forward to it being the flagbearer to break cricket globally and into the future.
For the Bangladeshi fans fearing that T20 engagements will damage our Test playing ability, please consider the following:
• Bangladesh was granted test status not because we were qualified to compete but because ICC sought to expand cricket and felt that after Zimbabwe, we were the next in line. The 99 win against Pakistan helped secure that
• Zimbabwe and Bangladesh both gained test status as a result of their ODI success
• Had Bangladesh performed competitively since becoming a test nation, I am pretty certain that Kenya and Ireland due to their performance in 2003 and 2007 world cups respectively would now be being considered for test cricket
• For every Multan, Fattullah and recent scares to NZ and SL, we have numerous innings defeats
This is not to put down our national team but just to keep things in perspective. We have come a long way since 2000 in test cricket but our growth rate is nowhere compared to how the other 8 nations have improved.
ICC needs to make a decision on Test cricket. The current bi-lateral format is running its course. England plays every series to prepare for the Ashes. Winning the Ashes is considered success even if it comes at the expense of losing all other series’ and vice versa. Australia plays hard only to protect their top spot and complain about ‘too much cricket’ when playing anyone other than SA, ENG and IND. India doesn’t’ care to invite us over for a series as there is no money involved there. So now if we are to believe that Test cricket should continue on how do we go from here? Adding another test team (or when Zimbabwe returns) will only clutter the schedule that much more. There needs to be a solution where every game matters.
My suggestion is simple. Create a 30 month FTP (2 and a half years) where the 10 teams are split into two leagues. Teams ranked #1 to #5 play each other in a home and away 3 test series as does #6 to #10. Until Zimbabwe returns, Kenya can take their slot. At the end of the series’, the team coming in last in the top tier will be demoted and the top team in the 2nd tier will be promoted. The team coming in 4th in the top tier will play a three test series against the runner up in the 2nd tier to prevent demotion. The top two teams will play a 5 test series to determine the championship crown. The higher seeds in each instance gets the home advantage. If the boards wish to add in additional test matches, that is their prerogative but will not be considered part of the Test championship. This will create more competitive series’ and every test will begin to matter. Countries like Bangladesh will get a shot at those not playing well (currently NZ, WI (exception being the last match against ENG)) instead of not getting that chance because of the current FTP. If the popularity of test cricket increases, there can be a 3rd tier with the associate nations having the same delegation/promotion formula to Tier 2.
As far as T20, it needs to be nurtured and marketed as the future of cricket. I wish ICC had taken the IPL concept for the national teams and created a home away annual league for a world championship every year. T20 will eventually get cricket into Olympics and will raise the money to keep Tests and 50 over ODIs alive.
T20 is a different game and it will breed a different style of athletes. There are those who are gifted in athletics and can compete in the 100m, 200m and 400m dash and others that chose to specialize in only a specific event. Cricket can be the same. There is no clause that we have to see the same set of players in every single format. I don’t think the champions trophy is likely to succeed because at the end of the day it will be the same group of international players playing on different teams and different leagues.
I hope BCB realizes the future in T20 and puts us in the forefront. At least in the T20 we are among the top 8 and that gives us an easier path to the 2nd round in the World cup based on the format that exists today. I’m not saying we lose focus on test and ODI, just merely embrace T20 and recognize it as a viable format and try to capitalize on being on the forefront of it.

Old February 12, 2009, 11:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Thanks!! Here is a another suggestion. How about quit Test cricket and concentrate on T20 and ODIs? Will generate lot of money. Since (1) money is the main goal here (2) T20 is the future, embracing T20 by BCB is the way to go. Who needs test? Why continue to see innings loss after inning loss? I just wonder if we quit test how many countries will invite us to play One dayers and the crown jewel T20? Every year 5 ODIs and 10 T20 should be good enough.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:32 AM
Cricket Sage

