facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 17, 2013, 07:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think it is OK to support a party, but it is not OK to turn a blind eye towards evidence. For example,

1. Callling Shahbag protesters "nastik" is not OK. In my my mind, calling the leadership at shahbag AL leaning is acceptable, especially since AL student leaders are giving speeches these days. But, the crowd attending the rallies are still non-partisan.
2. Being happy with the standard of ICT is not adequate. We need high standard because we don't want anybody to question these judgement and divide our country. These are the most important cases in our judicial history. What is the harm in having a more thorough and deliberative process? I wish AL did not mix electoral politics with the almost universal demand of justice for war crimes.

In terms of solutions:
1. The parties have to become democratic in electing their leaders. The dynasty based politics need to stop. This is the only way average people can have a voice that is reflected by the political leaders.
2. Violence in the name politics needs to eliminated by coming to a political understanding. I am talking about hartal and street violence. Both AL and BNP needs to show a willingness to do it, and this needs to happen before the election.

I feel that independent media that tries to provide investigative report is lacking. As sufism bhai mentioned in another thread (citing a clip from Asif Nazrul), there is two perceived reality in Bangladesh. This is NOT good for Bangladesh. People who are perpetuating those "made up" realities needs to understand their mistake and rise up to build a unified country. Do we want to further the cause of the party or the country? I think it is possible to do both if our perception is based on evidence.

Old March 17, 2013, 07:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
is this a sequel of Shahbag thread ? :p
I miss that thread.
Anyway, as a neutral person the way I see AL & BNP is that both are evil.
AL is a smart Evil & BNP is the dumb evil.
currently BNP doing everything to make sure they won't win the coming election.
But my concern is not with the voting. My concern is what will happen after the election.

1. If AL wins again, BNP and Jamat shibir will go wild and continue this Hartal and violence. As usual, AL will do nothing to protect general people.

2. If BNP wins, BNP and Jamat Shibir will leave no stone unturned to paralyze AL leaders and their associate groups to get revenge. Religious minority groups may also be targeted again like previous time and again general people will suffer.

So, its a 'lose-lose' situation for general public like us.

From DS:

Old March 17, 2013, 10:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Political neutrality is a euphemism in Bangladesh. While many if not most of our countrymen and women may not be firmly committed to any particular political party, election results since 1991 suggest only 100 seats firmly belong to the two major political parties, an overwhelming majority believe in a set of common political values that I feel is embodied in our 1972 Constitution as the direct reflection of popular will. The energy at Shahbagh re-asserts many of those sacred core values as the rebirth of the Spirit of 1971 despite all of the party politics maneuvering around it, and it is a national, not just a Dhaka-based urban phenomena. To deny that is to deny the obvious truth, the most potent of which is the re-assertion of our historical identity and the defeated forces that continue to reject it.

Now, we have people who while not committed to a particular political party, have strong biases and allergies against particular political parties. It is important that such vicious bias neither clouds our better judgement nor forces us to abandon intellectual honesty in all of its detail.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 19, 2013 at 03:20 AM..
Old March 17, 2013, 11:18 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I think the people who are committed to a particular party in the context of BD politics have been the ones abandoning their intellectual honesty and not the people who are sitting on the fence.

The people who are not committed to any political party have little reasons to be biased and are still looking for a better alternative to what we have had over the last 40 years. These people are not stuck in the past with General Zia or Father of the Nation but are more concerned about the current progress of the economy, people's security etc. Which ever political party proposes a clear plan for the future rather than rhetoric from the past will win the vote of these people.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I think the people who are committed to a particular party in the context of BD politics have been the ones abandoning their intellectual honesty and not the people who are sitting on the fence.

