facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 6, 2004, 11:13 PM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Default y isnt bd selecting their best batsman ???

y isnt BD selecting their best batsman - nafis iqbal ???

nafis iqbal has been impressive all through. he made a 100 against a touring eng side last year and he later called eng as "ordinary".

also, nafis iqbal had a good u-19 wc and just due to a bad odi against eng, he is dropped ???

nafis iqbal should be given a chance in this coming asia cup. from what i have seen, nafis iqbal is BDs best batsman, not rajin saleh, habibul bashar, mohammed ashraful, etc.

i cant understand y overrated flashers like hannan sarker r selected despite repeated failures.

Old June 7, 2004, 02:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by amit(a huge BD fan)
y isnt BD selecting their best batsman - nafis iqbal ???

nafis iqbal has been impressive all through. he made a 100 against a touring eng side last year and he later called eng as "ordinary".

also, nafis iqbal had a good u-19 wc and just due to a bad odi against eng, he is dropped ???

nafis iqbal should be given a chance in this coming asia cup. from what i have seen, nafis iqbal is BDs best batsman, not rajin saleh, habibul bashar, mohammed ashraful, etc.

i cant understand y overrated flashers like hannan sarker r selected despite repeated failures.

Not only that!!!! They're forgetting our best bowler, Shahadat!!!! And that kid who is playing outside in the alley next my house right now!!!!
Old June 7, 2004, 03:13 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Nafis Iqbal throws his wicket away much too often, in short, he needs time to mature.

I don't know about Shahadat, he's not in the squad probably because of the same reason(s) that Talha is not in the team?
Old June 7, 2004, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Not only that!!!! They're forgetting our best bowler, Shahadat!!!! And that kid who is playing outside in the alley next my house right now!!!! [/quote]

Did Shahadat play any 1st class cricket yet? Do not want to see another quickie who got injured as often as Masree. BCB shld be careful playing Sahadat. Do not use him too much/early ... give him time to mature. One U-19 tournament may not be enough to get selection for a test/ODI squad. He shld play one full season in national league.

Nafis Iqbal played several years in National league ans also ODI, so he shld be seriously considered for Asia cup and hope he will.
Old June 7, 2004, 04:06 AM
Retired BC Admin

Shahadat, according to published report, was sent to Australia for training if I remember it correctly. Nafees on the other hand has been under training from Coach McInnes.

We should aspect a whole new generation of "well-prepared" players for the national team in near future.
Old June 7, 2004, 07:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
from what i have seen, nafis iqbal is BDs best batsman, not rajin saleh, habibul bashar, mohammed ashraful, etc.
As long as these players play in secondary matches(against A-teams or for the BD-A team).. they all show the potentiality to become the 'Best batasman ever'!!.. but they blow their skills the moment they are put into the national teams!

Almost all the current team players entered as very promising and then their performances faded out...or atleast got more reserved!

probably its not that they have gone low standard... rather maybe that its natural to play more successfully in the domestic matches than international ones!

There is no reason to believe that Nafees will shake the top level Cricket with his 'magical skills' ... he still has a lot to learn and one good performance in a 'pressure-less' match (Vs Eng.) doesn't necessarily mean he's the best batsman in BD!!

[Edited on 7-6-2004 by crickethorizon]
Old June 7, 2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

Nafis flops in big matches, be it national or Junior. He definitely needs to mature. He does well in practice matches, then just flops. I have not seen him react positively under pressure yet. If BD brings him in, he should be tucked away in the middle order. If you have a natural mental flaw, I don't think coaching will be much effective. Nafis, after all has had the most regular international exposure of all junior players. He's had a dream preperation for 5-6 long years to step up to the plate. Sadly, even club teams don't rely on him much. He's not an opener, rather a flat pitch bully, even that is sporadic. Same flaw that most of our batsmen have.

Habibul, with all his flaws, gets runs via pulls & hooks. That is how he negotiates the snorters. Sometimes he does well, other times he fails. He doen not shy away from them. He has gotten better at playing the short ones, unnoticed. The younger batters need to practice the rising deliveries daily, including Nafis.
Old June 7, 2004, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Nafis Iqbal throws his wicket away much too often, in short, he needs time to mature.
I am not too sure that is the reason. If it were, then all of our national team batsmen would have been dropped.

Over the years, our selectors have made a common mistake - that of bringing in young immature cricketers to the side, and, in the process, ending their careers. The decision that they are making in the case of Nafis, in my opinion, is a fair one. They are giving him time to get mature enough so that he doesn't present us with a series of failures like Hannan and co.

[Edited on 7-6-2004 by AsifTheManRahman]
Old June 7, 2004, 08:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

The introduction of Nafees and Shahadat, and the re-introduction of Masri, Sharif and Talha are just a matter of time. During the Pak tour I thought that Alok and Hannan had firmly established themselves in the test team. Their indifferent form will probably manifest in Nafis, Rana and Faisal's repeated flirtation with a national call-up for the forseeable future.

