facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Should bangladesh adopt this option?

PAKISTAN players will address media conferences during the World Cup in their national language Urdu, and not in English, coach Bob Woolmer said today (AEDT).

"The Pakistani players feel comfortable in their national language," he said.

"They can express themselves freely in Urdu and they are proud of their language and their country. Our media manager Pervez Mir will act as interpreter during the press conferences."

Mir, a former international player who represented Pakistan in the inaugural World Cup in England in 1975, said players have the right to choose their language.

"It happens everywhere in the world. Football players speak in French, Latin and various other languages as they feel comfortable talking to the media in their mother tongue," he said.

Pakistan Cricket Board conducted an English course for its players two years ago, but had to abandon it as hectic schedules did not allow them to learn the language.

"We don't see it as a problem for international media as what the players say would exactly be translated into English," said Mir.

Pakistan is in Group D with West Indies, Ireland and Zimbabwe, and faces th host in Tuesday's tournament opener in Jamaica.

Reuters

Dont you think that bangladesh should adopt this option also?

i think it will help them greatly express thmeselfs they way they feel.

Old March 9, 2007, 06:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

It depends on how the player feels, If the player doesn't feel comfortable speaking in English aka Inzy then use a translator.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

I would be much more comfortable if our players speak in Bangla, except for, Shahrier Nafees. His english is ok.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:45 PM
First Class Cricketer

the english of our old gen tigers werent tht bad.. but they seemed very uncomfortable while speaking..eg Akram khan, durjoy, pilot, bulbul. our best english speaking was Athhar Ali khan. the new gen tigers shopud have the english speaking ability because we have a english speaking coach, physio, trainers. (except ash-fool) BCB should run english speaking course for the upcoming Acadamy Cricketers.:p
Old March 9, 2007, 10:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

you bet they should...

If some one is fluent then ok but for others they should be able to speak in bangla
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 10, 2007, 01:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
It depends on how the player feels, If the player doesn't feel comfortable speaking in English aka Inzy then use a translator.
Exactly. This should be practiced more. Where is it written that cricketers have to speak English?

Last edited by gatekeeper; March 10, 2007 at 01:59 AM..
Old March 10, 2007, 01:50 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

IMO, they should speak in English in front of the world media. For someone like Rafiq, Bangla should be more appropriate than English.

Pakistan is adopting the policy due to the weakness of senior players (Inzi, Younis and Yousuf) in English.
Old March 10, 2007, 03:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

tamim iqbal can speak english very well..........about Mushfiq i knw his banglish is good....but all the players shud take some english language course.....
Old March 10, 2007, 03:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

i think who can speak a lil bit english like shahriar nafees, tamim, and bashar.........they can easily carry on... but they who are comfortable with bangla..may speak in bangla...

i dont wanna talk about pakistanis... it doesnt require what pakistan/india/srilanka does, other than playing good, we should do.. we should just focus on our playing..
Old March 10, 2007, 05:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Expressing in English in front of international media does not mean in any way that you are not proud of your language and your country. It's just an excuse to save the faces who are very weak in English. Here I have the following points to ponder:
1. It is not a matter of shame to be not able to speak in commendable English for a person, whose mother tongue is other than English. I've met a lot of high ranking professional people, from countries like Japan, France etc., who are really very weak in English. In most cases, they start their speeches with an apology for not having decent English and that's all.
2. All our players should be ready to talk to the media in English, because they will not find the "interpreter" always, like when they are asking questions in the middle of the field.
3. We can easily observe that there are very few Bangladeshi ex-cricketers, who have become commentators in international media. This is all because of poor English proficiency. If we (Bangladeshi commentators) will not say about ourselves, then no one will say for us "Take that Australia"!
4. Learning any language never means that you hate your own. We are already much behind in competition with our neighbours in the international arena, only because we stopped learning English during early post-independence period. Most of our graduates from that period cannot express anything in a decent language and could not compete in international job market. We don't want to repeat that.
Old March 10, 2007, 05:55 AM
Club Cricketer

letz not worry bout it much ryte now ......... bulbul akram tamim-english med skul nafis-iqbal shahriar nannu shujon athar dese were da guyz wit gud english........pilot iz a rapper......i dunno wat he sez.........mayb hiz too gud at it.....hiz soo fast....lolz.....
Old March 10, 2007, 06:04 AM
Cricket Legend

In front of the world media, english should defintely be spoken. Yes bangla is our language, we are very proud of it and even faught a war for it. But i think we should try and at least speak english in front of the world media to convey any messages we have.