The people who are not committed to any political party have little reasons to be biased and are still looking for a better alternative to what we have had over the last 40 years. These people are not stuck in the past with General Zia or Father of the Nation but are more concerned about the current progress of the economy, people's security etc. Which ever political party proposes a clear plan for the future rather than rhetoric from the past will win the vote of these people.
That party is also the problem. We have abdicated and left the playing fields to the goons and goondas. We sit at home and wait for the arrival of the Messiah and lead us out of this morass. Let's face it - it's not going to happen. Mixing metaphors - we have to get off the fence and draw our line in sand and tell them - enough, no more. To a certain extent, the Shahbagh movement gives hope - that the spirit has not yet been extinguished.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Sorry but simply cannot share your sweeping cynicism or make sense of the idea that sitting on the fence is somehow superior to being proactive from within. There are plenty of people in organized politics who at great risk to themselves and their families, often from godfathers/thugs/goons within their own political parties, compromise neither their principles nor their intellectual honesty for the sake of money and power obtained at the expense of national interest and the law.

Sitting on the fence is a luxury because it changes nothing. Positive political changes do not occur by osmosis, and I'm sure you know that. Fundamentally positive political change is a long and arduous process from within fueled, driven and inspired by popular upsurge. The dynamic processes involved in generating the sort of mass awareness necessary create that kind of popular upsurge even more so. In fact, it is long and arduous enough be thought of as rare in our country. That has been my direct experience ever since I moved back to Bangladesh for good.

I am a nationalist totally committed to AL because of its ideals and unrivaled role in the creation of Bangladesh from the day Suhrawardy, Bhasani, Shamsul Haque, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Shahid Tajuddin and others formed the party in 1949 for the sole purpose of advocating our autonomy in a democratic, just and secular society that nurtures our cultural identity. Those principles COMPEL me to be its critic, and NOT BE blind to its corruption.

Whether or not key individuals within the party know of those values or in fact value them in their actions or intent is irrelevant. I firmly believe that the nation is greater than any party but the party MUST be greater than the some of its members in light of the principles it stands for. There's a price to pay for this in our political culture of opportunism, ignorance and sycophancy, but that price is never enough when one thinks of the the difference he or she is making under very difficult circumstances. No matter how small those differences seem at the moment, they are there nonetheless build a better future no matter how slow and exasperating the process. That is the sort of proactive love of country that we need, and can't love like that sitting on the fence, my friend

Quote:
Disagree, again in light of my direct experience. I know more people who are a helluva lot more "anti-AL" due to BAKSAL and misrule than "pro-BNP" for its ideal, whatever those may be, and vice versa. "Looking" for an alternative to be brought about by someone else isn't enough. One needs to make it happen. I tried to do my little part when Bikalpadhara was formed by my maternal uncle (the railroaded BNP selected President) and his son (the charming and approachable former BNP and BDB MP). I lost faith and made the decision to return to the far more diverse and politically effective fold, than be involved in another family-based but tiny new party not willing to innovate change within and have principles and patience to try and prevail over the unsustainable political expediency of the day.

Change in this country must be political and must involve large political parties. I chose the AL simply because there no better alternative in light of our ugly reality in my opinion. At least its principles still attract true believers willing to commit to change they're unlikely to witness in their lifetime.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 19, 2013 at 04:13 AM..
Old March 18, 2013, 12:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Can we please re-open the Shahbagh thread for relevant discussion?
Old March 18, 2013, 01:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
* জাতীয় কà§à¦°à¦¿à¦•à§‡à¦Ÿ দলের সদসà§à¦¯, গণজাগরণ মঞà§à¦šà§‡à¦° উদà§à¦¯à§‹à¦•à§à¦¤à¦¾-সমরà§à¦¥à¦• ও সà§à¦«à¦¿-আলেমদের হতà§à¦¯à¦¾à¦° নিরà§à¦¦à§‡à¦¶
* বঙà§à¦—বনà§à¦§à§à¦•à§‡ ‘কাফের’ à¦à¦¬à¦‚ আহমদ শফীকে ‘ইমাম মেহেদী’ বলা হয়েছে

