facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Default Google Fiber: Anyone Excited?

http://fiber.google.com/about/

https://fiber.google.com/features/

Quote:
Google Fiber starts with a connection speed 100 times faster than today's broadband.
Instant downloads. Crystal clear high definition TV. And endless possibilities.
It's not cable. And it's not just Internet. It's Google Fiber.
I hope this becomes a reality all over the world, not just America. Remember the days since dialup? We deserve faster internet, for less! They did start with Kansas City(akabir77 bro should enjoy superfast internet ), and should spread gradually one neighborhood after another.

What's interesting is that it is built using Fiber Optics technology.

Old October 21, 2012, 04:54 AM

WOW! Is it for real?? How much would it cost per household/per month?

Ok, $70/mo, not bad at all!
Old October 21, 2012, 04:55 AM
Cricket Sage

These are only two of the lucrative features, there are many many many more...

Quote:
Super fast connectivity

At 1000 Mb per second, Google Fiber is 100 times faster than today's average Internet, allowing you to get what you want instantaneously. You no longer have to wait on things buffering; everything will be ready to go when you are. So whether you are video chatting, uploading family videos, or playing your favorite online games, all you need to do is click and you're there.

Quote:
A terabyte of cloud storage

Things happen...But no matter what happens to your computer or mobile devices, your files are safely stored in Google Drive. Keep everything. Share anything. Google Drive is everywhere you are - on the web, in your home, at the office and on the go.
Old October 21, 2012, 04:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
WOW! Is it for real?? How much would it cost per household/per month?
Just the internet itself is $70/month

Internet + 200 channels of TV is $120/month. ( you can record up to 8 shows at a time and you have 2 terabytes of storage which is about 2000 Gigabytes of Storage) that's crazy!

MMW, this is the best product in the market right now, so the value for the price is totally worth it.

Google hasn't added a phone deal and rightly so in the age of cell phones/iPhones/Androids and skype video conference, land-phones are slowly becoming obsolete.
Old October 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Old October 21, 2012, 05:01 AM

In Canada, we might have to wait another year or so to get the Google deal!!!
Old October 21, 2012, 05:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Colorado is right next to Kansas and We still are ok maybe hopefully another 6 months ish...
Old October 21, 2012, 05:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Hope it comes to Australia soon!
Old October 21, 2012, 05:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

google fiber er dam 70 $ / month ?
er cheye pasher dokaney dui euru diya cereal kinley shetatei fiber o achey, abar vitamins,protein aro koto ki.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I hope this becomes a reality all over the world, not just America.
Most of the rest of the of the developed world are doing just fine : http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/9/323...internet-speed

I know that HongKong, SKorea, Japan and few European countries has faster internet speed option than this google offer for at-least 4-5 yrs now at much much lower price. What Google is doing might be new in USA and at a very small scale, but its not new to a lot of the developed world.

On a related note. My guestimation is that 98% of on internet users won't benefit from a gigabit connection because your bottleneck would be your network, disk, router and websites/web-services you are using. Chances are 98% of the website/webserver don't have anything more than a 50-100mbit upstream connection.

You won't even notice and difference between 100mbit and 1gbit connection from your end, from a regular user perspective.

A die hard geek could do a lot of cool stuff with that kind of speed though.

-------------

Wearing my tin-foil hat.

Google is doing this is in USA because its trying to save its a$$ for future anti-net-neutrality bills that the big media are trying to pass for the last 4-5 years. Basically 3-4 companies that control the internet backbone in USA is trying to restrict internet usage for consumers by instituting tiered based internet usage (ie, package 1 gives you access to youtube/gmail package 2 gives you access to google.com and so on and so forth) and they are also trying to stop unlimited internet plans on wired broadband connection. Legally they can't do it, but they can do it on wireless network; like how verizon and att gives you 2gb package.

If this kind of bill passes in USA (and there is a good possibility in the near future depending on the outcome of the election) then it will seriously screw up google's earning. Not only is USA Google's biggest market but google thrives because of the unrestricted way the internet works.

Currently the internet backbone is heavily controlled by 4-5 players (verizon and att to name a few). By becoming an internet backbone themselves google can restrict its heavy dependence on verizon network. In the event if a restrictive internet bill passes google will have an option to directly serve unrestricted internet option which will prevent other internet companies from having restrictive internet packages.

Everyone wins if google is successful in this. The users win with unrestricted high speed internet and google wins by more internet usage and not being dependent on others.

I am 99.99% sure google is unlikely to provide Google Fiber service outside USA anytime soon if ever. This is not like a software you install, this not even a hardware, this is a utility service like laying train tracks or telephone lines; which big companies spent years and billions of dollars to install. Its not easy and not going to happen over night.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:46 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Kansas city? Who lives there? I think it will be 10 years before it reaches my door.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

i LIVE in there... And we got Google Fiber... lol The big thing in KC is now people renting their rooms to small business owners from silicon valley to start their business (like game developers and what not... )..
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old October 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Why the eff would the start this in Kansas City? Who lives there?
Old October 22, 2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Kabir bhai!
Old October 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Kansas city won the right to have it after a competition among other great cities... One of the other city's mayor even went to the lake or ocean naked for Google to notice them.
U might not know but google people knows what is in Kansas city...
Old October 22, 2012, 07:40 PM
Club Cricketer

I am excited about this:

Old October 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Hope so, we have the worst internet offers/deals/service/speed/everything out of all first world countries, plus the usage BS
And its overpriced compare to other countries, damn Rogers/Bell hope they get destroyed if Google comes.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Try Teksavvy
Old October 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Heard about Teksavvy, but since our phone and my dad's cellphone service is with them anyways he doesn't change it.

