facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Have you ever worked in gas station?
Yes 3 13.04%
No 20 86.96%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16, 2009, 03:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Fess up'......how many of ya work/ed in 7-Eleven?

Lol. Come'on I know behind layperson's millionaire masquerade parties, Orphy's saga of Don Quoxote like taxi cab driver adventures and goru's tinkering with metal toys, their paths have come across a shadow of work in that place.

So how many of you REALLY work or worked in 7-11. If not how many do you KNOW works in 7-11?

Ciao!

GB

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old July 16, 2009, 03:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (1 members and 0 guests)
Gopal Bhar

How come no one views my threads anymore?

Old July 16, 2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
How come no one views my threads anymore?
people are not stupid. they have five senses. they know when to reject oily and smelly stuffs.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace
people are not stupid. they have five senses. they know when to reject oily and smelly stuffs.
you are not so lovey-dovey after all despite your eponymous tromp d'oeil illusion huh?

Old July 16, 2009, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

The only low-skill job I ever had was freshman year of college... working at the campus post office... but it was fun stealing other people's dirty magazines, 'cause you know they are not gonna come complaining about it...

(I kid... never done that myself... but seen people do it)
Old July 16, 2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
you are not so lovey-dovey after all despite your eponymous tromp d'oeil illusion huh?
GB,
Your question was looking for a negative answer. So I gave you my honest answer. It might not have pleased you. In that case you should not have asked the question.
If you were looking for a positive answer, you could have asked something along this line....why so many people are viewing my gas pump thread?
Old July 16, 2009, 04:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
The nick Peace doesn't suit this post.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Relax man. There's always an machi around mishti jinish potro...although it could be around dustbin at other times.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Memo to rojobda & Dr.Zed : Can we have a LASH INDEX chart for the members?

Old July 16, 2009, 05:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I worked in a quiet a few places like that. I think everyone should. I mean it is quiet sad if the only job you ever held was after graduating from college.. that's 22 years of your life you haven't earned a penny...and took money from your parents...

I actually had a lot of fun working in a fast food restaurant. Me and my best friend used to work - they once divided our hours, so we wouldn't work together but we overstayed for each other's time nonetheless. (free service for the owner i guess) but we had a lot of fun....

There was a couch in the back room "office" and let's just say some of our customers overstayed their welcome.
Old July 16, 2009, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I worked in a quiet a few places like that. I think everyone should. I mean it is quiet sad if the only job you ever held was after graduating from college.. that's 22 years of your life you haven't earned a penny...and took money from your parents...
Who says you can't have white collar jobs on and off while earning your degree? Not that there's anything wrong with working at a FF joint.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

I worked, whats so degrading in saying that? I worked in few gas stations. And i think its better that i did, now i understand how that business can be profitable.

I was robbed once too, thank god, there was no shooting.
I dealt with so many different kinds of people, learned a lot.

One lesson i can share = There are lots of drivers right now on road, who are drinking and driving.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I haven't worked in a gas-station yet, I worked for Wal-Mart for 6 months once, worked in a Burger_king(there, I cleaned the men's room too) once for a week and quit, worked in small ma & pa pizza shop for a week and left, worked in a school diner for 1 day and asked not to come back, worked for Media Play for 1 day and quit, I never sold weed, thank Allah never got mugged as of yet and I am 38, Alhamdulillah! One St. Patrick's day in Savannah, many years ago, I sold carnation flowers on the street to school girls and made 11 dollars!
Old July 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I never worked in a gas station but I did work in a restaurant kitchen for 2 months and in a bakery for 1 month and a month delivering pizza's . Thats all the four months of blue collar jobs I have ever had. Cant say I liked any of it except for the pizza delivery because I got to eat free pizza( unlimited). All those places I had to work because I needed the money at those times(different months from 2005-2007).
Old July 16, 2009, 06:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
GB,
Your question was looking for a negative answer. So I gave you my honest answer. It might not have pleased you. In that case you should not have asked the question.
If you were looking for a positive answer, you could have asked something along this line....why so many people are viewing my gas pump thread?

The question does not look for a negative answer, it just seeks an honest answer. For some people humility is very hard to digest. Live with the truth. There was nothing wrong in this thread and his question. His thread is more positive than the other thread you opened about addictions.
Old July 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rev. Dave Chappelle

I dont think there's anything wrong with working the pump or pumping in general...
Old July 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Cricket Savant

There is nothing degrading about working in FF joints or gas stations. But if you follow the title, I was laughing at the fact of the stereotype of Bangladeshis and Indians working in 7-11. To generalize the thread even more I enclosed the poll.

Btw....I worked as security guard and I think it's one of the most b-s job ever. Haven for people who wants to kickback only... Spoiled me to the core.

Old July 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Who says you can't have white collar jobs on and off while earning your degree? Not that there's anything wrong with working at a FF joint.
Yes while in college you can and should aspire to have nice internships. But my post was mostly geared toward early high school time. Still you are right, many have decent jobs in high school as well but the number of opening posts there are quiet limited given the number of high school students.

Having said that, answering phone calls while getting 8 bucks per hour isn't really a white collar job. It might sound better than ringing the cash register but I think dealing with fast food customers really teach you some street skills...that you will probably not learn from a cubicle.
Old July 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Having said that, answering phone calls while getting 8 bucks per hour isn't really a white collar job.
What if your work is directly related to what you're taking in college? Like developing software or analyzing markets or running a start up for start ups or trading on Wall Street or cutting up dead humans or tending to sick ones?