সাঈদীকে চাà¦à¦¦à§‡ দেখতে পাওয়ার গà§à¦œà¦¬à§‡à¦° পর à¦à¦¬à¦¾à¦° বঙà§à¦—বনà§à¦§à§à¦•à§‡ ‘কাফের’ à¦à¦¬à¦‚ হেফাজতে ইসলাম বাংলাদেশের আহà§à¦¬à¦¾à§Ÿà¦• মাওলানা আহমদ শফীকে ‘ইমাম মেহেদি’ বলে উসà§à¦•à¦¾à¦¨à¦¿à¦®à§‚লক লিফলেটপà§à¦°à¦šà¦¾à¦°à¥¤ ১৮ দলের ডাকা ৪৮ ঘণà§à¦Ÿà¦¾ হরতালে সাধারণ ধরà§à¦®à¦ªà§à¦°à¦¾à¦£ মানà§à¦·à¦•à§‡ কà§à¦·à§‡à¦ªà¦¿à§Ÿà§‡ তà§à¦²à§‡ ধà§à¦¬à¦‚সাতà§à¦®à¦• কাজে বà§à¦¯à¦¬à¦¹à¦¾à¦° করার লকà§à¦·à§à¦¯à§‡ চটà§à¦Ÿà¦—à§à¦°à¦¾à¦®à¦¸à¦¹ সারা দেশে ছড়িয়ে দেয়া হয়েছে হেফাজতে ইসলাম বাংলাদেশের নামে পà§à¦°à¦šà¦¾à¦°à¦¿à¦¤ ঠলিফলেটের হাজার-হাজার কপি। à¦à¦¤à§‡ বায়তà§à¦² মোকাররমের খতিব মাওলানা সালাহউদà§à¦¦à¦¿à¦¨ আহমদ, শোলাকিয়ার ইমাম মাওলানা ফরিদ উদà§à¦¦à¦¿à¦¨ মাসউদ, চটà§à¦Ÿà¦—à§à¦°à¦¾à¦®à§‡à¦° শীরà§à¦· সà§à¦¨à§à¦¨à¦¿ আলেম, জাতীয় কà§à¦°à¦¿à¦•à§‡à¦Ÿà¦¦à¦²à§‡à¦° সদসà§à¦¯, শাহবাগ গণজাগরণ মঞà§à¦šà§‡à¦° উদà§à¦¯à§‹à¦•à§à¦¤à¦¾ ও মঞà§à¦šà¦¸à¦‚শà§à¦²à¦¿à¦·à§à¦Ÿ বà§à¦¦à§à¦§à¦¿à¦œà§€à¦¬à§€ ও সাংসà§à¦•à§ƒà¦¤à¦¿à¦• বà§à¦¯à¦•à§à¦¤à¦¿à¦¦à§‡à¦° ‘মà§à¦°à¦¤à¦¾à¦¦â€™ ও ‘মà§à¦¶à¦°à¦¿à¦•â€™ ঘোষণা দিয়ে তাদের হতà§à¦¯à¦¾à¦° নিরà§à¦¦à§‡à¦¶ দেওয়া হয়েছে। তবে হেফাজতে ইসলামের কেনà§à¦¦à§à¦°à§€à§Ÿ নেতারা লিফলেটটি তাদের নয় বলে জানিয়েছেন। তারা বলছেন, কওমি মাদà§à¦°à¦¾à¦¸à¦¾à¦•à§‡ জঙà§à¦—িবাদী পà§à¦°à¦®à¦¾à¦£à§‡à¦° জনà§à¦¯ à¦à¦¬à¦‚ সরকারের মà§à¦–োমà§à¦–ি দাà¦à§œ করিয়ে দিতেই à¦à¦•à¦Ÿà¦¿ সà§à¦¬à¦¾à¦°à§à¦¥à¦¾à¦¨à§à¦¬à§‡à¦·à§€ মহল à¦à¦Ÿà¦¿ করেছে। à¦à¦•à§à¦·à§‡à¦¤à§à¦°à§‡ কওমি মাদà§à¦°à¦¾à¦¸à¦¾à¦•à§‡à¦¨à§à¦¦à§à¦°à¦¿à¦ • অনেক আলেমের সনà§à¦¦à§‡à¦¹à§‡à¦° আঙà§à¦² জামায়াত-শিবিরের অতি উতà§à¦¸à¦¾à¦¹à§€ করà§à¦®à§€à¦¦à§‡à¦° দিকে।
চাà¦à¦¦à§‡ সাঈদীর পর ‘কাফেরহতà§à¦¯à¦¾â€™à¦° নিরà§à¦¦à§‡à¦¶