I thought Bangladesh alreaDY Bangladesh embraced T20 more than any other country.They like T20 so much, they even use T20 stategy in TEST matches.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Thanks!! Here is a another suggestion. How about quit Test cricket and concentrate on T20 and ODIs? Will generate lot of money. Since (1) money is the main goal here (2) T20 is the future, embracing T20 by BCB is the way to go. Who needs test? Why continue to see innings loss after inning loss? I just wonder if we quit test how many countries will invite us to play One dayers and the crown jewel T20? Every year 5 ODIs and 10 T20 should be good enough.
nice sarcasm. Please re-read the post. I have no where stated that we should give up Test but merely that we need to start focusing on T20 as an important format. If you had the patience to understand the post you'd see there is a suggestion for Test cricket in there as well
Old February 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Good thoughts Raynman.
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I dont know if BCB has embraced it or not but all our players seem to have - all the national players are playing T20 style in the domestic league...look at riyad for example today
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

We are not rejecting T20. Our players skill and style also suits with shorter vertion, so no doubt we must embrace T20. But at the same time we must play Test cricket with equal seriousness. Test cricket may not have money but that's real cricket, no other form of Cricket can match it. It tests your skill to maximum. Can't live without it. We must prevail in Test Cricket.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

agreed. But where you feel that the attention to T20 should not take away our focus from Test, I feel that due to the concept of Test being 'real cricket' we shouldn't undermine T20 either.

My point is that all three formats are viable and we need to embrace all equally. In T20, however, we may have the advantage to establish ourselves in the elite more so than the ODI or Test.

Test is important but I don't think we'll get anywhere with the current bi-lateral FTP concept. We will only get 2 test series and wait around forever to play against the teams we could be competitive against. Thats why I made the suggestions about revamping Test cricket.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
Cricket Guru

can't imagine all playing 20/20 with BD ...Bermuda, Madagaskar, etc. etc.
i doubt they will include 20/20 formated BD team/most efficient BD team play with elite team group...you already see the invisible grouping of matches and fixtures..
Old February 12, 2009, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

We should withdraw from T20 WC or send our has been (like Tusher, JO,I would not mind Alok and Aftab)
Raynman,
TE right. No sarcasm. We are playing all these ODI and T20I because we are test playing nation. Not the other way around. The rate of our growth is too low to expect any senile neutral support to keep our status as test nation. Playing T20 would even slow down our growth. Even some of us started questioned why we are still test playing country. If we do not improve, our day as test nation is counted. Once we lost (I do not think we would lose rather then it would be suspended because of the hated BCCI) you would find that there would be 5 ODI in a year agaienst quality opposition. Look Zimbabwe and Kenya.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Agreed to the core, Raynman.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
nice sarcasm. Please re-read the post. I have no where stated that we should give up Test but merely that we need to start focusing on T20 as an important format. If you had the patience to understand the post you'd see there is a suggestion for Test cricket in there as well
Yes, it was a sarcasm. I know you didn't say to give up the test status. I suggested myself as an option. That suggestion is as good as your suggestion. The test cricket suggestion you put there is simply not acceptable by PCB, WICB, SLCB, NZCB, and ECB. How would spineless ICC would make three/four boards to agree be in the second tier? Think realistic here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
agreed. But where you feel that the attention to T20 should not take away our focus from Test, I feel that due to the concept of Test being 'real cricket' we shouldn't undermine T20 either.

My point is that all three formats are viable and we need to embrace all equally. In T20, however, we may have the advantage to establish ourselves in the elite more so than the ODI or Test.

Test is important but I don't think we'll get anywhere with the current bi-lateral FTP concept. We will only get 2 test series and wait around forever to play against the teams we could be competitive against. Thats why I made the suggestions about revamping Test cricket.
I totally disagree with all your points. In my opinion at this point of time, all three formats should not be looked at equally. T20 should be banned in BD, Zim. More 4 day games should be played in the domestic matches with better pitches, umpires, coaches, and some inclusion of foreign players.

Once we improve in test (results), you can have the reigns. Cause the ball would already started to roll. There is no stopping now (in test cricket). Then you can have all the T20 tournaments you want play.

Two different thought process of course. BCB, or any other board can't change the current ICC settings. One can't just impose and say now you can't have Ashes anymore or India-Pakistan matches. Those ideas would not fly.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old February 12, 2009, 01:11 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good post Raynman.

