facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 14, 2006, 03:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Some interesting comments i picked up from BBC about Yunus..

I do not undermine the role of peace talks but i believe in deeds as well as talks if there must be peace talks. I am extremely impressed that the prize has been awarded to someone who has contributed immeasurably to world peace through deed and not just talk.
Aissata Trubish, Kampala, Uganda

The Nobel Committee must be commended for recognising the undercurrents towards achieving peace - poverty. There is no doubt that this year's award is most deserved and will give impetus in efforts to achieve the United Nations Millennium Development Goals because the eradication of extreme poverty remains the development challenge of this generation and Prof. Yunus is living up to his part of this challenge. Congratulations, Sir!
Nnanna Anyim-Ude
Abuja, NIGERIA

i have long been an admirerer of Dr. Yunnus and his hard work which has shown the world that the poor,if given the opportunity, can help themselves out of poverty. More houses for the poor have been built through financing by the Grahmeen Bank than by any other housing organization in the world.
Ed
Managua
Edward Dunsworth, Managua

I am thrilled to learn that Dr. Younis and the Grameen Bank won the Nobel Peace price. My wife and I have admired Dr. Younis for a long time for the work he has done for poor women of Bangladesh. Dr. Younis's ideas have been adopted all over the world to microlending to help the poor help themselves. My wife even wrote a screenplay involving Grameen Bank.
Keshav Gupta, Kutztwon, U.S.

For the past few years since I learnt of this simple yet pragmatic personality called Muhammad Yunus(and the Grameen Bank),I have been fascinated by his work and what he has done to change the lives of the poor and hoped to meet him someday and ask him how he implemented such an amazingly simple concept that is a no-brainer but has helped thousands get out of the clutches of poverty. This is self-empowerement and I strive to follow his ideals. Congratulations to Mr Yunus and his brain-child!
Aravind Mallipudi, New York, United States

Finally -- a peace prize to someone who has deserved it. The Grameen Bank and institutions like it have done more for battling poverty than all the celebrities and UN programs that make lots of noise, but do little.
Antonio Calabrese, Chicago, United States
The Nobel committee really do seem to have lost the plot. Muhammad Yunus may be a wonderful person but from the very little we know about him he operates in a country which is not at war or suffers from serious internal unrest. Whatever honours should be heaped upon him it should not be the Peace Prize.
If the Nobel rules mean the committee had to award it this year, they should have auctioned it on eBay with the proceeds going to the Red Cross.
[holmdps], Expat, Europe

Sounds a good choice to me.
I was a bit worried that it might have gone to a couple of self publicity seeking mates of Bush and Blair who make a lot of noise but achieve very little.
But thankfully common sense appears to have won through.
[FREE-THINKER]

George W Bush for bringing peace and stabilty to the middle East, and opening up many new friendships with diffrent cultures and religions throughout the world.
Aidan MB, Belfast, Ireland
LOL! Thanks! I really needed a good joke today and I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.
Randal S, Los Angeles