Old March 18, 2013, 01:57 AM
Cricket Savant

^The leaflet is simply too extreme and stupid to be credible. The HI folks are pretty much controlled by Jamaat-Shibir and they are not this stupid. They are more conservative but won't blame Jamaat-Shibir either, even when many of them believe that Jamaat-Shibir free of alleged Razakars is the better way to go. I won't be surprised if the leaflet is part of AL, Jashod, CPB or the Workers Party's psychological warfare campaign. Not a bad job covering a few lies under some truth.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
^The leaflet is simply too extreme and stupid to be credible. The HI folks are pretty much controlled by Jamaat-Shibir and they are not this stupid. They won't blame Jamaat-Shibir either. I won't be surprised if the leaflet is part of AL, Jashod, CPB or the Workers Party's psychological warfare campaign. Not a bad job covering a few lies under some truth.
I won't be surprised too.

Quote:
তারা বলছেন, কওমি মাদà§à¦°à¦¾à¦¸à¦¾à¦•à§‡ জঙà§à¦—িবাদী পà§à¦°à¦®à¦¾à¦£à§‡à¦° জনà§à¦¯ à¦à¦¬à¦‚ সরকারের মà§à¦–োমà§à¦–ি দাà¦à§œ করিয়ে দিতেই à¦à¦•à¦Ÿà¦¿ সà§à¦¬à¦¾à¦°à§à¦¥à¦¾à¦¨à§à¦¬à§‡à¦·à§€ মহল à¦à¦Ÿà¦¿ করেছে। à¦à¦•à§à¦·à§‡à¦¤à§à¦°à§‡ কওমি মাদà§à¦°à¦¾à¦¸à¦¾à¦•à§‡à¦¨à§à¦¦à§à¦°à¦¿à¦ • অনেক আলেমের সনà§à¦¦à§‡à¦¹à§‡à¦° আঙà§à¦² জামায়াত-শিবিরের অতি উতà§à¦¸à¦¾à¦¹à§€ করà§à¦®à§€à¦¦à§‡à¦° দিকে।
However, HI is suspecting the Jamat Shibir for such act.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:09 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
However, HI is suspecting the Jamat Shibir for such act.
I know the Kowmi folks well enough to know that can't be right at this moment. They are de facto Talibans and far less "progressive" compared to Jamaat-Shibir in theory.The report quotes nobody specifically and knowing our journalistic preference for the color yellow during these critical times, the reporter/activist may have simply made that up. It is easier to "protect" your "sources" when you have none
Old March 18, 2013, 02:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I know the Kowmi folks well enough to know that can't be right at this moment. They are de facto Talibans and far less "progressive" compared to Jamaat-Shibir in theory.The report quotes nobody specifically and knowing our journalistic preference for the color yellow during these critical times, the reporter/activist may have simply made that up. It is easier to "protect" your "sources" when you have none
Very true

But we just can't ignore the threat knowing the crazy stuff those extremist people do.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:36 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I plead guilty as charged for sitting on the fence. I agree that sitting on the fence achieves nothing as you and Zunaid Bhai rightly pointed out. I also agree that one has to make it happen by making a stance and making their voices heard. That's why I was initially thrilled with Shahabaag as I felt the gathering echoed my voice and my frustration about today's politics too. At the same time I also feel that people like me don't have any vicious agenda towards any particular party. We simply hope for a better Bangladesh just like the rest of it's citizens.

I did not intend to make a sweeping generalization about all involved in politics, I know there are people driven by true passion for the country. However, I do believe that those people are a minority and the majority are comprised of thugs, corrupt people. The state of our politics today is a true reflection of the people involved. My issue is with the people who blindly align with one of the major parties because of it's name and will fully ignore all the wrongs, live in past glory and try to defend the indefensible.