For the most part BD has shown that it has a 'tail' that can wag quite ferociously. Unfortunately, this is a curious beast that has no head.
Old June 8, 2004, 04:21 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

i cant understand y u all dont want nafis

cmon, if players like ash(who took 3 years to settle in intl cricket), alok, hannan, rokon, seezan could be given a long go when they were stillyoung andnot performing, then y not nafis is being given a go when he is still young.

almost 1.5 years ago, bd were neglecting their best bowler, rafique, but when he came on, he took 6 wickets v sa and then 14 wickets in 3 test v pak and now rafique has become the 2nd best left-arm spinner in the world.

give nafis a go. i dont think he will flop in big matches. he is better than these "openers" like javed omar, hannan, bidyut, rokon, seezan.
Old June 8, 2004, 04:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
now rafique has become the 2nd best left-arm spinner in the world
I suppose the best is Murali Kartik?
Old June 8, 2004, 04:26 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
Quote:
now rafique has become the 2nd best left-arm spinner in the world
I suppose the best is Murali Kartik?
habibul_fan, thats a perfect guess !
Old June 8, 2004, 04:48 AM
Cricket Legend

ummm.... Kartik?
Old June 8, 2004, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Of course...he's Indian
Old June 8, 2004, 04:57 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

kartik is the best left-arm spinner in the world, but he wont get too many chances as india has kumble and bhajji as well. kartik is the 3rd best indian spinner after these 2 so he would be considered is 1 or both of them r injured.
Old June 8, 2004, 08:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Is this the same Amit?

Anyway, the first problem that I have with Nafis is the fact that he said England attack was “ordinary” . May be he is too young and out of excitement of scoring a 100 he said that. Remember the century was in a practice match. I am very much against players talking like that. Read what Sarwan said about our bowlers after scoring the big double ton against Bangladesh. Not a bad thing. Let Nafis grow. Hope he does not have an attitude problem.

The second point is about his batting skill. I have not seen him, but from what I hear he sure is one of the top young players. He was given a chance too early in the national team and he did not do well. To call him the best Bangladesh batsman is childish. So what happened to the Sumon’s and Ashraful’s? If it is the same Amit, I will excuse him, because as far I know he is also very young.
Old June 8, 2004, 08:30 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

cricket46, i am the same amit.

nafis iqbal was right. england bowling is "ordinary".
Old June 8, 2004, 08:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Cricket46
Is this the same Amit?

Anyway, the first problem that I have with Nafis is the fact that he said England attack was “ordinary” . May be he is too young and out of excitement of scoring a 100 he said that. Remember the century was in a practice match. I am very much against players talking like that. Read what Sarwan said about our bowlers after scoring the big double ton against Bangladesh. Not a bad thing. Let Nafis grow. Hope he does not have an attitude problem.
I don't think Sarwan was asked about our bowling... besides its our feilding that let us down. The English journalists, from what I have heard actually asked Nafis about the English bowling.
Old June 8, 2004, 09:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

u think murali kartik is the best left arm spinner in the world? u make me laugh, that guy bowls like bag of crap, he got hammered by inzi and other players in the odi's this year vs india. Others come ahead of him, u think he is better than vettori, rafique (just because hes had a bad series doenst make him a bad player) and nicky boje. I dont think so m8.
Old June 8, 2004, 09:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

i dotn think so. They probably have one of the bets in the world right now, with harmison, jones, hoggard, anderson. They may not have the best spinners but they have a fantastic pace bowling set up with others coming up through the ranks.
Old June 8, 2004, 10:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

To be fair to Nafis Iqbal, I believe he had specifically said that the English spinner's performance in that practice match was "ordinary".

Quote:
Originally posted by Huda
Quote:

i dotn think so. They probably have one of the bets in the world right now, with harmison, jones, hoggard, anderson. They may not have the best spinners but they have a fantastic pace bowling set up with others coming up through the ranks.
Old June 8, 2004, 10:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

ei cheler matha ki thik hoise...

we should check that....
Old June 8, 2004, 10:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by nasifkhan
ei cheler matha ki thik hoise...

we should check that....
kar cheler? amar mata tik ache
Old June 8, 2004, 10:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Huda:

Aapnar matha na. Aapnar post perfectly intelligent and reasonable. Onno chele. Ay chele bishash kore: anything bhrotio=#1 in the world. i.e.: bharotio gobor= #1 in the world (p.s. It don't stink either)

Regards, Huda bhai.
Old June 8, 2004, 12:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Na Huda Bhai Apnar na....

OI Amit cheletar...kotha bolsi...

Or Past Record in Banglacricket khub ekta bhalo na.