Last edited by cricket_king; March 16, 2007 at 04:46 AM..
Old March 10, 2007, 06:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Players who can should speak and players who cant shouldnt. As simple as that...why need to argue so much...
Old March 10, 2007, 08:57 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I am in favor of speaking english. It is OK if they can't, but if they can, they must. We must ensure that as many people can here us. and like it or not, most people will understand them if they speak english.
Old March 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidcombe
the english of our old gen tigers werent tht bad..
That's why they compensated by being suckie players.

I will take a non-English speaking winning team over our old teams in a heartbeat.
Old March 10, 2007, 11:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

On the other hand pakistan should follow us...what they cannt, we can...
Old March 11, 2007, 02:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
In most cases, they start their speeches with an apology for not having decent English and that's all.
i met one japanese professor in a conference...when he started his presentation, he said, im very bad in english and therefore, i will just show the slides..everything u need to know will be on the slides....ha ha ha
that was a funny "talk" but it was accepted by all..
Old March 11, 2007, 02:43 AM
Test Cricketer

If chinese,thai's and japanese doesn't speak english it makes some sence. But our education system is full of english so it is quite unacceptable if you don't speak english. I not only want them to perform well but also they should catch the attention of the big media you know. How great it would to see them in international brands?....The current paki cricketers are quite good looking still i haven't seen them attrackting big company's.
Anyway, we talked about this long ago....the new guys can have a look..
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=12177

thanks.
Old March 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Once upon a time, Cicket was the game of the rich in Bangladesh. In fact, it was not too long ago that it was kinda required that you be smart, Banglish and know a bit of cricket. But that was the days of Raqibul Hasan, Prince et al. Things have changed.. its more the game than smartness that counts. Hence, you find players like Rafique, Razzaq etc. that arent all that into the art of language. in fact, most of the Bangladeshi players cant even speak PROPER Bangla well. Does it matter? I bet it doesnt. The Captain should be able to speak a bit to the media to explain his enthusiasm, frustration etc. In that sense, the current and future captains,Suman Shahrier/Saqib are well equipped and speaks understandable English. Pakistan is not a comparison to Bangladesh,, their educational system sux big time. But one thing for sure,, they are die hard patriots when it comes to their homeland and language.
Old March 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Here we go with the same old thread of using English or Bangla by cricketers. As I said before I would be inclined to choose a good Bangladeshi cricketer who may not even have a functional vocal chord over a not-so-good Bangladeshi cricketer - talent and performance counts over ability to speak (or swear) in any particular language.
Old March 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

the least they speak to the media the better. the media are the devil. if anyone needs to speak, the captain and coach can do the honors.
Old March 12, 2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaman
letz not worry bout it much ryte now ......... bulbul akram tamim-english med skul nafis-iqbal shahriar nannu shujon athar dese were da guyz wit gud english........pilot iz a rapper......i dunno wat he sez.........mayb hiz too gud at it.....hiz soo fast....lolz.....

lol. i think you should learn how to write english. sorry dont mind, just kidding...
Old March 12, 2007, 12:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaman
when i was in bangladeshi this time i saw all my young cousins speaking english in very weird fashion..even their writing and spelling so difficult to read. Just like this one.
I think i'm getting old!
Old March 12, 2007, 02:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

I remember reading an interview with Mashud. That guy has very fluent English. Too bad he can't bat.
Old March 12, 2007, 05:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i dont care which language they speak in...
all i want from them is win.

if you a winner and a world beater...
you can talk whatever jibrish u want to..the world will translate in thier own terms...
let the ball and the bat do the talking for our tigers..
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]