I don't think either BNP or AL has any legitimacy left to preach about the founding ideals of our country. I was born in the early 80s and since then, I have seen bit of Ershad, and a lot of AL and BNP politics before I moved out of the country. Secularism, Democracy, Cultural Identity, Passion of 71 all seem like empty words used in speeches by both parties to me. I don't see even a trace of the founding ideals in our political process or in the actions of the government. It's the same horse sh*t every term irrespective of the party which sickens me.

I remember reading Shafiq Rehman's column in Jayjaydeen before the election and becoming energized to vote for BNP and then see my hopes burnt by Tareq Zia and co with their endless corruption. Then after 1/11, i saw promise in AL and their efforts at reform and voted for them only to see my hopes dashed yet again in this current term.

That's why I intend to judge political parties based on it's current performance and not on past ideals/glory. I don't find confidence in Shamim Osman or Jainal Hajari or Abul ... neither in Khaleda Zia and her sons, Mirja Abbas etc. I believe people should vote for the best candidate irrespective of the logo and slowly kick these people out of politics. I believe the party that puts forward a clear path for the future, encourages dialogue and debate in the parliament, stops abusing press and judicial systems and mostly importantly field credible/honest candidates should win the respective constituencies.

As a member of the sitting on the fence club i don't have the right to whine and moan about what's happening but I do have the power of my vote and I refuse to jump in by looking at the brand name only, I will make my decision based on only what the product has to offer.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:47 AM
Cricket Savant

We are politically marginalized but definitely not a minority within the AL proper. Most of us suffer with regards to political positioning because of relative lack of wealth, and total inability to go down on some of the key leadership. BCL and JL are infinitely more compromised IMO.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Seems most of the hartal related crimes took place last night in Dhaka. Different story outside the capital.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Completely Agree with Jadukor; great Post. Also agree to cricket_Pagol; just to add a little to what you guys have already said;

As much people call the neutral people, to be sitting on the fence, I'm proud of that, as that's the only civil way of facing a critical situation. We may be minority, but we are helping/serving the situation better. Fighting in street with a political opponent is not at all civil. Now AL and BNP and Jamat is trying to prove .. I'm right right, come and fight on our behalf. Taking a side here only means adding fuel to more violence and more killing.

I wish there were no people behind these corrupt parties in the street. Why would an honest party need it's supporters to fight on the street? Instead, I would urge the supporters to advise their party, to leave the street and sit for dialogue / discussion and find a way out of this situation. None has ever been able to bring a permanent solution to a political problem trough street fights....

If you are a sensible supporter of a party, better leave the street and withdraw your support for the party, until they are ready to solve it trough dialogue. You will do a favor to the people, country and your party.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

So, when is the BJP-BSF war is taking place? Which area Advani is targeting to
enter and march towards Dhaka?
Old March 19, 2013, 12:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I plead guilty as charged for sitting on the fence. I agree that sitting on the fence achieves nothing as you and Zunaid Bhai rightly pointed out. I also agree that one has to make it happen by making a stance and making their voices heard. That's why I was initially thrilled with Shahabaag as I felt the gathering echoed my voice and my frustration about today's politics too. At the same time I also feel that people like me don't have any vicious agenda towards any particular party. We simply hope for a better Bangladesh just like the rest of it's citizens.

I did not intend to make a sweeping generalization about all involved in politics, I know there are people driven by true passion for the country. However, I do believe that those people are a minority and the majority are comprised of thugs, corrupt people. The state of our politics today is a true reflection of the people involved. My issue is with the people who blindly align with one of the major parties because of it's name and will fully ignore all the wrongs, live in past glory and try to defend the indefensible.

I don't think either BNP or AL has any legitimacy left to preach about the founding ideals of our country. I was born in the early 80s and since then, I have seen bit of Ershad, and a lot of AL and BNP politics before I moved out of the country. Secularism, Democracy, Cultural Identity, Passion of 71 all seem like empty words used in speeches by both parties to me. I don't see even a trace of the founding ideals in our political process or in the actions of the government. It's the same horse sh*t every term irrespective of the party which sickens me.