Street skills - meh, you can learn that just by being outgoing.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
What if your work is directly related to what you're taking in college? Like developing software or analyzing markets or running a start up for start ups or trading on Wall Street or cutting up dead humans or tending to sick ones?

yeah as I previously mentioned, internships are ok in that respect. It is part of your college education.

I am talking about work that is not part of your education. Many office clerks might think their jobs are "white collar" because they have to dress up vs the guy in Mcdonald's wearing shorts. But *I* personally do not see much difference.

Yeah you can acquire a lot of skills doing a lot of things. All I am saying is that those odd jobs aren't as bad as ppl make them out to be... really there are skills to be acquired.

I don't have street skills - but my friend that aslo worked with me is very superior in that. (i worked 2 months, he worked years after years..lol). I mean i've seen him calling kaulas (that he isn't friends with) the n word and hugging them - I CANT never do that (utter the n word). Now maybe he is a natural or maybe he acquired it from hanging around with people that he worked with...i don't know but i think that is a skill.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Street smarts does not necessarily increase from being extrovert. A monk can have tremendous street skills too if he knows when and what to say at the right moment.

Old July 16, 2009, 10:28 PM
Cricket Guru

I had a very tough university life. An international student, who in his second year got the confirmation that his dad will not be able to support him due to failure in business.

I had to take things in my own hand. I worked at 5 part-time jobs at one time. Took full-time courses, and worked 40+ hours a week. Had no life for almost 4 years. Worked at places like Popeyes and Mr. Sub...where you don't get respect and get treated as $hit. Cleaned washrooms too.

And today, where I am...I'm here because of all that sacrifice. I have a Masters degree from one of Canada's top universities. I made my parents proud. All I say is Alhamdulillah. Because without Him...you'ld go nowhere.

So if there's anyone out there who wants to not respect what I have done for basic living and paying those a$$ whippin international tuition fees, that person should get a life.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I was working at this hotdog joint very famous in Oakland area of Pittsburgh ( PITT Campus really ). My station inside the restaurant had a side window which could be opened if the crowd got too heavy. You could buy a greasy hotdog without stepping foot inside. Sort of like a drive-through minus the driving part, just sidewalk. Anyway, I worked on the weekend nights, from ten till four in the morning. Bar goers stop by there for late night munchy. Now, I realized on my first night at work, a lot of people want free dogs through that side window. They will ask you for it from outside the window. Broke a** college students. I was very partial to hot ladies however. I was picky with who gets my dogs in exchange for numbers, or dates. I thought it was fun, unitl one night this chicks boyfriend came running inside ( Large African American with a mutha fu**** attitude ) who caught her slipping me the digits for a bun full of heaven. He cursed at me and called me " Sanchez". lol ..Then, I got in trouble with the owner, and before he started yelling at me, I took of my stupid shirt they gave me to wear and walked out. There it is. My four weekends of FF work experience. It was awful. That place is still there.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I had a very tough university life. An international student, who in his second year got the confirmation that his dad will not be able to support him due to failure in business.

I had to take things in my own hand. I worked at 5 part-time jobs at one time. Took full-time courses, and worked 40+ hours a week. Had no life for almost 4 years. Worked at places like Popeyes and Mr. Sub...where you don't get respect and get treated as $hit. Cleaned washrooms too.

And today, where I am...I'm here because of all that sacrifice. I have a Masters degree from one of Canada's top universities. I made my parents proud. All I say is Alhamdulillah. Because without Him...you'ld go nowhere.

So if there's anyone out there who wants to not respect what I have done for basic living and paying those a$$ whippin international tuition fees, that person should get a life.
Respect. I dont think I would have been able to do this myself. I have said this in person to you as well. What you have done deserves special praise because it would be near to mission impossible to pay your way through university when you are paying international fees without your family putting in the finances and you finished your degree on time if i remember correctly. NOt like you took time off studies to work and earn the money to get back to school. You had my respect from the day I heard about all this. It seems like a daunting task. Min. 60 grand in tuition fees alone just for undergrads.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I was working at this hotdog joint very famous in Oakland area of Pittsburgh ( PITT Campus really ). My station inside the restaurant had a side window which could be opened if the crowd got too heavy. You could buy a greasy hotdog without stepping foot inside. Sort of like a drive-through minus the driving part, just sidewalk. Anyway, I worked on the weekend nights, from ten till four in the morning. Bar goers stop by there for late night munchy. Now, I realized on my first night at work, a lot of people want free dogs through that side window. They will ask you for it from outside the window. Broke a** college students. I was very partial to hot ladies however. I was picky with who gets my dogs in exchange for numbers, or dates. I thought it was fun, unitl one night this chicks boyfriend came running inside ( Large African American with a mutha fu**** attitude ) who caught her slipping me the digits for a bun full of heaven. He cursed at me and called me " Sanchez". lol ..Then, I got in trouble with the owner, and before he started yelling at me, I took of my stupid shirt they gave me to wear and walked out. There it is. My four weekends of FF work experience. It was awful. That place is still there.
someone had a fair share of dealing with wie...rs!