The way i see it, there are many positives to take from T20, esp for a young and upcoming country like Bangladesh.

T20 clearly reduces the difference between the strength of the teams and teams like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe can fancy their luck almost everytime they face a stronger opponent.

One of our biggest weakness is the mental strength and the self believe that "WE CAN"!!
Giving our boys more chance to compete with other established teams with the notion that we can win the game, irrespective of the format, creates the self-belief "winning" culture within the team.

They can carry this self belief to the next format of the game, ie, ODI and start winning more consistenty in that format. If we can do that, it would help to create a positive mindset and environment within the team.

With that renewed confidence, they can approach the "real cricket" and apply themselves to prove their worth where it really matters.

So, i think young and inexperienced countries like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe should embrace the concept of T20 whole heartedly and use that as a base to develop further.

The whole question of adaptation lies on the basic knowledge of the game. Offcourse different players are made for different versions of the game, but someone with a good adaptability can adjust themselves to any level applied. After all, this is not a new arena they are walking. They are already changing their gears when playing test matches after a odi series or vice versa.

...and with the two tier test system, i think its inevitable. They wont pen it down, but things will shape up in that direction and i believe the cricket boards around the world will have a some sort of understanding and acceptance ( even unwillingly if need be) towards this whole two tier system.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 12, 2009, 01:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Ryanman..I made some similar points in another thread a few days ago ( Alok vs Sakib in 20/20 thread ) that veered off from the original intent of that particular thread. Don't want to drag it in here, but, you can always go there and have a look.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:38 PM
Club Cricketer

For this T20 world cup...do we have any big hitter in our line up???
are there any big hitter in the squad...are ther going to be any new call up?

so gona miss Aftab and Alok ...during this world cup!!!

how are the tiger management makeing them ready for the world cup???
Old February 12, 2009, 01:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
T20 should be banned in BD, Zim. More 4 day games should be played in the domestic matches with better pitches, umpires, coaches, and some inclusion of foreign players.

Once we improve in test (results), you can have the reigns. Cause the ball would already started to roll. There is no stopping now (in test cricket). Then you can have all the T20 tournaments you want play.
TE, By then you will lose the ability of playing T20. Another decade + struggle to get things moving & net loss in between the money & easy way of getting some self belief as Rabz speaks etc etc. Many of the best players in Test cricket like RD, are simply not a T20 material. But the players who have continued playing all form from early stage they don't find it difficult to adjust in all form of cricket.

The best I can see, to accomodate your concern is that, to have a completely seperate T20 & Test Team, while in ODI team there can be players from both fraternity, as ODIs needs both kind of players depending on the match conditions.

Banning a form of cricket completely, will do more harm than benefit. If BD wasn't given the chance to play testc cricket, could we play such competitive tests, that we played against SL/NZ/SA in recent times? Same will happen with T20 if we leave it altogether. Most importantly, The Board & the current generation of players will miss the opportunity of earning the money which is much needed for the development of the cricketers & cricket.

SO I think we should play all formats with equal importance. every format has it's positives and negatives. Though I personally don't think there is any negative in any of the formats. ODI has made positive contributions in test cricket & cricket as a whole, why not T20? That's what I feel.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Whyyyyyyy? Is it because T20 is game of chances? You can almost say its outcome follows a binary distribution like flipping a coin. You can win just by luck and it suits BD because by virtue of shear talent and application alone they cannot win. So, 20/20 offers a better odd for BD to win. Then why not invent a 10/10 or a 5/5 or for that matter a 1ball/1ball? Oh I forgot! Actually there is already a three balls version in the tie-breaker of 50/50. Even that might be too much for BD!
Old February 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
TE, By then you will lose the ability of playing T20. Another decade + struggle to get things moving & net loss in between the money & easy way of getting some self belief as Rabz speaks etc etc. Many of the best players in Test cricket like RD, are simply not a T20 material. But the players who have continued playing all form from early stage they don't find it difficult to adjust in all form of cricket.
Self belief, lol. 4 years have passed Bd team had the self-belief of beating big boys in ODIs. That didn't do us any good in Test. All loses barring weather. Mostly by innings. Oi self belief'er dorkar nai. T20 thekey only self belief they will get is we may be able to win 1 out of 3 in this format, but 0 out 30 in test.