I remember reading Shafiq Rehman's column in Jayjaydeen before the election and becoming energized to vote for BNP and then see my hopes burnt by Tareq Zia and co with their endless corruption. Then after 1/11, i saw promise in AL and their efforts at reform and voted for them only to see my hopes dashed yet again in this current term.

That's why I intend to judge political parties based on it's current performance and not on past ideals/glory. I don't find confidence in Shamim Osman or Jainal Hajari or Abul ... neither in Khaleda Zia and her sons, Mirja Abbas etc. I believe people should vote for the best candidate irrespective of the logo and slowly kick these people out of politics. I believe the party that puts forward a clear path for the future, encourages dialogue and debate in the parliament, stops abusing press and judicial systems and mostly importantly field credible/honest candidates should win the respective constituencies.

As a member of the sitting on the fence club i don't have the right to whine and moan about what's happening but I do have the power of my vote and I refuse to jump in by looking at the brand name only, I will make my decision based on only what the product has to offer.

Very well said, and its exactly how I feel about the current political situation in BD, and that's the kind of response I got from pretty much most of my social circle in BD. Not only do people have no faith in BD politics they don't want to take side or get associated with BD politics. The notion that you have to take side or if you have similar ideology means that have to be some how associated with a political party is ridiculous.

The guys who are making all the noise are a very small minority.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Getting off the fence does not mean one has to align oneself with any of the existing political streams - I think this point is not getting understood by most if not all.

For example, I am not neutral but I DO NOT and WILL not align myself with any of the existing ideological streams. I have various degrees of animosity to and antipathy for the parties that are destroying the nation.

Had I been in Bangladesh and still a citizen, abrogating my responsibility in trying to change the direction the nation is going and simply whining from the side-lines.

What one does is up to one's abilities and opportunities. But for ****s sake, do something!
Old March 19, 2013, 01:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

What one does is up to one's abilities and opportunities. But for ****s sake, do something!
That's easier said than done in a country where the ruling party will make you their personal enemy number one if you even remotely try to make any noise by trying to be a serious political contender (read Muhammad Yunus).

The assumption here is that in BD there is an abundance of rational and independent thinking people who will overwhelmingly support a new political party, idea or movement that doesn't affiliate themselves with the current status Quo. There isn't and they won't.

(and no, the so called "Shahbagh movement" doesn't constitute itself as a movement, if anything, its a farce.)

This is not a problem unique to BD, this is a problem you will see in all our neighborhood countries, be it India, Pakistan, Srilanka, Burma; and there is no magic bullet solution. If there was, more 1.5 billion people in these countries would have come up with a solution many times over.

To me the solution to this problem will not come in the form of political movement but in the form of social and cultural change. We live in a country where it is politically and culturally normal to steal, beg, lie, kill, be corrupt, be morally bankrupt. This doesn't happen in bits and pieces its a countrywide phenomena. People will elect political candidate when they know and understand of widespread corruption in his last term; simply because he is AL or BNP and it has nothing to do with his political platform or his past record or whether he is a genuinely honest and good person.

You can't have quick fix in a toxic, morally-bankrupt political situation like this.

The cultural and moral change will come in the form of multi-generation re-education, from outside the political establishment (new or old) and in the form private organization and movement. And its already happening, albeit slowly, but surely.

Quote:
Had I been in Bangladesh and still a citizen, abrogating my responsibility in trying to change the direction the nation is going and simply whining from the side-lines.
Thats a very lame, poor-man's excuse. Sorry, but I had to say it the way it is. If you really feel as strongly the way you say you feel, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from giving up you citizenship and moving to BD and do the thing that you want to do. Words are cheap, do it yourself and lead from the front.

But obviously, reality can be a b*tch.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
That's easier said than done in a country where the ruling party will make you their personal enemy number one if you even remotely try to make any noise by trying to be a serious political contender (read Muhammad Yunus).

The assumption here is that in BD there is an abundance of rational and independent thinking people who will overwhelmingly support a new political party, idea or movement that doesn't affiliate themselves with the current status Quo. There isn't and they won't.

(and no, the so called "Shahbagh movement" doesn't constitute itself as a movement, if anything, its a farce.)