I'm not even sure if Google can provide their services in Canada (if they wanted to) due to the CRTC and how Bhell/Robbers are always 'persuading' them.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Cricket Guru

here we go...

They have started the process.

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com....-kick-off.html
Old November 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib
Default Google Fiber is the game changer

Google Fiber is in a different level altogether than what other countries (South Korea, Japan included) or the ISP competitors in U.S. have. Nothing else even come close!
It is true that the average broadband speed in U.S. may lag a bit compared to other smaller countries with more managed network, but most of the U.S. ISPs now offer high-speed fiber optics that are many times faster than the "average" speed and will soon change the standings, as more U.S. markets converts to the high-end offerings.

Here is quick comparison to illustrate this:

- Avg internet speed in South Korea (ranked #1): 15.7 mbps
- Avg internet speed in U.S.A. (ranked #12): 6.7 mbps
- Avg speed of AT&T UVerse (mid-tier plans): 24mbps
- Avg speed of Xfinity (mid-tier plans): 30mbps
- Comcast Xfinity Business Max Speed : 100 mbps
- Verizon FIOS Max Speed: 300 mbps
- Google Fiber: 1000 mbps

Google Fiber is currently very limited and may possibly take 2-3 years to increase coverage enough to be competitive in U.S. markets. But eventually, its a game-changer no doubt!

The other point to note about gigabit network is that current 802.11 WiFi model can't take full advantage of that astonishing speed (I think Wifi maxes out at 600mbps). From a typical user stand-point, even with 3-4 devices using the internet simultaneously (NetFlix, Surfing, Pandora, Youtube etc.), the difference between a 15mbps and a 25mbps speed is almost indistinguishable. To compare our recent XFinity upgrade to 30mbps, we tried a dozen device including a PS3 game-server hosting, Youtube video & Facebook album uploads, Pandora, surfing and Netflix movie streaming and only then we could detect some difference.
I would think it would be much harder to distinguish between a 75mbps FIOS offering vs a Google Fiber on a residential line.

On another note, I noticed in many Asian countries wireless broadband (i.e. USB datapack) is rapidly growing. Due to the ease of deployment and use, compared to laying down fiber networks, may overtake the traditional ISP model in the long run.
For example in Manila, 3G wireless networks offering 2-3mbps+ broadband on prepaid/rechargeable Flash cards simply makes more sense than a faster land-based ISP with hassles of monthly contract. With LTE and LTE-advanced protocols, wireless data will eventually range between 50-100 mbps and will probably spread to rest of the world faster than fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
Most of the rest of the of the developed world are doing just fine : http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/9/323...internet-speed

I know that HongKong, SKorea, Japan and few European countries has faster internet speed option than this google offer for at-least 4-5 yrs now at much much lower price. What Google is doing might be new in USA and at a very small scale, but its not new to a lot of the developed world.

On a related note. My guestimation is that 98% of on internet users won't benefit from a gigabit connection because your bottleneck would be your network, disk, router and websites/web-services you are using. Chances are 98% of the website/webserver don't have anything more than a 50-100mbit upstream connection.

You won't even notice and difference between 100mbit and 1gbit connection from your end, from a regular user perspective.

A die hard geek could do a lot of cool stuff with that kind of speed though.

-------------

Wearing my tin-foil hat.

Google is doing this is in USA because its trying to save its a$$ for future anti-net-neutrality bills that the big media are trying to pass for the last 4-5 years. Basically 3-4 companies that control the internet backbone in USA is trying to restrict internet usage for consumers by instituting tiered based internet usage (ie, package 1 gives you access to youtube/gmail package 2 gives you access to google.com and so on and so forth) and they are also trying to stop unlimited internet plans on wired broadband connection. Legally they can't do it, but they can do it on wireless network; like how verizon and att gives you 2gb package.

If this kind of bill passes in USA (and there is a good possibility in the near future depending on the outcome of the election) then it will seriously screw up google's earning. Not only is USA Google's biggest market but google thrives because of the unrestricted way the internet works.

Currently the internet backbone is heavily controlled by 4-5 players (verizon and att to name a few). By becoming an internet backbone themselves google can restrict its heavy dependence on verizon network. In the event if a restrictive internet bill passes google will have an option to directly serve unrestricted internet option which will prevent other internet companies from having restrictive internet packages.

Everyone wins if google is successful in this. The users win with unrestricted high speed internet and google wins by more internet usage and not being dependent on others.

I am 99.99% sure google is unlikely to provide Google Fiber service outside USA anytime soon if ever. This is not like a software you install, this not even a hardware, this is a utility service like laying train tracks or telephone lines; which big companies spent years and billions of dollars to install. Its not easy and not going to happen over night.