1) First of all, T20 "jodi laigga jai" cheap thrill method will not be lost from BD cricket as long as there is AAA and other players as such. And by chance if we lose the ability to play T20, that doesn't hurt BCB's FTP, or their earnings at all. BD Cricket is safe.

2) However, by any chance, if we lose Test status, that is it buddy. That is the end of Banglacricket.com also. If we don't start performing in Test soon we will lose our status. Top eight BOARDS will agree to that before they agree on two tier system. (Say, I am wrong!! Please)

Risk mgmt that is all you need to do. The threats are enormous and real. You put your resources to fight of the fire which may destroy your existence. They you focus on other issues. Test, ODIs and then T20. If Ireland wins the T20 WorldCup they will not be given test status next day. Simple fact.
Quote:
The best I can see, to accomodate your concern is that, to have a completely seperate T20 & Test Team, while in ODI team there can be players from both fraternity, as ODIs needs both kind of players depending on the match conditions.
This may be a temporary solution but then the test players salary must be very high to keep them grounded. I would still prefer a overall ban on this format only for BD and Zim.
Quote:
Banning a form of cricket completely, will do more harm than benefit. If BD wasn't given the chance to play testc cricket, could we play such competitive tests, that we played against SL/NZ/SA in recent times? Same will happen with T20 if we leave it altogether. Most importantly, The Board & the current generation of players will miss the opportunity of earning the money which is much needed for the development of the cricketers & cricket.
The ban should be temporary. Very essential to make BD players/fans understand which format is more important and why. T20 teaches the very opposite that is necessary for Test which is Patience, perseverance, diligence. T20 teaches you to go after bowlers doesn't matter where your foot is (technique). Run pailai hoilo. This is a direct conflict with the core values of test.
Quote:
SO I think we should play all formats with equal importance. every format has it's positives and negatives. Though I personally don't think there is any negative in any of the formats. ODI has made positive contributions in test cricket & cricket as a whole, why not T20? That's what I feel.
You guys are looking at T20 from Australia, India, SA, Eng all the established nations point of view. We are not those country. Unless we learn how to be patient while batting we will not get close to them. Again I have no problem what the world does with T20. Or even invent T10, F5. My concern is Bangladesh, part of Zimbabwe also cause we are in the same boat.

Getting few wins in T20, does not do us any good to be recognised as cricketing power. We do not have the luxury of services of players like De Silva, Ranatunga. We have make our own De Silva and Ranatunga's. Emphasizing T20 will only slow down the process.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 12, 2009 at 03:25 PM..
Old February 12, 2009, 03:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

agree totally raynman
Old February 12, 2009, 04:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shak,Tam,Soum,Musy,Mustaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpro96
agree totally raynman
bd don"t need to learn T20 cric, they should concentrate on test match.
Old February 12, 2009, 05:28 PM
Cricket Sage

I agree with all of you.
Old February 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I agree with all of you.
I agree with Fazal Bhai
Old February 12, 2009, 06:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe
Default hmm

It was abt time raynman opened this thread. Much appreciated.

Get ready to make a deep run into the Twenty20 World cup.

India & Pakistan doesnt know whats about to hit them.

BD will beat the brakes off that kushi.
Old February 12, 2009, 06:56 PM
Cricket Sage

it is true to some degree that T20 will hurt our cricket..but at the same time the other top 8 nations is not gonna wait for us..we are already so far behind..let's not fall behind further..i don't agree with the idea that our batsman were made for T20..they may have the right approach which is to attack..but not necessarily the right application..even though there is only 20 overs to be bowled but you still need to survive those 20 overs to put up a good total..just launching everything up in the air and trying to go down the track almost every other ball is not gonna get you anywhere..yes you have to score at faster runrate but that doesn't mean you can only score from 4s and 6s..which is the way our players see it...
Old February 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
I agree with Fazal Bhai
what's with everyone saying " i agree with you"...sobai ki post baranor upai kujhchee...
amaro ekta post baira gelo