This is not a problem unique to BD, this is a problem you will see in all our neighborhood countries, be it India, Pakistan, Srilanka, Burma; and there is no magic bullet solution. If there was, more 1.5 billion people in these countries would have come up with a solution many times over.

To me the solution to this problem will not come in the form of political movement but in the form of social and cultural change. We live in a country where it is politically and culturally normal to steal, beg, lie, kill, be corrupt, be morally bankrupt. This doesn't happen in bits and pieces its a countrywide phenomena. People will elect political candidate when they know and understand of widespread corruption in his last term; simply because he is AL or BNP and it has nothing to do with his political platform or his past record or whether he is a genuinely honest and good person.

You can't have quick fix in a toxic, morally-bankrupt political situation like this.

The cultural and moral change will come in the form of multi-generation re-education, from outside the political establishment (new or old) and in the form private organization and movement. And its already happening, albeit slowly, but surely.

Thats a very lame, poor-man's excuse. Sorry, but I had to say it the way it is. If you really feel as strongly the way you say you feel, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from giving up you citizenship and moving to BD and do the thing that you want to do. Words are cheap, do it yourself and lead from the front.

But obviously, reality can be a b*tch.
I do lead from the front. I am active in my community and in the politics in my new country. I have put my time, effort, and money in support of those with whom I have an ideological rapport in my own country.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I do lead from the front. I am active in my community and in the politics in my new country. I have put my time, effort, and money in support of those with whom I have an ideological rapport in my own country.
Let me rephrase that for you:

"I have put my time, effort, and money in support of those with whom I have an ideological rapport in my own country...

That is politically stable.
An economic power-house.
A 230+ year old mature democracy, with ample time to mature as a nation and a political system.
Very high quality and level of education standard.
Low general corruption index.
Military Powerhouse.
Generally, very high living standard.
Generally, free and fair Media.
Low (or no) politically motivated killing in recent memory.

... and many more"

Yes I can see that you are working very hard to make a difference in a very hostile situation and circumstances in your community/country.

But obviously we are talking about Bangladesh here, in case you forgot.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

A former freedom fighter told me something quite profound last Friday: I preferred the old Bangladesh before independence...I asked why? He said before the independence war, things were mad cheap, after the independence the prices skyrocketed and it is still going on 'till this day. You call this independence? He also told me that Democracy is just a word in Bangladesh, misused and misinterpreted.

Alhamdulillah, I learned a lot from him about Bangladeshi history.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
But obviously we are talking about Bangladesh here, in case you forgot.
That is a valid point. I have not forgotten but perhaps things are worse than during my time. The worse I faced was getting tear gassed during one of the shoirachar hotao andolon in the late 80s. And guess what? That dude is the father of cricket in Bangladesh.

An uncle of point posted something today that seems to be indicative of the increased polarization and split in the country. And this uncle is also a mukti-juddha and a Bir Pratik.

He said some of his employees who have beards did not come into the office for fear of being set upon by the police or BCL thugs. Conversely, many of the women in his office came in 'purdah' in fear of the JI/ICS backlash.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
That is a valid point. I have not forgotten but perhaps things are worse than during my time. The worse I faced was getting tear gassed during one of the shoirachar hotao andolon in the late 80s. And guess what? That dude is the father of cricket in Bangladesh.

An uncle of point posted something today that seems to be indicative of the increased polarization and split in the country. And this uncle is also a mukti-juddha and a Bir Pratik.

He said some of his employees who have beards did not come into the office for fear of being set upon by the police or BCL thugs. Conversely, many of the women in his office came in 'purdah' in fear of the JI/ICS backlash.

And how much have BD changed politically as a country since the 80s?

In my humble opinion, none at all.

If dodging teargas and cocktail would help take the country forward, than BD would have been a new world powerhouse by now.

I hope my point is not lost in all this, is that Bangladesh will not change/improve by a new political party of a political movement overnight. The change that Bangladesh needs is in the form of social re-education. Once the people of the country improve their moral and education standard, the political establishment will adapt to it.

And this will take loads of time...